Author Topic: What International TAR do you think is the BEST now?  (Read 13159 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
What International TAR do you think is the BEST now?
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
Yay! TARA and TARCh are probably the best TARs in the world today  :conf:

Disagree strongly on TARCh, but that's for another thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: What International TAR do you think is the BEST now?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
I would have to say either TAR Canada or TAR Asia. Not sure on which one is better!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
Israel. Case closed ;)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
In 2016, I think The Amazing Race Asia 5 was the best TAR overall with TAR China 3 a very close 2nd.

TARA5 edges TARCh3 mainly on it having the more traditional format (as well as excitement at it rising from the dead).  But both basically had the same qualities: Great teams, great competition, great Legs/Leg design, great tasks and great editing. Locations too! 

TAR China's Leg design especially, even with the atypical format, was amazing and definitely better than most contemporary US TARs.  And another positive for TAR China was that I don't even understand Chinese, yet I enjoyed every minute of the season.  I definitely could not say that for its first 2 seasons.

TAR Canada 4 was better overall than 2 and 3, but it wasn't "great" with the same old (borderline xenophobic) problems plaguing that franchise.  Not to mention uninspired tasks and lack of parity and competition among teams.

Offline mittyzam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
TAR Canada is the best.
And TAR Israel is second. Because its interesting tasks and cast.
I Disagree on TAR China. Because its celebrity edition and disorderly penalty rules.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
In 2016, I think The Amazing Race Asia 5 was the best TAR overall with TAR China 3 a very close 2nd.

TARA5 edges TARCh3 mainly on it having the more traditional format (as well as excitement at it rising from the dead).  But both basically had the same qualities: Great teams, great competition, great Legs/Leg design, great tasks and great editing. Locations too! 

TAR China's Leg design especially, even with the atypical format, was amazing and definitely better than most contemporary US TARs.  And another positive for TAR China was that I don't even understand Chinese, yet I enjoyed every minute of the season.  I definitely could not say that for its first 2 seasons.

TAR Canada 4 was better overall than 2 and 3, but it wasn't "great" with the same old (borderline xenophobic) problems plaguing that franchise.  Not to mention uninspired tasks and lack of parity and competition among teams.

How is Tar Canada xenophobic?

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
:groan: So its okay for TAR China to have multiple legs of recycled tasks, but for Canada to have unique tasks throughout is deemed 'uninspired'??
"Unique" or "new" doesn't automatically mean good. TAR Canada literally made garbage as a penultimate Leg task, for example.  At least TAR China took recycled or typical TAR tasks like bungee jumping for one example (or many) and tweaked it to make it more exciting and fresh and not some kind of linear, processional tasks inconsequential to team placements.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

There's a difference between pride in one's country and xenophobia/extreme nationalism. TAR Canada leans towards the latter.
“You don’t need to travel somewhere else!”
”It’s… better getting to explore our own country.”
Aside from the fans getting upset at international travel, TAR Canada suffocates itself with its need to promote the country at every possible moment, even when not in Canada. 2 seasons is okay, 4 seasons of it is too much.  That's not really what The Amazing Race should be about.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »

There's a difference between pride in one's country and xenophobia/extreme nationalism. TAR Canada leans towards the latter.
“You don’t need to travel somewhere else!”
”It’s… better getting to explore our own country.”
Aside from the fans getting upset at international travel, TAR Canada suffocates itself with its need to promote the country at every possible moment, even when not in Canada. 2 seasons is okay, 4 seasons of it is too much.  That's not really what The Amazing Race should be about.

That's not xenophobic. I think it can be a bit too patriotic, but then again us brits make fun of them for their over patriotism.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »
I'm from Canada and I agree with DryedMangoez. Four seasons is enough. There's nowhere left to go in Canada. Time to go abroad.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
I have only seen TARCan, TARAus, and TARA season 5.

I think TARCan is good but the seasons start to blend together because of how Canada heavy it is, but I usually enjoy watching them. Even though it is mostly Canada, the tasks are usually great! I would love to see more abroad, but if budget constraints/sponsors do not like going abroad, I still will enjoy them!

I watched TARA5 and that season was great and I enjoyed it a lot.

Of what I have seen, I would still say that TARAus was/is the best franchise. I feel like every season was phenomenal and very entertaining! TARAus2 in my opinion is the best TAR series in all International versions (including US). I wish they were more easily accessible, so that I could rewatch them. I feel like every season they have made has been great!

Random question, is TARChina in English? (Not sure where to ask, sorry to go off topic)

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
I'm from Canada and I agree with DryedMangoez. Four seasons is enough. There's nowhere left to go in Canada. Time to go abroad.

For every leg?

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
Tarcan3 where they LITERALLY went to a dump and a gas station but it still made headlines of it "showcasing our beautiful city" :lol:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 02:50:49 AM »

For every leg?

Absolutely, otherwise it's just not worth it in my opinion. When I first heard of TAR Canada, I was expecting something like TAR Australia. I was very, very disappointed.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 04:37:31 AM »
I have loved the TAR Canada seasons. I have loved seeing places in Canada totally new to me. In most cases I loved the teams.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Drake

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
Agree with georgiapeach. I have watched two season of Canadian version (s 1 and 4) and for me it was better than TAR 25-28. Canada is  beautiful country and the tasks are great. I really liked the Cuban leg and twists like The Face-Off.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »
I  hate the Face Off.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
I hate the Face Off.

So do I. It's feels like TAR isn't 'real' with this twist

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »
The idea of the Face-Off isn't what pisses me off, it's Canada pretending they "invented" the twist and TARCAN always using sports for the task :res:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
The idea of the Face-Off isn't what pisses me off, it's Canada pretending they "invented" the twist and TARCAN always using sports for the task :res:

Can you show us where they pretended they invented it please?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »

Can you show us where they pretended they invented it please?

Article was deleted but here: http://web.archive.org/web/20150709231108/http://theamazingracecanada.ctv.ca/news/exotic-new-places-a-raptors-tie-in-and-a-game-chan

In a “Face Off” teams will go head to head in a challenge and can’t leave until they’ve successfully beat another team. The last team there will also have to serve a pre-determined penalty before they get to move on.

“It has the potential to dramatically shake up the positioning in the ‘Race’ more so than I think other challenges because you can sloppily get your way through something but if you lose this one, you’re sticking around until the next team shows up," says Montgomery.

The challenge is an “Amazing Race” first and exclusive to the Canadian edition.

“We invented it, ‘The Face Off.’ Of course we put a hockey spin on it,” he adds with a laugh.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
So that was 2015.When/where  was it used before that?? I really don't keep tabs...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
Canada
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
So that was 2015.When/where  was it used before that?? I really don't keep tabs...

HaMerotz LaMillion had the Double Battle since S2 so 2012 I think?
fwiw the Double Battle was -also- better since the tasks weren't just sport related :angel

Offline Alenaveda

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »
TARLA has also a similar confrontation during the fourth leg (Colombia) of the second season, in 2010. Although officially was an Intersection, teams had to play a voleyball match one against the other, where the losers has to keep playing until beating another team and the one who lost the last match also had to serve a time penalty (15 minutes) before receiving the next clue.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez