Author Topic: TAR - originally planned as an EIGHT-team race?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
TAR - originally planned as an EIGHT-team race?
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
I don't know if anyone else on RFF has stumbled upon this world wide web history site before, Wayback Machine, (or if anyone else has commented about this) but I found supporting info about this revelation. I was scrolling through Facebook and clicked on a shared post that featured a CNN story on Wayback. The archive site can go to any website from any date as long as it is saved. So I was curious... and typed in CBS's website and started in the early saved pages before I found this excerpt.
 :trampb:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001109104500/http://cbs.com/
CBS Summer Global Adventure Series
Next summer on CBS, sixteen real people in teams of two will set out on a worldwide quest. The first team to finish the race will take home One Million Dollars! Apply Here!
So TAR was originally planned to have EIGHT teams? :ascared

Thoughts on it? Did you already know of this? Or am I just 16 years late just to find it?
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR - originally planned as an EIGHT-team race?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
I have never seen this! What a great treasure!!

Thanks for finding this!!   :luvya:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
Hahaha...Some international versions have done eight teams. It doesn't work. Repeat: IT DOESN'T WORK
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
 :snicker: Cool find, Rachel.  :yess:

Just for giggles and grins, I put in RFF's forum URL to see what the Wayback Machine would find.

:funny:  What a surprise, it's got RFF (partially) archived way back to 2003.  Look's like Rob single handedly kept the TAR forum going for the first two years, with not much if any spoiling.  Things turned around in 2005 when spoiling was the order of the day, and still is today.  Not all the pages are archived, but it's funny seeing the old member postings (and names).  It truly was another era back then.

I laughed out loud at Rob's 2003 forum topic "The Future of TAR".   :grins:  If only he knew back then what we know now.   :waves:

Try it yourselves, just go to       http://archive.org/web  and enter the RFF forum URL http://forum.realityfanforum.com  then select the year and go "back to the future".

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
I laughed out loud at Rob's 2003 forum topic "The Future of TAR".   :grins:  If only he knew back then what we know now.   :waves:.
:funny: The rage over season 4 and particularly Monica & Sheree. I forgot how Jon & Al were kind of getting a lavish "Jet & Cord fan-base" treatment back then. I can only imagine how harsh the dish for the current "social media star" season would be.

RFF's design looked so different back then.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
Most of all of that is available in the archives here as well! Attached photos were sadly frequently deleted though....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
In an interview, Joe & Bill said they were told during the casting process that nine teams would be chosen to compete in the first season. Funny how things changed in S1 :lol:
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
I would not be surprised if that was sort of inspired form Survivor (given that they had 16 people on the first few seasons)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:07:22 AM »
I'm glad we have usually 11 teams then. :lol: The more teams, the merrier. :conf: