Author Topic: TAR 29: Liz Espey  (Read 4608 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 29: Liz Espey
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »
Biography

Hometown: Maryville, Mo.
Current occupation: Auctioneer

Describe what you do: I BID 20 NOW 25! I am an auctioneer! I have grown up in the auction profession since I was 6 years old, when I sold my first item! I am a 5th generation auctioneer in my family. I own my own auction company, Liz Espey Auctions, in Maryville, Mo., where I specialize in Antique, Machinery, Real Estate, Business Liquidations and Personal Property Auctions, just to name a few!

3 words to describe you: Confident, sassy, and firecracker! They don't call me Firecracker for nothing!

Favorite hobbies: My favorite hobbies are horseback riding, spending time with my two Australian Shepherds, Trixie and Texas, out on the farm, and working closely with my father on auctions.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? The accomplishment that I am most proud of is graduating from the World Wide College of Auctioneering (WWCA) in Mason City, Iowa and following in my family’s footsteps in becoming a fifth generation auctioneer!

What scares you most about traveling? The one thing that really scares me about traveling is not knowing where we are going. I would have to say the fear of the unknown is what really scares me the most.

What excites you most about traveling? What really excites me the most about traveling is getting to see the world! I travel a little for work, but nothing like this Race has to offer! I can't wait to see what the world really has to offer! I can't wait to see what the world is like out of Missouri!

What qualities do you hope your partner has? I hope my partner is good at decision making, has a good sense of direction and doesn't have a weak personality. I like to joke and have fun! What fun is it if you get paired up with a stick in the mud? I like someone who is outgoing and isn't afraid to get dirty or break a nail!

What qualities will be hard for you to put up with in a partner? Some of the qualities that would make it hard for me to deal with in a partner would be if we both think we are right about directions and we end up fighting over it. I'm not a big fighter, but when I know I'm right about something I stick to my guns and don't back down! I have a big personality and I hope they do too! I don't want to be paired up with someone who is afraid to get dirty or can't keep up with the pace of the race.

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? I think that the biggest challenge we will face as a team would be directions in a foreign country. I have never been out of the country and I don't know what to expect! Also, I hope they don't have a hard time keeping up with me because sometimes it’s like trying to catch a tiger by the tail!

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? The one country that I would want to visit is Italy! It has been on my bucket list to eat a plate of real Italian spaghetti there!

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Aside from winning The Race, I want to gain a new respect for what I take for granted every day. Being able to wake up and do what you love is a gift that too many of us take for granted. You have to live every day like it’s your last! I can only imagine what the show has in store for all of us so BRING IT ON! I can't wait to share this experience with the cast this season!

Follow on Twitter: @Liz_Espey
Follow on Instagram: @col.liz.espey
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:07:26 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 29: Liz Espey
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Meet Liz Espey From The Amazing Race Season 29

Watch auctioneer Liz Espey discuss her unique career, why The Amazing Race is for her, and what one trait she's looking for in her ideal Race partner.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hG7_9m5JkM8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hG7_9m5JkM8</a>

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Here's an article about Liz from her hometown newspaper.

http://nodawaynews.com/amazing-liz-makes-tv-debut

‘Amazing’ Liz makes TV debut

This Week's NewsMarch 24, 2017, 3 days ago

What started out as a simple Instagram post of her dog, Trixie, became a life-changing experience for 25-year-old Liz Espey, Maryville.

THE AMAZING RACE returns this season with a race unlike any before. In a brand new twist, all 22 Racers are complete strangers who will meet on the starting line. Before “GO,” Racers will immediately compete in a challenge that will determine the order for picking a Teammate, based on nothing but first impressions. These new pairs of Teammates will then have mere moments to learn their traveling companion’s name before beginning a race around the world that will span 9 countries, 17 cities and 36,000 miles. The new season of the 10-time Emmy Award-winning series premieres on a new date and time, Thursday, March 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

It was in February 2016 when she received a call asking if she would consider appearing on the CBS television show “The Amazing Race.”

“I thought it was a joke or maybe a scam, so I hung up,” said Espey.

But after another phone call, she decided it was legitimate and to say she was thrilled is an understatement.

“Believe it or not, to appear on “The Amazing Race” has been on my bucket list since I was 10 years old,” Espey said. “My dad brought that memory up when he heard about my plans.”

She noted that the odds of getting on the show were similar to winning the lottery times 10.

Espey, who had never been out of the US or seen the ocean before this, will appear on the new season of “The Amazing Race,” which premieres at 9 pm, Thursday, March 30. The Maryville High School graduate prepared for the six-week filming regiment working out with weights; she was able to bench 125 pounds and dead-lift 175 pounds by the time the show filmed. She swam and swam. She freshened her skills on driving a stick shift vehicle and she watched the previous seasons of the reality television show to get a better idea of what might be in store for her.

“I packed a 45-pound bag with 30 pairs of socks, boots, gym shoes, boat shoes, heavy coats, jackets and long underwear,” Espey said about the beginning of June through mid-July journey.

She had no idea what countries or climates she would be in during the race.

“I was hoping for Italy,” Espey said, but because of the strict rules about interviews before the show’s debut, she couldn’t say if her hopes were realized.

She was able to relay the show was “really hard. It tested every amount of mental strain, emotional and physical strength. No down time. It was like 10 miles a day, every day.”

However, she also said, “I’d do it again in a heart beat. It was a once in a lifetime experience. You just can’t buy a trip like this.”

She plans on watching the premiere with her family and then have a party at Boudreaux’s Louisiana Seafood and Steaks, St. Joseph, later during the show’s run.

Espey graduated from the College of Auctioneering, Mason City, IA, after attending Northwest Missouri State for three years. She is the daughter of Steve Espey and Anita Younger and has one sister, Maria, who is a Maryville High School senior. Maria also stays busy as a cattle and sheep show-fitter and earned the championship showman at the 2016 Missouri State Fair 4-H sheep show.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
oh my....

“I packed a 45-pound bag with 30 pairs of socks, boots, gym shoes, boat shoes, heavy coats, jackets and long underwear,” Espey said
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Really bad move! :lol:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
30 pairs of socks!? :funny: I know Kevin was looking for a partner who has a lot of socks because he didn't bring any. :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
Hope she dumped the boots, why bring something you can't run in?.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:00:58 AM »
Nice Interview!

http://www.stjoechannel.com/story/35260024/amazing-auctioneer-espey-lives-out-reality-tv-dream

"Amazing" Auctioneer: Espey makes reality TV dream come true

MARYVILLE, Mo.-

Maryville native Liz Espey is an auctioneer by day and a reality television star by night.

"It took me a while because I thought it was a dream," Espey said.

Espey's childhood ambition of becoming a contestant on CBS' Amazing Race became a reality and she's traveled the world, seeing amazing places along the way."

"Up in Norway, we had a clue that was like, 'who wants to set a world record and Mike looks at me and says that would be you and he gives me the clue,' Espey said. "I had to climb like a 15-story pallet. Norway was celebrating it's summer solstice and they were building the world's largest bonfire."

She's a reality television star, world record holder, and around northwest Missouri, she is "Liz Espey Auctions: Licensed Auctioneer."

"I sold my first item when I was 6-years-old," Espey said.

More at link
RFF's Golden Rule: