Author Topic: TAR Vietnam Season 5 All-Star: SHOW Discussion  (Read 54864 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR Vietnam Season 5 All-Star: SHOW Discussion
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Hey what's up. Very involved leg this time.

1) I need some help with the Detour. How would you translate those names? Google translate says "Bỏ Dùi" is a "silverside drum". How did the La Làng Detour work, exactly? Did the song/style of song have a name, and what was the woman's erhu-like instrument and the drums called?
2) Did we get a name for the temple where the U-Turn is?

And can I just say, it's so great to see Mimi actually giving a damn. She's like a completely different girl from her Season 1 appearance. I'm definitely rooting for those two.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
Hey what's up. Very involved leg this time.

1) I need some help with the Detour. How would you translate those names? Google translate says "Bỏ Dùi" is a "silverside drum". How did the La Làng Detour work, exactly? Did the song/style of song have a name, and what was the woman's erhu-like instrument and the drums called?
2) Did we get a name for the temple where the U-Turn is?

And can I just say, it's so great to see Mimi actually giving a damn. She's like a completely different girl from her Season 1 appearance. I'm definitely rooting for those two.

1. The Detour names are Vietnamese Idioms.
2. I will recheck it for you.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 09:31:11 PM »
does anyone have another guide to the leg? I can't seem to access the wiki now and I don't have a guide while watching :(
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:45 PM »
I can't seem to access the wiki :( now I don't have a guide while watching :(

The wiki's been having problems. It seems to go down during the last 10 days of a month. It will definitely be back on May 1, but hopefully will be back before that. Georgiapeach is trying to fix it.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
thanks for that! I guess it's time to watch by context clues then lol
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 10:19:02 PM »
1. Honestly, I don't know how to translate these idioms because the meanings of them are irrelevant to the tasks.
Đánh trống bỏ dùi (Đánh trống: beat drum, bỏ dùi: leave drumsticks): describe someone with bad attitude, not take responsibility with something they did.
Đánh trống la làng (Đánh trống: beat drum, la làng: scream): describe a shady, sneaky persons who blame their mistakes to the other one.
I think that we just make it simple such as Đánh trống bỏ dùi = Make a drum, Đánh trống la làng = sing with drums.

2. Ancestor temple of Doi Tam drum village
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:34:57 PM by Quốc Nghĩa »

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
does anyone have another guide to the leg? I can't seem to access the wiki now and I don't have a guide while watching :(
I can't write it all but this is the main contents:

- Detour:
+ Đánh trống bỏ dùi: Make a drum
+ Đánh trống la làng: Xẩm singing
Xẩm or Hát xẩm (Xẩm singing) is a type of Vietnamese folk music which was popular in the Northern region of Vietnam but is considered nowadays an endangered form of traditional music in Vietnam. In the dynastic time, xẩm was generally performed by blind artists who wandered from town to town and earned their living by singing in common places.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Vietnam#X.E1.BA.A9m

- U- Turn.

- Route info: Cook 12 onion congee pots, after that, each member had to eat a pot, but they had to feed each other.
Famous dish from a famous Vietnam short story: Chi Pheo of author Nam Cao.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%AD_Ph%C3%A8o
Teams have to play as Chi Pheo (males) and Thi No (females)
Each failed pot receives 10 minutes penalty at the Pitstop.

- Route Info: Word arrangement
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:28:28 PM by Quốc Nghĩa »

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »

I didn't like Mimi in season 1 because I thought she was useless, but I really love her this season. She gave her best to carry the wood, she made the right decision in Leg 4 detour but Richie didn't listen and wanted to change (that's why she was so angry and cried in confession). She supported her husband when Richie wanted to give up the Detour in leg 5 because he realized that the amount of money in this leg is too much, 1,200,000 VND. It's great to see Mimi like this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:41:14 AM by Quốc Nghĩa »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »
Oh, do we have a location for the congee task? I thought I had it, but I actually don't.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
Bá Kiến's house at Đại Hoàng village, hamlet 11, Ḥa Hậu commune, Lư Nhân district, Hà Nam province.

Bá Kiến is a character in Chi Pheo short story.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:52 PM »
thanks Quoc Nghia! ^_^

but actually I LOVED Useless Mimi back in TARV1; I just also love that now she decided to step it up too <3 it'll be absolutely tragic if they leave early (at least they already beat out their old placing <3)
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 12:11:10 AM »
Okay, I really failed today hahaha. I keep thinking things are locations when they're not locations. Which temple is the Chinese character task at in Nam Dinh?

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 12:22:58 AM »
Phủ Dầy Temple at Kim Thái commune, Vụ Bản district, Nam Định province.

what was the woman's erhu-like instrument and the drums called?

It is an erhu (Đàn nhị in Vietnamese), drums are just drums.  :grins:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »
You guys are awesome, thanks!

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »
Song Ngư's real name: Phạm Thị Diễm Chi.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
3 legs in a row without Roadblock.  :o

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Worst legs. Most of the challenge were so boring.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
Tien Dat has a bossy attitude and Huong Giang is such a b*tch. Criss, you made a good decision to break up with her, you deserve better.

@paradox: I think Tuong challenge was great.   :<3
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:26:17 AM by Quốc Nghĩa »

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Tien Dat has a bossy attitude and Huong Giang is such a b*tch. Criss, you made a good decision to break up with her, you deserve better.

@paradox: I think Tuong challenge was great.   :<3

Yes but the judge were so kind compared to Hat Xam task. That made the Detour so unbalance. And Green will be in top until the end. They were in the back most of the leg then bump, physical task

Offline doctor.nguyencaonhan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
I think the 30-minute penalty is so long for Pink Team. It is not a big mistake. Compared to the 5-minute penalty on the 1st leg of season 2, it is not suitable at all! :(

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 01:52:29 AM »
Well that was....kind of weird. What was with this episode? It didn't feel like a TAR episode. Kinda felt like a romantic adventure movie, with the sad, somber music and the really slow pace. So weeeeeeird... And yeah wtf, are Roadblocks just extinct now?

Where did the two Detours take place? Do we have place names? Also, what was the pink penalty for?

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 03:37:23 AM »
Well that was....kind of weird. What was with this episode? It didn't feel like a TAR episode. Kinda felt like a romantic adventure movie, with the sad, somber music and the really slow pace. So weeeeeeird... And yeah wtf, are Roadblocks just extinct now?

Where did the two Detours take place? Do we have place names? Also, what was the pink penalty for?

Kite Detour was at February 3rd Park. Tuồng Detour was right in Huế Castle, I think. Pink's penalty was for Huong Giang forgot to wear chef hat during preparing food.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »
My hometown is Hue city so I was really excited to watch this episode. I like the idea of the producer, they wanted to show different side of Hue. When someone thinks of Hue, they will think about the buildings of Nguyen dynasty. But beside that, Hue has beautiful natural sight-seeing and the ecomony developed quite well. However, I think the tasks haven't delivered it yet and this episode becomes boring, so they focus on bickering stuffs to make it more exciting.

- Detour: Tuồng challenge: Trường Sanh Palace

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
I never get tired of seeing Huế.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
Episode 5 - Thua Thien Hue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9GLdk-zwo

Episode 6 Teaser - Phu Yen

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H2kXMDn3uxY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H2kXMDn3uxY</a>