The Amazing Race International Versions > TAR Canada

TAR CANADA 4 CONTESTANTS - Julie & Lowell Taylor (Married couple)

(1/6) > >>

Alenaveda:
Julie & Lowell Taylor
(Married couple)

Julie Taylor

Current City: Lethbridge, Alta.
Hometown: Lethbridge, Alta.
Strengths: Outgoing, sense of humour, and napping
Fears/Phobia: Snakes
Favourite Travel Destination: New Zealand
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “When he steals my puns and gets a better reaction!”

Lowell Taylor

Current City: Lethbridge, Alta.
Hometown: Farm near Carstairs, Alta.
Strengths: Determination, sense of humour, and listening   
Fears/Phobia: Not being able to help his wife and kids because of his disability
Favourite Travel Destination: New Zealand
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “How she doubts her superpowers.”

Alenaveda:
ABOUT JULIE AND LOWELL
Julie and Lowell are an enthusiastic and dynamic couple who persevere through obstacles every day. Lowell suffers from Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) and is legally blind. He has no peripheral vision, reduced central vision, and no vision in low light. Lowell has adjusted to decreasing sight his entire life, and has found passion in sports. He is currently training for Para-Triathlon and Para-Cycling (road and track) events with a dream to compete in the Paralympic Games. His Paralympic dream is just one way his inspiring optimism, humour, and determination have turned tough times into positive experiences.

Julie and Lowell work tremendously well as a team. Julie has been by Lowell’s side every step of the way as he faces challenges to his independence. And Lowell’s emotional/mental strength and unending patience has been their stronghold as they raise two young boys together.

This loving pair wants to run "The Amazing Race Canada" before Lowell’s sight decreases further, and hopes to inspire their sons as well as those with physical limitations. “I want to honour my grandfather who suffered from the same eye condition. He was blind by age 40, but continued farming till his 80s… decades after he completely lost his sight,” says Lowell. Julie and Lowell would use their winnings to acquire proper equipment and training for Lowell’s Paralympic Games dream, fund eye treatments to help slow the progression of his condition, and travel with their kids before Lowell goes fully blind.

FUN FACTS

Motto: “Racing with heart…not sight”
If you and your teammate were a pop duo, what would your name be? Wrong Direction
Walk on song: “Count on Me” – Bruno Mars 
Past team they most associate with: Jody and Cory
If you could be an animal what would you be?
Julie: Golden retriever
Lowell: Owl 

Alenaveda:
More questions from their profile:

Julie:

How did you train for the Race? Physically, I continued my regular workouts (alternating swimming, biking and running), started climbing and did a couple chin-ups. Mentally, I binge-watched other 'The Amazing Race Canada' episodes and played brain games.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? Being Lowell’s biggest fan at the Paralympics!

What’s your must-have item of clothing? Bright clothing in general … all the better for Lowell to see me!

Lowell:

What’s in your backpack? Clothes, toiletries, extra shoes, flip flops and a bunch of visual supports (flashlights, head lamps, magnifiers, glasses, cane).

Why did you choose this as your racing outfit? Julie likes me in blue.

What's the next big thing in your life you'd like to accomplish? Paralympics!

Alenaveda:

TARUSAFan:
We've seen racers who have disabilities but this one is definitely a 1st in the TAR Franchise, a racer who has sight impairment. Rooting for this team.  :hoot:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version