Author Topic: S32: Tai Trang (Beauty)  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
S32: Tai Trang (Beauty)
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
Tai Trang

Name (Age): Tai Trang (51)

Tribe Designation: Beauty

Current Residence: San Francisco

Personal Claim to Fame: Being a part of the AIDS Life Cycle ride for the past 13 years. A 545-miles, 7-day camping and bicycle ride from SF to LA to benefit HIV and AIDS services. In total, I’ve raised over $75,000 for the LA LGBT Center and SF AIDS Foundation. I love this grueling, but fun, mental and physical challenging experience.

Inspiration in Life: My parents. They worked so hard to provide for 11 of my siblings. During and after the Vietnam war, we were so poor, we had to eat plain rice with soy sauce for months. Somehow they managed to get us all on a fishing boat to escape Communism and luckily we all survived 11 days on the open ocean. In an Indonesian refugee camp, my mom made and sold one cookie at a time to earn extra money for her children. They are the ones that taught me self-reliance and my mom always reminds me “If you have health and both hands, you can never go to sleep cold or hungry.”

Hobbies: Planning dinner parties, cooking for friends and keeping bees. I am fascinated by the colony’s social structures. I also enjoy reading and discussing fiction in our book club.

Pet Peeves: Foodies, double parked cars and lazy people.

3 Words to Describe You: Energetic, resourceful and competitive.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? Coffee-my life necessity, I grew up loving Vietnamese coffee since I was 3 years old; a razor- I like to shave my head and face to feel young (a survival must) and clean; “The Windup Bird Chronicle,” it’s a surreal Japanese fiction that would relax me.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Spencer, I like his positive spirit and determination to survive in given situations, and Bob Crowley, because we’re both older, nice, likable players with non-threatening demeanors who work hard.

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: Definitely, the fun of testing my ability to survive in harsh conditions, pushing my body physically and mentally to the fullest. I would love to compete in challenges against younger, stronger or bigger players to prove that size and age does not matter in this game. I believe in playing a good social game, and the nice guy always can win in the end. Also, to win the million dollars!

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR: As a gardener and fishermen, I have the outdoor skills to build shelter, climb trees, forage for food, fish and dive. I am a vegetarian but I will harvest sea life for the tribe if it keeps me in the game. I will be useful and work hard at camp. I’m physically fit and will help win challenges. Being the middle child of 11 kids, I know how to get along and be the peacemaker. I can share my childhood war stories to pass time and charm people while bringing good spirit and harmony to the tribe.

Why You Think You Will Be the Sole SURVIVOR: Growing up poor and without many of life’s comforts, I have the physical and mental stamina to survive in harsh environments. I’m determined and never give up till I get what I’m after. I am short and non-threatening, most people seem to like me and often are drawn to me for whatever reason. I am genuinely nice and will treat everyone well (but don’t cross me, not even once). I will do whatever it takes to become the Sole Survivor. Even though it’ll be difficult and devastating to betray my alliance, my ultimate goal is to win. I want to be a winner that everyone thinks is a little odd, but endearing, who plays a smart and interesting game with some spicy drama.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
Re: S32: Tai Trang (Beauty)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »
I want to like him a lot, but he seems like he'll be a bit clueless on that beauty tribe. Hoping he proves me wrong!
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »
Survivor: Kaoh Rong - Meet Tai Trang

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bcN_SDzI63Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bcN_SDzI63Q</a>

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »
I think he's either out really soon or makes it near the end.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Oh, Vietnames-American, second one after Cowboy?
Why is he in the beauty tribe though? I don't think his appearance is his advantage in real life. Or they mean his beautiful mind/soul/personality???

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
Why is he in the beauty tribe though? I don't think his appearance is his advantage in real life. Or they mean his beautiful mind/soul/personality???

Yeah it's the latter. Beauty comes in all forms <3
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:19:24 AM »

He is a Gardener. So he makes any garden beautiful <3
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline SarcasmMode

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:23:32 AM »
Having read "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" I have no idea how he'd find that book relaxing. It's deliberately written to be confusing and aggravating.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
Maybe it was a deliberate choice

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
Following Episode 1: Tai was likeable in his presentation to his tribemates about his background and how their Cambodian environment was like a homecoming for him. He was charismatic while discussing his desire to protect nature and concocting the leashes for the chickens. His tribemates were privately curious about how he wound up on the "Beauty" tribe. However, whatever good will Tai could have achieved -- already at a disadvantage because of the generational and cultural gap between him and the rest of his tribe -- was lost when he made the cardinal mistake of actively searching for the hidden immunity idol. Anyone who made an early alliance with him is now wary of his intentions.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
Oh, these ones again :lol: :funny:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
The protector of trees <3
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
Tai talking about how much he loves trees then proceeding to uproot the entire jungle looking for the idol is already one of my favourite RTV moments of the year :lol: <3

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
Tai talking about how much he loves trees then proceeding to uproot the entire jungle looking for the idol is already one of my favourite RTV moments of the year :lol: <3

Then he said sorry and replanted them. I do think he went with a right track because those trees look like production's fresh plants.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
Maybe it's forshadowing for future episode!

