Author Topic: TAR 29 Ep 11 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 5/25/17  (Read 24813 times)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 29 Ep 11 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 5/25/17
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
On the map they didn't show Seoul but Southern China  :funny: :groan:

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 02:43:25 AM »
 Matt & Redmond never placed lower than 4th place in their entire run. Can't believe this season's already going to end. It was one great season.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:04 AM »
Matt & Redmond never placed lower than 4th place in their entire run. Can't believe this season's already going to end. It was one great season.
They are the only one who ever get eliminated among those having the same record  :funny:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:33 AM »
I thought the map looked weird but wasn't sure if they were straight up wrong or were just using an odd angle :lol:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »
I don't think it's fair to say that taking the subway was an obviously bad move. Matt & Redmond might have been playing it safe thinking the other teams would get stuck in traffic or whatever, and probably figured that the subway would put them in first.

Going to disagree here. The "playing it safe" move would have been to stick with the pack and take a taxi. Taking a risk as the only team on the subway was a dumb move worthy of elimination imo.

Anyway, I think this was a good episode but really wish we could have seen more of Seoul. Could have put some of these tasks in any other country and I'd be none the wiser.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
You should see the Fighting Game Community's reaction to last night's episode.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »

Negative?

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »

Matt has quickly defeated the opponent in record time for racers

Wasn't he the only one who beat his opponent before the blindfold (less than 20 attempts)?

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »

Negative?

Mainly towards Tara and Joey.

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »

Negative?

I'm not surprised - they acted like the guy just wanted to prove himself by beating Tara. Like they were expecting some lesser treatment just because a woman, and a non-gamer age was playing with them (if you know what I mean). Can someone who knows something about gaming explain if the guy was really harder to beat than the others?

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »

Negative?

I'm not surprised - they acted like the guy just wanted to prove himself by beating Tara. Like they were expecting some lesser treatment just because a woman, and a non-gamer age was playing with them (if you know what I mean). Can someone who knows something about gaming explain if the guy was really harder to beat than the others?

Well, he is a pro.  Many gamers and Amazing Race fans felt that Tara and Joey were being disrespectful to and insulting the SFV players.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Tara & Joey definitely did NOT come off well this past leg.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
So sad to see the boys eliminated. I hoped this was the season where final 3 is final 4, and just somewhere in the finale leg someone will be eliminated. Can they also be invited back for an All-stars?

I don't see any rigging. The boys took a risk and just did not pay off. But I am still good because had they also took the taxi, Tara and Joey would have gone home and I wouldn't want that because they are the team I am rooting for.

Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 07:16:40 PM »
May I add too, I am not a gamer, I see myself like London in playing, just pushing buttons and didn't even know what is happening and then I see Tara, and I think I am also like Tara when it comes to video games.  :funny: :funny: :funny:
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »

Negative?

Well, he is a pro.  Many gamers and Amazing Race fans felt that Tara and Joey were being disrespectful to and insulting the SFV players.

I understand Joey's frustration and where his comments were coming from. But not unlike the rowers in during the Panama leg, the SFV players were probably also instructed that they were not allowed to simply throw the game and let the racers win.
I also understand Tara's comments, or at least, where she was coming from, but those comments did come of as if she was disdaining gamers / video games.
Interesting this was the same point (leg) of the race that Burnie and Ashley were eliminated in TAR28. I imagine they'd have fared well if they were running this leg.

ETA
Also, my mind went there - maybe there's a TAR curse for teams with snowboarders who performed well most of the race, but some little mistake on the last leg, before final leg, always gets them in trouble. So many things from TAR29 that reminds me from TAR19.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:01:12 PM by NumfarPTB »

Offline amazing1604

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say that taking the subway was an obviously bad move. Matt & Redmond might have been playing it safe thinking the other teams would get stuck in traffic or whatever, and probably figured that the subway would put them in first.
Going to disagree here. The "playing it safe" move would have been to stick with the pack and take a taxi. Taking a risk as the only team on the subway was a dumb move worthy of elimination imo.
I also think taking the subway is not their bad move in this leg.
I think their major mistake was when they were lost on their way to Hanyang University AND that is totally their fault of only saying "Olympic Gym" earlier so.....

