Author Topic: TAR 29: Mike Rado  (Read 10812 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 29: Mike Rado
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:50:11 AM »
Biography

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Penn.
Current occupation: Butcher

Describe what you do: I own and operate an old times butcher shop in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh. We specialize in locally sourced and ethically raised meats. We make everything on site, including bacon and our famous kielbasa.

3 words to describe you: Fun, driven and kind.

Favorite hobbies: Fishing, camping, brewing beer, playing in my band, playing and watching ice hockey and, most importantly, hanging out with my wife and daughter.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? My 6-year-old daughter is kind, smart and polite.

What scares you most about traveling? I am not crazy about super long flights.

What excites you most about traveling? The food!

What qualities do you hope your partner has? The ability to read a map, a good sense of direction and preferably bilingual.

What qualities will be hard for you to put up with in a partner? High maintenance, non-appreciative of the opportunity we have, and rude and ignorant to other cultures.

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? The fact that we are complete strangers.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I honestly cannot answer that. I want to see the whole world.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to make my daughter proud of me.

Follow on Instagram: @muchodestructo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:12:55 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 29: Mike Rado
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
Meet Michael Rado From The Amazing Race Season 29

Watch 37-year-old Pittsburg resident Michael Rado talk about his expectations going into the Race, why he's ready to see the world, and how far he would go to win.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j9CJlS6-txQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j9CJlS6-txQ</a>

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:43 PM »

Medina native Rado competing on ‘Amazing Race’

Former Dominic’s, Jojo’s cook cast for the upcoming season

Photo by MONTY BRINTON/CBS BROADCASTING, INC.

“The Amazing Race” returns this season March 30 with a race unlike any before, including Medina native Mike Rado as a contestant.

By KEVIN MCMANUS The Post editor

MEDINA – You’ve got cops, veterans, athletes, models and real estate agents – and then there’s Mike Rado, the burly butcher with a big beard and a bunch of tattoos.

Rado, 37, who grew up in Medina, will appear on season 29 of CBS’ “The Amazing Race,” the uber-popular reality TV competition pitting 11 teams of two in a scavenger-hunt-like race around the world.

“It’s the chance of a lifetime,” Rado, a 1996 Medina High School graduate, said. “I’ve always watched it. I’ve loved it for years and years.”

The season premiere is Thursday, March 30 at 10 p.m. eastern – and you’d better believe they’ll be watching on the big screens down at Jojo’s on South Jefferson Street in Medina.

Although Rado hails from Pittsburgh these days – he and his wife, Katie, own Butcher on Butler in Lawrenceville on the city’s northeast side – Rado is a former cook of several years at Jojo’s Sports Bar & Grille, as well as the attached Dominic’s Pizzera & Italian Restaurant.

Jojo’s is hosting “The Amazing Race” watch parties for both episode 1 and episode 2 on April 5, the latter of which Rado said he will be in attendance for.

“I’ve known the Carrinos forever,” Rado said of the family that owns both establishments. “Dino, Ma’ Betty – the whole crew. They’re like a second family to me, always had a job for me, always supportive. The crew there is where I learned to properly cook.”

Season 29 of “The Amazing Race” was filmed last summer during a period of three weeks. Stepping off from Los Angeles, this season will span nine countries, 17 cities and 36,000 miles, a CBS spokeswoman said.

The shtick this time is each contestant is a stranger to each other, different from previous races where the duos typically audition together.

“I think it was fantastic, the chemistry we developed,” Rado said of his teammate, who could not be revealed ahead of the premier. “Everyone was so kind and welcoming, every cast mate was so cool ... some of the closest bonds I’ll ever have.”

Rado – who “on paper” considers himself one of the more unorthodox of the 22 contestants – didn’t even have to audition for the spot on what he says is one of his favorite TV shows.

Flexing his meaty culinary muscles on Esquire TV’s “The Next Best Burger” in 2015, that appearance grabbed the attention of a third-party casting agency that approached Rado with the idea of appearing on “The Amazing Race.”

“They asked me if I had ever heard of it. I said, ‘You’re kidding; get outta here.’ Since the show’s inception, I wanted to be on it,” Rado said. “It’s the only network reality show I was truly ever interested in.”

Rado said the experience was monumental because of the fast-paced traveling through different cultures.

“You’re coming in, working, respecting cultures and learning. That’s what I liked about it,” he said. “If you get a chance to travel the world like that, do it.”

Although he knows his own outcome, as well as the outcome of season 29, both of which CBS required Rado to keep quiet on, he has no idea what footage will actually be used when the episodes air.

“You say a lot of things in the heat of the moment when you’re hungry, dehydrated and sleep-deprived,” he said. “The biggest reason to watch is the dynamic of 22 strangers on this fantastic voyage and forming that tight bond, very unique and organic.”

http://html5.pagesuite.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=9443e515-198b-4e1a-879d-6f34a249be62
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
It sucks to get a direct slap in the face for being U-turned by the racer he helped earlier in the season. :(

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
That was so long ago, I don't really understand his pettiness.

Teams helping each other early on in the race is completely understandable. Teams getting more cutthroat and utilising every power to keep themselves in the race is just as reasonable.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 06:04:37 AM »
I liked this guy, RIP  :dontgo:

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »

Teams helping each other early on in the race is completely understandable. Teams getting more cutthroat and utilising every power to keep themselves in the race is just as reasonable.

It was only seven days earlier

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
For me, Mike made this Season.  :hoot:  He just seemed like a great guy, not saying the rest of the cast aren't nice people, but I just think he's like that big cuddly teddy that looks like someone that get's judge by his looks, but is actually a genuine nice, soft hearted guy.  :torche

Gonna be sadly missed, and Brooke & Scott U-Turning them was just a joke.  They were first for gods sake, they had no reason to U-Turn anyone.  Sooner Brooke goes home the better.  :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
They needed a buffer and Mike & Liz won 2 legs in a row and are a very strong team currently saddled with a Speed Bump, I would take the opportunity too *shrugs*

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »

It was only seven days earlier
Yes, I know.
Whether you are talking about the airing of the episodes, or the actual race time, it's still one third of the entirety.

And when teams don't understand that others might not want to help towards the end of the race although they willingly helped earlier on, I find it a bit pathetic.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »
I understand completey...people develop relationships...and feelings are real, and feelings get hurt. One reason I DESPISE the U-Turn.  But that is a convo for elsewhere, back to Mike please!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
Sad to see Mike (and Liz) go :(

His anger towards Brooke and Scott was reasonable... Who doesn't get mad when you got betrayed...

But he should have known that he couldn't expect to be helped by other team after he helped them, especially when the race get narrowed and closer edge to edge... Everybody want to win, and there's no such thing is true alliance, your ally in this race is merely your teammate.
what might have been

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »
Posted with Mike's permission from FB....please read:

Michael Rado with Joey Covino and 18 others.

May 12 at 2:42pm ·

Well I’ve had a nearly a year to write this so you would think it would be easier, but here I sit, struggling to find the words.

The Amazing Race is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. I don’t recall ever being so physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. Even if we hadn’t made it through leg one (almost!), I would have fulfilled a years long dream just by being a part of it. I have so many people to thank and I honestly don’t know where to begin. That said, I’ll start with:

Liz Espey. I could not have asked for a better partner. Seriously. This is one truly remarkable young lady, and I will treasure our time together and our friendship for the rest of my life. You deserved a better partner than me, especially in Norway and Greece. I can’t apologize enough for my damned bullheadedness and temper. I truly do love you like a little sister, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you.

Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri. The two of you created something magical with The Amazing Race. It has always been, bar none, my favorite reality television show. The respect and dignity with which you treat our hosting nations and cultures is unmatched. Same goes for your treatment of the crew. Thank you so much for selecting me for this once in a lifetime adventure.

Phil Keoghan. One of the coolest, most fascinating men I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I can’t imagine anyone else hosting this wonderful show. This guy is somehow more charming and genuine in person than he is on television. I still owe you dinner.

My castmates. What can I say. 22 strangers met up in a park one summer afternoon for an unparalleled adventure. We walked away three weeks later as friends. All of us. I cannot say enough nice things about these outstanding human beings. I will treasure our time together and our friendships forever. For those of you wondering, I’m not mad at Brooke and Scott. They outplayed us within the rules of the game. Yes, at the time, I was hurt and betrayed. But life is too short to carry around anger and grudges. It eats away at you. I won’t fall into that trap. Knowing what I do now, I would’ve still helped them in Tanzania, because to not do so would betray my nature. I love you all to bits and cannot wait to see what’s next.

Erika Landin Rich, Duffy Rich, and Jesse Tannenbaum (but especially Erika) for believing that I would be a good fit for the show and for encouraging me all the way through the final audition process. You guys rock. Special thanks for the whiskey Duffy.

The crew. These people ran the race with us, but backwards, and with an absurd amount of gear on their backs and shoulders. They listened to all of us whine and bitch and cry and meltdown et cetera. True rockstars.

The fans. Where do I start? I continue to be overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from strangers. My high school and college classmates and friends. Former employers and mentors. I smile every day when I see positive people encouraging us on our adventure. I am so glad that we could share it with all of you. Never in a million years could I have imagined how many people would take the time from their day to cheer us on (and yes, a percentage of you don’t like me and are glad to see me gone, and that’s cool too). I truly hope I didn’t disappoint any of you that cheered us on. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the best fans in the world!

Former racers. Holy cow. What an amazing support network. You all came out of the woodwork to help us deal with our newfound fame and were all so positive and helpful. Even Justin Scheman. I’m honored to have a shared experience with you all. I’m sorry for anything I ever yelled at you from my couch in the past.

To ALL the people of Panama City, Sao Paolo, Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, Norway, Milan, Lake Como, Venice, and Greece (and wherever comes next!). Thank you for being so incredibly welcoming and kind to a bunch of crazy Americans running through your respective homelands. Gracias, Obrigado, Asante, Takk skal du ha, Grazie, ευχαριστώ

Finally, my family. It takes a strong woman to let a knucklehead like me take off for an entire month, and my wife Katie M. Rado is as strong as they come. She is my best friend, my biggest ally, and my partner in crime. I love you so much. Pearl Anne, My heart and soul. There is nothing in the world I wouldn’t do for you kid. Reach for the stars and live your dreams and don’t ever let anyone tell you that you aren’t the amazing person I know you to be. Every moment with you is a treasure. My love for you is immeasurable, and I hope you look back on this race in the years to come and are proud of your old man. To both Grandmas, Pam and Mama Theresa Laffey, my sister Tessa, my brother Noah, my father Tony Rado and my sister from another mister Kristen Rado. Thanks for helping to wrangle Miss P while Katie ran the shop and picked up ALL my slack.

To anyone I forgot, I’m sorry. I’m exhausted and overwhelmed and please don’t take it personally.

If anyone is still reading, my number one takeaway from the race is this. I’ve always believed that people are inherently good. This race affirmed that optimism in spades. Color, race, religion, sexuality, gender, everything that makes us different makes us wonderful. Celebrate diversity. To all the xenophobes terrified of “radical Islam”, I will say that Zanzibar, a primarily Muslim island, was full of some of the kindest, happiest people I have ever met. I hope to one day go back and fully enjoy everything your country has to offer (this goes to everywhere we visited). To all of you reading this. Travel! Go outside your comfort zone. Eat and do things that scare you. Be adventurous. Most importantly, be kind. Love people and don’t be afraid to tell them as much. Life is too short to carry hatred and anger.
 I’m done. I need a nap. I got winded just watching myself run up those stairs in Greece (twice!). I love you all. Stay tuned. You haven’t heard the last of the Bearded Butcher. #theamazingrace #teamlizandmike #tar29 #worldraceproductions #philiminator #cbs #RUNFATBOYRUN

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »
^^^ Love the concluding paragraph! Very powerful! :conf:

If anyone is still reading, my number one takeaway from the race is this. I’ve always believed that people are inherently good. This race affirmed that optimism in spades. Color, race, religion, ***uality, gender, everything that makes us different makes us wonderful. Celebrate diversity. To all the xenophobes terrified of “radical Islam”, I will say that Zanzibar, a primarily Muslim island, was full of some of the kindest, happiest people I have ever met. I hope to one day go back and fully enjoy everything your country has to offer (this goes to everywhere we visited). To all of you reading this. Travel! Go outside your comfort zone. Eat and do things that scare you. Be adventurous. Most importantly, be kind. Love people and don’t be afraid to tell them as much. Life is too short to carry hatred and anger.
 I’m done. I need a nap. I got winded just watching myself run up those stairs in Greece (twice!). I love you all. Stay tuned. You haven’t heard the last of the Bearded Butcher. #theamazingrace #teamlizandmike #tar29 #worldraceproductions #philiminator #cbs #RUNFATBOYRUN

Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »
I LOVE THIS GUY NOW! SO HUMBLE IN DEFEAT!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
 :conf: :hrt: :hoot:

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Wow what a good speech, especially the last paragraph, i couldn't agree more with you

But actually i'm kinda interested with this 👇👇

Even Justin Scheman. I’m honored to have a shared experience with you all. I’m sorry for anything I ever yelled at you from my couch in the past.

What the :lol:

what might have been

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Yelling at Justin from the couch? HE'S ONE OF US!!!

In seriousness, great post.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
who is justin scherman
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
who is justin scherman
That's the spirit!

Maybe if you ignore it, it will go away. :)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
Great speech from Mike! It's truly nice to see how apologetic he is over what he did - most racers would just say it was an act of editing, Mike actually owned up to it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
who is justin scheman

Justin and Diana, Season 27.

Back to Mike please?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:20 AM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-michael-rado-talks-the-amazing-race-my-bullheadedness-is-what-got-us-axe-22008.php

Wow, getting lost cost them two hours! A must read!

Wow that's must be a long way to get back....

But they still managed to pass Becca and Floyd and got to Arachova before them... So must say that Becca and Floyd got lost worse than them... Maybe team fun cost approximately 2 quarter hours ???
what might have been