Author Topic: TAR 29 Ep 3 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 4/13/17 *read Post 1*  (Read 11315 times)

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
Re: TAR 29 Ep 3 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary! 4/13/17 *read Post 1*
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
One boring team down, #LoLo should be next. #TheBoys is boring but the drama between them and #BeautyandtheGeek is promising.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »
This season is giving me major TAR 20 vibes so far with all the team drama.  I like it.  It's a nice change of pace from the overly friendly TAR 28 cast and the TAR 27 cast in which a certain dominating team made it hard to stay invested in the season.

With the increased drama, the tasks also gave me old-school TAR vibes.  But it's really because they all met the requirements of a standard TAR leg.  A nice balanced Detour with a physical side vs. an arts-and-craftsy/focused side.  A Roadblock that requires interacting with locals and running around in a market.  Didn't we see that Roadblock in TAR 12? "No chicken, no check-in" anyone?? Or am I remembering that Roadblock wrong?  And don't forget the newspaper part--we've seen that a few times in the past.

ANOTHER thing giving me classic TAR feels:  the unpredictability!  Who would have thought that Seth & Olive, a team who seemed to be the team to beat after one leg, would be out by Leg 3?  That kind of stuff rarely ever happens in recent seasons.  And don't forget Liz & Michael winning 2 legs straight after coming in 10th the first leg.

Liz & Michael:  The fact that they're the team to beat right now :lol:  It's so hard for me to give them full credit knowing that they are terrible at self-navigation.
Tara & Joey:  Wanted to see them win this leg for the sake of having three different teams winning the first three legs.  It still astonishes me that they're #TeamMomAndDad when they're not even CLOSE to the oldest racers we've had.
Vanck & Ashton:  They've been doing well for the past 2 legs (although one team said in an insider video that they're not getting along--I think this was after this particular team completed the Detour--#TeamLoLo perhaps? I forgot.) But yeah, I love seeing them do well, but I can't help but fear for a meltdown soon.
Matt & Redmond: :res: I might actually like Justin of #TheGreenTeam more than Redmond? At least Justin wasn't stuck in middle school...
London & Logan:  Yikes, a little embarrassing/disappointing for London's skills to not pay off but the important thing is that they switched Detours on time.  Also, what is Logan wearing on this Race??  Like really?
Brooke & Scott:  I honestly do not remember one single thing about them this leg other than the fact that Brooke worked with London and Floyd at the Roadblock.
Shamir & Sara:  It's so disheartening to see Shamir get frustrated so easily.  They could be a decent team if he just lost that dang temper.  I love Sara too much to dislike this team as a whole.  I did like seeing Shamir cheer on Sara at the Roadblock.  And their genuine excitement at being Team #7 was way better than last week's reaction.
Becca & Floyd:  I understand Becca's frustration at Floyd.  You ran a solid leg, only for your Race to end abruptly because your partner let his passport fall out or get left behind.  But yeah, the fake punch and the "broken nose" comment were over-the-top :res:
Seth & Olive:  I feel bad for them being eliminated but at the end of the day, they were a strong team and it's smart--I should say, common knowledge--to try to eliminate the stronger team. I have to wonder: how were they not able to catch up if Matt & Redmond were? ??? Did they take too long at the Weave Detour, perhaps?

Thoughts on the U-Turn placement:  I have to say, the race from the ferry to the U-Turn board was the most suspenseful feeling I've felt from TAR in a long time.  It's too bad that placing the U-Turn before the Detour only depends on luck, whereas if it was placed after, the right to U-Turn would be earned.  Also, production was probably tired of U-Turns going to waste because teams don't wanna use it too early (I know this one was blind though) or they didn't wanna risk people U-Turning others ahead of them.  I know I, as a viewer, was tired of watching U-Turns not producing the suspenseful effect production probably wants.  It always surprises me how the VERY first Double U-Turn back in TAR 17 was probably the best Double U-Turn to occur.

Question:  What would have happened in Floyd didn't realize he lost his passport until all teams have checked in and they eliminated Seth & Olive already? ??? A Heather & Eve-esque elimination?!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
what miss airport drama

Offline amazingracefanforum

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
I am so glad that Amazing Race is back!!!!!!!!!  I don't understand why CBS kept it off the air for so long! 

I am really disappointed that Seth and Olive got eliminated; I expected them to be one of the final 3.  I was also disappointed that the female canine officer and the military female got eliminated last week; I didn't think they would have gotten eliminated so soon ... I think their problem was that they were not treating time of the essence.

Thank you reality fan forum for this site!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
Another great Leg.  I cant understand why Phil said in that interview that the Race only picks up after the third Leg?  ???  Because it's been great up to this point, so I can't wait to see how much better it gets.  :hoot:

I was upset to see Seth & Olive eliminated, but it's nice to have such an unpredictable elimination.

Mike & Liz coming 1st again was  :conf:

Haven't done this yet for this Season, but here's the Team Averages as of Leg 3:
Matt & Redmond: 3.33
Mike & Liz: 4
Vanck & Ashton: 4
Seth & Olive: 4.66
Tara & Joey: 5
Becca & Floyd: 5
Brooke & Scott: 5.33
London & Logan: 7
Shamir & Sara: 7

It's crazy to think that the Teams that looked like the dominant M/F teams, are doing the worst, and the weaker looking teams are dominating.  :funny:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
Just finished watching the episode and I’m very well impressed. There’s the unpredictability and shuffling of placements and the competitiveness between the teams. The editing is taking cues from the golden era of TAR and kudos for the editors for doing so. It was really tense and kept us to the edge of our seat.

Logan is right, A visit to Africa itself is a bucketlist. Love the Tanzanian visit. I got flashbacks of the Real All Stars (S.11)

Detour: Awesome, it was definitely giving back to Tanzanian kids by building tables and chairs, attention to detail is key. Also, doing in part of saving the environment of building coconut bags which were tedious
Roadblock: One of the best I’ve seen.  Immersing yourself in the culture, haggling searching for the specific ingredients.

U-Turn: I think it is a strategic move to place it even before the tasks, it was something fresh and it did not go to waste.

Liz & Mike killed this leg from worst the 1st leg to coming in 1st 2 legs in a row, they’re the team to beat.

Matt & Redmond being U-Turned, completing the Roadblock with ease is a team that is a force to be reckoned with. Coming in 4th. Just wow. Can’t wait for them to annihilate Vanck & Ashton and U-Turn them a la Shelley & Nici vs. Keith & Whitney in S.25

Tara & Joey U-Turning Seth & Olive and lying to Matt & Redmond, they’re playing the game!

Shamir & Sara were pleasant this leg, although Shamir needs some anger management

Brooke is still annoying

London, Brooke & Floyd working together is nice.

Floyd losing his passport almost cost them the race. Becca’s not a happy camper.

Seth & Olive are a strong team but how did they not recover as compared to Matt & Redmond. I’m curious to know.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:01:12 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2017, 06:24:21 AM »
while we are on the forefront of the discussions of the leg, I definitely am loving this season. The Drama has increased from the previous season [I think the 1st instance of drama in s28 was in leg 4 when no one helped Jessica do the roadblock? I honestly thought she would pull a marie and beat them but I was so wrong] and I am so pumped for the future legs!
I really liked it when Matt and Redmond in leg 1 when they got the scoot detour on their first attempt. But then they immediately fell behind last leg when they dishonoured their handshake agreement with Vanck and Ashton. My hate for them exacerbated when they 1) broke the line for booking the ferry tickets & 2) got so damn salty when they found out they got u-turned. Like jeez, redmond, you've lost a leg before. Doing both sides of a detour won't kill you.
Even the detour was pretty nice - I really like tasks where they provide to local community in some ways; And the fact that all teams (Except for london and logan, but then again london gave up :|) choose that detour really makes me happy!
Tara & Joey's decision to U-turn Seth & Olive definitely paid off. I mean Seth and Olive were the 1st ones to finish the detour, but then again that would've meant that shamir and sara would've been in last, which I frankly don't mind.
The Roadblock was also nice - the most memorable task in recent history which I can recall, was of the same kind was in s26 leg 10 for the mamas detour (but then again only hayley and blair attempted it so...)
It was really a pleasant surprise when Liz and Mike beat yet another team (that was this close to coming first!) to the pit-stop! from zero to hero, they've definitely proved themselves to be an emerging threat. Tara and Joey redeemed their U-turn fair and square and took a huge leap from 7th to 2nd.
It was so awkward when Vanck and Ashton and Matt and Redmond checked in right after each other  :-X and Redmond threatening to get them in the later legs and also talking about how he likes Vanck and despises Ashton... yikes.
I really liked the fact that Brooke, London and Floyd decided to work together to get the roadblock done. Yet another leg of subtlety for LoLo. Surprisingly, Brooke and Scott didn't bicker in this leg, so that's a good point (but then again, the preview shows her flipping out in the next roadblock...)
It came as a shock when Becca showed her violent side  :adevil; I mean to say that everybody's perception on Becca has definitely changed. Regardless, I'm still rooting for them and I do think that if they don't suffer such casualties (like - for instance they almost got eliminated because of a Kaylani Kasualty [a la losing your passport but then finding it again]) they'll make it far into the race.
Even though Shamir was whining in this leg (again  :groan:), they still managed to snag a 7th place. Good for them! My advice to Shamir - 1) strap on a harness and figure out how they're gonna work with you & 2) help your sister build your furniture from IKEA.
Hopefully they'll calm down and run a few normal legs.
Seth & Olive getting eliminated was a huge shocker for many people; but this isn't an invitation for getting rid of the u-turn (some people are actually complaining!). But I didn't really get attached to them, they were mostly non-reactive for many moments. But I still feel they should've won a prize for winning the leg. This concept of getting the express pass in other ways is just weird.

