Author Topic: TAR 29 Ep 6 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 4/27/17 *read Post 1*  (Read 15031 times)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 29 Ep 6 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 4/27/17 *read Post 1*
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
The roadblock was a mix of the Hong Kong ding ding task and the Ferris wheel meal in Vienna.

Honestly Lake Como is geogous but I would've preferred the roadblock to be there. They should've just done a HOO in Milan. Then have a detour with one option being the Tram task whilst having another detour. We'd also have another route info in Milan allowing a visit to the Duomo or Galleria Victoria Emanuel III. Then teams would travel to Como where the roadblock would be the Ghost task. They'd have to model the non participating person. That would work as we'd get the tasks in Milan with Como scenery.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
Ok time to review leg 6
-yay for visiting milan... One of my favourite city to visit...
-RB was pretty good, searching for 3 italian foods around the city, and great scenery in Milan at night... Said by Rachel that it was a combination of a TAR 17 and TAR 18 task.. Like this combination actually....
-bunching up in overseas ferry (or cruise ship?) yep actually hoped they explore milan a little more but ok... Good tough for balancing the position...
-Lake Como, that's something new to me so kudos for that
-i actually disappointed with the placement of W turn. Not because the W turn placed before the detour, but the placement  was right before the pit stop. It gave the certain death for u-turned team... And yeah agree with Rabbi, this episode seemed focus for The W turn drama than the purposeness itself... And i kinda distracted with that, i want to watch the amazing race, not the amazing soap opera betrayal themed.... Mike/Liz and Becca /Floyd used the Twinnies U turn strategies tough, but i have seen this before (Tyler/Korey and Burnie/Ashley of TAR 28 say hi)
-the detour would have been good had the options didn't significantly imbalance... Wrapping your teammates and strolling out for next clue was kinda odd to me, and rock climbing task was even unrelated to the culture.... And we have climbing task  at last leg...
-pit stop.... Finally #teamfun won the leg <333 also really sad to see Vanck/Ashton go. I always love how two really different personalities forced to depends each other and work as team... And that's in Vanck/Ashton....
-the cast was risen up high in this leg, to save this leg from potentially horrifying and boring leg, we got Mike abd Liz big meltdown at the start of the leg, the footrace to pitstop....

Verdict: this was easily the weakest episodes yet in this season, saved by RB and casts...  I was expecting more in this leg because we didn't see milan long time ago, and it only came until RB... Lake Como though was great with terrifying scene....the leg design was horrible but i'm sure next leg will be better than this
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:45:41 PM by elthemagnifico »
what might have been

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
The scenery was beautiful.

The roadblock was good.

Everything else tanked. Hated the U-turn placement. The detour tasks were meh.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
(Typing this a 2nd time because Google Chrome decided to restart when I was already doing Vanck & Ashton's part.)

To the teams...

I'm glad Becca & Floyd finally won a leg, after getting 3rd despite completing the FF last leg. They didn't even have to use their EP! Matt & Red finish within the Top 4 every leg, yet they have never won a leg yet, so I hope they win a leg soon. :hoot: The detour was obviously Becca's forte, and Matt's too it seems. They breezed through it quickly, which got them 1st and 2nd respectively. Part of that is due to Tara & Joey choosing the slower detour though.

Tara & Joey did well this leg. I'm not sure how Tara would've done had she and Mike not work together at the roadblock, but I guess I'll never know. Good thing they didn't use the U-turn too, because they would've looked like bad guys for real by using another (unnecessary) U-turn. They could've won the leg had they not chosen the slower detour, but at least we have a different leg winner now.

Liz & Mike ended their troubles in Norway for good. Mike seems to have done the smoothest in the roadblock. They had a chance to win the leg since Tara & Joey went for the slower detour, but they got lost going to the detour. It shows how they are still bad with directions even though it is no longer self driving. At least that's the only part where they have to navigate themselves, because I could easily guess that it could be another disaster for them if self navigation was for the whole leg. After all, they have a bad history with directions. The good thing about them getting lost is that at least other teams had the chance to win 1st.

Brooke & Scott are at the bottom again, but since they were actually complaining about being at the bottom again, I think it shows that they are not strong, fast, lucky enough to maintain a good momentum at the front of the pack. Scott was hilarious at the roadblock with his random scenes and face expressions. :funny: His interactions with Vanck were funny too, from the random chat in the tram, to Scott not wanting to share his answers to Vanck. What made me laugh at Brooke & Scott's detour drama was Scott's reply that he was using his eyes. Brooke complains a lot every episode, but at least I'm not bothered by it that much since she doesn't spill all of her drama power all over the episode. I actually find Scott more entertaining among the 2. :lol:

