Author Topic: TAR Canada 5 Pre-Race News and Speculation  (Read 36967 times)

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
Re: TAR Canada 5 Pre-Race News and Speculation
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
I forget who the posts were from but isn't Delta relatively close to Vancouver?

Yes. No reason to go set up in both.
Frankie and Amy were from Aldergrove, BC....which is prob just a tad closer to Delta than YVR.
Do you remember which production members went to each?

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »
Mike Bickerton ‏@mikebickerton  1h1 hour ago
#AmazingRaceCanada scoop: two of the best cities for casting interviews so far this yr have been Saskatoon & Montréal. Such exciting teams!

Yay for a team from Quebec and FINALLY a team from Saskatchewan!!

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
Mike Bickerton ‏@mikebickerton  1h1 hour ago
#AmazingRaceCanada scoop: two of the best cities for casting interviews so far this yr have been Saskatoon & Montréal. Such exciting teams!

Yay for a team from Quebec and FINALLY a team from Saskatchewan!!

My thoughts exactly.
Some of the most entertaining teams have been from Montreal. YAY.
Remember when people complained about no Saskatchewan teams, and it was pointed out that if there were good applicants they would be cast? Maybe it was true and people stepped up to apply.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Anyone thinking that Hayley Wickenheiser will be a contestant this season now that she is retired?  I hope not, as I am personally not a fan of celebs/semi-celebs being on shows. Leave those slots for us little people.  My sister made that prediction and I could see that happening. 

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
She retired so she didn't delay entering medical school anymore. I doubt she would retire and jump into the race a few months later. Plus she gave up the Olympics next year to go to school...

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
True but don't most med schools start in September? 

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
Anyone thinking that Hayley Wickenheiser will be a contestant this season now that she is retired?  I hope not, as I am personally not a fan of celebs/semi-celebs being on shows. Leave those slots for us little people.  My sister made that prediction and I could see that happening.

They already had a women's hockey team with S2's Nat and Meg... do we think they would go that route again? I think if anything, they would try for a male player... didn't Storey send out one of his random tweets to Lindros last fall? I seem to remember.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
Yes, I though about the S2 Olympic women but come on, this is Hayley Wickenheiser, aka hockey royalty.  I could see them try for an NHLer.   Like I said earlier however, I hope I am wrong as I prefer seeing people who haven't yet had their 15 minutes of fame.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
Again, I don't care for stunt-casting as long as its done right. Jillian & Emmett and Julie & Lowell were stuntcasts for 4 but both were utterly phenomenal teams that fired on all cylinders. And let's not forget the amazing Vanessa Morgan (and Body Break!) for 1.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Per Twitter and IG, they are now done with the Toronto callbacks... I guess this is it for part 1 of the interviews!!  :conf:

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:17 AM »
This could be old news, however The Amazing Race Canada has been nominated for 7 Canadian Screen Awards!

Offline khan kna

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
I don't mind if they stay in Canada but I hope they do leave country at least once. I'm hoping they go to Europe. My picks would be the Uk, Italy, Spain, Norway or the Czech Republic .

Try to find out a Canadian connection to each of those!

Well Leafsfan, the UK did colonize Canada, so TARC 5 should visit the UK for 2 legs!  :)

I think Leafs, who is:

A. Canadian
B. a major in Geography

knows this already. :)

And what on earth is the correlation with colonization and two legs?

what an edgy reply

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
I don't mind if they stay in Canada but I hope they do leave country at least once. I'm hoping they go to Europe. My picks would be the Uk, Italy, Spain, Norway or the Czech Republic .

Try to find out a Canadian connection to each of those!

Well Leafsfan, the UK did colonize Canada, so TARC 5 should visit the UK for 2 legs!  :)

I think Leafs, who is:

A. Canadian
B. a major in Geography

knows this already. :)

And what on earth is the correlation with colonization and two legs?

what an edgy reply

Mark Lysakowski has stated that the show won't go to the UK due to budget constraints/exchange rates.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
In season 2 they went east and west (China and France).  In seasons 3 and 4 they went south and east (Chile/Argentina & Cuba and India & Vietnam). Given the current state of the Canadian dollar, I cannot see them returning to Europe.  I suspect it will be another season of south and east. I suspect geopolitics/economics will deter them from the Middle East, America, Russia, and North Africa.  I wonder if Jamaica will be the "southern" leg and Singapore is the "eastern" leg.  At least if there was a guessing pool, those would be my guesses. And if there is a European leg, I would go with the Czech Republic.

New game?  Guess the legs?   One east, one west and one south?

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
A response to a person on Twitter on Nov. 29, 2016 about going to the U.K.  Basically said the pound is too steep. 

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
That all but kills a full international season, because 8-9 more international legs would be more expensive than just a couple UK legs.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
Quote from: khan kna link=topic=32367.msg1186641#msg1186641 date=1484837108
what an edgy reply
[/quote

:wel2 :bigwelcome :welcome2: to RFF, khan kna!

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »
Do we really believe this about the U.K.? Could it be a red herring? A few arguments:

A U.K. leg could be later in the race with fewer teams.
Depends on sponsors - Hotels.com, Air Canada (?) or another airline, or other new sponsors.
There are more budget friendly options for accommodations - AirBnB, Home Away or similar. The National Trust (UK) also has very inexpensive places.
In Canada, there are various film grants available. For instance, The Bell Fund. Big Brother Canada received a grant from them last season, so it's not out of the question.

Of course there are a tremendous number of incidental costs involved in production of this show, but I think if they really wanted to go, they could.
Mark is usually very tight-lipped about this kind of info. Why would he reply to this comment?
Also, the casting team just returned from their little tour. Some of the places they stayed did not exactly look budget-friendly. Just saying.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:23:44 PM by WindsorSue »

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
Hotels.com gave out a trip to London on Leg 1 of Season 4...

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
Hotels.com gave out a trip to London on Leg 1 of Season 4...

It's a very popular destination, for Canadians as well as the rest of world. I would find it very hard to believe sponsors wouldn't be all over that.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
That all but kills a full international season, because 8-9 more international legs would be more expensive than just a couple UK legs.

Do you guys think Australia or New Zealand are out of the picture?
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »

Do you guys think Australia or New Zealand are out of the picture?

Hopefully not. However, if they only have 2 legs to go international, i wouldn't think they would go many hours away. They should go to America or Mexico. That would make more sense.

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
I was thinking that for Canada's 150th anniversary, they would only go to international location that have a deep connection to Canada... I'm shock they never visited the UK yet, I mean the confederation of Canada was accepted by the Queen in London, that would have been a good time to visit the city (and the building in which it was signed)... Maybe a visit to Ireland, with all the Irish people who immigrated in Canada in the early days of our country.

And the US would make sense... like in New-England or places where we hd battles against the US

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
I was thinking that for Canada's 150th anniversary, they would only go to international location that have a deep connection to Canada... I'm shock they never visited the UK yet, I mean the confederation of Canada was accepted by the Queen in London, that would have been a good time to visit the city (and the building in which it was signed)... Maybe a visit to Ireland, with all the Irish people who immigrated in Canada in the early days of our country.

And the US would make sense... like in New-England or places where we hd battles against the US

I highly doubt they will visit the United States. About 75% of all Canadians live within 100 miles of the border, and as such many have been there. The Canadian audience would not find the U.S. to be an exciting place to visit. The only place I can even remotely see is Hawaii, and even then tasks would most likely center around the native Hawaiian culture.
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline trixie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »

I highly doubt they will visit the United States. About 75% of all Canadians live within 100 miles of the border, and as such many have been there. The Canadian audience would not find the U.S. to be an exciting place to visit. The only place I can even remotely see is Hawaii, and even then tasks would most likely center around the native Hawaiian culture.

Unfortunately, with the US muslim ban, there could be issues for some of the contestants as well.