Author Topic: TAR CANADA 4 CONTESTANTS - Kelly Xu & Kate Pan (Best Friends and Business Part.)  (Read 13543 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Kelly Xu & Kate Pan
(Best Friends and Business Partners)

Kelly Xu
Current City: Toronto
Hometown: Jiang Xi, China
Strengths: Fast learner, risk taker, and patient
Fears/Phobia: Ghosts and haunted houses
Favourite Travel Destination: Southeast Asia
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “She likes garlic in everything.”

Kate Pan
Current City: Toronto
Hometown: Shandong, China
Strengths: Easy going, go-getter, and optimistic 
Fears/Phobia: Heights, as well as fish/birdy animals
Favourite Travel Destination: “Anywhere sunny!”
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “She’s always on her phone.”
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:07:23 AM by Leafsfan »

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
ABOUT KELLY AND KATE
Kelly and Kate are close friends and business partners who share a love for fitness and competition. They both immigrated to Canada at 11 years old and have endured their fair share of challenges with language and culture.

But after meeting at the gym, Kelly and Kate took a big risk quitting their 9-to-5 jobs and seizing their entrepreneurial spirit to pursue a fitness business aimed at Toronto’s international Chinese students. They wanted to challenge the notion that Chinese women are frail, and instead encourage them to be fit; not just skinny. Their dream is to expand their business and launch a female fitness club. They will use "The Amazing Race Canada" winnings to fulfill their goal and empower women to live a healthier lifestyle.

Kelly and Kate grew up with strict, traditional Chinese families. Wanting to follow their fitness aspirations, the girls first had to confront their parents about deviating from the traditional job market, which proved to be a difficult. Ultimately their parents recognized their happiness was most important and supported their ambitions. “The general attitudes of immigrant parents towards their children are changing,” says Kelly. 

Kelly and Kate are the first female Asian team to compete on "The Amazing Race Canada" and are determined to represent strong independent women by going all the way!

FUN FACTS
Motto: “Fit Fun Fabulous!”
If you and your teammate were a pop duo, what would your name be? Kklicious
Walk on song: Hula Hoop – Omi
Team they most associate with from previous seasons: “None, because we are so unique!”
If you could be an animal what would you be?
Kelly: Sloth
Kate: Squirrel
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:19:52 AM by Leafsfan »

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
More team questions from their profile...

Kelly:
How did you train for the Race? - Ran with the backpack.

What’s in your backpack? - Hair straightener, false lashes, contacts, facial masks, makeup, clothing.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? - Have my own gym and clothing line.

Kate:
What’s in your backpack? - Too much stuff … clothing and all stuff a girl needs to look pretty.

How did you choose your team colour? - It’s so chic and energetic.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? - Have my own gym and clothing line.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Kelly's racer file is not working and will be edited in when it is (eventually)  :groan:

Pet Peeve about Teammate: “She likes garlic in everything.”  -  :funny:

And their bags are filled with makeup  :groan:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
Another team who wasn't born in Canada, like Simi & Ope last year :)

Really makes the cast more multicultural

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
KELLY XU & KATE PAN: Pound-for-pound, they predict they’ll be the best players in the race. How could they not be?

“We are small, we are sooo petite!” says Kelly after a sit-down in a holding room with the other teams.

“We are physically small, the other teams are bigger, and have bigger frames,” adds Kate, her partner in a Toronto fitness program for Chinese nationals and foreign students. “We may not have strength, but we have endurance from working out.”

And they had a novel mental preparation regimen. “We bought a bunch of things from IKEA to try to assemble them,” Kate says with a laugh.

If they turn out to be giant-killers, Kelly and Kate will be firsts on a couple of counts. “There haven’t been any Chinese in this race,” Kelly says. “We’re going to be the first. A big reason we entered, was to represent the Chinese community.

“And be the first girls to win the race!” Kate enthuses.

Source:http://www.lfpress.com/2016/06/24/the-amazing-race-canada-big-brother-canada-exes-mrs-universe-and-more-on-season-4

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
From first epi: These two also have potential, but I feel as though they were rushed in the first episode and made rash decisions (such as taking the penalty).

Their best ep 1 moment was when their raft started floating away. "Oh nonononono!" :lol:

I think we're going to get some great moments from these two.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
From first epi: These two also have potential, but I feel as though they were rushed in the first episode and made rash decisions (such as taking the penalty).

Their best ep 1 moment was when their raft started floating away. "Oh nonononono!" :lol:

If they can't park a raft, can they park a car? :funny:
Wait till there car goes down a hill and they say "Oh nonononono!" :funny:
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
I like those girls. They have Weibo (Chinese Twitter) accounts so that fans may communicate with them.

One of them was born in Shandong, the same place where I was born.

I have a question: Kate says in the racer files that her food of choice is PHO. What does PHO mean? ???

P.S. I saw those girls post a video clip on Weibo.com and talk to Chinese fans about the first episode (in Chinese). They mentioned that some fans abroad blamed them for giving up a challenge so hastily. They reiterated that they made this move after contemplation. They calculated that the time to get on the cable may probably offset the penalty time. By that time they were in the front and they believed that there must be some female teams that would fail the challenge or take the penalty. So they made the decision. They wanted to save the strength to compete in the latter part of the leg.

I personally think this was a good move. Had there been no bad weather, there might probably be some teams giving up as well.

Here is the video link with no English subtitles: http://weibo.com/p/230444aae8e7f05949a9a69ce52b31fb6be63b

They're quite funny in the video clip. "In Canada there're a lot of outdoor activities. But we don't like activities in winter... We prefer diving. We never took a raft. We looked so dumb in this episode because we forgot our raft. We were just too excited after seeing the cluebox. We even wanted to jeer at ourselves... Losing the raft cost us half an hour."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:54:31 AM by SuperTux »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster

I have a question: Kate says in the racer files that her food of choice is PHO. What does PHO mean? ???

It's a noodle and beef soup food, check Wikipedia.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster

It's a noodle and beef soup food, check Wikipedia.

Ah thanks. I got it. Vietnamese food... Maybe I'll try it someday.  :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
Phở

TAR 15: Poker Goddesses Speed Bump.

TAR 22: Maxie, Chynona Detour, Youtubers U-Turn.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster

If they can't park a raft, can they park a car? :funny:
Wait till there car goes down a hill and they say "Oh nonononono!" :funny:

According to Kevin & Drew, 15-min penalty (supposedly)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C4fM1LBV5s8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C4fM1LBV5s8</a>

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
They somehow remind me of the Bunnies (Nicky & Kim) in US Season 23, Both Kelly & Kate and Nicky & Kim finished in 9th place during the 2nd leg and come in 3rd in the 3rd leg after a flawless performance.  :conf:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:34:50 AM by TARUSAFan »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Them knowing Chinese gave them a huge advantage on the karaoke challenge
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
Irrelevant.  :funny:

They are the second all-female team win a leg of TAR Canada since Natalie & Meghan. What a surprise!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
That's.... like saying Chinese is the same for all Asian languages. Totally irrelevant.

Hell, I'm Chinese myself and I have a hard time speaking it! :lol:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
That's.... like saying Chinese is the same for all Asian languages. Totally irrelevant.

Hell, I'm Chinese myself and I have a hard time speaking it! :lol:

Knowing Chinese means they can distinguish and pronounce way more intonations and sounds than people who only know English
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member

They are the second all-female team win a leg of TAR Canada since Natalie & Meghan. What a surprise!
Pamela & Winnie also had a huge advantage task in Chess task detour in TAR 22 leg 5

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster

Pamela & Winnie also had a huge advantage task in Chess task detour in TAR 22 leg 5

Because of Chinese characters. This Karaoke is purely Vietnamese.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook

Because of Chinese characters. This Karaoke is purely Vietnamese.

That is why Vietnam used Chinese characters prior to the introduction of the Latin alphabet during the French colonial rule.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Who cares if it gave them an advantage look how freaking competitive they are when they don't take a penalty!!! 9 9 3 1 is hilariously amazing

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
Just watched this episode. I'm proud of them!
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
I absolutely LOVE them! I'm rooting for Kelly & Kate so hard. <3
Next week's task looks kinda difficult, I hope they survive.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses