Author Topic: TAR CANADA 4 CONTESTANTS - Julie & Lowell Taylor (Married couple)  (Read 40638 times)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
Julie & Lowell Taylor
(Married couple)

Julie Taylor

Current City: Lethbridge, Alta.
Hometown: Lethbridge, Alta.
Strengths: Outgoing, sense of humour, and napping
Fears/Phobia: Snakes
Favourite Travel Destination: New Zealand
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “When he steals my puns and gets a better reaction!”

Lowell Taylor

Current City: Lethbridge, Alta.
Hometown: Farm near Carstairs, Alta.
Strengths: Determination, sense of humour, and listening   
Fears/Phobia: Not being able to help his wife and kids because of his disability
Favourite Travel Destination: New Zealand
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “How she doubts her superpowers.”
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR CANADA 4 CONTESTANTS - Julie & Lowell Taylor (Married couple)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »
ABOUT JULIE AND LOWELL

Julie and Lowell are an enthusiastic and dynamic couple who persevere through obstacles every day. Lowell suffers from Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) and is legally blind. He has no peripheral vision, reduced central vision, and no vision in low light. Lowell has adjusted to decreasing sight his entire life, and has found passion in sports. He is currently training for Para-Triathlon and Para-Cycling (road and track) events with a dream to compete in the Paralympic Games. His Paralympic dream is just one way his inspiring optimism, humour, and determination have turned tough times into positive experiences.

Julie and Lowell work tremendously well as a team. Julie has been by Lowell’s side every step of the way as he faces challenges to his independence. And Lowell’s emotional/mental strength and unending patience has been their stronghold as they raise two young boys together.

This loving pair wants to run "The Amazing Race Canada" before Lowell’s sight decreases further, and hopes to inspire their sons as well as those with physical limitations. “I want to honour my grandfather who suffered from the same eye condition. He was blind by age 40, but continued farming till his 80s… decades after he completely lost his sight,” says Lowell. Julie and Lowell would use their winnings to acquire proper equipment and training for Lowell’s Paralympic Games dream, fund eye treatments to help slow the progression of his condition, and travel with their kids before Lowell goes fully blind.

FUN FACTS

Motto: “Racing with heart…not sight”
If you and your teammate were a pop duo, what would your name be? Wrong Direction
Walk on song: “Count on Me” – Bruno Mars 
Past team they most associate with: Jody and Cory
If you could be an animal what would you be?
Julie: Golden retriever
Lowell: Owl 
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
More questions from their profile:

Julie:

How did you train for the Race? Physically, I continued my regular workouts (alternating swimming, biking and running), started climbing and did a couple chin-ups. Mentally, I binge-watched other 'The Amazing Race Canada' episodes and played brain games.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? Being Lowell’s biggest fan at the Paralympics!

What’s your must-have item of clothing? Bright clothing in general … all the better for Lowell to see me!

Lowell:

What’s in your backpack? Clothes, toiletries, extra shoes, flip flops and a bunch of visual supports (flashlights, head lamps, magnifiers, glasses, cane).

Why did you choose this as your racing outfit? Julie likes me in blue.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? Paralympics!

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
We've seen racers who have disabilities but this one is definitely a 1st in the TAR Franchise, a racer who has sight impairment. Rooting for this team.  :hoot:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Just don't let him eat up the edit and they could be fun!

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
I think this team is really inspiring and one of a kind.

I think Maanca will like this team too.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
Very exciting! Will probably root for them in some capacity!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »
Production has released additional photos via Facebook:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
JULIE & LOWELL TAYLOR: “I consider myself a sighted person – right up to the point I walk into a wall,” says the upbeat Lowell, a self-professed “sensation seeker.”

Dealing with progressive and incurable retinitis pigmentosa hasn’t slowed down the Lethbridge couple.

“Dancing, or anything in darkness or driving, those are my three Ds. We’re word nerds,” says Julie.

“Anything strength and stamina, Lowell’s got a good problem-solving mind, those are Lowell’s areas. He’ll do anything. If it’s going to be jumping off of something or eating something or doing something crazy you don’t need vision for, he will do it.”

Says Lowell, “The statement is that anybody with any disability — mental physical, emotional — anybody can do more than they think they can. We want people to see this as an inspiration to overcome their hurdles.”

Source:http://www.lfpress.com/2016/06/24/the-amazing-race-canada-big-brother-canada-exes-mrs-universe-and-more-on-season-4

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:30 PM »
Obviously they'll have to pick their Roadblocks carefully. If he takes one that ends up being very attention to detail-oriented, she can't help, they may be forced to take the 4 hours.

Things involving picking out tiny differences, like the Lakshmi statues in India last season, or the fish sorting in Tofino in season 2.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:59:45 PM by Maanca »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:45:03 PM »
Lowell still has some vision left, but is gradually losing it :(

From the sounds of it, what he sees is like when you look through the wrong end of binoculars and there's that little dot. No peripheral vision.

Impressive of him to take that first Roadblock. He tweeted that he couldn't see the next rung in front of him.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:25:40 AM »
I definetly know somewhat what it's like Lowell. I am completely blind in my left eye so I am rooting for these guys!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »
‘Amazing’ experience for couple

They persevere through obstacles every single day, so what’s one little race across the country? To them, it means one last chance to see the world before one loses his vision completely.

Lowell and Julie Taylor, a husband and wife duo from Lethbridge, will make their debut on the fourth season of “The Amazing Race Canada” which premieres Tuesday night on CTV.

It was announced almost two weeks ago that they were one of the 10 teams to compete in the action-packed adventure.

During each episode or “leg” of the Race, teams must complete a series of challenges, some physical and some mental, to receive their next clue and learn of their next destination. The first team to reach the “Pit Stop” wins that leg, along with a prize. Teams who arrive last at the Pit Stop may be eliminated.

The Taylors intend to prove that with a positive attitude you can overcome anything, even while one of them is losing their sight.

Lowell suffers from Retinitis Pigmentosa. He is legally blind, with no peripheral vision, reduced central vision, and no vision in low light.

He is also the first visually-impaired racer to take part in any of “The Amazing Race” franchises.

“We were absolutely thrilled and also very grateful that they would take a chance on us,” said Julie, “and then also very nervous and panicky for what it actually meant for us and how we would be able to run the race.”

The southern Alberta pair have been by each others side for the past 13 years, married for nine. They have two young boys, ages three and four.

Lowell, from a small farm near Carstairs, and Julie, born and raised in Lethbridge, both graduated from the University of Lethbridge.

Lowell, 34, is now a registered psychologist, and Julie, 33, a former Lethbridge Herald paper carrier, is now a speech and language pathologist.

They wanted to join “The Amazing Race Canada” to inspire not only their children, but also to inspire those with any kind of disability, whether mental, physical, or cognitive, to dream big and push past perceived limitations.

“You can do more, you can overcome,” said Lowell. “As people with disabilities, we believe that we have limits. Society believes we have limitations, but I think a lot of those are false. We might need help, or augmentation, or something different, but we can do a lot more than the perceived limitations that are placed.”

“I think one thing viewers will realize, when they watch Lowell especially, is a negative attitude can be more debilitating than a disability,” said Julie. “Lowell is such a positive guy and his positive attitude outshines his disability. He embraced the experience. I think it will be inspirational for people, especially those with disabilities.”

There was also a short window of time before Lowell’s sight diminishes further, and a chance to make some memories together before he becomes completely blind.

“This was the sweet spot for my vision,” said Lowell. “I can see the world, but it’s closing quickly. There’s a sliver of sight that we want to make use of. So this is an important time to go and see the world, try new things and adventures, and make memories with Julie.”

The roles in their relationship have evolved over the years, Julie explained, as Lowell’s vision continues to decrease.

“At the centre of that is communication, love, respect and support for each other. As well as fun. We like to have a lot of fun together,” she said.

They always knew they would work together well as a team, and being on “The Amazing Race” only confirmed it.

“We know each other very well and it just confirmed what we already knew about each other,” said Lowell. “That we are a good team and that we communicate well.”

Their teamwork, energy and optimism was called upon when the pair faced several challenging obstacles. Such as moments when the team faced a “roadblock,” in which only one person must complete a task without any help.

“They’re very vague and you have to decide who’s doing it before you learn what you’re actually doing,” said Julie.

“Going into it, this was one of the biggest fears, or one of the hardest parts for us, was knowing we could go home at any moment if it was a visually-challenging task. So we had to pick them very carefully if we could,” said Lowell.

This led Julie to place a lot of pressure on herself. She had already accepted if they couldn’t pass a roadblock due to visual impairment, but she didn’t want to be the one to let Lowell down.

“If it was something that I screwed up with my brain or I didn’t complete a task, that would have been devastating to me,” she said. “That was one of my big fears heading in, which kind of impacted my mental and emotional state. Good thing Lowell is such a mentally and emotionally strong guy, because he definitely carried us in that sense.”

It’s a lot harder than it looks when you’re sitting at home watching the race on TV, said Lowell.

“You’re sleep-deprived, not eating, stressed, and it’s cumulative. Each week you watch just a part of it, but we’re living in it. It is a stressful experience, and they make it stressful so that they make better TV,” Lowell said with a laugh.

The Taylors are both very physically active with swimming, biking and running, and have competed in a number of triathlons together.

In addition to their active lifestyle, the pair started climbing (becoming certified belayers), played brain games, and binge-watched previous seasons of the show to prepare for the race.

“And I practised my puns a lot beforehand,” joked Lowell.

“Yeah, that might be an interesting part of the show,” laughed Julie. “He needs no practise. It comes naturally.”

Lowell has been pursuing Para-Cycling (road and track) along with his guide Mark, with a dream to compete in the Paralympic Games. There was a chance Lowell could have qualified for the Rio Paralympics this year, but it would have meant declining the opportunity to compete on “The Amazing Race Canada.”

“We actually had to choose, because during ‘The Amazing Race Canada’ there was a qualifier in Montreal that we were preparing for that I had to skip,” said Lowell. Now they are aiming for Tokyo in 2020.

“Which is more realistic anyways, to be more trained and more prepared to do better,” said Lowell. “We have big dreams. I have no sight, but I have a lot of vision.”

Along with the travel and adventure, the Taylors say the friendships made with other racers, the production crew, and people along the way was truly one-of-a-kind.

“The experience truly was amazing. The production, the crew, the places you go, everything about the show is really amazing and it was amazing to be a part of it. I say amazing a lot now. I don’t know if it’s something the show just does to you…” said Lowell.

Filming occurred over five weeks in the Spring. The couple couldn’t share too many details about where they were headed during that time, telling their sons they were on a backpacking trip. The Taylors are immensely grateful for Julie’s parents who took care of their boys so they could compete.

Since it was officially announced that they were one of the teams competing, the pair has received a lot of messages and support from friends and community members.

“We’ve been thrilled by the excitement of Lethbridge and thrilled by the excitement of people we know, and people we don’t know,” said Lowell. “But we’re also a little overwhelmed, in a good way.”

“I wish we could individually respond to everybody because we have received so many messages,” said Julie. “We see it, we feel it, and we love it. We’re really grateful for everybody’s support.”

Source:http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/local-news/2016/06/27/amazing-experience-for-couple/

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:18 AM »
No offense, and I'm sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but sometimes I think he can see  :umn:

Like in that one scene in the premiere where he says Frankie & Amy are behind them in the cab, how was he able to know it was them if he suffers in his peripheral?

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 04:59:47 AM »
You're not wrong Gamer. The thing with him is that he can partly see. He cas see it like in a hole and when it's dark he can't see anything

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
From the article above:

Lowell has been pursuing Para-Cycling (road and track) along with his guide Mark, with a dream to compete in the Paralympic Games. There was a chance Lowell could have qualified for the Rio Paralympics this year, but it would have meant declining the opportunity to compete on “The Amazing Race Canada.”

“We actually had to choose, because during ‘The Amazing Race Canada’ there was a qualifier in Montreal that we were preparing for that I had to skip,” said Lowell. Now they are aiming for Tokyo in 2020.

“Which is more realistic anyways, to be more trained and more prepared to do better,” said Lowell. “We have big dreams. I have no sight, but I have a lot of vision.”
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »
The place where their intro shot is, I took a walk through there once.

Indian Battle Park in the Oldman River valley. It runs below the High Level Bridge (Lethbridge's icon) that you see in the background.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »
Legally blind 'Amazing Race Canada' competitor hopes to be inspiration

It’s never easy to see the finish line on “The Amazing Race Canada.” This season, however, one competitor is attempting to run the race blind.

Lowell Taylor, a 34-year-old psychologist from Lethbridge, Alta., is the first legally blind contestant on either the Canadian or American version of “The Amazing Race.” He and his wife Julie, a 33-year-old speech and language pathologist, are sitting in the seventh spot heading into week four of the show’s fourth season, which airs Tuesdays on CTV.

Lowell is coping with retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a degenerative eye disease that has left him with no peripheral vision, reduced central vision and night blindness.

His central vision has narrowed to within a 15 per cent range.

“When I look at your eye,” he says, “I don’t see your mouth.”

Lowell has had to adjust to decreasing vision all his life. His hero is his grandfather, who lost his sight at age 40 and continued to farm until he was 80.

By competing in the race, Lowell hopes “to be an inspiration to young people and people who need to overcome challenges.”

Especially to two preschoolers back home in Lethbridge, adds Julie. “I’m looking forward to our own kids seeing what their dad can do despite his disability.”

The couple met 13 years ago at the University of Lethbridge. They’ve long been adventure-seekers, hitting the road for over a year in New Zealand before starting a family. Lowell once even took on a Calgary radio station challenge, riding a Ferris wheel for an entire week.

Friendly and outgoing, they thought they’d play a strong social game. “That blew up in our faces,” says Lowell. “Nobody wanted to be our friend,” adds Julie, “because we were always at the back of the pack.”

The producers made no attempt to ease Lowell into the race. The first episode opened with teams repelling off towers in Calgary and bungee jumping off of the Skytram in Jasper, Alta.

“We weren’t expecting right off the bat there would be these extreme things,” says Julie.

Executive producer John Brunton says there was debate about casting a blind competitor.

“In his audition tape, he said he wanted to attempt to compete equally with everybody else,” says Brunton. “Thank God he has a partner.”

It helps, he adds, that the Taylors “are about as nice a couple as I’ve ever met.”

Lowell and Julie have already enjoyed a celebrity encounter during the race — they ran into former prime minister Stephen Harper at the Calgary airport. “I made him hug me!” says Julie. “He didn’t stand up right away.”

“I think he was really regretting not having his private jet at that point,” jokes Lowell.

On the next episode, which takes place in Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City, the Taylors have to sing a song in a dark, noisy karaoke bar — in Vietnamese. That’s a tall order for teams who can read the strange sounding words off a monitor, but Lowell has to memorize his lyrics in order to advance past the challenge.

“Navigating in the dark is nothing new to me,” says Lowell, ever cheerful.

Episode four will also challenge teams to chew their way through some local delicacies from a street vendor, including larvae, crickets, centipedes, live coconut worms and, for desert, a bat.

Bring it on, says Lowell. “The faster, the higher, the colder, the deeper, the stinkier — I love it.”

The Taylors would love to win the $250,000 grand prize to help fund Lowell’s other dream: participating in the Paralympic Games. He’s been training in road and track cycling.

He realizes, of course, that “there’s not a lot of money in blind racing.” Any “Amazing Race” money would also go into their children’s education funds as well as into resources the couple will need as Lowell’s eyesight continues to deteriorate.

The money is important, say the Taylors, but they know better than most that money isn’t everything.

“This is all about the experience for us,” says Lowell, “seeing the world before I go blind.”

Source:http://www.mymcmurray.com/2016/07/15/legally-blind-amazing-race-canada-competitor-hopes-to-be-inspiration/

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »
I thought they would be a boring forced OTTP "inspirational" story...

But instead they are:
-Bottomgoddessing (always dropping near last at every task and recovering near the end or vice-versa <3)
-Making hilariously bad and awesome puns
-Being generally fun

I love them!  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
I loved this moment last leg:

Julie: *looks inside a barn* Honey, is it here?
Lowell: I can't see.

Take note TAR, THIS is how you edit a team that's meant to inspire. Show them as fun people who happen to overcome their difficulties, NOT focusing an entire episode/season on them (*cough* *cough* Dave & Connor *cough* *cough*).

