Author Topic: TAR 28: Kurt Gibson & Brodie Smith – Pro Frisbee Players/Best Friends  (Read 17747 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith – Pro Frisbee Players

Kurt and Brodie s Announcement

Relationship: Best Friends

Current Residence: Dallas, Texas

Brodie turned his Frisbee skills into popular videos and has a YouTube channel with more than 1 million followers. He is racing with his best friend and former ultimate Frisbee teammate, Kurt. They won three National Championships at the University of Florida.

Subscribe on YouTube: Brodie Smith

Follow on Twitter: @BrodieSmith21 and @kurtegibson

Like on Facebook: Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson

Follow on Instagram: @BrodieSmith21 and @kurtegibson

Follow on Snapchat: @BrodieSmith and @kurtegibson
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:45:28 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 28: Kurt Gibson & Brodie Smith – "Pro Frisbee Players"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »
CBS "Reveal" 1/21/16

Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith: Pro frisbee players

Meet pro frisbee players (and best buds)
Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith, who are masters of the finger-flicking sport, as seen on YouTube.

Name: Kurt Gibson
 Twitter: @kurtegibson
 Instagram: kurtegibson
 YouTube: kurtegibson

How many total followers do you have across all platforms? Not as much as everyone else - Help me pretty please!

Hometown: Westport, Conn.

Connection to your teammate: Ultimate Frisbee teammates and best friend

Current occupation: National Account Sales Manager at PepsiCo

Describe what you do: I manage the corporate call for one of the PepsiCo Away From Home Team's largest distributors. I am responsible for driving top/bottom line growth, developing short/long-term strategy, and managing all day-to-day internal-external activity on all of our lines of business.

3 words to describe you: Christian, honest and forgiving.

Favorite hobbies: Ultimate Frisbee, salsa dancing and watching movies.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Kicking cancer in the butt.

What scares you most about traveling? I'm not scared of traveling. I love traveling, but definitely losing my wallet overseas would not be the most fun thing.

What excites you most about traveling? I love meeting people from around the world and understanding the genesis of traditions within cultures. It is so fascinating how different the world is yet we all share so many common bonds without even knowing it.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Being a target of other teams.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He snores and he always talks over me.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Egypt - How cool would it be to do a task in the ancient temples and pyramids of Giza? You couldn't recreate that any other place!

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I love traveling and seeing new places and I know this will be an opportunity for Brodie and me to see the world in a way that I won't ever have a chance to again. The things that people do on this show are not things normal tourists do, and for that reason alone, this trip is so unique and special.

Name: Brodie Smith
 Twitter: @BrodieSmith21
 Instagram: BrodieSmith21
 Youtube: Youtube.com/Brodie
 Facebook.com/BrodieSmith21
 Snapchat: BrodieSmith
 Vine: Brodie Smith www.BSmith21.com

How many total followers do you have across all platforms? Over 5 million

Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.

Connection to your teammate: Ultimate Frisbee teammates and best friend

Current occupation: Social Media Creator

Describe what you do: I play professional Ultimate Frisbee and create content on social media for my fans and work with brands on their social campaigns.

3 words to describe you: Competitor, tall and Frisbee-lover.

Favorite hobbies: Sports, traveling, hiking, spending time with my family, board games and eating.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Winning my second Ultimate Frisbee national championship in college in 2010.

What scares you most about traveling? Not having enough leg room on the flight.

What excites you most about traveling? Experiencing new adventures, meeting new people and trying things I never thought I would.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Staying positive when things aren't going our way.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He works on his own time, can occasionally be late/tardy.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Bora Bora, I am a huge fan of warm weather and beaches. Those always make for the best places to throw the frisbee.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to compete at my highest ability. Try my best at every task at hand and have a blast doing it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:34:25 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 28: Kurt Gibson & Brodie Smith – "Pro Frisbee Players"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CTWoDqS_tDs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CTWoDqS_tDs</a>
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:05:31 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 28: Kurt Gibson & Brodie Smith – Pro Frisbee Players/Best Friends
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
yikes @ that cast pic so obnoxious

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »
I love the energy these guys are giving off!

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Brodie and Kurt's announcement

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jh9xl-mWhYo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jh9xl-mWhYo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
Funniest article ever from some TAR clueless cohorts watching the start:

http://ultiworld.com/2015/11/16/the-krodie-files-we-watched-brodie-and-kurts-hot-start-in-the-amazing-race/

Best lines!!

My heart was stolen by Carlos tonight, though. Really hope he’s in
every single episode.

Thank God there was a real star on the scene:
Carlos, doing his best Atlas impression.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
And since we are bound to hear more about this during editing, here is an interview Kurt did discussing his stage 3 Colon cancer and some of the treatments, and his comeback. Courageous guy.

http://skydmagazine.com/2015/06/interview-with-audl-and-usau-champ-kurt-gibson/

And more: http://theaudl.com/articles/ata/kurt
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:12:49 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
:bump See post #2!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:06:13 PM »
Meet Video in Reply 2!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

Which one of these disc-throwing enthusiasts has won two national championships?

That would be Brodie (right), a social media creator with over 5 million followers, who will compete with his close friend Kurt.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »

Partner Predictions!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dl2oEb1Xjas" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dl2oEb1Xjas</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »
Phil tweeted this...

They know how to win .. 2006 @Kurtegibson @BrodieSmith21 #Forceful #Fast #Flashy #FrisbeePros 6 days on AmazingRace

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »
Brodie got excited seeing himself on TV when it aired the TAR28 promo during the Super Bowl and he tweeted this picture...

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
Brodie has done a video commercial for Werner Ladders. You can see it at wernerpodium.com. Pretty amazing stuff. He does a few trick shots involving ladders on a basketball court, then puts frisbees into the basket from all over the arena.

http://wernerpodium.com

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »
That's crazily amazing!  :colors
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 06:59:30 PM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »
Broadie's social media and off-show stuff is turning him into one of my favorites.
-- theschnauzers

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 03:00:21 AM »
The nice thing about these social media teams... they sure know how to get feisty against the casuals :lol: <3

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »
The nice thing about these social media teams... they sure know how to get feisty against the casuals :lol: <3
OMG YES :lol:
Even Sheri ;D

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
I'm starting to like them :c
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:58:27 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
The Amazing Race - The Amazing Race Show N' Tell: Kurt & Brodie

Kurt & Brodie relive memories from The Amazing Race Season 28 by adding their own special commentary to clips from the show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aGGVWt-2rSY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aGGVWt-2rSY</a>

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1006342/brodie-smith-and-kurt-gibson-reflect-on-their-adventures-during-the-amazing-race/

Brodie and Kurt were the sixth team eliminated on Season 28 of The Amazing Race.

After traveling the world together, friends and pro-frisbee tossers Brodie and Kurt came up short during the latest episode of The Amazing Race and host Phil Keoghan had to give them the disappointing news that their adventure was over after being U-Turned by their fellow racers.

While the duo didn't proceed to the next leg of the journey and would've preferred not to leave via U-Turn, they did strengthen their bond as best friends and the journey allowed them to visit cities they never dreamed they'd see.

Read what Brodie and Kurt had to say following their incredible experience on The Amazing Race.

1. Was there anything you were surprised by between watching the show and actually being a racer on it?

Brodie: "The crew really stood out to me. They're so great and they are so crazy in-shape since they're pretty much doing what we're doing all while recording it and it's awesome. [Plus], the production team that puts together the entire race is incredible.

Also, [I was surprised by] how difficult the race actually is. Watching it on TV, everything looks so easy. Even on our season, people would ask us why we didn't do certain things, but when you're actually on the show, you're constantly stressed and tired and it's hard to make decisions. The elements of traveling—on top of having to do tasks in the dripping sweat—just makes everything harder."

Kurt: "People were telling me I looked tired toward the end of the race and it's true. I was exhausted!"

2. What do you think your team’s biggest strengths and weaknesses were?

Brodie: "I'd say our biggest strength was our positivity. We stayed positive throughout the race. I'd say our biggest weakness was that I was on one leg, so that was a problem. In any other season, the two guys are normally the big physical threat, but I had just had knee surgery, so we were just one-and-a-half of a physical threat."

3. Do you have a favorite memory from the Race?

Kurt: "My favorite memories include racing the camels in Dubai and being able to beat them. [That] and when we were at the top of the French Alps. It was just awesome!"

Brodie: "For me, I would say the first time we came in first place. Also, I would say the paragliding in Chamonix. There are a lot of things I will never forget, but those were pretty cool."

4. Did the Race strengthen your already tight bond? If so, how?

Kurt: "We already knew how to deal with each other, so there were no surprises. I'm perfect, though, so Brodie shouldn't have had any issues with me."

Brodie: "It would [have been difficult] if you were newly dating or just mediocre friends, but Kurt and I played on the same team for 10 years and have been through so much together. There were no surprises on the race since we already knew each other really well."