Offline amazing1604

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
BY THE WAY... LOVED THIS LEG!  :conf:

I mean... i didn't see much of Korean culture aside of those kimchi preparation, but those stacking cups and video games task was surprisingly enjoyable to watch! Still hoping that K-Pop routines will be served as a task rather than just be a clue giver... In my fantasy K-Pop vs Video Games will be an awesome Detour  :bunny

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
I think the way Tara & Joey reacted to the video game task was due to them being the only Gen X team left at that point. Video games are considered cool by Millennials, but in the 90s and early 2000s they were stigmatized as being a hobby for slackers and anti-social people
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »
I thought the map looked weird but wasn't sure if they were straight up wrong or were just using an odd angle :lol:
I thought they just tilted the map. I didn't have enough time to analyze if it was truly correct even after 2 viewings of the show.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:03 PM »
Being short since i'm kinda lazy writing long thought right now...

This leg was suprisingly amazing, despite the pesimism i wrote and Bitch and Moaning section... I'm sticking with my argument about they should have been explore Seoul more than this, since we could do these tasks anywhere beside Seoul, but these tasks were suprisingly intense and fun , especially with Vid games tasks... I was full of joyful and screaming with racers got frantic with this task (Hi Tara and Joey :lol )... The Kimchi Ari was a great balance for the double RB... The editing was great and  intense tought...

Sad to see the #unboyliveable go, but the Taxi lost was the main factor beside the Subway that made them eliminated...
what might have been

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 01:14:41 AM »
This was a great penultimate leg, even though it may not be my favorite leg, which for me is Greece by the way. We finally got a night leg! It has become a rare occurrence in recent seasons.

Stacking cups for a roadblock seems like it can be done anywhere. In fact, it's a great idea for a task that can be done on any locally hosted and organized TAR. Not the ones shown on TV, but ones that are just made for fun and for a certain community, iykwim. Still, this task proves to be difficult, albeit not to a penultimate level. Culture-wise, I think TAR is trying to show the "Asian"-ness of children in SoKor. ??? :lol: With 3 teams bunched up there, it was still fun watching it.

Kimchi-making was definitely part of food culture. Now anybody can make kimchi at home! There are certain steps in making kimchi, and not every team got all 6 servings approved on their 1st try. It's not penultimate-level difficult, but it's still a nice way to show culture. Also, at least we got an ARI in the penultimate leg! :wohoo:

Video games sounded easy at first. :lol: They're competing against professionals though. The handicaps given to the opponent players remind me of the handicaps given to the opponent teams during the Leg 1 boat-rowing detour. It's almost impossible to get it on the 1st try. I'm guessing Burnie & Ashley would've aced this task and won the leg had they been in this season instead. Culture-wise, it shows how e-sports becomes a part of modern South Korean culture. Not every cultural task has to be something that belonged in the past. ;) It looks like a really fun task for a penultimate leg, but I don't really know how to rate the difficulty. Maybe I'd be like Scott, a loser for quite a while but will eventually get it. :lol:

Brooke & Scott owned this leg! Brooke is better off as a winner then a whiner, of course. Brooke is becoming more of a Scott, by reminding herself that she can do it. Less whining, more success. :hrt: I don't need her whining drama to like her. I just need that powerful determination she's been hiding all the way here. She is more victorious that way. :hoot: Meanwhile, Scott is still as funny as ever, although none of his quotes from this episode caught my attention very much. Either they or LoLo deserve the leg win, and I'm glad these 2 underdog teams are the Top 2 for the penultimate leg. :conf:

LoLo also did well this leg. What stood out from them this leg is London's way of playing video games. :funny: "I'm a girl. I grew up with a sister. We dance and play with flowers." or something like that. The way she was playing it was so funny, but it was very effective! She almost defeated the opponent before the blindfold handicap. Also, I'm guessing her "I will win! I will win, I will win, I will win!" will be next episode's last montage for the Previously On segment. :lol: LoLo did well this leg, so they deserved to win. 2nd was still a good place though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they win this season. :hoot:

Tara & Joey did well too, that was until the video game roadblock. To be honest, I was actually offended when she was cursing too much about video games, unlike in any other task for the whole season. I'll just understand where she's coming from, and that video games are not really meant for some people, but hopefully she doesn't really have to hate it that way after almost-miserably failing a task. What had them last in Vietnam was a mistake. This one was a lack of skill, so I believe this is the worst task they've encountered all season, which proves that video games can still be penultimately difficult for them. I was actually hoping they'd lose with 4th place after their negativity towards a video game task, but I checked spoilers, so I knew that wasn't happening. Still a decent team who can win the race though, but I'm not likely to lean towards them because I'm rooting more for the underdogs and they've won more than any of the remaining teams.

Matt & Red definitely took a risk taking the subway, as the safest way was to bunch up with the pack even though there'll be traffic as expected. It's like taking an earlier flight alone, since no one will ever know if it will be delayed or not. The risk didn't pay off well, but they still remained confident and positive, from the roadblock, to the ARI, and to the 2nd roadblock, where they finally caught up. Another factor that put them behind was the miscommunication with the cab driver. It was definitely not rigged, LOL! The cab driver misheard it, and it's a good thing Matt clarified it before they even got to the destination. The discount didn't matter because they didn't have money issues anyway, but it was a away for the cab driver to apologize for the lost time. At least this cab driver is better than other cab drivers we've seen in the past. Meanwhile, I really like how Matt finished his roadblock before the blindfolding handicap. It proves that if they didn't take the subway and ran a smooth leg like Brooke & Scott or LoLo, they could've easily won the leg. On the other hand, if the cab driver didn't take some of their lost time, they might've at least survived 3rd. Might - because we don't really know the time difference between their arrival and Tara & Joey's. My mom was rooting for Matt & Red, and I find them a really strong team that was easy to root for. At least they remained positive and confident all the way until it was really over. :torche It was sad to see them go, but this gives underdog teams a better chance to win the race. On an unrelated note, we should have an all-star season with purely 4th-placed teams as contestants! :D

On another unrelated note, I actually wished I was watching Becca & Floyd playing these games for fun, whether it'd be stacking cups or playing video games. :( They should return for all-stars too! :hoot: When checking spoilers, I was surprised that neither Team Fun nor Matt & Red made it to the finale, despite them being the 1st 2 at LAX. With these 2 strong teams gone, there's a better chance for underdogs to win. This now reminds me of TAR21, when all the really strong teams were taken down one by one.

Overall, this was still a great penultimate leg! When was the last time we had a penultimate night leg, TAR15? ???

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 03:46:20 AM »
The peninsula looks similar to Korea but you can easily see Hainan Island below.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2017, 05:12:09 AM »
 :groan: :funny:

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
It was great penultimate leg, cups stacking challenge was cool, i love kimchi, and Street Fighther was one of my fav games when i was a kid  :hrt: :hrt:
So sad #TheBoys eliminated because of the taxi  :'( :'(
What did Tara say about the video games  :didimiss:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
I didn't find any of Tara's comments offensive, it was more that she got very frustrated with herself.
Joey, however, felt the need to call the pro a "wannabe cool kid", someone who "wants to beat a girl" or something like that. :groan: It was really the first boldly negative aspect of their edit.

I loved this episode, despite there being little surprise in the elimination. I loved the suspenseful fight for 1st place (and loved even more that Brooke won the leg <33333) and the tasks were great. I especially loved the speed stacking, because it seemed really fun while also challenging and requiring time to practice? :lol: