Author Topic: TAR Canada 5 Pre-Race News and Speculation  (Read 36966 times)

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR Canada 5 Pre-Race News and Speculation
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
... and they just landed in Halifax. LOL

The casting crew need a NORAD tracker like Santa has.  LOL

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »
Wow, they are really doing interviews all over canada!

Pre-Christmas:
- Vancouver
- Calgary
- Regina
- Saskatoon
- Parts of Ontario

Now:
- St-John's
- Halifax

I'm sure they will do one in Montréal and maybe Ottawa?
Maybe one in New-Brunswick?
And Toronto if it's not already done

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

Pre-Christmas:
- Vancouver
- Calgary
- Regina
- Saskatoon
- Parts of Ontario

Now:
- St-John's
- Halifax

And then what? Filming?

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »

Pre-Christmas:
- Vancouver
- Calgary
- Regina
- Saskatoon
- Parts of Ontario

Now:
- St-John's
- Halifax

And then what? Filming?

Next round of casting. Decisions, decisions, decisions. And then they will get these teams in for more interviews, etc. More decisions. Some teams are even cut going into sequester.
Filming doesn't start til end of April/beginning of May.
And just a reminder: 1 or 2 weeks before filming begins, we MAY see people on SM reporting they just saw filming - mostly in Toronto & area. In past years this has been crew training. But it's a sure sign they are about to start!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:26:20 AM by WindsorSue »

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »

Pre-Christmas:
- Vancouver
- Calgary
- Regina
- Saskatoon
- Parts of Ontario

Now:
- St-John's
- Halifax

And then what? Filming?

Next round of casting. Decisions, decisions, decisions. And then they will get these teams in for more interviews, etc. More decisions. Some teams are even cut going into sequester.
Filming doesn't start til end of April/beginning of May.
And just a reminder: 1 or 2 weeks before filming begins, we MAY see people on SM reporting they just saw filming - mostly in Toronto & area. In past years this has been crew training. But it's a sure sign they are about to start!!!

Yes. Frankie (from Tarc4 Frankie and Amy) said on a facebook live casting info video that for season 4, that she and Amy applied on the last day,they got a questionnaire a few days later (that they needed to answer and send back by email), then had a first interview a few weeks after, then another interview a month after, and then they were cast! So 1 questionnaire and two interviews for season 4! I'm guessing they are doing the first round of interviews now, then another round in february-march and then final casting in early april! Mile Bickerton said the racers knew at least 6 weeks in advance!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Saw this today...so sounds like they are moving to the next level. This is someone who clearly had already made it thru prelims.

Well, got word today that our application for Season 5 of The Amazing Race Canada is officially "dead". We are not moving forward in the casting process.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
Saw this today...so sounds like they are moving to the next level. This is someone who clearly had already made it thru prelims.

Well, got word today that our application for Season 5 of The Amazing Race Canada is officially "dead". We are not moving forward in the casting process.

Out of curiosity GeorgiaPeach, where did you see this?  I know the general applicants were told that decisions were already made.  I didn't know those that got to subsequent rounds were notified.  I am curious how the whole process takes place. I realize there is some need to be hush hush and I know that contestants are bound by lengthy fine print legal clauses about leaking details but I am just trying to understand the process in case I am ever fortunate enough to make it past simply auditioning.

I only ask because it seems odd that people would be finding out now with interviews seemingly still going on as we speak.  Was this someone from Western Canada or Newfoundland?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:19:06 PM by TheHippo »

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
I'm also interested to know Peach!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
Here are some ways the US Interviews go.

Apply online>>never contacted
Apply>>get a phone call expressing interest> phone "interview">>would be told thanks but no.
Ditto                                                                                      >>some have gotten a visit from low level casting

If they really like you get invited to semi-finals, you would of course be notified if you were to advance or not.

Some rare people went straight to finals.

So Being notified could be after a phone interview even.

And no sorry, not ID'ing the source.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
I do know of one team (let's just say a friend of a friend) who thought they were "in" for sure. They even went on SM saying they would be off the grid for a while. They went to Toronto and were cut last minute. I often think TPTB like to call in a few extras just to look at the cast all together - size them all up and analyze potential interaction. Or maybe they do that just in case another team pulls out last minute.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:06:01 PM by WindsorSue »

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
Wow that  must be hard to swallow!

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
I know in mid December they notified all who applied that those who were moving on had been notified (aka if you haven't been contacted, sorry about your luck).  I wonder if they notify (publicly or privately) those who moved on to the next stage but then go no further.  Would love it if they did and it was public so that us outsiders/diehard fans have an idea of the timing of the various stages for reference.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
Geez that would be bad luck. Hope your friend tries again for season 6 WindsorSue!

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
They are now in Montreal! (per Mike Bickerton's twitter)

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
They are now in Montreal! (per Mike Bickerton's twitter)

So do we think they've left Toronto till the end & it's next?
Or did the Cambridge interviews cover all of Ontario? Hmmn...maybe?

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »
Did NB and PEI get no love?   What about far north teams?   Hmmm.   I can only assume Toronto is last.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
Oops.  Forgot to add, doesn't Cambridge seem like an odd choice?  If doing SW Ontario, I would have assumed London would best cover the area and keep Toronto separate.  I assume eastern Ontario teams would be split between Montreal or Toronto.  And does Northern Ontario get left out?   Hmmm.

Strictly speculating of course but it would be nice to see 15 teams this year.  It would be a nice play on 150 by doing 15.  As well you could do one from each province and territory (13) plus one for northeen Ontario and a second team from southern Ontario.  I know this seems Ontario-centric but it would help balance out the Toronto population bias of having just one Ontario team. Of course BC AND Quebec could also have additional teams to balance out Vancouver and Montreal so perhaps that is considered too. Who knows.  I could drive myself mad with speculation and trying to figure out how the casting crew determines who to interview. 

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
I don't think it would have been necessary to set up interviews in each of the Maritime provinces. Halifax is an easy enough drive from NB & PEI. Newfoundland pretty much necessitated its own.
Right now I am starting to think Cambridge was used to deflect prying eyes away from Toronto. Relatively speaking, it's close enough to Toronto. Just my opinion. I guess we'll know in the next few days.
Applicants in northern areas would be asked to make their way to the nearest interview. And if there were any in Northern Ontario (for instance, Thunder Bay), they may actually be closer to Winnipeg than Toronto.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
I think these cities reflect the semifinalist interviews. So perhaps the contestant locations reflect the cities chosen.

Why don't y'all look at last season's cities visited and see if it matches up with the racers.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
I think these cities reflect the semifinalist interviews. So perhaps the contestant locations reflect the cities chosen.

Why don't y'all look at last season's cities visited and see if it matches up with the racers.

Do we know those cities? The only ones I was aware of (I thought) were the cities the casting producers visited on recruitment drives - before the application deadline. I only have a vague recollection of Jesse Storey being in Halifax NS & St. John's NL
Also, I am presuming at this point there are still too many applicants for the casting crew to be that precise???

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
This goes into speculation, but wouldn't it be a great idea to have a public starting line, like in S25 and S27.
Maybe in front of the Parliament in Ottawa, for Canada's 150th bday...with some Politicians, and maybe even PM Trudeau hahaha

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities. It's a great start line, and with all the spoilers that would appear on SM, they may as well make it public. I would just hope for 24 hr notice. Ottawa is a 7 hour drive for me (on a good day LOL), but I would be there with bells on.
I am in Ottawa. 

I could probably also see them in Montreal, if I knew in advance.  Even Toronto is a remote possibility.

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

So the interested fan in me took some time out to dig through Twitter posts from last year of Mike, Mike and Mark to see if there were similarities between where they were and where the contestants from S.4 were from.  It looks like on Dec. 10 they were in Delta BC, in Dec. 14 they were in Regina, Dec. 17 Toronto, Jan. 9 in Westmount, QC and Jan. 14 in Vancouver.  Of course some of these posts could simply be personal travel too. 

Also interesting, the racers weren't revealed to the staff at Insight until March 28 (Mike Bickerton's post).  Seems like they deliberate a LONG time on things.  Perhaps arranging background/health/visas/insurances/notifying employers/last minute changes/etc. 

If this is accurate and holds true again this year, I suspect that they will have completed their interviews by the end of this week and will begin the deliberations. 

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Just off the top of my head, Julie and Lowell are in Lethbridge Alberta. They would have had a long way to go.
It's also weird they went to Delta and Vancouver...maybe one of those locations was personal?

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
I forget who the posts were from but isn't Delta relatively close to Vancouver? 

Offline TheHippo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
Mike Bickerton ‏@mikebickerton  1h1 hour ago
#AmazingRaceCanada scoop: two of the best cities for casting interviews so far this yr have been Saskatoon & Montréal. Such exciting teams!

So.....looks like we know 2-3 of the team's home bases. LOL

I always argue they should see what the teams from Northern Ontario would bring!! ;)