Author Topic: TAR Unpopular Opinions  (Read 89148 times)

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2018, 02:38:47 AM »
Unpopular opinion - I don't mind celebrities coming on the race.
Yesterday James Corden and Adam Devine posted their race audition clip (Yes, I'm serious ! https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/VIDEO-Watch-Adam-Devine-and-James-Cordens-Amazing-Race-Audition-Tape-20180328)
And honestly, their clip was so funny. They looked really fun and I was like, you know it would be nice to see these two on the race !
And then I go to TARUS' facebook page. Oh. My. GOD. The entire comments section is people saying stuff like "Bring back the normal people," "I miss TAR when we use to have average joes and everyday people." "Stop having celebrities! They look very boring #IHateBBJody"
And I just couldn't. I like the normal people who race, but TAR isn't exclusively a charity show. I actually hated Jessica and Cody on TAR but I don't mind other celebrities !
These people don't understand that in earlier seasons we used to have phenomenal viewership - and s26-s29 our ratings plunged!!!
I was ecstatic when I found out TAR31 would take place but we need to do everything to ensure more seasons come. I honestly don't mind recruiting celebrities (in this case, the celebrities are themselves auditioning.) and if that's a move that brings in more viewers, I'm fine with that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
Celebrity seasons of other shows have been a death knell.

And Corden is NOT even eligible to apply as he is a British citizen.

This is a stunt not an application.

Yes ratings dropped because of the time slots we were in. Celebrities are not the answer. WRP had high hopes for the social media season. And what happened? When a team was eliminated 99% of their fans went with them. I have talked directly with Elise about that...she said they learned a valuable lesson there.

Ugh.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »

Yes ratings dropped because of the time slots we were in. Celebrities are not the answer. WRP had high hopes for the social media season. And what happened? When a team was eliminated 99% of their fans went with them. I have talked directly with Elise about that...she said they learned a valuable lesson there.

Ugh.

but we need to do everything to ensure more seasons come. I honestly don't mind recruiting celebrities (in this case, the celebrities are themselves auditioning.) and if that's a move that brings in more viewers, I'm fine with that.

It's my opinion and I'm fine with celebrities on the race. The crux of my opinion is that I don't insist on people being normal and random, and that I don't mind celebrities on the race. As long as the team:
--> Is funny/ has some level of humor and doesn't take everything way too seriously
--> Isn't outright cutthroat and is willing to do everything including being rude to locals (*sigh* Paul & Steve)
--> Isn't racist/sexist/discriminatory on irrelevant bases
--> Isn't cocky or too arrogant about achievements

I don't give a damn if they are a Z-List celebrity, a drag queen, a coalminer, a cheerleader or WHATEVER, I'm FINE with them racing. I don't demand that they race, but all I'm saying is that don't exclude a person from TAR just because they are a celebrity.

Also, I know that he's a British citizen, which I have even acknowledged on the TAR 31 spec. thread.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
Violet, a celebrity edition wouldn't just happen naturally, i.e. those people don't regularly apply, otherwise I'm sure we'd be seeing all of them make it to the show (with production hoping to gain more attention). If such a season was in the works, it would be all recruits, and that's why most people are saying they'd rather have regular seasons.

Ugh.
Yeah, I think if the social media season didn't work (in terms of bringing in new viewers), then a celebrity edition will not either.
There was already huge backlash from fans who keep asking for more everyday people, so a celebrity edition might drive a big crowd away.
I expected that after S28, some of the personalities' fans who tuned in would continue watching other seasons, and that would boost the shows overall viewership, but there was really no impact.

We'll do best if we just have non-themed seasons for a few cycles.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:52:11 AM by Marionete »

Gra1162

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »
 [/quote]

Agreed! Also hate the twinnies.
[/quote]
I love the twinnies they are funny,carzy and i just love them them being elimnated in TAR 21 totally pissed me off and them being elimnated in all stars just pissed me off even more they could have killed all the task and totally win all stars and could have won both sri lanka legs.

Gra1162

« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »
OK I hate Amy and Maya in s25 in us version (don't judge me) but they to me are like the worst winners in TAR history even worse and josh and brent I just don't get why people like them first they sucked at Philipenes 2 and my maid (who is filipiono) watched the eposide with me and she was complain that philipenes is easy and why are Amy and maya srtuggleing i know its hot in philipenes but seriously should have been elimnated I think phil only allowed them to race in the finals is because amy or maya (I don't know whitch) got hurt at least they are a little better than my most unfravrotie team lyn and karyn 

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
OK I hate Amy and Maya in s25 in us version (don't judge me) but they to me are like the worst winners in TAR history even worse and josh and brent I just don't get why people like them first they sucked at Philipenes 2 and my maid (who is filipiono) watched the eposide with me and she was complain that philipenes is easy and why are Amy and maya srtuggleing i know its hot in philipenes but seriously should have been elimnated I think phil only allowed them to race in the finals is because amy or maya (I don't know whitch) got hurt at least they are a little better than my most unfravrotie team lyn and karyn

How on earth, could you hate Amy and Maya?

Gra1162

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »

How on earth, could you hate Amy and Maya?
They should be ELIMINATED but phil took pity on them and my fav brooke and robbie shouldn't been elimnated grrrrrrrrrr :furious:

Gra1162

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
I don't know why but i hate a lot of teams that people sorta like or like
.sheri and coal (coal only i hate coal only)
.Amy and Maya
.Luke and Margie (don't judge me but i hate margie nothing agianst luke)
.lyn and karyn
.BJ and Tyler
.Erin and Josyln

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2018, 11:52:44 PM »
I’m floored that people still believe that the powers that be change NELs and twists on a whim

Phil didn’t take pity on them, production predetermined that they wanted to add the twist before the race started

They were super lucky with it, but it wasn’t because anyone chose to save them then and there
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:58:39 AM by DavidJunior »

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »
.Amy and Maya
.lyn and karyn
.BJ and Tyler
.Erin and Josyln

BJ and Tyler weren't even popular in this forum, but I get it. Karlyn of Lyn & Karlyn spent the entire race being nasty to everyone.

BTW, was it Amaya's fault that Brooke & Robbie got lost because of LA traffic? I love them both, anyway. Also what about the NEL of Leg 11 of TAR 26?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Gra1162

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
.Amy and Maya
.lyn and karyn
.BJ and Tyler
.Erin and Josyln

BJ and Tyler weren't even popular in this forum, but I get it. Karlyn of Lyn & Karlyn spent the entire race being nasty to everyone.

BTW, was it Amaya's fault that Brooke & Robbie got lost because of LA traffic? I love them both, anyway. Also what about the NEL of Leg 11 of TAR 26?
I didn't watch Tar 26 cause I swore not to watch it after Amy and Maya won but got back when Tvb pearl showed Tar 27 I watched back

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »
.Amy and Maya
.lyn and karyn
.BJ and Tyler
.Erin and Josyln

A fellow fan who didn't like Margie & Luke! So glad to see that. When they U-turned Amanda & Kris, I wasn't very happy. Then the whole fight with Kisha & Jen happened and I just couldn't stand them anymore.

Also, I didn't like Tammy & Victor or Jaime & Cara. I think all the fan favorites from TAR 14 are overrated, and the season itself was overrated as well.

You can imagine, then, that I wasn't happy to see 5 teams returning from TAR 14 in TAR 18. I was especially unhappy when Amanda & Kris were the first team out.

I never liked Louie & Michael. Their weird vendetta against Joe & Heidi started my disliking for them.

I've also never much liked Caroline & Jennifer. It's hard to pinpoint why, exactly, but I think it has something to do with them not seeming to be very competitive.

I found Joey & Meghan to be a most grating/irritating team to watch. I can't stand them.

I also was rooting for Dave & Connor all the way in TAR 24, and was happy to see them win. However, by no means was I a fan of the cast or route of most of that season. Since the cast was so terrible, they were honestly the only team worth rooting for.

Finally, I don't think Leo & Jamal are all that interesting or fun to watch.

As for Lyn & Karlyn, well, I don't think it's unpopular to not like them much. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2018, 01:02:45 AM »
I find Joey annoying.

Meghan is good!

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2018, 01:32:08 AM »
Lyn and Karlyn are one of the best F/F teams the show's ever cast. I personally preferred them over Dustin and Kandice to be honest. These two are underdogs. I think they are overshadowed by the popularity of Dustin and Kandice. I thought the beauty queens were a bit bland. This team was also the first F/F team to make it to the final three of TAR US. Who knew two single moms from Alabama could do such a feat, and to top it all off they did not win any legs prior.

Gra1162

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2018, 02:01:33 AM »
Lyn and Karlyn are one of the best F/F teams the show's ever cast. I personally preferred them over Dustin and Kandice to be honest. These two are underdogs. I think they are overshadowed by the popularity of Dustin and Kandice. I thought the beauty queens were a bit bland. This team was also the first F/F team to make it to the final three of TAR US. Who knew two single moms from Alabama could do such a feat, and to top it all off they did not win any legs prior.
Eye roll Dustin and Kandice = Best f/f ever Lyn and Karyn = A complaining bland f/f

Gra1162

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2018, 02:02:11 AM »
But Lyn is ok Karyn is just damm right mean

Offline DavidJunior

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
I think TAR 14 seems bland/overrated looking back from a post-UB perspective, but I think it deserves more credit than it's been getting recently.

I don't think it was the best decision to include 5 teams from it in UB, and at the expense of teams from TAR 13 (who were frankly more deserving), or from TAR 16 (confused as to why ONLY Jet and Cord were pulled from this season)

BUT, there were plenty of highlights in locations, tasks, and cast.

The cheese rolling task, the Chekhov roadblock, that underwear marathon, and the final surfboard roadblock were some of the standout tasks of the season- most of which have had future tasks based off of these- both directly (Cheese switchback in 22) and indirectly (Bali surfboard task- oddly enough in 22 too).

First visit to Romania- awesome
Spending 2 legs in Siberia- delightful
Rural Southern China- beautiful
Hawaii finish- amazing

Was the overall route a little mediocre? Sure- if you're just looking at the basic map- but, to me, it showed that you can still keep a race interesting despite using 'overused countries' for the majority of the race.

Loved Brad and Victoria, Steve and Linda, and Amanda and Kris- was sad to see them go so early.  Mel and Mike were a treasure, and though I don't think they fit the bill for Unfinished Business, I loved their overall attitude/demeanor in both seasons.  Margie and Luke were a perfect 'villainous' team- willing to play hardball, and scheme in order to get ahead.  Kisha and Jen, to me at least were inspirational (I think that mostly came from spoilers, and them lasting all the way until the end, despite our not really seeing much evidence of them past Austria).

And finally the natural drama of the season, due to the circumstances teams faced and the competitiveness of the cast, was some of the best.  The hang-gliding roadblock in leg 2, and whether teams chose to wait for the wind to die down or run down the mountain, Brad and Victoria's flight issues saving Tammy and Victor with their leg 3 meltdown, the infamous u-turns, Margie passing out in Thailand, the infamous scuffles in Guilin, Jen having to overcome her fear of water with two water-based options in the first Beijing detour, and all of the different races to the pitstop- from leg 1, all the way to bathroom-gate in leg 11.

This season was entertaining from start to finish, with the top 9 teams all being legitimately competitive (some of which surprisingly so), and it proved that the race could still feel exciting and fresh for years to come, even if we were to run out of new locations.

And that concludes why I have the seemingly unpopular opinion of viewing S14 as one of the stronger seasons (and that it has become underrated recently).

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
I'm really surprised Carol & Brandy weren't called for UB, they were iconic imo.
And I'm of the unpopular upinion that, well.... I loved them :cmaslol They were in my top 3 favorite teams from TAR16.

The Romanian leg was amazing, btw, and it's one of my top countries to give a second visit to. There's plenty to see and do there!
The Siberian legs were also AWESOME, my favorite legs in Russia along with the ones from TAR17.

Your post actually made me feel very nostalgic towards Kisha & Jen, too.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
Unpopular opinion: everyone really hates on the entirety of TAR 24 but I actually really liked the Detours in Kuala Lumpur. The roadblock was dull and I wasn't too fond of the flight between the roadblock and detour, but I think the detours were great. The DJ detour was easily going to be difficult for anyone without a sense of rhythm (speaking from experience), and the cocktail pyramid was just straight torture. Also I really liked the Roadblock in Wales and the second Italian roadblock.

Other than that, I agree that 24 wasn't great.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
That Mix Master or Master Mix detour was my favorite thing about TAR24. Not only did the tasks deliver, but there was plenty of natural, compelling drama as well.
If I were to ever make a list of favorite tasks/detours, it would definitely be up there with my favorites. And that might be biased, as I didn't like much about TAR24, but I still loved both of those tasks. Them being on a night leg helped a lot, too.

Another thing about TAR24, I remember during airing everyone was bashing the balloon shaving Roadblock in Spain, but I really loved it?? Fun, weird, and hard!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »
I never really had much of a problem with Carol & Brandy and was annoyed, but didn't dislike Brent & Caite (who I feel had a lot of potential, but was never realized). But watching the Seychelles Leg for the first time in a long time recently, I have a much more positive view of both teams. Carol & Brandy were a solid team and they filled the "bickering couple" role for the season. Their feud with Brent & Caite was meh, but it didn't feel forced or contrived like a lot of the drama in recent seasons.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
I still can't believe they visited Kota Kinabalu over Melbourne :res:

I liked the winners of TAR 24, but everything else was ergh, yuck.

Gra1162

« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:43 AM »
I still can't believe they visited Kota Kinabalu over Melbourne :res:

I liked the winners of TAR 24, but everything else was ergh, yuck.
Oopostie of you I HATE HATE HATE THE WINNERS the rest of the cast was meh fine but i also hate joey and meghan and twinnes gets voted of first totally ruined that season for me  :groan:

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:21 AM »
I never really had much of a problem with Carol & Brandy and was annoyed, but didn't dislike Brent & Caite (who I feel had a lot of potential, but was never realized). But watching the Seychelles Leg for the first time in a long time recently, I have a much more positive view of both teams. Carol & Brandy were a solid team and they filled the "bickering couple" role for the season. Their feud with Brent & Caite was meh, but it didn't feel forced or contrived like a lot of the drama in recent seasons.

Tru.
I have a love hate relationship w/ Carol and Brandy. I mean I love serial-bickerer couples and it was so nice to see a lesbian couple on TAR. They were pretty funny/sassy and a strong FF. But what I didn't like was the fact that they bullied Caite. I mean, Caite was kind of an airhead, but they kept mocking her for it, which I didn't like that much.
The drama in recent seasons is super contrived. We haven't had any milestones or dramatic moments that all of us remember from previous seasons. You look at Flo in season 3 ? Dieselgate. Frickin iconic. Brenchel vs. Vanessa & Ralph? Made season 20 flippin' amazing. TAR 30's drama? Just Jessica attacking Evan for not giving her the entire answers to the detour.