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »
Pretty much every team with a disabled member gets their "adversity" moment of the race sooner or later, and this Roadblock was his.

I'm sure production was hoping he'd have to do it rather than Julie.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
Saddest elimination so far this season :( I was obligated to root for them partially because I used to live close to Lethbridge.

Such genuine, positive people all through the race, and from the sounds of it, wonderful parents, too. Even when they ran up to the mat knowing they were about to get eliminated, they were still smiling.

At least Lowell got one last pun in, the "can't fork-get that!" at the prison. For being Amazing Race's first visually impaired racer, to go 7 legs is pretty darn incredible! He represented well.

Hopefully he does make it to Tokyo 2020 :)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
http://theamazingracecanada.ctv.ca/news/julie-lowell-honoured-to-inspire-others-amazing-ra

Julie and Lowell honoured they could inspire others while running ‘The Amazing Race Canada’
Sheri Block
August 10, 2016

Running “The Amazing Race Canada” would be a challenging task for anyone, let alone someone who is legally blind.

But for Lowell Taylor, the first contestant on any version of “The Amazing Race” to attempt such a feat, he saw it as an opportunity rather than a roadblock.

It’s the same attitude the 34-year-old registered psychologist, who ran the “Race” with his wife Julie, has in every aspect of his life.

“Being able to re-frame it from a disability to an opportunity is something that gets me through so instead of ‘look at all the things that I’ve lost it’s (look at) what have I gained,’” says Lowell, who has a condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP).

As well as “The Amazing Race Canada,” Lowell also points to the chance to hopefully go to the Paralympics (he’s currently training to compete in the Para-Triathlon and Para-Cycling events) and do public speaking.

“It’s hard to lose vision and there’s been moments of really being down but if I can provide some hope and inspiration to people (that helps). As it gets worse, I’m going to have to keep grieving those losses each time. (But) I think I can, with the right support, achieve my dreams,” he says as he looks to his wife Julie.

Julie adds they’ve also received a ton of messages from people who have been inspired watching the show.

“The most meaningful messages have been from people with disabilities or people with visual impairments and also people with children with visual impairments and how they’ve been watching the show with their kids and they feel encouraged their kids now have someone to look up to that didn’t let that get in their way.”

Lowell, who has no peripheral vision, reduced central vision and no vision in low light, realized along the “Race” that the little vision he does have left is getting worse.

He says while he is able to manage going about his daily routine at home in Lethbridge, Alta., navigating a race in unfamiliar places proved to be a lot more difficult.

“It’s always getting worse and we’ve just been living our lives and raising kids and going to work  … but this being traveling in a race we had to travel to new places without maps, without technology and GPS and it just made it really hard to get around in new environments.

“I was running into things, I was hitting my head on water taxis, in and out of cabs, there were lots and lots of challenges that weren’t shown.”

Julie says in light of all that, they are so proud they made it as far as they did. Their time on the “Race” ended this week in Kingston, Ont., after a timed bubble soccer challenge proved to be a difficult task for Lowell, which put them behind the other teams and struggling to catch up the rest of the leg.

“We were very grateful to even have made it that far, we knew we were lucky to even be cast and then to make seven legs, that was amazing. But also disappointing we did feel like we had more potential at that point but then again the silver lining, too, was that we knew if we were eliminated we’d get to communicate with our kids again,” says Julie.

One of the reasons Lowell wanted to do “The Amazing Race Canada” was to see parts of Canada and the world before he goes completely blind.

“Falling from the Skytram (in Jasper), you can’t even pay to do this. It was just amazing and to see it was a beautiful day out and rappelling, just floating down the Calgary Tower … and then the tugboat of course (in Haida Gwaii), moments I’ll remember for the rest of my life,” says Lowell.

“It’s been an honour. We did want to go in there and be good ambassadors for marriage and for people overcoming obstacles so I think we achieved that.”

To help support Lowell’s journey to the 2020 Paralympic Games click here

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 07:24:42 PM »
Like Dorothy said...."I think I'll miss you most of all".

This is a wonderful article!

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/local-news/2016/08/11/simply-amazing/

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.