Author Topic: TAR 29 Ep 8 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 5/11/17 *read Post 1*  (Read 10611 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: TAR 29 Ep 8 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 5/11/17 *read Post 1*
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »
What an anticlimactic foot race to the Finish, and sadly Michael & Liz arrive last and are eliminated from the race.

They walk out like siblings.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
Next week on a 2 HOUR EPISODE!!! (set your DVRs or viewing pleasure an hour earlier)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
Out of 8 legs, Liz & Mike arrived last at the pit stop 4 times in a season! I think this is a record. Also, this self-driving leg seems like the least disastrous for them, but it was the deadliest one. :torche

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:20 PM »
...I heard Matt saying he had to do it. Could this be an instance wherein Redmond could not do it die to his "best leg?" ???...
Red said that he had hit a 4-RB limit while Matt had only done 2
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
...I heard Matt saying he had to do it. Could this be an instance wherein Redmond could not do it die to his "best leg?" ???...
Red said that he had hit a 4-RB limit while Matt had only done 2

Oh, there we go. :tup:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
Love the night setting too this leg. :hrt:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
I thought he said he had done four, not that there was any prescribed limit.

That said I suspect next leg is two RBs so that might throw things off?  ???

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
RIP Liz and Mike

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 12:55:06 AM »
Technically they were saved 3 times (including Kevin & Jenn's penalty), so not feeling too torn up about them going out :(

I don't get it. They had those couple of great legs they won, then the rest of their race was a mess,

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 05:22:55 AM »
What happened to bunje jumping?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 07:14:24 AM »
Minus the editing and detour placement, this has to be one of the strongest legs in awhile.
Definitely the best this season. If the U-Turn was after the Detour, I wouldn't have any notable complaints with the Leg design.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 07:17:42 AM »
What happened to bunje jumping?

It will be in next episode (you can see it in the preview).

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
I also find it kind of noteworthy that this Detour with a U-Turn before it is almost like a variation of the one on TAR27 - both concerned delivering something to a wedding and receiving a clue.

The obvious difference is that on that season, only Logan & Chris carried that leg. This time the ENTIRE cast brings it AND both Detours are made more interesting and fun with animals.

TAR29 <3

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
this is best Greece leg every

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
Watch this leg on AXN yeah..  Okay...
- after 20 seasons, finally they were going to Greece <33
- another self driving leg <3
-no probs with W-turn placement
- as i expected the concept of the tasks was great in the spoiler... And it was shown in this leg... The detour was really fun and great... Participating in Greek wed and have fun with animal... This wed task itself wasn't the first time (India 2 TAR 27 say hi) but with a big refinement, and created a good task... So great job
- finally we got a literal ARI...
- the changing guard ceremony also wasn't strange in our mind ( Tar 25 ) but this time was a RB... So good step... (but the editing made this task look easier than the actual)
- Speedbump was also good and not too much time consuming for the Speed bumper...
- pit stop was really greek-tiful...
- i think the editing wasn't as good as the previous leg, but the pace on the last minute when team fun must survive from Mike/Liz was pretty intense and fast...
- sad to see Mike/Liz go... :( they  actually reminded  me of Mike and Rochelle vibes with less bickering :lol: but yeah their bickering over scott/brooke was instead annoying rather than common... This is final 6 and Brooke/Scott. Decision to use the U-turn was acceptable, although lil bit amoral because they had promised to Mike/Liz before...

Verdict: This leg was a great revisiting leg and one of the best in this season. The editing could have been better, but the task's concept, the all element of the race, the Greece itself made this leg was a wonderful and joyful leg..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:20:20 AM by elthemagnifico »
what might have been

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
What I really like about this leg is that they focused more on the cultural side and showed what the Greeks do. Such a happy country. This is how a leg should be. It felt like a new country to me despite being visited before.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
We've finally returned to Greece! I'm very glad this leg did not disappoint. I'll start elaborating... now.

I love how they start off with self-driving. It brings back classic TAR feels, especially since classic TAR had a lot, like a really whole ton of a lot, of self-driving. There was even one season (TAR9) that had self-driving in some part of every leg. We've seen some self-driving legs in earlier season, and the lack of this in TAR27 made it a very lackluster season, unfortunately.

I really like how self-driving was the determinant of the W-turn. During Leg 3, it was a cab race, which is usually based on luck. In Leg 6, although there was a roadblock and departure times before the W-turn, teams would've been further apart if the departure times were not present. Although, Leg 6's W-turn was in a better position than the one in Leg 3's. This leg's? It's based on self-driving. Many teams in the past seasons mess up and/or get eliminated simply due to self-driving. Some team in 1st place can go all the way down to last place just because of self-driving, and it has happened more than once. Therefore, I believe self-driving is a very vital element in TAR. The W-turn may have been before the detour, but the self-driving before it made it worth the placement. It would've been really awful design-wise if the W-turn was right in front of the pier station. Glad that did not happen. This is, in my opinion, the best placement of a pre-detour U-turn in seasons where I have seen it. (TAR27, TARA5, TAR29)

A lot of what-if scenarios come to mind just from the W-turn this leg. What if Tara & Joey found it first and were unable to give Mike & Liz the buffer they actually had this leg? What if Brooke & Scott never used it, and probably no else did? What if it was a post-detour U-turn, and Tara & Joey was never able to give Mike & Liz the same buffer mentioned earlier? I really like how the placement of the W-turn, Tara & Joey not finding it right away, Scott & Brooke using it, and the effect of that making Tara & Joey U-turn Team Fun all came into place to make the episode a lot better, when compared to the what-if scenarios mentioned earlier. It was also coincidental that the U-turned teams are both behind for getting lost at the beginning. I just love how this coincidence and intelligent design made the W-turn make the episode turn out really well to the viewers (like me)!

The detour being wedding-themed easily calls back to TAR27's India 2 leg. However, Indian wedding is definitely different from Greek ones, so despite it having the same theme, we still see different cultures in them. I like how the detour is balanced well enough. I can't really tell how balanced it is in time since nobody attempted the groom detour except for the U-turned teams that did it almost at the same time. The bride detour required searching and a donkey. Donkeys are usually stubborn, but even if they did not show that in this episode, it's still cool to have donkeys be part of a task in TAR. The donkey is a very infamous task element since TAR12. :snicker: :badhorse: They weren't stubborn this episode, but I still think it's cool to have them be part of the task. I'd love to smell and taste some Greek cheese too, if given the chance. Meanwhile, the stairs marathon may have made the groom detour look more difficult, but the task's searching part is only looking for the person or people holding the goats. It's a simple delivery task that just looked intimidating at the beginning. Carrying little goats was a really cool part of the task too. The plate-breaking seemed fun, although it also looks like a waste of supplies. ??? Eh. Overall, the detour was really great in design and in execution. It showed Greek culture too! The W-turn here was a great addition to the detour and the episode overall!

I like how we got a legit ARI this episode. It may have been a simple run around the stadium, but at least there was something historical in it, and also an extra place to drive to on a self-driving leg. TAR should do this as often as possible, because it adds an extra spice to the leg and the episode, whether it'd be placement switching or something historical and cultural.

The speedbump was related to Greece, yet it also fits Mike since he's a butcher. I noticed that some speedbumps in the past (until the present) are designed to the team that had to do it. For example, TAR22 had a wedding or post-wedding ceremony or ritual for newlywed team Max & Katie as a speedbump in Botswana. Maybe they're just coincidences too. ??? I'm not really sure. Either way, this speedbump was designed for Mike, and Liz's reactions during the speedbump showed how different they are when seeing raw meat. :lol: Reminds me a bit of Vanck & Ashton's overall team dynamic. Anyway, the speedbump was simple yet required attention to detail. It did not take too long as well, or at least that's what it looks like. Still, the speedbump was great like the rest of the episode. It also showed an example of Greek food in the episode. :hoot:

The roadblock...
The roadblock requires symmetry, accuracy, concentration. It is a Leg-8-difficulty type of task, and its difficulty avoids it from being linear.

I like the pit stop being at somewhere high. TAR seems to like pit stops on top of something high. :lol: Really amazing to have them that way sometimes. :hrt: Anyway, I remember Acropolis from history class, and I'm glad TAR visited it. I also like how so much self-driving this leg made a good segment of the leg reach night time. I miss night legs, but if TAR can't do a pure night leg, legs that reach night time will do. Pit stop arrivals and eliminations look more epic that way!

I actually like the editing this episode. At one part Becca & Floyd or Mike & Liz talk about hoping someone is U-turned so they can catch up, yet it's so ironic that both teams who were talking about it and hoping not to be U-turned ended up with the same fate at the W-turn. :funny: I'm not sure if that's all I like with the editing, but I definitely enjoyed watching those parts. I was also gonna comment how Phil doing a live standup is something I miss, but then I remember from his Google talk that those are not intentional, as teams just happen to have caught up to Phil while he was going to introduce the task or place. There was a lot of driving this leg, so I think it's understandable how Phil and his crew fell behind enough to have Tara & Joey catch up to them.

Overall, I just love this episode! :hrt: It is the best episode of the season for me, in terms of leg design and the events that happened in the episode.
This leg is frenzy overall! We have a detour, a W-turn, a roadblock, a speedbump, and an ARI. Bonus points for pit stop in somewhere historical. Best leg and leg design so far! :hoot:
This quote sums up the leg design being good. More bonus points to this leg being self-driving, a revisit to a country being left unvisited for 20 seasons, the leg reaching very dark into the night, and Greek history and/or culture being shown in every task this leg.

I'll make another post about the teams. I find this too overwhelming already. :lol:

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
This leg is tied with the second Tanzania leg for my favorite legs of the season so far <3

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
Can we apreciate the Donkey got a nametag  :funny:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
I'll start with the team I have the least things to say about.

Matt & Redmond had a good leg this leg. They were just not ahead of everyone. At least they got 1st last leg, because otherwise they'd be fighting for that 1st stressfully after so many 2nd place finishes.

LoLo staying away from drama makes me like them a bit more. Most might say they are boring because of that, but I actually like them for dominating the bottom half of the pack in some way. They're probably the luckiest team so far this season, as they could've been eliminated in many occasions, yet they're still here racing, albeit finishing at the bottom, but we've seen teams doing fine by staying in the bottom and not get eliminated then still win the race. They get bad luck from time to time, but they didn't get the worst luck, so yay for them! :lol:

Tara & Joey dominated another leg! :hoot: Their start in Panama and Brazil was so deceiving to their potential. They breezed through the whole leg, from detour to ARI to roadblock. Their only pause was not being able to find the W-turn right away, causing Brooke & Scott to see it and use it first. However, Brooke & Scott using it ahead of Tara & Joey proved to made the episode good. Otherwise, we'd probably see Liz & Mike being stuck at the bottom as they probably U-turn a team who they thought was behind them (LoLo?) or maybe some other team uses it to put an embargo on Liz & Mike, or maybe use it on some team that's way ahead of Liz & Mike. Tara & Joey U-turning Team Fun was a good move to give Liz & Mike a good chance of survival. However, it was also luck that Team Fun fell far behind for getting lost on their way to Arachova. Had that not happened, we'd have a less suspenseful ending, probably one wherein we're just given a few clips of Liz & Mike doing tasks.

Becca & Floyd falling behind was a surprise, as they have done well in past self-driving legs. In Panama, they got 2nd. In Norway, although they did the FF, they were not shown getting lost big time. It was definitely a pleasant surprise to see a strong team like Team Fun fall behind for getting lost on their way to Arachova. Team Fun getting U-turned proved to made the episode better as they were neck-and-neck with Liz & Mike. it also gave Liz & Mike a fighting chance and spirit to know that they were behind in the Arachova segment of the leg. It made me think for a bit when London and Team Fun said something like: "Who would U-turn Team Fun?" :lol: They are such a fun-spirited team! Although I understand from Tara & Joey's perspective that it was strategy to help Liz & Mike in a way. What I really like about Team Fun this leg is that they kept their cool despite being last, and they remained optimistic all throughout the episode. Some teams would've bickered and be frustrated with each other already just for getting lost. They remained calm and found a way out of the sticky situation. Also, comparing Liz & Mike's teamwork with directions, at least Becca listened to Floyd about being sure if what he saw was the right way. Luckily for them, they cooperated with each other and got ahead of Liz & Mike for that. This was unlike Liz & Mike's case wherein Liz told Mike to turn around, yet he didn't do it right away until finally giving in about 10 minutes later in the episode. Team Fun had a really tough leg, but I'm glad they survived optimistically, fighting for the chance and cooperating well with each other. :hoot:

Brooke & Scott made a move of betrayal, especially after Mike helping Brooke with the ladle. I get that it's a game, but that's part of the deal with the ladle-making helping hand. It's just sad that Brooke probably forgot about it and just let it be. On the other hand, Brooke & Scott's move was strategic, as they thought they needed the extra cushion in case they mess up later that leg, especially since Brooke has a history of freaking out every once in a while. They were 1st, so it was unnecessary, but that move followed by Tara & Joey's U-turn as a result of Brooke & Scott's made the episode better than it would've been if neither team used the W-turn. Although the only issue here after using the U-turn on Liz & Mike is that they broke some sort of deal and left Liz & Mike with a bad impression of them as they play the game. Brooke & Scott's U-turn reminds me of Lotso's overall personality and character from Toy Story 3. He was being helped out by his fellow toys, yet he just betrays them later on. That one makes a lot of people angry because he's the villain and he's meant to be that way, but this one here with Brooke & Scott is just sad. :( I would disagree with Mike when he said that Brooke & Scott would not have made it past Leg 4 without his help, as some other teams might have helped Brooke, and that Shamir & Sara were so behind that Phil had to visit them. Shamir is also not the best with building things, so Brooke still could've survived even with less help. But seriously, I just find it sad that a strategic move from Brooke & Scott is a direct slap in the face after how Mike helped out Brooke with the roadblock in Leg 4. :( U-turn aside, I like how Brooke did less whining this leg. She seems to do fine at the roadblock since there's an instructor. As for Scott, I still like him better than Brooke. I like his reaction when he was planning to let his team fight for 1st. :funny: He knew it wasn't possible with Brooke under pressure. They seem to do well this leg too.

Liz & Mike were great on TV. They had so many ups and downs. One moment they were almost about to be the 1st team eliminated from the season, then the next they win the leg. They win another leg after, and could've won the leg after too had teams not been bunched up for the boat ride back to the mainland. Then we see them fighting over directions like how poorly they did with directions on Leg 1, then they're okay again. Liz may have messed up the mask roadblock, but at least they're still in the race. Next thing you know, they're in 2nd place on the way to Arachova, but one wrong turn changed everything. Liz & Mike's communication as a team, especially with directions, is a factor to their elimination. Had he listened to her earlier, they would probably have survived the leg. It really looks like they took so much time just going forward not being able to find a right turn. When Mike decided it was the right time to turn back, it wasn't too late yet, but a lot of time was still lost, and that lost time could've been used on the speedbump or on the self-driving toss-ups they've been making. The missing goat was probably another factor. Climbing sets of stairs not only took a lot of time from them, but it also took out their energy. If they didn't have to go back for the goat, maybe we'd have a more suspenseful ending. ??? What caused their elimination was that they spent too much time that amounted to nothing. One of them is already their communication issue with directions. Another is the goat that they missed on the other detour as a result of being U-turned. The speedbump also took a good amount of time from them, although that amounted to something as it is a task they had to complete. Ironically, despite them missing the goat for the 2nd detour, I wouldn't consider Brooke & Scott's U-turn as a cause to their elimination. I'd actually consider it as an extra spice to make the episode better on TV. Speaking of Brooke & Scott... well, I'd probably repeat what I just said earlier, so I'll skip it. Still, it's just sad for them to be betrayed like that. On the other hand, Mike should not be expecting help from other teams, especially at some time this late in the race. This makes LoLo's clue-hiding last leg nothing, compared to the U-turn that Brooke & Scott just did. It's actually hard to expect help from teams he has helped in the past this late in the race, so it's better to not expect anything in return. If I were in Liz & Mike's shoes though, I'd be surprised with the U-turn too, because it was a team he helped in the past, and the help he gave was big. What gave them a fighting chance is Tara & Joey's U-turn on Team Fun. Had that not happened, Liz & Mike's fate would have been sealed early into the episode. They were a team with so much potential, as seen in Legs 2 and 3. However, they are also a team with flaws, as seen in self-driving legs. Nevertheless, they were a fun team to watch and root for as they showed their strengths and weaknesses throughout the race. I'll definitely miss them for the rest of the race. :torche

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
Can we apreciate the Donkey got a nametag  :funny:

Oh yes! I really liked that part. :funny: Team Fun being fun... :hrt:

This leg is tied with the second Tanzania leg for my favorite legs of the season so far <3

I would almost say the same, but Tanzania 2 had a mid-leg bunch-up that was bad in terms of leg design. For me, I'd just put Tanzania 2 a bit lower after Greece due to that bad leg design. (The episode still turned out great as 1 team struggled way too long at the detour to be left behind at the supposed bunch-up.) Other than that, Tanzania 2 is still an awesome episode this season. :hrt:

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Yay for another Team Dad and Mom win!

I liked Brooke and Scott this episode. Maybe because of Brooke's less negativity and Scott's reaction to the greeter.  :funny: :funny:
Kudos to Brooke's RB performance. I just saw in her profile that she is a lawyer. I wonder if she's like that inside her office and court. And I so wonder what will her clients say.  :funny: :funny:

I was really hoping that Mike and Liz will survive this. I think it was unnecessary U-turn for both teams (Mike/Liz, Team Fun). I wonder what's their time difference in the pitstop.

And we got to see more LoLo. 
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
I would LOVE to be in court, when Brooke is a lawyer, based on her performences in this season!

No need to go to the threatre to see a performance!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Racers in real life aren't the same as on the show :)

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
Racers in real life aren't the same as on the show :)

Yes, that's true, however, it would still be fun to watch!