The preview has got me so hyped up!!! more Brooke and Scott drama! Vanck and Ashton drama?! can't wait (and I am so far loving this season!)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
THANK YOU RACHEL for the AWESOME UPDATES!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »

Thank you reality fan forum for this site!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww. :tu!

:ghug:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:35 AM »
 :didimiss: I have finally watched the episode!

It's cool to have teams go from Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar by boat. It gives off some TAR11 vibes, but that one took about 12 hours per boat for some reason. ???

Tara & Joey U-turning Seth & Olive was a very strategic move! It's surprising to see Joey & Tara leading. Tara picking Joey and making them both underdogs paid off in a way that they don't seem like a threat to others. In contrast to that, Seth & Olive proved how strong they were as a team, from SLT to Leg 1, even to Leg 2 and also the Leg 3 detour. Seth & Olive finishing the detour first shows how strong of a team they are! :ascared

In contrast to the strategic U-turn, a personal U-turn also happened this leg. :lol: The 1st 2 teams made some use of the Blind W-turn at least. I don't mind seeing the W-turn in front of the detour, but I do agree that having it at the end of the detour shows that the team has earned the right to be there first, whereas the one before the detour is usually based on luck. TAR27 had a U-turn before the detour, and that leg was somewhat linear since it was held in the same country as the previous leg. This one is right from the boat ride to the Blind W-turn, so it was also luck-based. I'm fine with the W-turn being placed in front, I just think there are better ways to position it.

Back to the personal U-turn drama, I honestly don't like Ashton making a big fuss out of this, but I get why she wants to use the U-turn. Vanck was much funnier, and I find him the most entertaining part of the drama. He's like the 4th wheel in a tricycle. :lol:
Redmond: "You should be scared."
Vanck: "Uh... okay."
:funny:

It's cool how we got to see some more backstory from London, like how we saw the one from Tara last leg. It sucks how weaving with palm leaves made LoLo switch detours though.

It's nice to add the 4 local language phrases at the end of the build detour, but I wish it was a switchback from TAR12 instead. Ever saw other franchises that had an ARI mid-leg alongside a detour and a roadblock? That's what I wish they could've done for the 4 local phrases. It's not a big deal for me. This leg still delivered. If it was a bit longer like that though, then I'd most likely like the leg even more.

Shamir & Sara got into each other's nerves again, but at least it wasn't as bad as last time. They could do really well as I see potential in them as a team. It just so happened that a building task wasn't fit for them for some reason.

I like the detour this leg. Both tasks require attention to detail, but the difference is on the large- or small-scale making of the product. The tasks are more similar in nature than contrasting. I think it's only the size that makes a difference. It's also cool how the Build detour helped the community in Zanzibar. I'm guessing the Weave detour did too, but maybe I just didn't see how. ???

As for the roadblock, I like it too. It's a nice way to spice things up by having the list be in a different language from English, and the leg money being needed for the task. I like the dramatic parts wherein the teams don't have enough money by the time they got to the roadblock. Even I wouldn't expect having to use leg money for a required (non-fast-forward) task. The task is more of getting help from the locals, thanks to the list being in a local language. Despite help from locals, some teams still couldn't get everything done as soon as possible.

Back to Matt & Red and Vanck & Ashton, I like how the former made a big comeback after finishing both sides of the detour. That's not something anybody usually sees, especially in the US version. It's also cool how they finished the detour in 7th, and not in last. From there, it's nice how Matt & Red passed 3 teams during the roadblock. It's so funny how Vanck & Ashton's confessional happened before Matt & Red's arrival to the pit stop. :lol: That was so awkward, yet it showed how Matt & Red proved to Vanck & Ashton that they can't be taken down by a U-turn. :yess: :hoot: That was such an amazing comeback by Matt & Red!
Redmond: "I like Vanck, but I don't like Ashton." <-- Me right now on their drama.

That sudden lost passport was a plot twist. :o One moment we see 2 teams fighting for last at the roadblock. The next moment, another team is not yet done with the leg because of a missing passport. It's nice to see #TeamFun still survive, but the change of the mood from that sudden heart attack was not so nice to see. At least they survived!

Seth & Olive being eliminated this leg and this early was a total shocker! :o All it takes is one U-turn!? I thought they could make a comeback like Matt & Red, but what happened!? I now wonder how long they took at the Weave detour. The U-turn choice by Tara was still strategic, as it would put them behind from the front, but I didn't expect them to be booted out by it. :ascared I thought they would have some other trouble aside from the U-turn that got them eliminated, but I am really surprised that the U-turn was the only reason they were eliminated. There is no way avoiding it, as they got to the Blind W-turn in 8th place from the ferry terminal. It was like a Trez & Lou case from TARA5. There was almost no way of surviving the leg based on that design and that position. It's sad to see a strong team like Seth & Olive go. :torche To the other racers though, that is one big threat down! Tara played the game very well, from picking the partner and now to this very strategic U-turn move.

I'm thinking Seth & Olive could've survived the leg had they done the weaving before the building. ??? I can see this from comparing it with Matt & Red's performance. On their respective 1st detours, both were in a hurry in finishing the respective tasks, but when they got to the other detour, it's a different feeling. Matt & Red getting to the 2nd detour and still seeing teams there lightened them up, knowing that they are not last and still have a chance in catching up. Eventually, they did beat one team on the same side of the detour. Meanwhile, Seth & Olive might have thought that they have 1 detour down, so they probably relaxed a bit since the other side of the detour that they have to do is already done. But even if they do not have that way of thinking though, there were no teams on the weaving side, so they could not tell how fast they should work to stay away from last place. This is unlike Matt & Red case wherein they could see compare their progress to Sara & Shamir's at the very least. I'm no psychologist; this is just my analysis. If Seth & Olive weren't U-turned, I don't think they will surely check in for 1st place, because they had issues with the Brazilian currency, but the Blind W-turn changed their game. :( P.S. I'm still bothered by the fact that I do not know whether they had won something for winning Leg 1 or not.

Overall, this was a really nice leg! :hoot: I'm excited for the next double episode! :bump :wohoo:

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Anyone notice that there were multiple ferry times on the newspaper? Was production expecting teams to be split up? ???

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
Anyone notice that there were multiple ferry times on the newspaper? Was production expecting teams to be split up? ???

Yes. I think it was coincidence all the teams got on the same boat.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
IIRC teams found the newspapers at night, but only departed on the ferry the following morning.
So perhaps the teams were expected to arrive on different flights, causing some to miss the earliest ferry?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »
I imagine production had memories of the last time teams tried to fly from (Maputo to) Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam and added the forced ferries as a way to prevent a team from being 17 hours behind or something. Plus, there was at least one earlier connecting flight that teams missed out on which makes me think that earlier flights were selling out as well.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 29: Sara Fowler
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
Was it shown that they switched detours in Leg 3? ??? That might be part of why they finished near the bottom in Leg 3.