Author Topic: TAR 28: Cameron & Darius Benson – Vine Stars/Brothers  (Read 14546 times)

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: TAR 28: Cameron & Darius Benson – Vine Stars/Brothers
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
The Amazing Race Show N' Tell: Cameron & Darius

Brothers Cameron and Darius Benson relive memories from The Amazing Race Season 28 by adding their own special commentary to clips from the show. Watch The Amazing Race on Fridays at 8/7c.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3ovzfFX4fEA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3ovzfFX4fEA</a>

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005936/darius-and-cameron-reflect-on-their-adventures-during-the-amazing-race/

Darius and Cameron were the second team eliminated on Season 28 of The Amazing Race.

After traveling to Mexico and Colombia together, Darius and Cameron came up short during the latest episode of The Amazing Race and host Phil Keoghan had to give them the disappointing news that their adventure was over.

While the brothers didn't proceed to the next leg of the journey, they learned a lot through their travels, especially about the competition itself and what they would have done differently looking back now.

Read what this team had to say about their exciting experience on The Amazing Race.

How was competing on the Race different than how you thought it would be?

Darius: "It’s a lot more mentally draining than I anticipated. It’s stressful to have little to no idea what you’re doing with a camera recording your every mistake. There’s also the stuff that you don’t see on the show, like waiting for hours at airports, that can really sap your energy.

I underestimated the potential ambiguity of the clues, as well. When you’re watching the show, Phil explains each challenge clearly and it’s easily digestible for the audience. However, when you’re on the Race, you only have the clue and sometimes things can get confusing."

Cameron: "Until you actually rip open a clue, you have no idea what the Race is really about. On TV, the challenges and modes of transportation are simplified to a level that makes the Race look like a cakewalk. In reality, it’s stressful, exhausting, and the clues are vague in some cases. Despite all that, I would do it again in a heartbeat."

How could you be right next to the woman taking purses and not see her?

Darius: "Long story short, I thought that the challenge consisted of two parts: finding all three bags, and then finding the vendor whose name matched the tags on the inside. Unfortunately, I overthought the challenge and, due to my mistake, we were eliminated."

What did you guys think of Colombia?

Darius: "It was beautiful! Amidst my running around, I got to see pretty much all of the Walled City in Cartagena and the history and culture was almost palpable. It definitely made me want to travel more and see more beautiful places outside of the U.S."

Cameron: "Colombia is great, from what I could tell. The city of Cartagena really had us intrigued and it was a treat having our taxi driver explain the pirate legends surrounding the Walled City."

What piece of advice would you give your former selves at the start of the Race if you could?

Darius: "I'd tell myself to be more aggressive at airports."

Cameron: "Work with other teams at the mochila challenge."

Watch this episode now and all-new episodes of The Amazing Race on Fridays at 8/7c.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »

Viners Darius and Cameron Benson open up about 'Amazing Race' elimination
By  Saba Hamedy

http://mashable.com/2016/02/29/vine-stars-darius-and-cameron-benson-cbs-the-amazing-race-elimination/

LOS ANGELES — Vine stars Darius and Cameron Benson say reality TV is — spoiler alert — not always as real as it appears.

The homeschooled brothers, who live in Memphis, Tenn. and Tuscaloosa, Ala. respectively, have a combined fan following of about 3 million people. They're known for videos of crazy stunts such as parkour, unicycling and juggling.

They were among the 11 teams — made up of all social media stars — competing this season.

But their book smarts didn't work in their favor in Colombia. During a Road Block, where the competitors had to find their bags at night, Darius got confused about what to do in order to finish the leg.

Ultimately, the two were eliminated.

Amazing race was cool tho, really dope experience to share with my little bro

— Darius (@MrLegenDarius) February 27, 2016

SEE ALSO: Watch Tyler Oakley, Korey Kuhl play Tejo in new clip from 'The Amazing Race'

Mashable caught up with the pair on Monday, following the episode revealing their elimination from the race.

Mashable: So now that it's officially over, what was the experience like for you guys as a whole?

Darius: It was really really cool overall. It was the first time I’d been on a TV show and to a different country.

Cameron: For me, the race went by pretty fast. The producer always told us that at first it feels like everything is dragging on forever, but once you get home you are just going to sit on your couch and wonder 'what the heck just happened?' That was pretty much what happened. Once we actually got going on the race, it was adrenaline the whole time. You don’t see time moving as fast as it really is. It's a great experience, but it’s so fast you wish you could have some more time.

What was it like, as brothers, to be on a team in such a high-stress, competitive environment?

Darius: Me and Cam were both homeschooled most of our childhood. We’ve had a lot of experience being around one another. For that, it was pretty much business as usual. But being in such a strange crazy environment, [a] reality TV show ... definitely there's a little wrench thrown in that [relationship].

Did you feel like there was a camaraderie among contestants because you guys all hailed from the digital world?

Darius: We knew if we backstabbed one of these people, it wouldn’t just be making an enemy. It would be making an enemy of a coworker, because it would then become someone you couldn’t work with anymore. It was kind of strange, because you need to be nice.

What went through your minds after elimination?

Darius: We talked all night about everything that happened, the mistakes we made, the confusion. We were like, ‘Is this our fault?’

I had some confusion with the clue. It was just that and a mixture of bad timing. We were basically just analyzing the whole thing after the fact

Cam: Immediately after walking off the mat to our elimination, we went to this restaurant and it was pretty much just shock. You aren’t expecting to be the second team out.

Darius: It was also a a little bit relieving, because you don’t have to deal with the stress and anxiety anymore. You feel free, but you wish you were still in it.

What's it like for you guys watching the show now, months later? Did you feel like you were portrayed well?

Cam: Well, they [The Amazing Race] can only afford to show 4 minutes of what you did, because it’s 44 minutes of footage for 11 teams. It's always weird what they choose to put in. Some people thought that Darius getting recognized at the airport was cute, other people were like, why did you stop to take a pic when you should be racing?

But it was hard because the clues are different than what Phil tells you on TV.

Darius: With every reality show, there’s always going to be a discrepancy between what actually happened and what show looked like.

Cam: The story has to look good, and you can’t put everything in the show or else it’ll be some kind of live stream for all of the teams. It would be unwatchable.

Darius: We looked good throughout the episode. I'm satisfied with what the show looks like. It’s just different watching it and having been on it.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' brothers Cameron Benson and Darius Benson talk (Part 1)

By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 03/03/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated "Brothers" Cameron Benson and Darius Benson during the most recent broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 28th season.

The two men became the second team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's third Pit Stop at Baluarte de Santiago in Cartagena, Colombia, in last place.

Cameron and Darius managed to make up some time during the leg, but then it all went down hill with the Roadblock task.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World, Darius and Cameron talked about their time on The Amazing Race. Below is the first half. Check back with us soon for the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: When you guys were running up to the Pit Stop, did you know Zach King and Rachel King were ahead of you -- and only by what appeared to be a few seconds?

Darius Benson: I did see Zach and Rachel running around, and I think they were running the wrong way. So by the time I had gotten my clue, I was pretty sure that they had already gotten there.

Cameron Benson: When they were running to the Pit Stop, from where I was standing, the last thing Zach said was, "I got the clue and I know where the Pit Stop is." So at that point, I thought that they were already there at the Pit Stop. So, I didn't know.

Reality TV World: Darius, the Roadblock went down hill when you started looking for the last bag vendor to receive your next clue. Why the mix-up in which you thought you had to look for your designer Audriana? 

Darius Benson: Alright, well, in the Race, you're not given that much information outside of the clue, so once we got to the Roadblock, I was looking at where we got the clue from and I knew that [Erin White Robinson] was still working on the Roadblock and I didn't see [Joslyn Davis].

So when I didn't see Joslyn, I didn't understand that where we got the clue was where we were supposed to end the challenge. Because if she was there, it would've made more sense. So, she was somewhere else in my mind because I didn't see her.

And so, when I got the last bag, I was kind of confused. I was like, "Well, Joslyn wasn't waiting for Erin where we started -- even though cameras were waiting there for me when I started -- so maybe everyone has to go to a different vendor." And I was like, "Oh, that makes sense because there are different names in all these bags."

So once that clicked in my head, I was like, "Okay, I'm looking for this person Audriana," and it just went from there. So I just kind of over-thought it and it was a mixture of bad luck and bad timing, and I didn't see anybody else giving their bags to that vendor. And it just didn't work out.

Reality TV World: How long do you think you spent looking for the correct vendor to end the Roadblock, Darius?

Darius Benson: It was a while. I think right when the sun went down, I got my final bag, and then I might've spent maybe two hours running around trying to find every single vendor and ask them what their name was.

Reality TV World: Cameron, you were basically sitting right next to the location of the final vendor. I'm assuming you were aware of that. What was going through your mind when you were watching Darius frantically look for it? I'm sure it was tough not to just yell out the answer, but obviously you'd be penalized huge for that.

Cameron Benson: Yeah, like while you're sitting there for the Roadblock, they've got a bunch of production there. You're not supposed to talk, so it's pretty much everyone except your partner who knows where he was supposed to put the bag.

So, it was pretty savage. Just the feeling of it was so helpless because I could've just said, "It's right here!" I picked up the bags, like our backpacks, to head to the Pit Stop when Darius showed up with the mochiles because I thought it was over.

It took about 10 seconds of him telling me why he was confused about where he was turning it in, and that's when everyone that was there waiting at the Roadblock -- like Blair Fowler and Rachel -- realized he was having trouble and they decided not to help.

I saw all that happened, so it was one of the hardest moments on the Race. It was pretty much the hardest moment on the Race for me, just seeing, one, Darius get confused right there, and two, seeing the other teams realize that they have an edge on us and they decided to keep it.

Reality TV World: In your final words, you guys admitted some bad luck and bad decisions ultimately cost you the Race. Looking back, what would you say was the bad luck you encountered that really affected you?

Cameron Benson: The bad luck for us, it really was in that Mexico airport to get into Cartagena, because the ticket lady -- we show up in fourth place -- and the ticket lady tells the Top 4 teams it was our team, Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl, the dancers [Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina] and Zach and Rachel.

We were just waiting with them at the ticket line and the lady told us all that we needed to go to a different terminal to get our second tickets for our connecting flight. She told us that we had to go to another terminal to get those tickets. So four teams head to the other terminal and we're last out of those four teams.

So by the time we take the shuttle to the other terminal, other teams had already made it to that terminal and were booking both halves of the ticket. So, we were behind, I think, [Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith], the models [Jessica Versteeg and Brittany Oldehoff], and like, some other teams.

But if we went back to the first terminal, the Aero-Mexico ticket lady wouldn't book them for us in our minds. So we were waiting there at the second terminal we were told to wait at, and after we get our tickets, we realized that after we had left the Aero-Mexico ticket line, the ticket lady that told us she couldn't book both halves of the ticket had started booking both halves of the ticket [for other teams].

So everyone who showed up after fourth place was getting their connecting flight to Cartagena before we were getting our connecting flight to Cartagena, and we ended up being in last place. And we were the only people on the last flight to Cartagena. So that was pretty much bad luck, and I guess, I mean, that ticket lady who figured out how to book tickets later than when we went to get them.

Reality TV World: Would you say the editing was sort of inaccurate then? Because from a viewer's perspective, you guys just considered yourselves laid-back guys and took your time. You said you weren't aggressive people and even stopped for a selfie with a fan.

Darius Benson: Oh yeah. Well it's hard to get that all on film, I think. That whole process, you know, everything that happened to us in the airport. So I wouldn't really blame the editing. I would just say it was kind of hard to capture that.

Cameron Benson: The editing is just a time thing. They wouldn't have had time to show the ticket lady telling us to go to the other airline and then show the other airline having three or four teams in front of us. They'd have to tell people when all the teams arrived at the airport, plus, there's a lot of stuff that happened in the [connecting] airport.

Some people changed flights, but we didn't have license to film there, so it didn't show us jumping from line to line and waiting standby to get a better flight. Some teams made their standby lines and other teams did not make it. It was just a lot of airport stuff that didn't get in there.

Reality TV World: It looked like you breezed right through the Detour task when you had to throw discs at clay targets. How long were you there for? Did you basically hit three explosive targets in a row? 

Darius Benson: It wasn't that bad. It seemed like a pretty long time to me just because, you know, we were trying to get through it really quickly. But I guess it might've gone by pretty quickly. I mean, Cam is pretty accurate with his throw.

Cameron Benson: Yeah, well, just to show the time that we had taken, we were 30 minutes after [Scott Fowler] and Blair. They were the ninth place team to leave the Pit Stop, but yeah, when we finished the Tejo game, we were in seventh place by about 15-20 minutes.

So I would say that definitely helped us out a lot. Also, we had a good taxi driver, so he took us to the next clue... pretty fast. So, I think it was pretty much efficiency and a good taxi that made up some time.

Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-brothers-cameron-benson-and-darius-benson-talk-%28part-1%29-19387.php#1mxBhf9rU4BiBmiK.99
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' brothers Cameron Benson and Darius Benson talk (Part 2)

By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 03/04/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated "Brothers" Cameron Benson and Darius Benson during the most recent broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 28th season.

The two men became the second team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's third Pit Stop at Baluarte de Santiago in Cartagena, Colombia, in last place.

Cameron and Darius managed to make up some time during the leg, but then it all went down hill with the Roadblock task.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World, Darius and Cameron talked about their time on The Amazing Race. Below is the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: Did you have a strategy for deciding which one of you should do which Roadblock task? Did you have a plan for that going into the Race based on the strengths and weaknesses you both think you have? 

Cameron Benson: We're pretty much the same person in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Darius Benson: (Laughs)

Cameron Benson: So we were pretty much going on, like, "Okay, you can do the first one, I'll get to do the second, and then Darius does the third, and I'll do that fourth." Because, pretty much, unless it's a food challenge, I'm going to be just as good at it as Darius, so that's what we were thinking going in.

Darius Benson: Yeah, there's really nothing that, you know, I can do that Cam can't do. There's maybe a list of three things that we can think of.

Reality TV World: You said in your final words you ran across some bad luck and made some bad decisions. Was it just the stress and pressure of the Race that got to you? Did you find yourselves having tunnel vision at times? 

Darius Benson: The way it works with us is that we learn things really, really quickly. So going into the Race, we know we've never raced before so we're definitely not going to really know everything.

But, you know, that's going to be the same for anything. We were just confident in our ability to adapt quickly, and I think we did! I think we did. I mean, we made a couple mistakes in the first two legs, but the third leg was really, really good for us -- up to the end, when there was that confusion with the mochiles.

Cameron Benson: I think what got us was that, maybe like, we weren't asking for help from other teams. Because teams that worked together always got out of challenges pretty fast -- or out of a situation pretty fast. I wouldn't say that necessarily our intelligence wasn't being applied.

One thing they didn't show in the second episode was that all five of the 10 huts had been built when we showed up, and we had picked that challenge not knowing that they had all been built.

I think it was [Zach King and Rachel King] and [Cole LaBrant] and his mom [Sheri LaBrant] were working on two of the shacks, and three of them had been completed, but they didn't look complete to us because they didn't have the chairs and tables.

So basically, we had to figure out from the clue that all five had been done and that ate up some time, just because once you pick one of the Detours, you can't switch unless you know that all five have been completed. It was a very hard thing to figure out, and I guess they didn't show it because it was kind of just too subtle for the audience at home to understand what we had figured out.

But I feel like what really got us was the airplane-Mexico fiasco which put us in eleventh place going into Cartagena. Without that 30-minute penalty, I mean, I feel like we wouldn't have been last, because it came down to seconds!

Reality TV World: Which team did you view as the potential biggest threat and which teams could you have envisioned yourselves aligning with down the road? 

Darius Benson: Probably [Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith] because I would say they are the most similar to us when it comes to athleticism. They're both really good competitors.

Cameron Benson: Yeah, Brodie and Kurt were pretty strong. We didn't get to...

Darius Benson: Actually, [Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl] too.

Cameron Benson: Yeah, Tyler and Korey were cool. We got to meet them. Brodie and Kurt, I didn't really talk to them at all during the Race because I didn't see them during the Race, but we did team up with [Burnie Burns] for a while because we were in the back going into the puzzle challenge, but we didn't actually work with him. We just sort of became friends with him. So going down the line into the Race, I could totally see us working with Tyler and Korey and Burnie and [Ashley Jenkins].

Reality TV World: Were you two fans of The Amazing Race before going on it, and did you actually apply to compete on the show or did producers contact you because of your Vine presence?

Darius Benson: Well, I guess my management contacted me about the opportunity and said that CBS was looking for social media stars to be contestants. So that's how we found out about it, and once I found out about it, I was like, "Cam will love this, because this is just, like, a huge challenge for us to do together." So we sent in a video and we ended up going to casting and it all worked out! As far as being fans of the show, I think Cam, you were more of a fan of the show, right?

Cameron Benson: I had seen some of the show before we got contacted, but after, that was when I watched every season.

Darius Benson: Yeah, we studied it! (Laughs)

Reality TV World: What was your motivation for going on the Race? A lot of viewers are wondering whether the teams this season are on the show just for self-promotion. Would you admit that was a part of it for you guys? Obviously television exposure couldn't hurt your careers.

Darius Benson: I was going on the Race for every single benefit the Race could give me. That's self-promotion, that's having an experience with my brother, that's traveling the world, that's accomplishing something, and possibly winning a million dollars. So, I was thinking about everything.

Cameron Benson: For me, over the summer, I was trying to travel and I was actually talking to somebody about how I never get to travel anywhere when the Race actually contacted me, so it was definitely a travel experience -- because I didn't even have a passport before the Race, so I hadn't really been out of the country. Of course I watched every episode because I was like, "Man, if we're going to win it, I need to know everything I need to know."

So pretty much, yeah, you are going into it for the million. Every team is going in for the million, but I mean, really, it's about travel, having an experience with other cool people -- people you wouldn't get to meet or hang out with -- and also, I guess there is the self-promotion aspect of it, but I mean, really, in all honesty, the million dollars and the travel is pretty much why everyone was doing it this season.

Reality TV World: Would you be up for doing The Amazing Race again? If so, how might you better prepare next time?

Cameron Benson: I would definitely be the one who's trying to do it again. I don't know about Darius, but yeah, it was really fun. I didn't really get to do much. Because when I'm watching the show, I'm like, "Man, I could do that Roadblock. I could do that Detour."

And in the end, it came down to me just doing one Roadblock and three Detours. So I feel like I haven't really gotten to do the Race as much as I would've wanted, and well, if at all. So, yeah, I'd definitely do it again.

Darius Benson: And for me, part of me feels like I would kind of want to do it again just because we didn't get to have the, you know, full experience. I feel like we went out kind of early. But also, there's so much that can go wrong. There's so many random things that can hold you back despite your efforts to stay on top of your game.

And there's all kinds of paperwork. It's a really hectic, stressful experience, so that's the part of me that's like, "I've done it; I don't know if I want to do it again. I've done it once and that's maybe enough."

As far as preparing for another Race experience, I would definitely become an expert in international travel and airports. (Laughs) Even though I think that was probably a small part of the Race, I think we were catching up with some of the contestants after the fact, and they said that Mexico City was really the only place that we had to buy tickets ourselves.

But you know, even so, that's where we lost the most when it comes to the Race, so that would've helped us out if we had a little bit more experience with that. Because I never traveled internationally.
Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-brothers-cameron-benson-and-darius-benson-talk-%28part-2%29-19400.php#DWMp0YJxHu6U7upG.99
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »
Wow with that luck!

Cameron never got to talk to Brodie & Kurt eh? :o Brodie & Kurt were indeed right when they said they haven't "seen" some teams.

I don't get the 30-minute penalty that they mentioned. ???

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »

Yea, I can't understand where it came from either?  ???

Can't believe an Un-Aired Penalty was probably their downfall.  I remember them saying they got lost on the way to the Pitstop on Leg 3 as well, so that didn't help them either.  :groan:

So many mistakes!  I genuinely think had they got passed Leg 3, they would've started to hit their stride - Like Louie & Michael.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »

I think he refers to the fact that their flight arrived 30 minutes after Marty & Hagan.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »

I think he refers to the fact that their flight arrived 30 minutes after Marty & Hagan.

:ascared Oh, it was 30 minutes.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 05:06:38 AM »

It was scheduled to arrive 30 Minutes after Marty & Hagan, but their flight was delayed 10 Minutes IIRC? ???
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
You Won't Believe These Fun Facts About The New Amazing Race Cast
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005631/you-won-t-believe-these-fun-facts-about-the-new-amazing-race-cast/101477/what-three-words-would-cameron-and-darius-use-to-describe-themsevles-/

What three words would Cameron and Darius use to describe [themselves]?

Vine star Cameron decided to answer with "hotter in person." On the other hand, his brother Darius, who has over 3 million followers on YouTube, responded with "intellectual, athletic, and multi-talented."