Author Topic: TAR Unpopular Opinions  (Read 89190 times)

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
TARCAN6 is worst season of TAR which I've seen and I'm pretty sure TARCAN7'll take its crown.
Even though I love TARUS, I would rather have it cancelled than trashing it by gimmick seasons like TAR26/28/31.

It sounds like someone has yet to watch TARCAN3.

That said, I agree about terminating the American edition due to all the recent/excessive twist-based casts.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
The reason I like early NELs is because it prolongs the race lifetime of early-to-middle boots, so we get to know those teams better. A lot of the early boots feel forgettable due to late NELs.
Also, I'm a fan of legs with more teams racing, as to me THAT is more intense.

Same. I prefer early NEL's rather than being stuck with the same teams for the lasts legs knowing that no one will leave because it's obviously a NEL. For example, I'm watching season 12 and wtf, it's the seventh leg and 7 teams were eliminated without a NEL and that's pretty **** because we lost good teams that could have been saved and now we have 6 legs left with only 5 teams were no one will go until idk when... no thanks.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
A double-edged sword on whichone should bet, because for every subpar season with that sequence (Social Media Edition), there are two stellar ones (Unfinished Business and Australia 2).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #253 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
A double-edged sword on whichone should bet, because for every subpar season with that sequence (Social Media Edition), there are two stellar ones (Unfinished Business and Australia 2).
I guess this also fits this thread: Unfinished Business was the beginning of the decline over the quality of the original show. :(
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

I guess this also fits this thread: Unfinished Business was the beginning of the decline over the quality of the original show. :(

Not sure this is a 1+1=2 case.

Scheduling also changed...the big decline in ratings may have correlated with losing a valued time slot.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »

Scheduling also changed...the big decline in ratings may have correlated with losing a valued time slot.
RachelLeVega was referring to the overall quality of the show, i.e. the editing, tasks, and what not, not quantity.

But I have to disagree, RachelLeVega. TAR 18 still had that charm of the TAR 12-17 seasons (the India episodes still hold up really well IMO).

I think TAR 20 was the last really well-crafted season in terms of editing.

Here's an unpopular opinion: TAR 25 is the worst season in terms of editing. So much footage left out :groan: And it hasn't really gotten better since...

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Agreed, 25's a great season despite its sloppy editing rather than because of it.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »

RachelLeVega was referring to the overall quality of the show, i.e. the editing, tasks, and what not, not quantity.

But I have to disagree, RachelLeVega. TAR 18 still had that charm of the TAR 12-17 seasons (the India episodes still hold up really well IMO).

Here's an unpopular opinion: TAR 25 is the worst season in terms of editing. So much footage left out :groan: And it hasn't really gotten better since...
27's editing was much worse than 25. Remember most of the shining moments of teams (e.g. Kelsey and Joey argue) was found in the extra videos online instead of the actual episode. The only good episode in terms of editing was the Macau one.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
TAR 18 still had that charm of the TAR 12-17 seasons (the India episodes still hold up really well IMO).

Seconding the UB praise, but great editing can't save a crap-tier season like 20 (and 16 to a lesser extent).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »

27's editing was much worse than 25. Remember most of the shining moments of teams (e.g. Kelsey and Joey argue) was found in the extra videos online instead of the actual episode. The only good episode in terms of editing was the Macau one.
The thing that pisses me off with the current editing of the show is how they cut out traveling and pre-destination/location hype scenes because it gave the teams a real sense of character and breathed life to the destinations they were traveling through (as you were mentioning with Kelsey and Joey arguing). Even if the music wasn't too adrenaline pumping, the pioneering and rising seasons still showed the journey aspect of a high-stakes race successfully and memorably. There have been some stand-out episodes of the post-20 seasons, but a majority was because there was some big moment or outside force affecting how the editors had to format the episodes. Leg 2 of TAR17 was straightforward and nothing of team drama, but it still delivered with the thrill of traveling and the race that I still remember fondly and excitedly to this day (Brook's knack to sell sunglasses, Michael managing his own at the sunglasses, the Ghanian women being so random toward the racers, a dude wanting to buy Mallory's entire pad of glasses, the dangerous taxi race between the choir boys and docs for just 7th! and 8th! near the end, and I still remember tearing up for Andie & Jenna's early demise) whereas more recent episodes felt out of tune from the race aspect of the show for omitting small, but very telling moments like these from the broadcast and not showing the journey over the destination. One team I love to mention who got an "unfortunate" edit from this is Kerri & Stacy. On the episodes, they were bubbly and motherly - just that. On the extras, they were a total 180: very outspoken, mechanically smart, and let's just say Brenchel weren't the only ones who disliked Vanessa & Ralph with flying colors.

For me, I prefer when all the teams have their starring moments on the race and not just the several who make it farther than leg 4. I appreciate and love season 16 and 20 more for this reason alone. If you make the show, you deserve to at least have some kind of personality and story arc shown of you and your team which many recent early-eliminated teams, unfortunately, did not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:29:02 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jay33

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
I feel like the editing has gotten worse since TAR 24 (or whatever the last All-Stars was).

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2018, 10:32:12 AM »
25's a great season despite its sloppy editing rather than because of it.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »
I don’t care what the numbers say, Justin & Diana were not a strong team. I wanna see them come back on a Race with nonlinear legs and tons of self driving.

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
Here's one:

I think Family Edition is better than all the TAR Canadas combined.

Gra1162

« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »
Here's one:

IMO its better than TAR CAN 3 & 1

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »
Here's one:

Well, I actually very much like TAR8. So I would definitely choose TAR8 over any TAR Canada season, tbh.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »
I don’t care what the numbers say, Justin & Diana were not a strong team. I wanna see them come back on a Race with nonlinear legs and tons of self driving.

Yes, would they have fared as well on the routes of the recent gimmick seasons?

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2018, 07:12:02 AM »
Here's one:

TARCAN2 and TARCAN4 each have teams as good as the Weavers, so no.

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
I got one: team wretchel is way better in mute
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:24:55 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
Certainly their original appearance, but not their return.

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
wretchel is good team, but when she open her mouth....
in fact BB team are good teams, so competitive and...sneaky, i guess BB is like boot camp for reality show gladiator
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:24:22 PM by Hubickichibi »
Swarm stupidity

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
HaMerotz LaMillion (Seasons 2-) is overrated.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:58:38 PM by NELs »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
So, just curious at this point honestly, is disliking Rachel Reilly an 'unpopular opinion' around here?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
Please do NOT speak for RFF.    :groan:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:51:51 PM by georgiapeach »
Swarm stupidity

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
So, just curious at this point honestly, is disliking Rachel Reilly an 'unpopular opinion' around here?

I would consider her a mixed bag on this site, some people on this forum like her, while others don't.