Author Topic: TAR 29 Ep 9 & 10 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 5/18/17 NOTE 9PM start!  (Read 19457 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Having watched TAR3 over and over so many times over the years, as soon as Brooke said this line last night, I felt deja vu
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Q0t1u3HIDc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Q0t1u3HIDc</a>

Offline runningblind

• RFF Full Member
  • Hope sir Terry had a pleasant talk with DEATH.

ALLLLSO I think it might be a double roadblock leg, which explains all the weirdness with Matt at the guard task and Scott before the bungee jump.

??? help me out please?

Am I wrong or did Matt (or Redmond?) say in Greece that choosing who would do the guard roadblock is determined by the fact that they need to equalise their roadblock count. BUT later stated (watching the other performing the task) that it wasn't necessary so, just his preference not to do this one?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Having watched TAR3 over and over so many times over the years, as soon as Brooke said this line last night, I felt deja vu
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Q0t1u3HIDc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Q0t1u3HIDc</a>
Oh my god this is so good! :funny:

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
I was very impressed with Floyd.  That kid just kept pushing until he couldn't push any more and he did it without complaining.  It's too bad that team fun had to go when he tried so hard.  I'm a bit annoyed with production on this leg.  How did they not think that someone could have a medical issue with such a strenuous task?  They should have at least allowed him to leave what he had and go back to pick up what he dropped.  IMO this was a preventable problem and no team should be eliminated because of a preventable problem.

Since Vietnam is within the tropical region, and filming took place around June or July, it was really hot at that time and place. Floyd not being allowed to take the load off is part of task rules, but the heat was the cause of his fatigue, not likely the heavy balancing load, although it's a factor.
The heat at the time of the filming in Southeast Asia definitely played as the major factor for what happened to Floyd that day. He had to recuperate at the delivery point after the second attempt to cool down. The rule of picking up the missing shrimp baskets with the bike makes sense because the whole objective of the task was to transport them on the bike like local fishmongers do. Otherwise, some teams would have just ditched the bike and just used their hands to carry them all. Not to mention, had they ditched the bike, the heat would have been way worse for every team because the RB performers would have to be exerting more energy to RUN back and forth with numerous deliveries. Simple science: You need more energy to run than to use a machine.

I understand, but I stand by my opinion that production should have taken the heat into consideration when planning out these tasks.  The locals may be more accustomed to doing things in that type of heat.  The racers aren't.  If production didn't anticipate that the heat could be an issue; then, that's a failure on their part.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster

ALLLLSO I think it might be a double roadblock leg, which explains all the weirdness with Matt at the guard task and Scott before the bungee jump.

??? help me out please?

Am I wrong or did Matt (or Redmond?) say in Greece that choosing who would do the guard roadblock is determined by the fact that they need to equalise their roadblock count. BUT later stated (watching the other performing the task) that it wasn't necessary so, just his preference not to do this one?

So, on Scott's podcast (which also has Sara & Logan this week, it's a good listen, I recommend it :tup) he mentions that, in his words, the roadblock count "reset" after the bungee jump where everyone was split 4-4 and that the later roadblocks were open to anyone.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
This Roadblock rule is shady as hell didn't they also do this on 24?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Kind of. It's mostly an issue of semantics BUT

- in 24, I believe no one could do more than 6? by leg 10, and then the final two legs had to end with a split of 2-1.
- in 29, teams had to have a 4-4 split at the end of leg 9, then the RB tally is reset completely (granted I suspect if next leg is a double RB one, they'll force each person to do one).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
This Roadblock rule is shady as hell didn't they also do this on 24?

Not shady at all if the rules are clearly explained to the racers.. which they were. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Oh my god this is so good! :funny:

Oh my! Brooke is the new Flo. The legacy lives on :funny:

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
It was great and challenging tasks, especially leg 10, and i love Ninh Bình's landscape  :hrt: :hrt:

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
Team Fun for All-Stars!
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Ack. I was too busy to write a review ASAP, so I might have forgotten stuff, despite having an outline. I'll still try, but I guess I'll shorten what I have to say for each point. Also, this is unedited, so please excuse any spelling/grammar errors. :-X

