Author Topic: Good idea? Bad idea?  (Read 10042 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Good idea? Bad idea?
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Here is a thread where you can ask your fellow forum visitors if something is a good idea or a bad idea. You can bring up something TAR has already done, or something that they could do in the future?

Here's one to start.

U-Turns on a Non-Elimination Leg. Good idea? Bad idea?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Erebus1111

• RFF Full Member
Re: Good idea? Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »

Good Idea. Would be hilarious to watch teams flip out, especially if it's a couple that hates one another.
School of Griffin 4 Life

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:44:09 PM »
I think it's a waste.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »
U-turns are bad ideas to begin with.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
Good idea or bad idea - Each team is only allowed one NEL save.  If they end up last on a NEL for the 2nd time, then they're eliminated and the NEL will be moved to the next leg.

Offline tennis33

• RFF Full Member
  • 🌎 🏃‍♂️ 🔥
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »
Leg 2
Triple blind U-Turn

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:08 AM »
Leg 2
Triple blind U-Turn
Good idea! :grins:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:50:18 AM »
Combining the DYM and the Save. If the Save is unused by the end of the penultimate leg, the team has a chance to win $2M. If they use the Save, they lose their chance for the extra million. Also, I think winning this should be more challenging, like getting 3 straight firsts or landing in the top three on the first three legs.

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 04:11:00 AM »
A season of past winners racing for a different prize (by that, I mean something more than the million). I can't imagine who the early boots would be. :ascared

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
Good idea or bad idea - Each team is only allowed one NEL save.  If they end up last on a NEL for the 2nd time, then they're eliminated and the NEL will be moved to the next leg.

Leg 2
Triple blind U-Turn

Combining the DYM and the Save. If the Save is unused by the end of the penultimate leg, the team has a chance to win $2M. If they use the Save, they lose their chance for the extra million. Also, I think winning this should be more challenging, like getting 3 straight firsts or landing in the top three on the first three legs.

Yes to these 3.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

Good Idea. Would be hilarious to watch teams flip out, especially if it's a couple that hates one another.

Good idea, it has happened though.
TAR13 had an unaired one in Leg 9.
TAR27 had one right before a zero-hour pit stop.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »

Yup. Doesn't have to be something hypothetical.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline TARJr.

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »

Having one before sa ZHPS makes more sense than having a U-turn on a NEL, though.
Maybe the absence of signs is a sign.

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
The one time I remember it happening where it actually had an effect was Leg 5 of Canada 3 (ZHPS). But that version actually doesn't have the 1 U-Turn per race rule, and a team did indeed use it twice.

On the US race I say yes it's a bad idea because then they've wasted their only use of it if nobody was going home.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »
Reverting DYM rule
Team would win DYM prize if they won a final leg and also had most legs win in an entire race, With this rule, twinnie's U-turn Strategy would be phased out

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »
Reverting DYM rule
Team would win DYM prize if they won a final leg and also had most legs win in an entire race, With this rule, twinnie's U-turn Strategy would be phased out

I don't think it's a bad idea, but having the team winning the most legs win the DYM means that the team already has so much Travelocity prizes and yet they still have the $2M.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
Reverting DYM rule

I don't think it's a bad idea, but having the team winning the most legs win the DYM means that the team already has so much Travelocity prizes and yet they still have the $2M.
Yep.
Bad idea sorry.

Offline Erebus1111

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
Good Idea? Bad Idea?

A leg/detour/road block/fast forward about the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup.
School of Griffin 4 Life

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »
Good Idea? Bad Idea?

A leg/detour/road block/fast forward about the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup.

Good idea.
IMO, themed legs are usually nice to watch. :hrt:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
Twin U-turns: One U-turn before the detour, another U-turn after the detour.

The team U-turned before the detour must perform both tasks before proceeding to their next location, the location of the 2nd U-turn, which means they can only use the 2nd U-turn (if still unused) after finishing both detours. Meanwhile, if a team is U-turned on the 2nd one while the 1st one was unused, the team will not be allowed to backtrack in order to use the 1st U-turn.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Offline Vodka.

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 02:57:02 AM »
Faceoff Challenge:

Example:
Team A arrived last on Leg 2. Phil says they will be expecting a challenge known as the FaceOff.

On Leg 3, let's suppose there is one point. Where teams have to check in for the three departure times, Team A are not allowed to check in for the departure time unless they complete their FaceOff Challenge. Team B arrives last at the spot. Therefore, Phil will tell Team A and Team B to compete with each other in the FaceOff Challenge. Whoever lost in this FaceOff Challenge will be eliminated immediately.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:06 AM »
Faceoff Challenge:

Example:
Team A arrived last on Leg 2. Phil says they will be expecting a challenge known as the FaceOff.

On Leg 3, let's suppose there is one point. Where teams have to check in for the three departure times, Team A are not allowed to check in for the departure time unless they complete their FaceOff Challenge. Team B arrives last at the spot. Therefore, Phil will tell Team A and Team B to compete with each other in the FaceOff Challenge. Whoever lost in this FaceOff Challenge will be eliminated immediately.

Semi-good. I say it depends with the nature of the task.
Also, the ELs and NELs might not balance out with one team being eliminated during the FaceOff task and another team being eliminated at the pit stop, which makes this semi-bad as well.

Offline Vodka.

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
Faceoff Challenge:

Example:

Semi-good. I say it depends with the nature of the task.
Also, the ELs and NELs might not balance out with one team being eliminated during the FaceOff task and another team being eliminated at the pit stop, which makes this semi-bad as well.

what about having a NEL at the end?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
I never liked 2 NELs in a row, so I'd say that's not that good of an idea either. :P
However, I'd love for TAR to introduce the face-off as a twist.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
I never liked 2 NELs in a row, so I'd say that's not that good of an idea either. :P

Perhaps a SLT penalty? ???

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Also known as a Double Battle in most of the other versions to use it.

If teams don't quit it, sure. The first Canadian one was utterly broken by 2 teams quitting (therefore no opponent = no penalty for the last team), but the second one showed how well it can work.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »
A note below the roadblock question for racers who might have difficulty doing a task due to disabilities.

For example in TAR25, if a task is easier done with 2 hands, then instead of turning the supposed roadblocks into ARI's, TAR should've just indicated "Adam is recommended to do this roadblock."

Same applies when there are racers who are blind or deaf.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Offline Erebus1111

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
Good Idea? Bad Idea?

A season of TAR that had different relationships based around the military. (Couple in the air force, mothers whose sons are in the army, war veterans, ect.)
School of Griffin 4 Life

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
Not a question, and it has existed a few times:

Having a team with the MFE Penalty race on a leg with the intersection is one of the worst ideas ever.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
Not a question, and it has existed a few times:

Having a team with the MFE Penalty race on a leg with the intersection is one of the worst ideas ever.
But it's a different story with the MFE MFE Penalty race on a leg with the Face Off Task, team who finished last in a leg would have a chance if they beat anyone else in face off task
Five minutes rule should be applied in a back to back legs in the same country