Author Topic: TAR 29: Ep 8 "Good Job, Donkey" 5/11/17  (Read 24743 times)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 29: Ep 8 "Good Job, Donkey" 5/11/17
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »
The 3rd pre-detour W-turn this season annoys me already despite the episode not yet airing. I hope this does not become a permanent thing for future seasons.

For newbies reading us, can someone explain EXACTLY why this is a bad thing? Thanks!

When a U-turn is placed after the detour, teams have the motivation to finish the task faster in order to get to the U-turn earlier. That way, getting to the U-turn earlier is earned, by effort, not by cab luck.

When a U-turn is placed before the detour, teams can just race for it by cab or by getting there faster by whatever means, thus it is luck-based. When a U-turn is placed after a roadblock, sure it still counts as an earned to effort to get there earlier, but the way Leg 6 did it with the departure times of teams being 5 minutes apart was part of bad design. The worst position for a U-turn is on the start of the leg before any tasks, which was the case in Leg 3's U-turn.

I hope that was a good explanation, :tup: but I think I could've added some more arguments, which I could not think of at the moment. ???

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
Although I hated the timed departures in leg 6, those were earned by completing the roadblock faster, so you can't say it was bad design regarding the U-Turn.

And all in all, placing U-Turns before tasks gives the U-Turned teams more motivation (a kick in the ass) to work faster. There are more tasks (i.e. opportunities) to catch up.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 04:58:48 PM »
Caps.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:59:40 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Caps.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:03:23 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »
The 3rd pre-detour W-turn this season annoys me already despite the episode not yet airing. I hope this does not become a permanent thing for future seasons.

For newbies reading us, can someone explain EXACTLY why this is a bad thing? Thanks!

I don't think this should even be a question.

Having a Detour AFTER the U-Turn defeats the ENTIRE purpose of the U-Turn.

Notable modern TAR moments with the U-Turn include:
-Kisha & Jen nearly surviving but getting eliminated via bathroom break (14)
-Joe & Heidi getting U-Turned to the point of being philiminated on the course (16)
-Caite getting her revenge on Carol & Brandy (16)
-The exciting battle between Chad & Stephanie and Brook & Claire in Bangladesh (17)
-KENT & VYXSIN U-Turning JAIME & CARA to their faces in China (18)
-Our Emmy award winning episode in Tanzania entirely focused on the drama of the U-Turn (20)
-Natalie & Nadiya inventing an entirely new strategy (21)
-The intense battle of TAR22's Germany Night Leg
-"Push me again one more time" "AND WHAT???!?!!!!" (25)

I really doubt any of these moments would have ever happened if the U-Turn was before the Detour. Having a U-Turn AFTER the Detour is truly the only way it should be done - you don't give a person entering into war from the start a tank (U-Turn), you make them work through smaller-scale battles first (Detour).

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

I don't think this should even be a question.

Having a Detour AFTER the U-Turn defeats the ENTIRE purpose of the U-Turn.

Notable modern TAR moments with the U-Turn include:
-Kisha & Jen nearly surviving but getting eliminated via bathroom break (14)
-Joe & Heidi getting U-Turned to the point of being philiminated on the course (16)
-Caite getting her revenge on Carol & Brandy (16)
-The exciting battle between Chad & Stephanie and Brook & Claire in Bangladesh (17)
-KENT & VYXSIN U-Turning JAIME & CARA to their faces in China (18)
-Our Emmy award winning episode in Tanzania entirely focused on the drama of the U-Turn (20)
-Natalie & Nadiya inventing an entirely new strategy (21)
-The intense battle of TAR22's Germany Night Leg
-"Push me again one more time" "AND WHAT???!?!!!!" (25)

I really doubt any of these moments would have ever happened if the U-Turn was before the Detour. Having a U-Turn AFTER the Detour is truly the only way it should be done - you don't give a person entering into war from the start a tank (U-Turn), you make them work through smaller-scale battles first (Detour).

Yes I also agree, to be frank I think U-turn should only appear in a leg where Detour comes before Roadblock and it is placed after Detour, and they should also make one active route marker to extend that leg, it can also creates more drama and suspense.

I don't know if production is being lazy or what but they rarely do it this way. The worse situation is like in Leg 6 where there is a bunch in the middle and no task after detour with a U-turn.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
I wonder where Brooke and Scott are riding a cab at? Beginning of leg?

Offline sleipnir

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
Are we sure about bungee-jumping roadblock?Because in here we have another roadblock
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/photos?page=2&show=the-amazing-race
or maybe 2 roadblocks?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
Or maybe the next episode--on the way out of town?

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »

We see Scott crying at the bungee, I feel they would've put it in the preview because of the significance. I hope they don't however because it will cut Hanoi time  :groan:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
Can someone repost the info from CBS Express?
Geoblocked here.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
It is dark when Becca and Floyd are running at the stadium, while its still daylight when Matt and Redmond are running (while Brooke and Scott can be seen in a shot with Matt and Redmond at the stadium).

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
If there's something I'm going to love about this leg (because a pre-Detour U-Turn will ALWAYS taint a leg take note production), it's the fact that we're getting a Detour, a Roadblock, an Active Route Info, and a Speed Bump all in one leg? This leg should be fun.

And the changing of the guards Detour was hilarious on 25, should be fun to see this Roadblock (especially with BROOKE performing it :lol: <3)!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »

fwiw Scott is wearing a different shirt as he attempts to bungee jump so I'm inclined to think it's at the start of the next leg.

If that's the only RB for that leg  :dick

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »

fwiw Scott is wearing a different shirt as he attempts to bungee jump so I'm inclined to think it's at the start of the next leg.

If that's the only RB for that leg  :dick

I'm being optimistic and hoping that it's more like TAR27 Paris lol (2 RBs and 1 DT).

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
So the detour is likely Marathon VS Donkey?
how about the stadium? a running ARI?

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
Its more of Transport Donkey, Trade For Cheese, Deliver to Wedding vs Run Stairs, Transport Goat to Wedding

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
Somehow i'm loving with the u-turn design in  this leg (not by mean the placement of u-turn) it's very unique and eye-catchy  rather than a plain board with u-turn logo...

And i may be the one who have no prob over u-turn placed before the detour...  It gives team to work extra hard to make it trough after certainly being u-turned.... But yeah it will make it less drama.... But let's see

I'm really excited about this leg, this is a very promising leg with stellar task concept and self driving thing, and maybe a possible switchback in this leg, but execution is more important than a concept, so let's see if we  get a great callback in Greece after almost 20 seasons they don't visit Greece till this
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:44:37 AM by elthemagnifico »
what might have been

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
I have no problem with U-turn board before Detour if they have to earn it by another task like ARI or Roadblock and there is one more task after the Detour.
Actually, I hate the U-turn board after Detour with the Pit Stop right after that.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:13 AM »
Not ANOTHER u-turn before the detour!!!  :chute:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2017, 01:36:59 AM »

"Good Job, Donkey"-- In this Speed Bump, Michael/Liz must prepare Kokoretsi, a local cuisine of intestines wrapped on a skewer, in order to continue on the race on THE AMAZING RACE

"Good Job, Donkey"--In Detour A, Michael/Liz, London/Logan, Tara/Joey, Becca/FLoyd, Brooke/Scott, Matt/Redmond must deliver two milk cans via a donkey to two cheese stands. Once they exchange the milk for cheese, they must deliver them on foot to a wedding party near Taverna Kaplanis in order to receive the next clue

"Good Job, Donkey"--In Detour B, Michael/Liz, Becca/Floyd must run up the stairs to the Church of Agios Georgios, follow the marked path to the top of a hill, where they will be given two goats which they much deliver to the wedding party at Taverna Kaplanis in order to receive the next clue

"Good Job, Donkey"--In this Road Block, Tara, Becca, Brooke, Matt must perform a changing of the guard with the elite Evzones soldiers in order to receive the next clue

"Good Job, Donkey"--In this Active Route Marker, Floyd/Becca must run a lap around the Panathanaic Stadium in Athens, Greece in order to receive the next clue

Both self driving and non pictured
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2017, 02:20:15 AM »
Here are the descriptions you don't know and the images:

"Good Job, Donkey"-- In this Speed Bump, Michael/Liz must prepare Kokoretsi, a local cuisine of intestines wrapped on a skewer, in order to continue on the race on THE AMAZING RACE

And the example of Kokoretsi:

"Good Job, Donkey"--In this Road Block, Tara, Becca, Brooke, Matt must perform a changing of the guard with the elite Evzones soldiers in order to receive the next clue

And the example of Evzones, a light infantry soldier used for guards in Greece:

This image is taken at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2017, 02:22:32 AM »
With Kiki's post has revised on an updated info from CBS-PE. The Detour and Speed Bump take place in Arachova, with the RB and ARI are in Athens.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2017, 02:47:01 AM »
so, the changing soldier routine is a RB, then the bungee jumping at Corinth (if it isn't typo-ed) is a ARI or another RB?...

or maybe a next leg task?
what might have been

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:42 AM »
Maybe Tara & Joey like M/L than team Fun (a threat) so they try to save M/L. But if they want to save M/L, they should U-turn team Lolo, tbh.