Author Topic: Ranking The Seasons  (Read 56795 times)

EAOWadsy

Ranking The Seasons
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
Lets bring this topic back to life... Here are my seasonal rankings from WORST to BEST: (I haven't seen all of 29 so I'm excluding it from the list)

28: TAR 16 -  I honestly tried watching this one before, to just give it another go. Nope, sorry. You still suck terribly, and Carol & Brandy are the worst team ever to have participated in the show. In fact, the whole cast are just awful in my opinion, with the exception of the Cowboys.

27: TAR 8 - I understand that a lot of people have this one higher, and I... DID. After seeing it recently it drops right to the bottom. They never left the States, and Panama and Costa Rica don't count, although I did enjoy Canada. The teams were awful, cringe-worthy and embarrassing to say the least. I didn't like anyone that participated here, except for the Black, Rogers and Gaghan Family, and they all got kicked off too early. Pretty awful ideas with this season.

26: TAR 24 - Yeah, does anybody like this season? I mean anyone? I didn't think so. Poor editing, very horrendous All-Stars cast, and a 3 continent season - bleh! The non eliminations were all placed poorly, most of the tasks were abysmal and the boot order was shocking.

25: TAR 13 - I know I may get a bit of hate for this but I just don't like it. I felt that the editing and production were extremely poor, and besides perhaps the first four legs, the rest of it was unbelievably painful. I do not like Russia, Kazakhstan wasn't that exciting and we all knew who was going to win, for worse.

24. TAR 10 - I know a lot of people love Season 10, and I can understand (sort of) why. To me, it's just a complete train-wreck of a season. The locations were not very good (besides Mongolia, Kuwait, Finland and Ukraine), the editing was not at it's best and the final leg was awful. I think the worst thing about it were the teams, what were they thinking? The six pack alliance were a laughing joke!

23: TAR 14 - Another popular season, but for the wrong reasons. I didn't hate it, in fact it's the first one on the list here that I can sit through, but I despised the second half and the awful locations (after Romania). The Kisha & Jenn and Margie & Luke battling was despicable, and three legs in China is unacceptable. I hated the winners.

22. TAR 15 - This used to be a lot higher on the list, but it's drifted down immensely. There are a few positives, but a lot more negatives. Firstly, I liked how they brought back 12 legs, but eliminating a team then having a NEL on the same leg was wrong, and they didn't have any aired U-Turns and only one Fast Forward the entire race. The Czech legs were poor and I didn't much care for the final as it seemed inevitable who would win. It just wasn't exciting to me.

21. TAR 9 - This is another season that had more negatives than positives, but there was a lot to like. It just doesn't hold up as being particularly memorable for the right reasons. Two teams practically dominated the entire season, the non-elimination legs were all bunched at the end eliminating suspense, and the entire season just seemed underwhelming. I really don't know why, but the locations were extremely positive and one of the best of the series.

20. TAR 12 - Blasphemy much? lol. Not a bad season, not bad at all. I just preferred the editing, 12-legger previous racers more. The countries along with TAR6 and 9 were up there among the best, but it was brought down by having way too many consecutive elimination legs in the first half, eliminating suspense and having a rather bleak team win when we all wanted a father/daughter or father/son win for a change. The winners did nothing for the show.

19. TAR 1 - I really want to love this season more than I do, I do. It really came down to things that EVERY future season did better, like Phil being at the mat, proper editing, music when it needed to be there, un-predictable non-elimination legs, and boring episodes in some places. I really do like it, buuuuut, the editing was like an early 90's Sega game. It just doesn't hold up so well today.

18. TAR 27 - One of the newest seasons of the race, and while they tried to go back to the routes of it's first season, there's a lot that went wrong. I can tell you one thing wrong - the green team. The nice dancers getting eliminated early, multiple stupid to be continued legs instead of simple NEL's, the placement of those TBC legs and some weak episodes. It's not a bad season, but could have been better.

17. TAR 11 - The original All-Star season is a rocky ride. It provided some of the race's best legs as well as some of the very worst. As for the all-star teams themselves, well I was highly disappointed that no one from either TAR4 or 6 were represented, and the boot order isn't the best. I wanted Charla and Mirna to win the season, or even D & K, but whatever. Hardly any Europe was visited, too long in South America copying TAR7 and a mediocre penultimate and final.

