Author Topic: Spoiling the Race  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Spoiling the Race
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »
As another filming cycle comes close to an end, I wanted to reflect upon the long way that spoiling has come in the past 14 years. We've spent 27 seasons talking about the show; let's take some time to talk about ourselves! (Do chip in with your stories!)

Simple beginnings

Spoiling the race was a natural consequence of TAR following in the footsteps of Survivor. Out of the spoiling boards at SurvivorBlows (then a rival board to SurvivorSucks) was birthed TheAmazingRaceSucks, where fans first noticed Frank diving into ice water in the TAR 1 opening sequence, meaning he and Margarita were safe... pretty much until the end when the race hit Alaska.

From then on the cat-and-mouse game between production and spoiler-hungry fans began. TAR 2 revamped the opening sequence so that it revealed no secrets; instead the attention of fans turned from spoiling the boot order (something Survivor spoilers focused on) to spoiling the route. And this was when I made my very first post, as an excited 13-year-old seeing Tiantan Buddha (I'm from Hong Kong) appear for a split-second in the opening sequence. In the days before TAR was popular and documented by passers-by around the world, we had no clue what the route might be before the season started airing!

Using brains

I joined RFF in TAR 9, scouring the rooftops of Sao Paulo for helipads that matched the season preview, just about the time Google Earth was starting to become mainstream. The next few seasons were the golden age of spoiling. We used every clue: weather forecasts, photo EXIF data, shadows, flight schedules to figure out which teams were where and when. Chateau famously can calculate the time by examining a lady's... hmm. We were even featured on the Toronto Star for our work on the Moscow leg in TAR 13!

Coming up next: Conflict and drama! RFF vs Sucks, elitism, Ms Alli, and grave mistakes spilling into real life!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Spoiling the Race
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Sure, I'll chime in to this retrospective.  But first let's give credit to the one person who started this whole TAR "spoiling" at RFF, namely "Puddin".  To the newbies (and veterans alike) who know nothing of this stellar detective/moderator I suggest a walk through the archived TAR seasons to see just how the "detectives" gleaned their information.  Puddin was also a great cheerleader, encouraging the team with many a late night session before the next episode aired.  FYI, it was Puddin who coined the title "TAR Detective" (based on a reason known to a select few veterans) which was assigned to RFF members who distinguished themselves "spoiling" the show at RFF.  I wear the title proudly from the first day it was presented to me.

I believe my first season spoiling at RFF was Season 8, after being recruited from another reality board by Puddin herself.  I believe Chateau, Slowhatch, and G-Man were already members when I joined, along with a handfull of talented and dedicated TAR fans.  It's inconceivable that social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram were not available at the time, and if I'm not mistaken, the primary clue source was the 15-second preview at the end of the prior episode broadcast by CBS.  Yes, it's crazy to think you could decipher a location, let alone tasks and pit stops from  such a meager source.  Also, the "intro flash" at the start of every episode was invaluable in determining a possible route around the world.

Personal web blogs was the only way of knowing where racers traveled, months after the fact.  Those days are thankfully over with the flood of information available to today's fan.  The fans are now worldwide and RFF gets write-ups in various publications including high-tech blogs such as C-NET.

But enough of this walk down memory lane and let me just say that regardless of how much spoiling we accomplish, the overriding principal, started by Puddin, that the final 3 finish order is never revealed prior to the airing of the final episode.  To me the racers were not the primary motivation for spoiling, but rather the locations.  Even Phil himself has said more than once, that he doesn't care who wins the race, but cares more about the "drama".

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:54:27 PM by Boingo »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
I remember lurking around the middle of TAR 12 (oh, memories of two pink Goth girls and Ron & Chris possibly being on TARA 2) and I have to assume the "grave mistakes" are from TAR 13 with the whiteboard of doom, M., and all sorts of fun in Portland.

Prior to Sydney in TAR 18 were there any full legs spoiled? I think there was something in FE regarding production documents left in a diner but idk.

Offline new mexican mom

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
I can't say that I have contributed much to the boards but I am a lurker and reader.  I appreciated all the stories and detective work done.  I found "Television without Pity", Amazingracesucks, sirlinksalot and others every entertaining.  What has happened to all the old posters like G-man etc?  I know Askip passed but have the others done so too?

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:53:38 PM »
I remember lurking around the middle of TAR 12 (oh, memories of two pink Goth girls and Ron & Chris possibly being on TARA 2) and I have to assume the "grave mistakes" are from TAR 13 with the whiteboard of doom, M., and all sorts of fun in Portland.

Prior to Sydney in TAR 18 were there any full legs spoiled? I think there was something in FE regarding production documents left in a diner but idk.

WHAT? Someone left it on a diner?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies