Author Topic: TAR 29: Kevin Ng  (Read 4876 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 29: Kevin Ng
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »
Biography

Hometown: San Diego
Current occupation: Physio/Certified Athletic Trainer/O-PAC at the USA Rugby Olympic Training Center.

Describe what you do: Care, prevention and rehabilitation of elite athletes.

3 words to describe you: Long hair, happy and aerodynamic.

Favorite hobbies: Surfing, snorkeling, diving and anything water. Basically a mermaid but a man version, a merman. Sometimes I grow legs and enjoy camping, rock climbing and hanging with my dog.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Finishing my master's program allowing me to work with our Olympic Rugby Team.

What scares you most about traveling? The middle seat on the airplane. It's a nonstop elbow war on both sides. Claim it early and spread those wings.

What excites you most about traveling? Seeing everything and anything new. It’s my first time traveling outside the U.S. and I want to see and eat everything. Rumor has it that the toilet flushes counter clockwise in some places. Need to verify that fact.

What qualities do you hope your partner has? Easy going but competitive, composed and positive with good communication. And has an extra pair of socks. I didn't bring any.

What qualities will be hard for you to put up with in a partner? Negativity and complaining. Use all that energy and focus on the next job at hand. Also, not being able to push their body to the limits and working outside their comfort zone.

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? Driving. I'm going to say it, but Asians and cars sometimes don't mix.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Fiji, anywhere on the beach. The beaches are beautiful and I'll excel in the water if it's swimming or with a board.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Meeting great people even though they'll be my frien-enimes on the Race. Opening my experiences further and seeing the world and having fun at the same time.

Follow on Instagram: @itkeving
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:10:08 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 29: Kevin Ng
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »
Meet Kevin Ng From The Amazing Race Season 29

Watch certified athletic Rugby trainer Kevin Ng discuss his travels, why trust is going to be his biggest challenge, and why he's sticking to the "long hair, don't care" motto.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/--M4G5Dpg2Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/--M4G5Dpg2Q</a>

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? Driving. I'm going to say it, but Asians and cars sometimes don't mix.

:o Well, that makes more sense now. :ascared

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »

Aren't they not supposed to give away spoilers in their intro interviews :groan::funny:?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »

Aren't they not supposed to give away spoilers in their intro interviews :groan::funny:?

That wasn't a spoiler... but it can be interpreted as one? ???

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
*knock knock*
Whos's there?
Sarcasm.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 06:24:39 AM »
*knock knock*
Whos's there?
Sarcasm.
Oh my...
:groan::funny:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-kevin-ng-talks-the-amazing-race-season-29-experience-21766.php

Exclusive: Kevin Ng talks 'The Amazing Race' Season 29 experience
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 04/04/2017

Kevin Ng and Jennifer "Jenn" Lee were eliminated from The Amazing Race during the first Season 29 broadcast on CBS.

Kevin, a 31-year-old athletic trainer from San Diego, CA, and Jenn, a 25-year-old professional model from Los Angeles, CA, paired up on the first day of the Race when they were total strangers.

They became the first team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the season's first Pit Stop at Cinta Costera Tres in Panama City in last place out of 11 competing couples.

In an exclusive interview with Reality TV World via email, Kevin talked about his short-lived The Amazing Race experience -- including mistakes made and how he felt about having Jenn as his partner. Below is what Kevin had to say.

Reality TV World: When you arrived at the Pit Stop in tenth place, it was already dark outside. Do you have any idea how long after Jessica "Jessie" Shields and Francesca Piccoli, the ninth-place finishers, you arrived at the Pit Stop?

Kevin Ng: Honestly I had zero idea how far we were behind Franny and Jess, I just wanted to focus on our job at hand. Getting us there.

Reality TV World: Did you expect the two-hour time penalty once you learned you couldn't complete the Detour due to safety reasons? And what was going through your mind in the moments before Liz Espey and Michael Rado showed up and stole your place on The Race?

Kevin Ng: You know when your dog craps in the house and he's house trained? That's how unexpected it was. But immediately I just knew we had to work fast to get there. I wanted to keep rowing my little heart out, just one more shot to row because we would have had it; we never flipped we worked the like champs, one shot wasn't enough.

In my mind, when I saw Liz and Big Mike running up, I thought, "Damn, Big Mike looks haggard. Get that man water now," and I realized both sides ran as hard as we could. We tried our best and nothing else we could do.

Reality TV World: You two appeared to get lost trying to find the canopy tower. How long were you searching for the entrance to the tower? Was this the only time you got lost?

Kevin Ng: The canopy tower was a rough one. There was actually two, we went to the one that was a military base. Panama, get some street signs.

Reality TV World: Would you say looking for the canopy tower was the biggest time sink you had during this leg? What about all the traffic? What did you feel were your most time-consuming mistakes or events?

Kevin Ng: Canopy Tower was the most time consuming we went in multiple directions, but I'm sure everyone did. Traffic, you can't fight it. Everyone has to deal with it.

Reality TV World: Why did you two ultimately choose the canoe racing Detour task instead of the bow and arrow? And looking back, do you regret that choice?

Kevin Ng:  I felt very comfortable on either or. I like to shoot compound bows and if it needed balancing on water, I think I can handle that. Isn't balancing on water surfing? Rowing, well it's the same as a outrigger canoe and paddle boarding or kayaking all which I do. Jenn felt more comfortable rowing and I completely backed her decision. 

Reality TV World: What was your reaction when Jenn picked you as her partner? Were you surprised and pleased, or were you maybe hoping for a male partner to help with strength and physical challenges on the show?

Kevin Ng: First thing I asked is if she had extra hair ties. She did. Savior! I only brought two. It would have been a long ride. I was stoked she picked me, she was like my little sister on the show.

Reality TV World: Jenn mentioned in her final words that it would've been a game-changer had either of you stepped up and been more authoritative. What is your opinion on her statement, do you agree? Did you feel your team was unmotivated because you didn't have anyone pushing you, or did you two have trouble making decisions because you were both so laid back?

Kevin Ng: We both ran the best we could, there's always ways to improve, but during that leg, we put it all out and I'm happy with both of our performances. It's a team, you have to work together; not yell at each other. We were motivated, we showed it differently. Being calm and collective is my job, freaking out is basically when a patient is coding or an athlete is having a spinal injury or a head trauma. 

It looks like we're laid back because Jenn and I can handle high stress situations at ease. She's in front of the camera all the time in high-stress job situations and she's always calm and collective. We were focusing at the job at hand the entire time, we didn't need to worry about others on the race. Our dynamic was great, for meeting each other so quickly we bonded quick; that's all we needed.

Reality TV World: Which team/s did you view as the biggest threats this early on, and did you start thinking about possible alliances? If so, which teams could you envision yourselves working with down the road had you stayed in the Race.

Kevin Ng: Biggest threats were "Team America" for sure and the "Swoll Sisters." They were big and strong but we had speed. I thought they were used to a high caloric intake prior to the race and during the race their expended calories would outweigh their consumed calories, which would cause more fatigue later on, then get hangry and fall apart. 

I was happy with Jenn because I knew she did cardio and was use to a lower calorie diet from looking at her. She'd eat less! So we'd be well prepared in the long run. (Sorry I went all exercise physiology; but I had to use my sports medicine degree somehow).

Reality TV World: Were you surprised producers didn't make a rule that the Racers had to choose guy-girl teams to be fair? And what did you think about the casting twist in general?

Kevin Ng: To me it didn't matter about a guy-girl team. Every player has a strength and weakness, it's about finding it and utilizing it. The twist was weird at first. You have to open up so quick and you don't really know how much buttons you can push on a person from meeting them so quickly.

Reality TV World: How long have you wanted to appear on The Amazing Race and are you a big fan of the show? How were you cast and was this your first time applying?

Kevin Ng: It was a fluke experience to get on The Amazing Race via social media, so it was a total surprise! It was my first time applying and I was hesitant since it was so close to the Olympics, but traveling around the world is something few can dream of. So I had to take advantage of it.  Hopefully I'll be at the next one.

Reality TV World: What's the status of your relationship with Jenn like now? Did you two maintain a friendship after the show, especially considering you both live in California?

Kevin Ng: She's my lil sister. We're friends and have a close relationship. We FaceTime once a week and even went camping together. Still a family!

To begin reading Reality TV World's exclusive post-The Amazing Race interview with Jenn Lee, click here.