Offline SarcasmMode

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »

Then he said sorry and replanted them.

Yeahhhhhhh but the apology seemed really tacked on imo.

He was already on the second tree by that point, and he could have dug into the ground at their base without forcibly yanking them out of the dirt. It would've taken way longer and I understand why he didn't due to time constraints, but for a guy who blatantly hid chickens during the marooning and later didn't help retrieve the ones that ran away, (which could have caused some serious tension in the tribe if anybody had made a bigger deal out of it) it seems odd that he'd suddenly abandon principle like that. To me it came across as him suddenly realizing that he was being a huge hypocrite and trying to quickly recover for the cameras more than anything else.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
Following Episode 2: Tai redeemed himself very nicely by smoothly integrating himself in a non-threatening manner within his tribe. His earlier missteps involving the search for the idol appear forgiven. He also managed to find clues that revealed its location, but retrieving it proved to be challenging. He has done everything possible to regain a well-regarded position within his tribe.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
Ahh he's REALLY entertaining!

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »
Following Episode 3: Tai secured the hidden immunity idol, and it remains to be seen whether his tribemates suspect his has found it. Regardless, the empathy he has received might give him safety during any potential first visit his tribe makes to tribal council. His social game continues to impress.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Following Episode 4: Tai voiced concern for being in a gender minority following the unexpected departure of Caleb. He wins over the home viewers for his heartfelt emotional responses and genuine regard for the wellbeing of all living things. He probably does not realize the impending tribal reconfiguration, in which he will have to put forth the same diligent effort to win over new tribemates as he did Caleb. Fortunately, he has the hidden immunity idol and appears ready to use it. The real intrigue will be whether he and Jason from the Brawn tribe wind up together and potentially discuss combining their idols into the so-called "super idol." This appears unlikely, as Tai and Jason appear to be polar opposites in terms of personality, yet Tai was able to bridge that gap with Caleb, and Jason might be relieved to have new tribemates and welcome Tai.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 05:56:47 PM »
Tai Trang (new Gondol, formerly in "Beauty")
Following Episode 5: Tai did everything an underdog must do when facing new opponents in camp. He was as helpful and non-threatening as possible. He demonstrated his worth both as a dedicated worker and all-round good guy, and he did so in a much more significant and genuine way than Alecia did after she escaped elimination at the first tribal council (Darnell's elimination), and Alecia's gestures probably bought her a few more days than she actually deserved. For Tai, he reached out to Scot, the other numerical underdog, and seemed to create a similar working relationship as he did with Caleb. Tai is still in a difficult position based upon the new alignment and being in a physically weaker tribe, but if he can make the merge with Scot and with his idol, so far, he has one of the strongest cases for Sole Survivor. ...How much did the reconfiguration hurt or help Tai's chances (scale of 1 to 10, 1 hurt very much, 10 helped very much)? 4.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
He demonstrated his worth both as a dedicated worker and all-round good guy, and he did so in a much more significant and genuine way than Alecia did after she escaped elimination at the first tribal council (Darnell's elimination), and Alecia's gestures probably bought her a few more days than she actually deserved.
I understand that some people might be Scot/Jason fans and have a full right to, but it simply seems silly to underrate Alecia's best efforts or say that she wasn't genuine...... Her tribemates were the ones not being genuine with all the talking behind her back. And I have no idea what gestures you're talking about.

Anyway, because this is Tai's thread, I wanna say that I hated him a little for not giving the viewers poetic justice by idoling out Peter. :snicker: But he's truly an amazing character and there's no doubt in my head that we'll see him sometime in another season no matter how he does this time around. I expect him to make the final episode though!

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 09:12:02 AM »
Okay but Tai gets backlash for booting Anna when she was throwing him under the bus? That's a red flag for anyone especially if they've been with you all game up to that point. Tai is an invaluable character to this season and I love that both the older people (Tai & Debbie) are getting incredible edits.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
Anna was smart for quickly realizing that it was going to be her or Tai if Gondol went to tribal, and yes she should've thrown Tai under the bus, but not the way she did. Plus Tai already had much more appeal than her.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »
I don't think you need to be smart to realise it's one or the other when in a minority. She didn't play her cards right and paid the price. She had potential nevertheless