Author Topic: TAR 28 Ratings  (Read 34575 times)

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 28 Ratings
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »
Back to 1.1 but almost 6 million viewers :( If it adjusts up it might tie #1 for its timeslot
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-friday-ratings-2-19-2016.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:09:31 AM by bottle »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Rachel, just a remider, the key here is how many additional eyeballs CBS picks up on all platforms within 7 days after broadcast. Nielsen has quit reporting live plus three after live plus same day.

Live plus seven day is what counts. And until we hear some number to show how much it is happening this season, it would be difficult to make judgments like that. All I've seen is that TAR tends to pick up around 50% in the demo and a but more in the total audience, both of which would be about where TAR was 5 years/10 seasons ago or more. Given the overall deterioration and fragmentation of the broadcast nets overall numbers with cable, alternative platforms and other (streaming and download) holding those numbers with live plus 7 puts TAR ahead of the pattern, and not behind.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
Wiki is focused on the overnights and live plus same days. The media is. but the networks and the advertisers aren't. CBS for instance is monetizing the On Demand service on cable by including all of the commercials that ran on air during the episode, even the network promos for shows that ran that night before the episode even became accessible on demand.

So those eyeballs will get counted at live plus 7 and live plus 30. CBS apparently is doing the same thing on its CBS All-Access as well. (Think about what this means, please.) And the only way to avoid commercials to to use Amazon or I-Tunes to buy the episodes singly or as a season pass. (And CBS makes money on that too.

No, they're not going to shoot a gift horse in the mouth now that the figured out how to get commercials in and use it to get advertisers to buy time. Keep those things in mind.

Note: This was originally in the scheduling thread and without that context, this loses some meaning from not being with the immediately preceding posts about scheduling this season compared to last spring. Just an fyi for those who are confused about what led to this post.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:02:31 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
If you average the 2 ABC shows, Dr. Ken pulled them down enough that TAR squeaked out a narrow 1st place in the 8-9 PM time slot.  :yess:

I'm not sure it works that way though.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
Final Rattings are in: No adjustment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/22/friday-final-ratings-feb-19-2016/
Those aren't "final" thats live plus seven that are "final."
That's just the live with the same day adjustment.
-- theschnauzers

Offline doctor.nguyencaonhan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/27/tv-ratings-friday-feb-26-2016/

Tied with Last Man Standing for #1 but with less viewers...

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
This week ratings: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-friday-ratings-2-26-2016.html

Welcome  :wel2 doctor.nguyencaonhan

By the way half hours were 1.1. and 1.0. so hopefully it won't adjust down :(

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
A 1.3 was the highest rating of the night, so hopefully CBS doesn't take too much issue with a 1.1 rating. Not a bad result if they can hold that level this season. Been relatively stable since starting on Fridays.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
Rachel, just a remider, the key here is how many additional eyeballs CBS picks up on all platforms within 7 days after broadcast. Nielsen has quit reporting live plus three after live plus same day.

Live plus seven day is what counts. And until we hear some number to show how much it is happening this season, it would be difficult to make judgments like that. All I've seen is that TAR tends to pick up around 50% in the demo and a but more in the total audience, both of which would be about where TAR was 5 years/10 seasons ago or more. Given the overall deterioration and fragmentation of the broadcast nets overall numbers with cable, alternative platforms and other (streaming and download) holding those numbers with live plus 7 puts TAR ahead of the pattern, and not behind.
Alrighty, got it. Thanks, schnauzers! :tup:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »
Final Rattings are in: No adjustment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/22/friday-final-ratings-feb-19-2016/
Those aren't "final" thats live plus seven that are "final."
That's just the live with the same day adjustment.
Sorry. I was just going off the title of the article.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
I just needed to chime in here with the comparison that the show's ratings are in line  with where they were 5 years ago. That is simply not true. Season 18 averaged around a 2.5-2.9 rating in the demo (same day rating, and DVR gains were still a factor back then as well).

The current season is averaging about a 1.2 rating. I'm not privy to exactly how the first 2 episodes performed in Live+7, but it didn't show up in the top 25, so it wasn't more than a 0.6 gain. So definitely less than a 2.0 total rating, as opposed to probably around a 3.0 rating after DVR numbers 5 years ago, or at least a 33% decline.

To be fair, that is very common in today's age. All shows that were on 5 years ago have experienced drops, from Survivor to Greys anatomy.  And while it's true that internet streaming is more of a factor than it was 5 years ago, it's such a miniscule portion of the market. Same day ratings (technically C+3 ratings) are still the primary source of paying the bills, as well as sponsorships.  I think we'll be fine for seasons 29 and 30 at our current levels. CBS has bigger problems to worry about.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
I just needed to chime in here with the comparison that the show's ratings are in line  with where they were 5 years ago. That is simply not true. Season 18 averaged around a 2.5-2.9 rating in the demo (same day rating, and DVR gains were still a factor back then as well).

The current season is averaging about a 1.2 rating. I'm not privy to exactly how the first 2 episodes performed in Live+7, but it didn't show up in the top 25, so it wasn't more than a 0.6 gain. So definitely less than a 2.0 total rating, as opposed to probably around a 3.0 rating after DVR numbers 5 years ago, or at least a 33% decline.

To be fair, that is very common in today's age. All shows that were on 5 years ago have experienced drops, from Survivor to Greys anatomy.  And while it's true that internet streaming is more of a factor than it was 5 years ago, it's such a miniscule portion of the market. Same day ratings (technically C+3 ratings) are still the primary source of paying the bills, as well as sponsorships.  I think we'll be fine for seasons 29 and 30 at our current levels. CBS has bigger problems to worry about.

Definitely agree with this statement. :tup:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 11:15:08 PM »
TheRabbi, the only way we will know for certain is when we get to see live plus seven, or even live plus 30 data. If you read what I've said, I have consistently pointed to live plus seven as showing basically no change, especially with all the alternate viewing platforms taken into account.

Y'all insist on playing around with the shorter time frame numbers, while the advertisers and the networks have moved on to live plus seven and CBS has moved on to live plus 30, and for new shows projections as to live plus 30. That is why shows are rarely being cancelled after a very few weeks, instead the networks are using initial and extended season orders especially for first seasons to kill off poor performers without "cancelling" them, and why shows starting to fade get shortened season orders and unfavorable time slots. (Example Person of Interest, which has yet to be set for a season premiere for a 13-episode order, and for which CBS had promised would premiere before the end of the spring season, i.e., May sweeps. A virtual impossibility at this point.)

Don't forget TAR makes money for CBS from its production costs, its overall revenue, including the syndication fees for the show worldwide, and it wouldn't surprise me if the show is whlly funded between placement fees from advertisers and the international syndication fees. This explains Survivor and Big Brother's survival while American Idol is dying.
-- theschnauzers

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 11:33:59 PM »
Y'all insist on playing around with the shorter time frame numbers, while the advertisers and the networks have moved on to live plus seven and CBS has moved on to live plus 30, and for new shows projections as to live plus 30.

This is not necessarily true. Look at the following CBS Shows: (All examples of the past 5 years)

-Angel From Hell (Yanked from the schedule after 5 episodes)
-NYC 22 (Cancelled after 4 episodes)
-Made in Jersey (Cancelled after 2 episodes and yanked from the schedule)
-We Are Men (Cancelled after 2 episodes)
-The Millers (Cancelled 4 episodes into Season Two)
-The McCarthys (Cancelled after 11 episodes and yanked from the schedule)
-Friends With Better Lives (Cancelled after 5 episodes)
-Battle Creek (Cancelled after 9 episodes)

I would say that CBS definitely still tracks Live and factors that. DVR means something, but it's not that heavy on weight, as live still matters the most.

To paraphrase from the TV Grim Reaper/Cancellation Bear:
"DVR + X do not f***ing matter."

This explains Survivor and Big Brother's survival while American Idol is dying.

The irony is American Idol is pulling much better numbers than Survivor and BB despite being cancelled, both Live and DVR.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/ratings-news-5th-march-2016.html

Last Man Standing wasn't on so we won the timeslot.

Weirdly, we are as flat as last week with a 1.1 and 5.78 million viewers. EXACTLY THE SAME.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
Wasn't it 5.69 last week? Not that it really matters, just not exactly the same. :grins: :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/ratings-news-5th-march-2016.html

Last Man Standing wasn't on so we won the timeslot.

Weirdly, we are as flat as last week with a 1.1 and 5.78 million viewers. EXACTLY THE SAME.

What is interesting is that the TAR lead in kept CBS on top for the whole night even with both those shows being ReRuns.  :yess:

Last Man Standing was on but also a rerun, right?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »
TheRabbi, the only way we will know for certain is when we get to see live plus seven, or even live plus 30 data. If you read what I've said, I have consistently pointed to live plus seven as showing basically no change, especially with all the alternate viewing platforms taken into account.

I've absolutely read what you've been saying, I just respectfully disagree.  There has been a sizable change.  Have you seen Live + 7 numbers for the season 28 premiere yet? (I'm genuinely asking and curious, I'm not trying to be a dick).  I saw the top 25 listing, and TAR wasn't on there, which means it had to have gained 0.6 or less, from its 1.3 premiere Live + same day.  So either, way, it's less than a 2.0 Live + 7 rating.  As I noted further up, 5 years ago the show was routinely doing 2.5's - 2.9's in the same day ratings.  DVR's existed back then as well, so while I don't have the +7 numbers for 5 years ago either, I'm just taking a very conservative estimate and saying we may have averaged a 3.0 Live +7 rating 5 years ago, compared to less than a 2.0 rating now, which is a significant dip.

I'm also curious and/or worried about Ford dropping their sponsorship.  No mentions in TAR27 or thus far in 28.  That had to be a decent revenue stream for the show, so maybe Ford wasn't happy with the results and/or portrayal.  Losing sponsors is a sure path to eventual demise of a show.  They did get Fitbit as a sponsor for 26 and 27 at least, though I haven't heard it mentioned yet this season.

Those "alternate viewing platforms" you mention are such a miniscule portion of the market that it doesn't put a big dent into how networks make their dollars. Internet streaming is counted by the hundreds or thousands.  Television viewers are counted by the millions.  The online market is certainly there (and slowly growing), but TV ad revenue is where the majority of the bills are paid, and that is still primarily Live Commercial ratings.

Live plus 30 is even less relevant.  If movie companies are advertising the weekend's new release during the show, they don't care who is seeing that ad 30 days from now when the movie is already gone.  Ads are meant to be seen immediately for their effect.  Networks keep promoting these numbers, since they are obviously the highest numbers they have, including everyone that has watched the program to that point, but advertisers are still sticklers for the smaller window of the first few days.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
... DVR's existed back then as well, so while I don't have the +7 numbers for 5 years ago either, I'm just taking a very conservative estimate and saying we may have averaged a 3.0 Live +7 rating 5 years ago, compared to less than a 2.0 rating now, which is a significant dip.

I'm also curious and/or worried about Ford dropping their sponsorship.  No mentions in TAR27 or thus far in 28.  That had to be a decent revenue stream for the show, so maybe Ford wasn't happy with the results and/or portrayal.  Losing sponsors is a sure path to eventual demise of a show.  They did get Fitbit as a sponsor for 26 and 27 at least, though I haven't heard it mentioned yet this season.

The change from Sunday to Friday accounts for a lot of that dip.

I am also worried about sponsors. If we were to lose Travelocity we would be dead. FitBit was a good 'fit" and gave us some good tasks, sad to see it not around again. Where is the selfies stick sponsor? ???. We could REALLY use a bank credit card tie-in aka TARCanada. Really nice to see REI last night! We had some online ads from LLBean last season, not seeing them now either, their clothing would have been a great tie-in. REI could supply some cold weather gear, will be interesting to see if we see anything in the Chamonix leg.

Ford I heard was not so happy with its cars being made to look bad/difficult to drive by racers who were unable to drive stick. (Hence the quotes from 27 racers about them being bugged by production to take lessons etc). But also heard that the change also happened at a time of a big Ford International reorganization/belt tightening which may have severely limited available sponsor funds...so who knows. In any case, it was a HUGE loss to us, and the tasks it generated, and the prizes offered as well. I miss them. (and Snapple, they were awesome!!)

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
No thanking all our lucky stars!!

#gnomelove
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
Mention of all the alternate viewing streams in the US market is because that is what Nielsen is now including in the plus 30 data (it has said this in press releases) and because ultimately that is what the network is looking at. The few times I have seen plus seven data reported, it has shown a 50 percent increase over live plus same day data where TAR is concerned. Live plus thirty simplu hasn't been reported, but it stands to reason those would be higher numbers.

As to sponsorships. Ford underwent a major world-wide reorganization/consolidation and they haven't been doing a lot of advertising on US television at all. GM has, and Chysler/Fiat has, but Ford not so much unless it is local dealer advertising. Travelocity took a timeout, apparently. No advertising and fewer prizes than in past seasons. And we haven't seen any Fitbit advertising this season either. CBS keeps saying it is getting completely dols out advertiers after the May upfronts every year the past several years, so it is hard to figure what is going on. Maybe the advertisers just don't like Friday nights?
-- theschnauzers

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 10:45:23 PM »
I would say that our chances would be definitely better if we went back to Sundays. Friday is a weak, weak night.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
Travelocity was alive and well for us this week!!
RFF's Golden Rule: