Author Topic: TAR Canada 4 Ep 8 "I Just Wanna Win" Havana, Cuba 8/23  (Read 5395 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:53:59 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Canada 4 Ep 8 (?) (Title TBD) Havanna, Cuba 8/23(?)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »
No posting except for Oval please
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:17 AM »
Leg 8: Kingston, Ontario → Havana, Cuba

FILM DATES:May 16-17
AIR DATE:Unknown

ROUTE INFO:Fly to Havana, Cuba

FLIGHTS:YVR → HAV

PIT STOP:Unknown

:yes:  SAFE:

?  AT RISK:None

X  ELIMINATED:     
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:56:08 PM by ovalorange »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
No posting except for Alen please
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
Preview!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/buqlFkgQF4Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/buqlFkgQF4Y</a>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:55:35 AM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:17:31 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
Caps!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:20:12 PM by Alenaveda »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
Title is already up - "I Just Wanna Win"
http://www.bierdopje.com/shows/the-amazing-race-canada/episode/S04E08

Pretty sure it's the episode proper, Steph or Kristen said this at the end of the preview, whichever one had the accident.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »
Lol another S&K quote.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR Canada 4 Ep 8 "I Just Wanna Win" Havanna, Cuba 8/23
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Preview and caps are up!

Offline TheBayAreaGuy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Looking forward to this episode! Cuba should be a lot of fun like it was on TAR Australia 2

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
I hope they have to drive those 1950's clunkers like Australia :P

Actually, wasn't there a sighting showing some lined up?

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:33:53 PM »
Another task! There is a different sneak peek clip on the CTV site.

The Roadblock is at a workshop, and they seem to have to assemble something. I don't know what, it looks like some kind of small cylindrical motor. Steph and Emmett do it.

Steph is already hurt (which places it after the Detour) and Emmett is refusing to help because he's still sore over the U-Turn.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
I just noticed Havana is spelled wrong :funny:
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
Knowing this is a certain NEL, with the Face Off I'm expecting either Frankie & Amy or Rita & Yvette to be last.

They are the weakest teams left. The ones who usually lose Double Battles in other versions.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Canada 4 Ep 8 "I Just Wanna Win" Havana, Cuba 8/23
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »
 :spell
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 08:13:50 PM »
Another great article that tells us more about the tasks and pretty much all the locations :D

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/television/amazing+race+canada+takes+cuba/12138600/story.html

The Amazing Race Canada takes on Cuba

Melissa Hank, Postmedia News  08.19.2016

On second thought, maybe picking up the machete was a bad idea.

Steph Leclair’s mind races as she holds the knife mid-air, eyeing the sugar cane that jams up her grinder. That 10-foot-long stalk and its juice are the only things stopping her and teammate Kristen Mckenzie from catching up with their rivals in the Cuban leg of The Amazing Race Canada.

The detour challenge at the Museo del Ron Havana Club seems simple: grind enough sugar cane extract to fill a vat, mix it with orange juice for a twist on the traditional Cuban drink guarapo and deliver it to the locals at a café in Old Havana.

And right now, Jillian Maclaughlin and Emmett Blois are well ahead. So Leclair hacks through the sugar cane stalk — and into two of her fingers.

“I knew it was a bad idea. I was like, ‘No, no, no!’” says Mckenzie. “We were too frantic to be handling that kind of equipment. I knew it was going to go really, really wrong. And two seconds later, it went really, really wrong.”

In a blur of blood and bellowing, a medic tends to Leclair’s wounds while Mckenzie sweats through the rest of the challenge alone. The two then rush off, trying to make up ground.

Anything can happen four seasons into The Amazing Race Canada, and filming the eighth episode in Cuba is no different. It’s 33 C outside, and humid enough to stick a shirt to your back in 10 minutes flat.

Havana itself is peeling and cracking and crumbling and exposed, yet still proud. Two million people strong, it’s a city bathed in neons and pastels. The women strut with strappy dresses and knowing glances. The men amble in T-shirts, linen shirts or no shirts at all.

Midcentury American cars growl through the streets, but it’s the Canadian production of The Amazing Race that’s made it here first in the television franchise — a fact showrunner Mark Lysakowski beams about.

“We’re seeing something completely new. Viewers see new things when we do things in Canada, but when we go international and the Americans have been there before, there is a frame of reference. But now we’re getting there first, which is really great,” he says.

Three episodes ago, the teams perspired their way through Vietnam. Across the Canadian map, they’ve stuck push-pins into cities such as Yellowknife, Calgary and Prince Rupert, B.C. Kilometre by kilometre, the prize is ever closer: a round-the-world trip for two, a new Chevrolet and $250,000 cash.

“This season is big. A lot of big challenges, a lot of drama,” says Lysakowski. “There’s a lot of gameplay. As the show lives its life in Canada, the racers are getting smarter and being more strategic.”

With wins in the previous three legs of the race, Leclair and Mckenzie have cause to be confident — hacked fingers notwithstanding. The couple, in their 20s and dating, are former provincial-level softball players from Toronto.

But at their next challenge — a beach volleyball game at Playas de Este, the first Face Off of the season — Leclair’s hand is throbbing and the sweat index is rising. The team they’re up against is ready to pound through a win.

“If I had had all 10 digits at that point, I would’ve been thrilled to play. But my finger was so messed up, I just felt sick to my stomach. Kristen pretty much had to win by herself,” says Leclair.

With hot sand underfoot, the game starts. Best of three advances the winners to the next stop. The losers stay behind and play the next team to arrive. Serve, bump, volley, dive.

“Up and over!”

“Honey, I thought you had it!”

“Can I get some antiseptic for my hand?”

Twenty-five minutes later, the match is done and Mckenzie is hunched over, hands on knees and dripping wet.

“The volleyball game was great — Face Off challenges are unique to the Canadian show,” says Lysakowski. “(Leclair’s injury) added a new storyline, a new texture. You can only plan so much and then you have to let the television gods do their thing.”

Executing season after season of The Amazing Race Canada is like riding a high-stakes merry-go-round, with crew jetting around the world, operating mountains of technical equipment and editing hundreds of hours of footage for broadcast before they do it all again.

“It’s a massive undertaking, from planning the route to scouting, to prepping it, to editing it, to promoting it, to executing all the different partner opportunities, to doing the promotion. Thousands of people work on this show each season,” says Lysakowski.

Here in Havana, just over halfway through the month or so of filming, producers have prepped the challenge locations the day before and crew members keep track of each other via a mobile messaging app. They’ve become so close that one photographer is shooting another crew member’s upcoming wedding.

As the sun starts drooping, seemingly grown tired in its own heat, the remaining five teams are scattered across Havana working challenges. Locals dodge bicycle taxis in the streets as reggaeton music jumps and shimmies on the air.

Already, the teams have found a replica of the Bluenose schooner at the Castillo de la Real Fuerza, learned salsa at the Plaza Vieja, worked the telescopic lens of the Camera Obscura, visited Ernest Hemingway’s room at the Ambos Mundo Hotel and made gaskets out of tires at Pedrito’s Max Brakes.

The final stop is La Divina Pastora, a harbour-side restaurant where host Jon Montgomery is waiting on the Pit Stop mat. Team after team touches base, galloping and gasping for air.

After they tag in, Leclair and Mckenzie take time to recuperate. “We went back to the hotel, showered forever, got Steph’s finger taken care of and sat on the balcony,” says Mckenzie.

The crew members, too, have a respite. Some will stay another day, some fly ahead to the next stop, some catch an 8 a.m. flight back to Toronto.

“(There’ve been) some great stories this season, but we’ve got more coming,” says Lysakowski.

“It gets even more competitive. We’ve got deception, racers playing with each other, mind games, people wanting to win at all costs. People always say it’s not the Canadian thing to do. But the gloves are off and these guys will do what it takes. This is a big prize. It’s a big title. And people want to win it.”

The Amazing Race Canada airs Tuesdays on CTV/CTV Go

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »

:groan:   Seems a waste to have a Face-Off on a NEL...
RFF's Golden Rule: