Author Topic: Aspects of international TARs that you would like to see on TARUS  (Read 10394 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
There's been a growing consensus that international TARs over the years have been much better than the TAR mothership in many aspects. 
For anyone that's seen even 1 international TAR franchise, what is something about them that you would like to see on TARUS or see TARUS emulate?

For example, TAR Australia's casting has been excellent.  All three TARAu casts easily top any recent TARUS cast. 

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Aspects of international TARs that you would like to see on TARUS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:31:30 AM »
For example, TAR Australia's casting has been excellent.  All three TARAu casts easily top any recent TARUS cast.
The routes have been awesome too! :hrt: So are some of the tasks even though they have been recycled.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Salvage Pass in the US versions. :)

The voting Yields and U-turns could've gotten rid of some strong teams. :grins: I wouldn't mind seeing those too.

The handicap is something I'd like to see come out once in a while, as well as the MFE penalty. TAR US should do something to alternate the NEL penalties, like maybe have the NEL'd team pick one randomly from a jar? :lol:

The U-turns and Yields co-exisiting in international versions are great in my opinion. That's what I wanna see.

Better execution and the return of the intersection? I'd love to have it back in the US to be honest. :hoot:

Lastly, probably my main wish, I want to see the US versions have something like duels or double battles. Those are usually great, and they give some teams at the back some sort of equalizer in a way. :hearts:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:14:44 AM »
Snatch TARAus' casting directors and run.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:29:00 AM »
Snatch TARAus' casting directors and run.
I've been saying this after TARAu1! lol

It's interesting how TARUS has wanted to force drama at times and use U-Turns to eliminate teams, but not brought over voting U-Turns/Yields.  That would certainly cause drama and if used correctly, can foster real competition.

Same with Double Battles/Duels/Face Offs.  If used correctly, they can be fun, push teams to be competitive and definitely bring about drama.  But they can also fail miserably like TAR Canada 3 and most (not all) of TARPH2's duels.

Really, all of the twists introduced and still used in international TARs are good when included on well-designed Legs.  But one of TARUS' big problems has been their simple, barebone Legs lately. 

And another thing TARUS can learn from the international TARs.  How is it possible that TARAu, TARC, TARA even TARPH can put together better, fuller, more exciting Legs with, at most, half of TARUS' budget?!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:49:04 AM »
TARUS needs to just check our Design Challenge finalists legs for inspiration lol. A LOT of those are way better than what we get on the show.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:15 AM »
And another thing TARUS can learn from the international TARs.  How is it possible that TARAu, TARC, TARA even TARPH can put together better, fuller, more exciting Legs with, at most, half of TARUS' budget?!

I haven't watched TARC, but I'm thinking the time length of the episodes and the editing matter. I wish TAR US can give us more by showing more than 43 minutes per episode. TAR28's 1st episode had so much to show, yet it was so crammed. :groan: As for editing, enough said. :lol:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
I have more to add. :lol: Expect me coming back from time to time.

I like how TAR Internationals incorporate classic and modern elements from TAR US. For example in TAR US, the yield only existed in the classic era (TAR1-11), while the U-turn only exists in the modern era (TAR12-present). The internationals (at least most of them) have both coexist. Even the EP and the Intersection coexisted in some TAR Internationals, and I still question to this day how the EP will be used in Intersections! TAR US can't answer this question of mine, since the last time the Intersection appeared was in TAR16 while the first time the EP appeared was in TAR17. :(

Oh also…
I was able to easily watch TAR Australia episodes through YouTube. :luvya: :hrt: :trampb:
Meanwhile, I can't even watch a single secret scene from TAR28. :res: TAR US is aware they have fans from outside the US, but why don't they want to show us!? :gaah: It doesn't make any sense!

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »
I really want them to improve the editing. When I was watching TAR6 on Youtube yesterday and compare to the recent TAR, it felt almost the DIFFERENT show. I wish they could go back to the same edit style while maintain an amazing graphic they have right now.

The leg design and route really need to be stepped up too. While I think that since TAR25 onward had done a pretty good job with the route, the redundancy of some country is still appeared. (Visiting China 2 season in a row?)

