Author Topic: Australian Survivor 2016  (Read 23117 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Australian Survivor 2016
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 06:02:53 AM »
According to an RFFer I've talked to it's actually okay.

If they (Ten) wanted it to die, they would have dumped the show to 9:00 onwards. Keeping it in a prime slot (7:30) is good for the show's chances because they really want it to succeed (Ten).

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 06:08:14 AM »
I actually now don't like three days a week. I think maybe it might be too much and people will get sick of it.
Yeah I'm thinking the same as well.

Speaking of ratings, the premiere was watched by 784k viewers (5th-6th overnight), while 734k (14th overnight) tuned into the second show. I don't know anything about Australian TV ratings, so can anyone tell me how good/bad this is?

I'm an Aussie and I have NO IDEA!

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 07:00:53 AM »
Those ratings are pretty average honestly. For premieres in Australia you're looking to get over the magic million mark (both The Block and 7's Zumbo's desserts both managed to do that). So in that sense, it's not doing too well.

I wouldn't worry though. There has been mass hype for Survivor in the lead up to the premiere and feedback from the public has been positive. Zumbo's show was apparently trash, so expect that to die off in the next few weeks. It's main competition will be The Block, probably why they've added in the Tuesday show to go head to head with it.

Gamer's right, if they thought we were doing **** it'd be dumped to a later timeslot, not given an extra episode at 7.30.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
http://www.popsugar.com.au/celebrity/Jonathan-LaPaglia-Interview-About-Australian-Survivor-2016-42265785

We're also tapped for 26 episodes.

PS: How did you find filming? It sounded like a looong shoot.

JL: The contestants were there for 55 days and I was on the island for 68. It was unbelievably tough. I really was not prepared for it at all! Our schedule is even tougher than the American one. They're 39 days, we're 55 days. They've got about 13 episodes, and we've got 26 episodes. We're double the number of episodes but not double the amount of time so that means that our schedule was more compressed than the US one. The US one is about a three-day cycle to shoot an episode, and we're a two-day cycle to shoot an episode. Every second night we were back at tribal council . . . it became brutal and exhausting.

That means with the current schedule, we're gonna end by October the 18th.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
I actually now don't like three days a week. I think maybe it might be too much and people will get sick of it.
Yeah I'm thinking the same as well.

Speaking of ratings, the premiere was watched by 784k viewers (5th-6th overnight), while 734k (14th overnight) tuned into the second show. I don't know anything about Australian TV ratings, so can anyone tell me how good/bad this is?

I'm an Aussie and I have NO IDEA!

So why reply with that?  :groan:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Those ratings are pretty average honestly. For premieres in Australia you're looking to get over the magic million mark (both The Block and 7's Zumbo's desserts both managed to do that). So in that sense, it's not doing too well.

I wouldn't worry though. There has been mass hype for Survivor in the lead up to the premiere and feedback from the public has been positive. Zumbo's show was apparently trash, so expect that to die off in the next few weeks. It's main competition will be The Block, probably why they've added in the Tuesday show to go head to head with it.

Gamer's right, if they thought we were doing **** it'd be dumped to a later timeslot, not given an extra episode at 7.30.

Surely, Survivor is beating Zumbo's Just Desserts...

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »

It's not. Google it.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »

It's not. Google it.

Wow...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »
is it one hour each night?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
is it one hour each night?

The first episode (last Sunday) went for 1hr 45min (I think) and Monday went 1hr 20min. This Sunday, It's 7:30-9:10, Monday night it's 7:30pm-8:40pm and on Tuesday, it's 7:30pm-9:10pm

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Episode one was 1hr 19min, and the second one was 55min.
I'm talking about actual episode length here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »
That is a LOT of Survivor every week!! Seems a very odd marketing decision...too much IMO.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:45 AM »
I also just heard that's there's going to be Tribal Council EVERY night. Are they trying to hurry the show up, due to poor ratings....

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
I also just heard that's there's going to be Tribal Council EVERY night. Are they trying to hurry the show up, due to poor ratings....
My belief in the reason behind the move is because Ten's Tuseday line up sucks. The previous 7:30pm shows (a Modern Family repeat + Life in Pieces) were both well below 500k in the past few weeks and the shows following them (NCIS, I think) don't get good ratings as a result.  While Aus Survivor is doing ok (mid/high 700k) so they are putting it there to prop up their Tuesdays.

Also that Zumbo crap is doing crap. It might of started above the "magic million" (because 7 had a trillion promos for it during their Olympic coverage) but between Ep1 and Ep3 is shred almost 25% of its viewers. That is hardily healthy for a show and I expect it to go further down the tubes in the coming weeks, hopfully in Survivor's favour.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:11:25 AM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
Is it (AS) doing better than The Block? (I hope so. I can't STAND the show!)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 06:39:42 AM »
Not currently but given he good reception from Aus Survivor, I am hopeful that people hear about how good Aus Survivor is from word of mouth and move away from the crap that is The Block.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 06:48:40 AM »
Not currently but given he good reception from Aus Survivor, I am hopeful that people hear about how good Aus Survivor is from word of mouth and move away from the crap that is The Block.

I totally agree!

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2016, 07:24:03 AM »
Still enjoying the show but I personally feel it's drawn out too much. That's par for the course for Australian reality shows though.

By the way, if you want to watch but you're outside Australia, the Hola extension for Google Chrome may work for you if you want to watch on the official website. Otherwise online sites such as Watch Series have the episodes.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
it was cancel does that mean no more shows

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
What?