The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

If You Could Teach An Amazing Race College Course...

(1/4) > >>

RachelLeVega:
If you were offered a chance to teach graduates and undergraduates at your favorite university about The Amazing Race, what would you lecture and make activities about? From the process of production and filming on the go, the impact of the show on the world, and/or Heavens forbid memorizing every location they visited, how would you inspire college students to understand your perspective and develop their knowledge on the subject?
:geekon:

BourkieBoy:
I would bring in phil for a lecture!

and then make up 'the amazing college race' where they go running around the college searching for clues and then performing them!

ianthebalance:
I'd teach about how the race is scheduled and the balance between longer legs and legs done all in one day. Teach how production tends to make pit stops longer for more complex or very little flight routes, where it would be hard or in a few cases impossible for production to make it ahead of the teams. Also a bonus lesson in how the elimination station location is determined, as it often corresponds with where the final city is to make traveling to it easier.

Well I could say more but that would go on and on...

gamerfan09:
It would honestly be a class about the editing of this show and character development - how Reality TV is more than just what is meant to be 'real'. Reality TV can be more organic and realistic than what the common stereotype is. Reality TV even rivals tough drama at times through sheer 'character development'.

That seemed too deep but I could actually make an entire class out of that using TAR3 or TAR5 alone :lol:

Platrium:
There can be too many things to teach in this TAR course that it may not fit in 1 course alone. There has to be a way to condense it though.

1. Introduction of The Amazing Race (esp. common mistakes made by past teams)
2. Travel Preparation: Travel Safety, what to pack, and so on...
3. Film Process: Filmography, Casting, Editing, Music, etc.
4. Travel Locations: Route Info and Pit Stop
5. Differentiation of Task Types: Physical, Mental, Luck, Eating, Heights, etc.
6. Basic Task Design: Roadblock
7. Basic Task Design: Active Route Info
8. Basic Task Design: Detour
9. Basic Leg Design
10. Understanding Team Dynamics
11. Midterm Project: Design a leg with at least 1 roadblock and 1 detour given any location.
12. Leg Prizes and Sponsors
13. Misc. Race Elements: Yields and U-turns
14. Misc. Race Elements: Speedbump and Marked for Elimination (Non-elimination penalty)
15. Misc. Race Elements: Express Pass
16. Advanced Task Design: Fast Forward
17. Advanced Task Design: Intersection and Double Battle
18. Advanced Leg Design: Faux Pit Stops
19. Advanced Leg Design: Starting Line Tasks, Double Roadblock Legs, Switchback, etc.
20. Twist Design and Management: What is a good twist?
21. Understanding Audience Feedback
22. Final Project: Design a whole race. Include cast.

I'm not sure if this is good enough. :lol: It was fun though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version