I have lost the interest of TAR for quite a while, which I can't believe since I've been a hardcore fan of this show since I was like 10? So hopefully it's gonna get better. I'll keep rooting for the producer to pull out the great season like they have done before in the past.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
I feel the same TBH. I didn't watch half of TAR27 and I've only made it as far as the 3rd leg this season

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
I haven't watched TARC, but I'm thinking the time length of the episodes and the editing matter. I wish TAR US can give us more by showing more than 43 minutes per episode. TAR28's 1st episode had so much to show, yet it was so crammed. :groan: As for editing, enough said. :lol:

That's the thing. TAR Canada, Asia and Australia all have 43-50 minute episodes with much smaller budgets yet can do much more and put together more exciting competition and episodes than TARUS.  Basically, the international TARs are classic TAR.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
I like all of these except the Voting U-Turn. That is unfair to a team that has done well since in a regular U-Turn, you have to beat the team to be able to U-Turn them.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
For me, double the episodes (from TAR Israel). Two episodes per leg is the perfect length for me.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
For me, double the episodes (from TAR Israel). Two episodes per leg is the perfect length for me.
But the Legs would definitely have to be filled with more tasks.  We've seen TARUS struggle to fill 44 minutes in recent seasons lol

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
In TAR Australia, when teams win the EP or SP, they win an additional prize.

In the US, when teams win the EP or the DYM or The Save, they get nothing else. (Although, having The Save alone without any other prize is okay for me because of its power.)

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 02:35:45 AM »
Except Premiere and finale legs, each legs in TAR Israel usually covers in 3 episodes, and some for 4 episodes (TARI 5 leg 9 in South Korea)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 03:06:08 AM »
I wanna see the Face Off/Double Battle in the US version, SO MUCH!  :funny:

The Salvage Pass wouldn't be bad either!

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »

It was called the Save. It didn't work out as it just so happened, Misti & Jim's only bad leg was on a "pre-determined" non-elimination leg.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:03 AM »
He's talking about the Salvage Pass, not the Save.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »

It was called the Save. It didn't work out as it just so happened, Misti & Jim's only bad leg was on a "pre-determined" non-elimination leg.

https://realityfanwiki.obfuscatereality.com/index.php?title=Salvage_Pass
https://realityfanwiki.obfuscatereality.com/index.php?title=The_Save
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
Please don't ever introduce the Face-off
The way Chinese Version handled it causes almost break down for the leg strucure

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »

The Salvage Pass and The Save are different. I wish The Salvage Pass will get it on TAR US rather than The Express Pass in earlier legs.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »
Keep the salvage pass/save/faceoff away from TARUS tyvm.

The Uturn is gone so stale now I'd rather us have the Yield/Voting Yield.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Liiiiike lbr the Salvage Pass as TARAus implemented it (1 hour lead or spare a team from elimination) wpuld never get implemented since everyone would choose the head start lol.

One that hasn't come up yet: start eliminating teams at the end of no-rest legs (it keep racers on their toes and leads to a better edit than the sneaky TBC in TAR 28 and 29 or having a sometimes terrible cliffhanger in TAR 18-27)

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »
Replace Speed bump by handicap as the NEL penalty. Instead of spare task, the penalized team would complete same tasks with other teams but one of them have higher requirement to complete, this type of penalty was used in TAR Norge usually in route info tasks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:36:45 PM by toanglobal »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
Liiiiike lbr the Salvage Pass as TARAus implemented it (1 hour lead or spare a team from elimination) wpuld never get implemented since everyone would choose the head start lol.

This ONLY works on legs that do not leave the country, and this has not happened yet. If Ross & Tarryn had chosen a 1-hour lead, it would have been meaningless because of the flight from Manila to New Delhi. Likewise, Daniel & Ryan DID take the 1-hour lead, and it was meaningless because of the flight from Moscow to Lisbon.

Compare this to the TAR Philippines version, where the team can choose to enter a bunching point (ie, hours of operation) one hour before all other teams.