Corinth Canal Switchback Roadblock: Switchbacks bring us back to Classic TAR. :hrt:
Detour: I like how the bamboo detour is limited to 3 teams only. It forces some teams to do the other side of the detour. I wonder if the mannequin detour is also limited in slots or not. Bamboo detour is like a puzzle with the ladder transporting part, but it's technically a delivery task too. Mannequin detour is attention to detail task, but also physical with the way it's being transported. I would say detour is somewhat or almost balanced, but I can't tell for sure. They are both of Leg 9 difficulty though.
Bike Switchback Roadblock: I like how we have back to back episodes of roadblock switchbacks. Difficulty shown with Floyd's performance. One of the most successful switchbacks in my opinion.
Speedbump: Challenging enough; F5-worthy speedbump. Also effective speedbump since 2 teams passed Tara & Joey during the speedbump.
ARI: Challenging enough. Something I'd want to try actually. I'm guessing it's a 2nd roadblock, but Redmond couldn't do it if ever it ended up as his roadblock. Still a good task with decent difficulty though.
Pit Stop in Nihn Bihn: A lot of pit stops were high atop a significantly elevated place. This one did not disappoint, from summit view to climbing the mountain.

Matt & Red: They did well on Vietnam 1, but they 'started' later thn Becca & Floyd, who also did just as well. At least they won Vietnam 2. Cool to know that Matt actually has experience with moving furniture. Also:
Phil: "Tell me about this leg."
Redmond: "It's made out of carbon fiber."
Am I the only one thinking that Phil asked this question to expect this kind of answer from Redmond? :lol: With the wording, it seems like it was on purpose.

Brooke & Scott: 3 out of 5 roadblocks for Scott so far are heights! :funny: That was so ironic. :lol: At the detour, I think Brooke's whining was slowing them down, but they were lucky Tara didn't read the clue properly. Also, I really like Brooke exaggerating: "I'm gonna get murdered, hello!?" when the streets were crazy. It sucks how they lost a footrace to the ladder, then the next and last one was found by LoLo 1st. Moving to the next leg, I really like Scott's patience for Brooke. :funny: While biking, Brooke was lowkey whining, but I guess this one was more natural due to exhaustion. :funny: As Scott said, "Oh my god! You're not giving birth." :funny: Scott did the roadblock well, and it's a good thing he did it or else they'd most likely be done. I don't mind not seeing Brooke whining at the bike roadblock. Scott got the task done for the team. :conf: Pit stop scene (and en route to pit stop) was also funny, with Scott saying "Giving birth again." and with Phil saying to Brooke, "It's like you're Scott, and you're..." "No no no," as Scott interrupts. :funny: At least Brooke becoming Scott for a leg makes their leg better.

Joey & Tara: Tara's misread of the detour clue cost them Vietnam 1, but they also 'started' later, and this leg wasn't really their leg. What I like about Tara & Joey is that they are trying to beat the team they are neck-and-neck with instead of whining. According to Becca, they are strong tricksters, which we can see in some past episodes. Their Vietnam 2 is smooth though. The speedbump just bumped them down by 1 place.

London & Logan: I still like how they are progressing slowly but smoothly. At the same time, they get some sort of bad luck so often, like a car issue in Greece or simply being at the latter half of the pack by default. Logan having a hard time rowing shows an example of tall people problems. :lol: I like how they're doing well despite being at the bottom half almost all the time.

Becca & Floyd: #TeamFun :torche I like how they 'started' early and did well in Vietnam 1. They went from worst to 1st and then 1st to worst in one country. :o Floyd taking long at the roadblock and Becca saying she should've done it could mean that this is one of the few cases of wrong roadblock choice being the cause of elimination. Reminds me of Zach & Rachel's case from last season. What I really like about this team is that they never gave up and stayed positive all the way. Their rap exit was awesome, and I believe they are a good candidate for all-stars. :hoot: I hope they'll be back for another race around the world.

Other comments:
~The heat in Vietnam was a big factor in the detour and roadblock in Vietnam. Leg 9 to 10 difficulty extra I'd say.
~We get to see a lowkey arc of Tara & Joey vs Brooke & Scott, and even lowerkey with Tara & Joey and Becca & Floyd.
~Vietnam 2 was really a leg day! There's biking, feet-rowing, mountain (stairs) climbing. That heat was an extra factor in making the leg harder.
~I really like the rural and mountain view of Nihn Bihn :hearts:

Both episodes put together make this thing an amazing double episode as a whole, but I think Episode 10 was the better of the 2.