16. TAR 28 - Another recent season shown off did well in some areas. I liked the idea of them visiting Columbia, the French Alps and especially Armenia and Georgia - very colorful. The Dubai leg was also quite good, even if they have been there a million time. Everything after that is just plain and dull in many ways, but it is still a good season. Just not one of the best.

15. TAR 4 - The first classic season to make the list. Season 4 is a very neat season, with a great route in the beginning and another visit to Australia since the second season. I guess what puts this so low are the cast, very hard going and some are even abusive and use violent language. The other problem I had with this was the suspense - very minimal. This was one of those seasons where they bunched all NEL's at the end, which was a big downgrade. It was good though.

14. TAR 21 - I hate ranking this one this low because so many great things are present. I loved the cast, even though they blatantly eliminated off Abby & Ryan. James & Abba got a bad deal in Russia and the Twinnies bit the dust in Spain, got spared but then got the boot in France. It was a very good season, and I think this is the point where we get into the seasons that gave a very good impression. The downsides - too much Asia and the boring Russian legs. TUR, NET, SPN and FRA were great though, and the final leg was very enjoyable.

13. TAR 17 - This is another season that I've grown to appreciate a lot more over the years. We get the first all FF team win the million, and most of the legs were just fantastic. It is definitely a solid season, and I guess the only reason why it's this low is due to the fact that we only got 1 U-Turn and 1 Fast Forward appearance, another visit to Russia (I just do not like it when the race goes here - like how others don't like India or China), Nick & Vicki being one of the dumbest teams in TAR and the very very sad elimination of Gary & Mallory in Oman.

12. TAR 19 - It has gone down just slightly, but I do love this season. Sure, some may think that the editing is all over the place, and some very bad unplanned legs etc. While that is present with the two Thai legs, we do have a solid season. This one had so much suspense going for it! A first leg NEL, followed by a double elim, the 'Hazard' twist, Double U Turns back to back legs, Malawi, Denmark and Belgium for the first time and a solid group of contestants. It's fun to watch, so I highly recommend this season.

11. TAR 2 - A beautiful classic season, and a great one all around. I enjoyed the visits to new countries like Brazil, Australia and New Zealand. It really showcased the best in it's countries, and then you have Oswald & Danny and Blake & Paige, with a mention to the gutsy grannies. The negative aspects were for the most part - Chris & Alex and Tara & Wil. I could not stand most of their scenes and the disgusting attitude of Tara & Wil in particular, and the winners were meh. They also repeated trips to South Africa, Thailand and China which was done in the first season.

10. TAR 23 - At this point, it was very hard for me to rank the top ten. 23 is at #10, and I must say, I used to scratch this season as being ugly and dull, but it has really grown on me. A lot works, and we have a great bunch of teams, good NEL positioning, a lot of beautiful Chile, Europe, Abu Dhabi and Indonesia. OK, so it may not be up there with the likes of the earlier seasons but it did a lot of things right.

9. TAR 25 - This is the season that essentially saved AR from extinction. The prior season was just so awful that they had to make drastic changes for it to be fun again. This one brought about some highly memorable teams from all over, great countries in the Virgin Islands - USA, UK, Italy, Malta and the Philippines. I wasn't very impressed by the Denmark/Sweden visit or Morocco but that's my opinion. The 'Save' pass was not used properly here either, and I'm glad it never came back. The first season to have a final four finale was suspenseful, and I loved the idea. Very good season to go back to the routes, with a few flaws.

8. TAR 26 - The sister season with a final four finale comes next. A lot of people hate this one, but for me it was such a wicked ride. I loved most of the teams, the countries visited were awesome this time around (like they really tried), the couples theme was cool for a season and what I thought needed improving with S25 was improved here. The only downside I guess was the boot order, and NEL teams going home the next leg every time.

7. TAR 20 - Yes, this one seems to be popular among all TAR fans. It's a very fun ride with a cast that you would actually like to root for, nice countries in Argentina, Paraguay, Germany, Azerbaijan, Tanzania and even India. Every leg was sincerely a joy ride and there was no real dud here. Booper and Mark were fan favourites, and Brenchel were for better or worse for some. I didn't like how the race ended in Hawaii, instead of mainland US but a minor gripe. Fun season.

6. TAR 22 - When this first came on TV I was stoked by the effort to bring colorful teams in which they did, and colorful destinations. The route was amazing! Instead of just the usual Asia trip for five legs, they go to Bora Bora and then New Zealand. What about Asia? Two legs here and honestly, I loved them both here. Botswana and Switzerland came after and were great, along with Germany and the UK. The finale was not mind-blowing but the entire season is one of my favourites.

5. TAR 18 - I love this season! A lot. Suspense at every turn, a sad elimination here and there, and a (mostly) great list of countries and tasks. When the race visits Australia and Switzerland , you know it's going to be great. This season has one of the greatest casts seen on the show, even though they brought back too many S14 teams. There were many twists and turns, and I loved the westerly travel route. Meh winners, but everything seemed golden here.

4. TAR 5 - I know a lot of people have this at #1, and for sure I can understand why. I just watched it again recently and think most people would get a kick out of seeing a 6 continent season while travelling 62000 miles. You also have the likes of Charla & Mirna, the Bowling Mums, Chip & Kim and Colin & Christie - despite the bully that he is. Seasons 5, 6 and 7 were most definitely the golden age of the series, and a newcomer should start with S5. The only aspects that brought it down for me were the lack of Europe (I've mentioned before that I do not like Russia on TAR so it doesn't count) and the second Philippine leg in El Nido. At this point they were still getting the editing right - where Phil would inform us that a particular leg was an elimination, yet clues stated 'may' be eliminated, or legs were Phil would mention nothing of an elimination, but the last team was still kicked out (Charla & Mirna and Kami & Karli). That aside, it gets a solid 9/10 and it is outstanding.

3. TAR 7 - Another season which people have at the top of their lists. Though, I am finding more opinions being divided for Season 7. It was definitely a Rob & Amber season, you can't help that really. Though, I liked the Argentinian legs here more than in TAR5, the African safari trips were fantastic with animals and teams going to a kids orphanage. India gave teams a cultural difference, and then you have Europe at the very end this time - Turkey and the United Kingdom. They practically visited NO Asia besides from India. That was a positive aspect for me, so while the locations didn't seem great on paper, the effect was solid. They did spend too much time in South America and in Africa I'll admit, and I was let down by the lack of equalizers which caused the elimination of Brian & Greg and a couple of others. I like equalizers if used correctly to make things more suspenseful. I loved the winners of the season, and was and is still a 'gold' star season.

2. TAR 3 - This is an old season, but also a solid 10/10 in my opinion. Along with Season 7, 3 has the best cast of the entire series and that is not a lie. The teams got me so invested in the show, but if it wasn't the teams, it was the locations (Mexico, UK, Germany, Austria and Switzerland etc.), if not the locations, then the suspense/tasks. This season perfected on the negative things of the first and second seasons, and it is my opinion the 'BEST' season, though not quite my favourite.

1. TAR 6 - Well, again, this is an unpopular opinion but I love Season 6 to death for many reasons. It has the greatest route of the series, greatest set of challenges and tasks, the most suspense, some great editing and it never got boring. The cast of TAR6 may not be the best, but they sure kept me entertained even when teams such as Jonathan & Victoria, Adam & Rebecca or even Hayden & Aaron fought. It was such an entertaining season, with teams facing the worst set of tasks to challenge even their biggest fears. I loved Scandinavia, Senegal, the Hungarian legs, Corsica, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and especially X'ian. My favorite leg of the race is the penultimate leg in X'ian, and I highly recommend this season if you can get over Jonathan.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Ranking The Seasons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
:welcome: to RFF EAOWadsy !

Great analysis...I like some seasons more than you do, but love hearing why!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:32:29 PM »
I liked this topic (altough someone seemed made this topic before, but i don't wanna to ruin the momentum)! So herr my ranks about 29 seasons of TAR... (I'm not analyzing the reason since i'm lazy to type too much)

(Low to High)
29. TAR 22
28. TAR 24
27. TAR 23
26. TAR 14
25. TAR 4
24. TAR 10
23. TAR 15
22. TAR 16
21. TAR 20
20. TAR 27
19. TAR  6
18. TAR 11
17. TAR 9
16. TAR 12
15. TAR 19
14. TAR 2
13. TAR 1
12. TAR 21
11. TAR 17
10. TAR 28
9. TAR 13
8. TAR 8
7. TAR 7
6. TAR 18
5. TAR 26
4. TAR 3
3.TAR 29
2. TAR 5
1.TAR 25
what might have been

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »
Here is my list for TAR US:
Going from the worst season, to the best season:
28) TAR 24
27) TAR 13
26) TAR 5
25) TAR 10
24) TAR 20
23) TAR 8
22) TAR 16
23) TAR 18
22) TAR 21
21) TAR 14
20) TAR 11
19) TAR 23
18) TAR 9
17) TAR 3
16) TAR 2
15) TAR 4
14) TAR 26
13) TAR 25
12) TAR 19
11) TAR 7
10) TAR 13
9) TAR 11
8) TAR 12
7) TAR 17
6) TAR 15
5) TAR 16
4) TAR 29
3) TAR 8
2) TAR 6 (Sorry John and Victoria haters, but they made this season)
1) TAR 22 (BEST LOCATIONS!) :conf:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:01:45 AM by BourkieBoy »

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 02:02:15 AM »
You put TAR6 fourth last and in first.

And putting TAR5 that low??  :groan:

Sorry about that. It's all fixed now

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:07 AM »
Here's my list. (from best to worst)

1. 5
2. 29
3. 25
4. 3
5. 6
6. 7
8. 10
9. 12
10. 14
11. 17
12. 26
13. 27
14. 28
15. 22
16. 18
17. 13
18. 2
19. 11
20. 20
21. 1
22. 23
23. 21
24. 4
25. 19
26. 8
27. 9
28. 16
29. 24
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:17:06 AM »
5 literally went to all the continents minus antarctica how is it not best locations by default

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:03:41 AM »
5 literally went to all the continents minus antarctica how is it not best locations by default

EAOWadsy

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Yes, Season 5 did go to all of the continents but Europe was the least touched, and Europe makes up for a pretty big ounce of a season's quality. I have never been a fan of Russia, and almost don't consider it to be EUR. The way most people feel about the race going to China and India applies to me with Russia, I just don't like it when the race goes there, never have. Perhaps if they visited more forested destinations I would appreciate it more.

What kills TAR 5 from being my pick for top season was exactly that, the lack of Europe considering what we had in the prior and following season. Also, the editing wasn't as great as it was in either seasons 6 or 7. That aside, the season for sure is amazing, as they fit quite a lot into one season.

For me, Seasons 3, 6, 12 and 22 had the best locations, even if I am not a fan of 12. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:59:37 AM by EAOWadsy »

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
But a show isn't just about locations. I mean S3 route wasn't great.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
Canada

Here's my list. (from best to worst)

1. 25
2. 29
3. 18
4. 22
5. 7
6. 6
7. 17
8. 20
9. 28 - unpopular opinion
10. 11
11. 3
12. 4
13. 5
14. 23
15. 21
16. 14
17. 2
18. 1
19. 12
20. 26
21. 15
22. 27
23. 19
24. 13
25. 9
26. 16
27. 10
28. 8
29. 24
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

EAOWadsy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
But a show isn't just about locations. I mean S3 route wasn't great.

I never said that it was. You have to weigh up everything for it to be the best season.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Yes, Season 5 did go to all of the continents but Europe was the least touched, and Europe makes up for a pretty big ounce of a season's quality.

TAR24 also went to Europe for nearly half of the season though... and we all know how THAT went :lol:

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
no order (my top 10):

29/1

EAOWadsy

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »
Yes, Season 5 did go to all of the continents but Europe was the least touched, and Europe makes up for a pretty big ounce of a season's quality.

TAR24 also went to Europe for nearly half of the season though... and we all know how THAT went :lol:

Indeed... Trust me, I'm not all about the locations. I love the other aspects like suspense (NEL positioning, flights, bunching, drama, U-Turns and Fast Forwards), tasks in a season, the cast and their likability and the editing. I literally just finished watching a full run of TAR 5 and while I love it, I still prefer 3, 6 and 7.

Going back to locations, yes, some seasons like 9, 15 and 24 had a lot of Europe but I do not like any of them much due to other issues. For me, season 6 did everything right if you can exclude some over the top moments with Jonathan Baker, and Kendra Bentley winning.