Author Topic: best penalty for team finished last in non-elimination legs  (Read 3237 times)

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
best penalty for team finished last in non-elimination legs
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
I think the best penalty for team is Marked for pit-start (team departed 30 minutes later than proposed time), in most legs with air  or train travel or the in legs with Hours of Operations, these penalties will be nullified and their teams have  a larger chance to survive. If this penalty were applied from S19
TAR 19 Leg 2 Bill & Cathy survived
Leg 5 Liz & Marie still booted in Thailand
Leg 7 Amani & Marcus still survived in Malawi 2, unless they missed the bus
TAR 20 (nothing changed) (Mopper survived leg 5 in Germany but still ended in India 2)
TAR 21 Josh & Brent survived in Turkey, Jabba still lost passport in Russia, in leg 11 without losing a precious time of speed bump, Nana have a chance to survive
TAR 22 Two possible cases occured
Max & Katie survived leg 7, nothing changed later, the air travel in leg 10 nullified Mona & Beth's penalty
Pam & Winnie survived leg 7, the asian girls replaced Maxie in F3
TAR 23 Nicky & Kim still got U-turned and booted in abu Dhabi 2, Leo & Jamal without speed bump have a chance to survive

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:24:58 PM by toanglobal »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Re: best penalty for team finished last in non-elimination legs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:27:16 AM »
Speed bump has always been the best kind of penalty IMO. Sure, there have been some really misbalanced ones (when compared to other speed bumps), with the ice-cream eating in S21 instantly popping into my head. But overall, the IDEA seems like the most fair and also provides us with an additional task in a couple of legs each season, so yay
:conf:

I'd also like to mention, that I enjoyed the ("handicap"?) idea of both team members performing the Roadblock. In TAR27 India, when Tanner & Josh had this penalty, though, it was extremely misbalanced. But oftentimes the Roadblock takes much less time to complete and TAR have to work on their leg design anyway :grins:

I think the best penalty for team is Marked for pit-start (team departed 30 minutes later than proposed time), in most legs with air  or train travel or the in legs with Hours of Operations, these penalties will be nullified and their teams have  a larger chance to survive.
So that makes this kind of penalty bad & useless, no? ???

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
How about having both a Marked For Elimination penalty and a Speedbump? (Read the idea in a fanfic, and I like it.) It's quite deadly :lol: but if the teams can get through both obstacles, then they have proven themselves to the world that they deserve to race farther than that.

The Cowboys from TAR16 and Brooke & Robbie from TAR25 would be 2 examples of surviving teams if this was ever the case.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »
From my ranking of these penalties worst(6) to best(1):
6) Stripped of all carry-ons + no cash
5) No penalty
4) Stripped of all carry-ons
3) Automatic U-Turn
2) Speed Bump
1) Marked for elimination's 30 minute penalty

I would preferably like to see marked for elimination return because it is lighter on the show's budget and it will motivate teams to race as hard as they can to get 1st. Though I like a handful of Speed Bumps like Kynt & Vyxsin's yoga session, Maria & Tiffany serving pho to a dock attendant, and Gary & Mallory fueling their motorcycle in Leichtenstein. Those take a decent amount of time to complete and can be shown creatively. Some are just a big miss like more recent ideas: Tanner & Josh's dual Roadblock, TAR26's llama license, and Caroline & Jennifer carrying stuff to a place.

Marked for elimination throws a punch, is simple, and pushes a sense of urgency.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:21 AM »
I feel like for the show, Speedbumps are the fairest and most exciting NEL penalty manily because the others suck more then it.

* If you are striping them of clothes/money then it doesn't look good on the shows part forcing Americans to beg for money and clothes in poorer countries.
* If you give them no penalty then that is unfair to the other teams that there is no negative effect for the team that preformed poorly and should be eliminated.
* Auto U-Turns/Double Roadblocks would too unfair as in most cases they would be a race death sentence.
* Marked for Elimination is from a game perspective good but it tends to be rather boring in exicution. While you can get some suspense/excitement from a Marked for Elimination penalty if there is one or two teams on the course and you get a bit of "who will be eliminated?" suspense. However most of the time the marked team will finish last again where their penalty is pointless or will arrive middle of the pack but obviousily survive elimination.

Hence Speedbump is the only penalty that make sence to me. They are doing somthing (as opposed to MFE penalty), they are not begging in poor countries (as opposed to the striping of belongsing/cash penalty) and it is both easily overcome-able and yet just as easily could be what costs them the game (as opposed to the U-Turn/Double RB penalty) and the show gets to show off another element of the location. Hence, it's an effective fair penalty that is good for TV. There is a reason that it has been used since TAR12 and it because it's the penalty that best works.

However, in an ideal world I would hope that future seasons of TAR have 12 teams, go for 11 episodes and they eliminate a team most episode (with the exception of one TBC episode) until finale.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:57:28 AM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
in Era of begging money (US season 5 to 9, Asia season 1) most team who faced penalty survived, conversely these are very few teams could survive MFE penalty

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »
I like the lack of one personally. I'm fine with a "Woah, I lucked out there. I probably won't be that lucky next time." scare.

Marked for Elimination is also one I like. The thing is, the leg needs to be designed with that in mind. Almost every time in the US version there was a bunching right before the pitstop on those legs, so of course the person's going to be eliminated. However, in foreign versions MFE I think has been more successful in that it doesn't eliminate the teams.

Of course, the best penalty isn't even on the US version. The Norwegian version had a great penalty called the "Handicap". It changed depending on the leg. One leg someone has to go walk down a trail and grab something before they can go to the pitstop, another time a team has to make 75 dung patties rather than the 50 the others have to make, a team has to carry two things in a task rather than one.

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
in Era of begging money (US season 5 to 9, Asia season 1) most team who faced penalty survived, conversely these are very few teams could survive MFE penalty

MFE
TAR10: David & Mary (India-Kuwait), David & Mary (Mauritius-Madagascar), BQ (Morocco-Spain)
TAR11: Uchenna & Joyce (Mozambique-Tanzania), Eric & Danielle (HK-Macau), Oswald & Danny (Macau-Guam)

So it's 50:50 actually, similar result to Speedbum. If they cannot come up with great Speedbum, MFE could work in some extent.