LoLo started out with poor luck for arriving last at the roadblock. They could've finished the roadblock in 3rd, and Logan almost breezed through the task had he not have an extra word. It's just too bad that they were still in last at a task they could've stepped ahead of the other teams. When the 4 racers right ahead of him failed the 1st attempt, I was rooting for him to catch up and finish in 3rd. Sad it didn't happen and they were still stuck in 7th. :( I understand the detour choice due to London's artistic background, but that took them a lot of time for sure. Had Vanck & Ashton not been U-turned, they would've been fighting for last with Vanck & Ashton. We would've had an epic boat race to the pit stop. The W-turn this leg took it away from us though. :(

Vanck & Ashton actually did smoothly this leg. The roadblock was a bumpy start, but everyone on Vanck's batch didn't get it right the 1st time. They did both sides of the detour pretty well too. They only passed the detour cluebox and the W-turn, and that might've been enough for us to see a LoLo vs Vanck & Ashton race for last place. The W-turn took the suspense away from us. :tantrum At least they were in good terms with each other as they leave the show, unlike S&S. I feel bad for Vanck & Ashton that all the teams turned against them even though they barely bothered some of the teams. It reminded me of how Beth & Mona and Joey & Meghan were U-turn targets back in the day because they were outside the big social group. It's not against the rules, but it's sad to see that everybody else is turning against one team for no good reason. :torche

(My 1st and unfinished work was better. :tantrum Please pardon any errors. I don't have the mood to edit this now.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:44:57 PM by Platrium »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Oh btw, after watching the episode a 2nd time, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who saw it. Brooke & Scott got to the W-turn in 5th; LoLo, 6th. However, the editors indicated 4th and 5th for both teams respectively.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
This was such a fast-paced leg.
Teams immediately left, but since they used the travelocity app, I was expecting them to travel in different flights. Alas, everybody ran on a levelled field, and I kinda hated the fact that all the teams targeted Vanck and Ashton, when Vanck and Ashton did nothing to harm them. I mean - sure, Brooke and Scott are a weak team, but that doesn't mean that they should target other teams [especially when they did nothing to you and also aren't that much of a threat -.-].
The roadblock was ok-ish. Like someone mentioned that it was a mix of the ding ding detour from s17e10 and the Quick and easy meal detour from s18e8. Kinda glad that Mike and Tara helped each other out, but Scott was behaving way too over dramatic  :sab. He was also checking out the guy sitting next to him on the roadblock  :funny: oh my god he's so goofy
The teams had some peace on the ferry across Lake Como, so that was nice  :angel
The detour was boring. It definitely had a better name than last leg's detour, but anybody can rock climb in any part of the world - show us what you can only do in Milan!! Even the plaster detour was good because it emphasized on Milan's fashion side, but it didn't seem that fun. But it's alright, the future legs look awesome  :D
Redmond is definitely off the hate list. Brooke and Scott have replaced him. Ganging up on Vanck and Ashton was so not cool; Also Brooke needs to learn not to unnecessarily yell and work towards being a more cooperative teammate. LoLo still seem so boring. Liz and Mike were able to work out their differences, and I'm glad (but then again in the preview they're seeking help from an unwilling LoLo - could it be that LoLo are finally dragged into dirty drama?), Tara and Joey also had a relatively normal leg, I really loved the fact that Tara knew Italian, so coming here was a blessing in disguise. I really feel like Matt and Redmond are going to be one of those teams that will work hard towards no. 1 but will never get to be team no. 1 (a la burnie and ashley) and TEAM FUN WON 1ST PLACE !!! (still kinda pissed about the fact that some other team could've redeemed the fast forward and team fun could use their express pass to win, but it's already done and dusted...). Was really looking forward to Vanck and Ashton, but the double U-turn shot em down. ]

Really hoping for an exciting leg in Venice!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
But wait, the ghost task wasn't fun too. It was boring but cool, but also time consuming. That's part of the reason Joey & Tara only landed a 3rd this leg. Maybe the distance is shorter going from the ghost task to the pit stop, but I don't really seem to find any balance in this leg's detour.

Apparently, Vanck & Ashton were only 15 minutes behind London & Logan. So that says a lot about the Detours I think as well as Vanck & Ashton's sense of urgency.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
I didn't enjoy this leg much :/
Amazing scenery, but I don't care too much for that - it's not what makes a TAR leg great.
The roadblock was amazing but then got nulled completely due to the bunching on the boat. And then that detour was extremely imbalanced...

Seeing AshVan targetted by EVERYONE for personal reasons was something I hated. Their elimination lacked in suspense completely, and made the entire leg feel sooo anticlimactic.

With the leg design, this should've been a NEL. And no, I'm not saying that I wish Mike & Liz had gone home, or that the first legs should have been 5 straight eliminations. It was just a crappily designed leg imo.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
It was just a crappily designed leg imo.
I completely agree about this leg structure. Roadblock - overnight rest - U-Turn before Detour - seemingly unbalanced Detour tasks - Pit Stop via personal driver. As much as I love Italian legs and want to visit Lake Como for vacation, the coupling of the U-Turn and a leisurely boat ride right next to each other was a recipe spelling disaster.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
The locations for this Leg were superb, but it's definitely the weakest Leg so far. 

We knew Ash & Vanck were going home as soon as Mike & Liz U-Turned them, hell, we kinda knew it was coming from the minute Teams got to the train station at the start of the Leg.  :groan: 

Stupid placement of the U-Turn.  I didn't mind it in Leg 3, but doing it twice in a row just made no sense. It probably wouldn't have changed the outcome though.  :(
Part of me was actually expecting this to be a NEL, especially with the bad leg design, AND, it would've been an unexpected twist for both, the Teams and the viewers.

I just want LoLo out now at this stage.  They're the blandest, most invisible team, and they've only survived each Leg due to other Teams incompetence.  :groan:

Think I know what Phil meant now, when he said after Episode 5 the Season just "Halts".   :escape
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline SuzieTampa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
I've been lurking, but wanted to thank the forum for its spoilers.

I also was turned off by the teams ganging up on Ashton & Vanck. The Boys started the problem by lying to A/V about working with them. Then when A said she would get them back, they turned on the team pretty viciously. With Vanck, the others seemed like bullies going after the nerd from a different culture.

I agree with Liz: the Butcher was the one who was rude and pushy. I hope he doesn't win. My hopes are on the Army/police team, who seem the classiest, followed by the Fun team.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »
I think that actually the U-turn board placement this time made more sense than last time. You have to do the RB better to earn the right to U-turn a team. Last time, it was all about the taxi.

And this was the first time a team being a U-turn target for all other teams. Like Becca said, they did not have a good social game. In the early season where there is no U-turn or Yield, you can just focus on your team but now you have to think about the relationship.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
Think I know what Phil meant now, when he said after Episode 5 the Season just "Halts".   :escape

I think Phil said "holds" just with his accent. But frankly, that might not really change the meaning. If the rest of the season "holds" and doesn't really progress or improve on this Episode 6? Then  :escape indeed!

The placement of the U-Turn wouldn't have been that much of a problem had there not been the staggered release times again. Taking a number for a morning release was fine in the earlier years of TAR, but not on the current TAR with such horrible, linear and simple Legs.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »
Brook is so annoying, not even funny annoying like Hayley.  :groan:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »

Totally agree! And also, I don't think Hayley ever called other teams annoying. Which Brooke did last week and this week when referring to Ashton.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:21 PM »
I think Vanck and Ashton could have survived if they hadn't gotten lost finding the u-turn board, based on the saying they were only 15 minutes behind LoLo
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »

Totally agree! And also, I don't think Hayley ever called other teams annoying. Which Brooke did last week and this week when referring to Ashton.
Hayley only call Blair as annoying  :funny:

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »

Brooke is on Hailey's slay queen avatar state  :funny:
Hayley only call Blair as annoying  :funny:
what might have been

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2017, 02:59:44 AM »
I just watched London's recap and apparently a big reason of Ashton/Vanck becoming a target was because she upgraded herself and Vanck to first class on the plane to Norway...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:09:16 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2017, 03:21:19 AM »
So it seems that AshVan rubbed other teams the wrong way strictly during the Norway leg.
I suspect if the U-Turn hadn't been included this leg, but instead 1 or 2 legs later, the target would've shifted. I mean, they all must realise that a chance to U-Turn RedMatt (or now even TarJoe) is one not to be missed.

And this was the first time a team being a U-turn target for all other teams.
Brenchel? Abbie & Ryan?

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2017, 03:25:42 AM »
And this was the first time a team being a U-turn target for all other teams.
Brenchel? Abbie & Ryan?

I would also like to add Joey & Meghan and Kym & Alli to that list (and Justin & Diana but we were robbed of that) =P

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 04:47:19 AM »
I just watched London's recap and apparently a big reason of Ashton/Vanck becoming a target was because she upgraded herself and Vanck to first class on the plane to Norway...
Upgrading is a strategy though
If teams are getting made because of this strategy. they should only blame themselves because of the silliness :groan:

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 05:30:29 AM »
I swear  :funny: Since I started seeing TAR (from s17!) there have been annoying people but none as hateful as Brooke. I actually liked Brooke, but then she started bitching about Vanck and Ashton for no reason. Now she just seems petty.
Other bitches that I like include Marie (s23), Vanessa (s20) & Hayley (ofc!).

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:23 AM »
Vanessa was definitely more petty if we're going that route :res:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2017, 07:06:17 AM »
I mean: This wasn't the first time. Don't know why I forgot to type "not"  :funny: