Author Topic: TAR 29: Joy and dissapointment  (Read 5396 times)

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
TAR 29: Joy and dissapointment
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »
Season 29 has ended, after a year hiatus long, we finally seen Chicago as a closure for this victorious season...

now, what's part that makes you thrilled and full of joy after watching this season? and what's part that makes you thing this season could have been better than great?
what might have been

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
Re: TAR 29: Joy and disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »
My joy and disappointment in Tar 29

Joy:
- stellar casts... (all except Seth & Olive (hi there :lol:) are intriguing and amazing...)
- stellar  task concepts
- improvements editing
- improvements consistency (all legs except Milan-Lake Como are wonderful)
- increasingly quantity of self-driving leg (Mike/Liz would have won if they raced in TAR 27:lol: )
- Fast Forward...
- Finale Leg <3333 (best since TAR 12 and TAR 21)
- golden era of TAR vibes...

Disappointment:
- Italy 1 leg
- broadcast in unfortunate primetime, resulting lower rating

what might have been

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: TAR 29: Joy and dissapointment
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:33:18 AM »
JOYS OF TAR 30
a great cast!
Good cast!
Lovely locations (Lake Como, Athens)
The FINALE LEG!!!
SELF-DRIVING!!!!

CONS OF TAR30
The winners
1 Italy Leg
Bad timeslot

Overall, a 7 out of 10 season for me!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:50:04 AM »
Good Things

Brooke & Scott  :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:
TeamFun
Zanzibar  :D
Greece  :)
Seoulllllll  :bunny
Amazing Cast
Teams always Uturning
Brooke & Scott
Golden Era segments
Memory Task
& Brooke & Scott

Bad Things

Poor Vanck & Ashton
Italy Leg 1
Bunch Up in Dar Es Salaam
No detours after leg 9
The roadblock b4 going to Vietnam

LOVED THIS SEASON  :hoot:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »

I'll post my own list sometime later. :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:01:12 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
The good:
Good variety of locations
3 self-driving legs
The strangers twist wasn't as bad as I feared
A few close finishes
The strangers theme forced editors to spend more time on each individual, instead of a generic 'hook' for each team, which has been getting way too common recently.
Good switchbacks in Greece and Vietnam

The bad:
Everything about the u-turn. Putting it before the detour tasks themselves, allowing unlimited uses, all 3 u-turns coming on elimination legs, etc. I really, really hate the u-turn and it single handedly eliminated 3 teams this year. And teams used to be able to avoid it if they excelled at the tasks, but having it before the tasks is so stupid.
Too many military/police/firefighter types in the cast (rejected Survivor tribe idea perhaps?)
No detours in the last 3 legs (I know they hate to risk tasks going unused  from a budget perspective with just a few teams left, but it's an integral part of the show).

The Norway episode was probably my favorite of the season.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
Joy:
- The cast was so great and such a vast improvement for last season.
- Route was great with new and under visited locale despite it doesn't have new countries featured (Panama only visit for third time <3, Sao Paulo visit since TAR9, Dar Es Salaam/Zanzibar visit since TAR11 <3, Alesund <3, Milan visit since TAR4 <3, Lake Como <3, Venice visit since TAR4 <3, Greece visit since TAR9 <3, Hanoi visit after the controversial TAR22 leg <3, Ninh Binh <3, South Korea only visit for third time <3, Chicago finale since TAR6 <3)
- The quantity of self driving leg being increased in full force. <3
- Fast Forward being not guaranteed for teams to finish on 1st place.
- Production value of this season was decent most of the time complete with more usage of TAR classic soundtrack during the episode.

Disappointment:
- The U-Turn placement before the Detour.
- Production decided to under edit the six different flights from Panama City to Sao Paulo.
- The Milan/Lake Como leg after the overnight rest portion was a disaster.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
I'll make my list by extracting my contents from the past live show threads. I'll do it when I have the time to do so, but I haven't even done TARA5's until now. :-X I have a good feeling the joys will outweigh the disappointments. :conf:

Short version of joys from finale live show thread:
Overall, this is one amazing season! The cast delivered, the twist worked out very well, the locations were wonderful despite not having a new country, and most leg designs were great, which made most episodes turn out well as a result. The editing improved this season! I'm not sure if it's just me, but in (almost?) every episode, each team was given enough screentime for character development. Hope this season makes future seasons amazing-er than the amazing-est! :hrt:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
All  posts not contributing to the topic are being deleted.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:58:07 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 03:08:54 AM »
I enjoyed pretty much everything on this season, as it is exactly what I asked for after I was so disappointed by TAR26

but the U-Turns were utterly broken this season. Whoever was in charge of handling those this time around needs a stern talking to. U-Turns should not under any circumstances come before the Detour, as it defeats a lot of what makes them interesting. Why do Tara & Joey get to use the U-Turn because they happened to be fastest coming off of a boat? Three is also just way too much for a season, especially if they are all double. Finally, they need to patch out the ability to 'waste' the second U-Turn slot on purpose. It's cheap and overpowered.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Erebus1111

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »
Joys:
The idea of strangers working together.
Most of the teams were enjoyable to watch.
Good choice in locations.

Disappointments:
UNLIMITED U-TURNS FOR EVERYBODY!!!
U-turn boards BEFORE the Detour, every...single...time.
Most of the roadblocks didn't seem that hard at all, some were even laughably easy as long as you didn't panic and paid attention.
Leg 11, and not even the fact of who made it to the final three. I mean, cup stacking and video games? That's the best they could come up with?
Team interactions seemed extremely harsh to me this season. Like they were rude to each other, other teams, and even people in each country. E.x. The ladder fiasco
Being from the Midwest, I can say, without a doubt, that the Season Finale was an awful representation of Chicago. I mean, we have Grant Park, Navy Pier, The Field Museum, ect. And all they did was visit a raceway in Joliet, the Wrigley Field (Which was a good choice) and one of our lesser known parks.
Brooke and Scott. It's gotta be bad when even Brooke, herself, said she couldn't stand watching herself in the last leg on social media. And no, I'm not upset that they won.
Having to wait til near night to watch each episode.

Meh:
Everything I didn't list

Overall:  5 or 6/10 Average     I mean, it wasn't awful. It, to me, felt like an attempt to not be Season 26, and in some aspects (like team likability), it isn't. In others (Like the 'hard' challenges) it isn't. Still better than Season 26, and by far Season 8. Still just a huge disappointment following season 27 and 28. But, I see a lot of people liked this season, and that is ok.
School of Griffin 4 Life

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:13:48 AM »
PROīS
* Cast
* Route
* Switchbacks
* Tasks
* Starting Line Task & Team-Making Process

CONīS
* U-turns before the detour
* No detours from leg 10 to the finish line
* Waaaaaaay to easy tasks on the finale