5. How did it feel to be U-Turned by two teams during your final leg in the Race?

Brodie: "It sucked. Not good. Losing that way was tough for us since we couldn't do anything about it. From a strategic perspective, Burnie and Ashley made a great decision in locking us out of the race."

Kurt: "It's tough to go out like that. We wanted to go out because we dropped the coconuts, or Brodie got scared jumping off the clip. We didn't want to go out because of a U-turn. It's unfortunate, but it's part of the game."

6. Everyone seemed so close on your season. Is there such a thing as friendly competition?

Brodie: "100-percent. I think sometimes there are rivalries, but there can also be times, like [on] our season, where everyone is extremely nice and awesome. It was all friendly competition. We all enjoyed each other's company and we truly liked each other."

7. Which teams do you keep in touch with now?

Kurt and Brodie: "We're all in group chat and we keep in touch with everyone. There hasn't been that much hanging out since we're in Texas, but we keep in touch and see each other when we can."

Watch the episode where Brodie and Kurt were eliminated now and all-new episodes of The Amazing Race on Fridays at 8/7c.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-eliminees-brodie-smith-and-kurt-gibson-talk-(part-1)-19722.php

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson talk (Part 1)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 05/02/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated "Best Friends" Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson during Friday night's broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 28th season.

Brodie and Kurt became the seventh team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's tenth Pit Stop at the Bajra Sandhi monument in Bali, Indonesia in last place.

Brodie and Kurt got U-Turned, meaning they had to complete both sides of the Detour task, and therefore seemed to have little chance of making up lost time.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Monday, Brodie and Kurt talked about their The Amazing Race experience. Below is the first half. Check back with us soon for the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: How long after Sheri LaBrant and Cole LaBrant did you finally arrive at the Pit Stop?

Kurt Gibson: Well, that is the question that is unknown!

Brodie Smith: A lot of different rumors are spreading around, not rumors, but I guess people saying how long we were. I think when we got there, [host Phil Keoghan] told us, like, 10 minutes.

Kurt Gibson: I think it was like 15-20 minutes.

Brodie Smith: Yeah, Phil said, he was like, "Man, you guys actually made it really close." And obviously the editing too makes it look like we were kind of close as well, like we were coming right up [behind Sheri and Cole].

Kurt Gibson: It just felt like we weren't close because I remember Jodie, one of the production people, saying we were, like, 45 minutes behind.

Brodie Smith: Yeah, because in our heads, [Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina] and Sheri and Cole were probably not that far behind us on the Detour just because that Detour took pretty much every team the same amount of time to do.

And then the seaweed Detour was at least 45 minutes to an hour of total time, and then I'm pretty sure everyone did the Roadblock [in] the same [time] -- unless Cole just sat up there for an hour, which I'd highly doubt. It did seem like he was kind of iffy on it. My guess is he probably spent 10 more seconds longer waiting up there. So yeah, I don't think we were that close.

Reality TV World: It seemed like you got through the seaweed Detour task as fast as possible. So would you say with almost 100% certainty you would have survived this leg had another team gotten U-Turned?

Brodie Smith: Oh, if we could've U-Turned somebody behind us, we would've definitely beaten that team. (Laughs) I mean, I know that's confident, but I have great confidence that me and Kurt -- if it was a head to head match-up at that seaweed challenge, at that Roadblock, and then at that sprint to Phil, we would've beaten whatever team we U-Turned behind us.

Kurt Gibson: We did not get through that seaweed [fast] though.

Brodie Smith: No, that seaweed was hard!

Kurt Gibson: It took us almost an hour. Roughly an hour. But I'm sure it would've taken the same amount of time for another team. But if we were able to U-Turn somebody else, I don't think we would've lost our lead at that challenge.

Brodie Smith: No.

Kurt Gibson: So I think we would've been fine. And that Roadblock was just kind of a...

Brodie Smith: Do it!

Kurt Gibson: Climb up and jump off, and then take a short cab ride to the Pit Stop. So, I think, you know, if we had gotten to U-Turn somebody else, we would still be in the Race. But that's just not the way it worked out.

Reality TV World: You guys seemed to handle your elimination pretty well, but I'm sure it was still devastating. Do you think it's harder to leaving the Race when it's out of your control rather than if you had made a big mistake or something?

Brodie Smith: Yes! One-hundred percent. Me and Kurt said all along that if we were going to get eliminated and not win, we would like it to be our [mistake] -- because of something we did wrong.

And yeah, that leg was definitely tough because there was nothing we could do differently. We started last, we passed two teams, and we were doing well in that leg. We probably would have passed another team and finished second, but you know, there was just nothing we could do.

Reality TV World: Knowing you guys won so many legs and got eliminated all because of a U-Turn, how do you feel about the fact Sheri and Cole are still in it when they got saved twice on non-elimination legs? Is that sort of a tough pill to swallow?

Kurt Gibson: No, I don't think so. I mean, social media might disagree with me, but you know, those things are written before the Race even starts, right? So the fact they had finished in the back during those two legs was just kind of a matter of chance

Brodie Smith: Yeah.

Kurt Gibson: And you know what? It's just kind of the way the cookie crumbles there. And to their credit, they've gotten better each and every leg of the Race.

Brodie Smith: Yeah, and I think the show wouldn't be that interesting and do as well as it has over the years if it was just whoever the best team is, is going to win. It wouldn't be that fun to watch. There is a lot of chance; There is a lot of luck. There's a lot of things that play into the Race.

And, you know, they got lucky that the two times that they finished last, they didn't get eliminated. So, there's nothing to really say about it. It's not like they did something that hurt me and Kurt's chances of winning. It was just that they got lucky they didn't get eliminated in two legs.

Kurt Gibson: We were hoping there would've been a non-elimination in the Bali leg for us, (laughs) but we unfortunately did not get lucky on that.

Reality TV World: You probably understood why Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl U-Turned you, because at the end of the day, it was a compliment to how good you guys were as a team. But did you leave the Race with any hard feelings toward Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins? They obviously sealed your fate by making sure you were the only team U-Turned.

Brodie Smith: Well, for me, we had a lot of talks that weren't shown on the Race with Tyler and Korey and Burnie and Ashley, and even Dana and Matt. We were talking about how fun it's been competing against one another and how we wanted to have, you know, the best teams at the end.

And so, I was a little thrown off seeing how Tyler and Korey U-Turned us just because, in my mind, I thought that they wanted us to be there with them at the end, to you know, have that one big final competition leg. But obviously, they had a strategy and they went for the win. And that's completely fine.

And same thing with Burnie and Ashley. We had worked with Burnie and Ashley a lot in The Amazing Race, leading up to that point. And so, it was definitely at the moment, one of those things where we couldn't really -- we were shocked, I would say.

To see what Tyler and Korey and Burnie and Ashley did at the time, we were definitely shocked, but looking back on it, they were in the Race, they had finished second to us multiple times and they had a chance to eliminate us, and they took it.

Reality TV World: I think it was interesting how Kurt did mostly all of the Roadblocks up front, leaving Brodie to do the second half of them. Why did you two decide on that strategy? Do you think it would've made more sense to alternate so you'd each get a chance to rest and then in the case there's a puzzle or something down the road, Kurt could still do it?

Brodie Smith: Well, they didn't really show it on the Race, but I had a torn ACL and actually had a torn meniscus a couple of months before the Race. And so, that was an issue for us. There was a lot of -- I wouldn't say fear -- but there was a lot of concern that some Roadblocks I would either do really poorly on or potentially not even be able to do.

So the dancing one, for example, there's no way with my knee I would've been able to do that dance. And so, we would've gotten eliminated had I done that Roadblock. So unfortunately for us, there were a lot of times where, if the Roadblock wasn't something I knew exactly what it was -- and I knew I could do it -- Kurt had to do it.

And just the way it turned out, a lot of the clues they gave you for the Roadblock and where we were, it just seemed like something that was going to be physical and something that Kurt would be better at doing vs. my knee. And so, we went that way.

Kurt Gibson: I think our thought process was with a lot of the Roadblocks, we arrived there first or very close to it. And the ones that we did arrive to first, it was kind of a disadvantage, especially with Brodie's knee, because we couldn't see what they were doing. And a good example is, in Armenia, the oil change. The cluebox was at a weird desk with all the old antique furniture.

Brodie Smith: There were a bunch of jars and stuff.

Kurt Gibson: Yeah the jars. And I remember Brodie saying, "This looks like a memory challenge. You should probably do this one." And I was like, "Okay, fine," you know? So I do it and, of course, it's an oil change.

Brodie Smith: Which I could have done.

Kurt Gibson: It would've been a good thing for Brodie to do because it doesn't involve any, like, physical activity that would hurt his knee. So at that point, because we were winning, it was kind of a disadvantage because of Brodie's knee.

Brodie Smith: That was definitely a struggle for us -- being in the front and not being able to see what other teams were doing. Especially for the teams behind us, if you get to a Roadblock and you see every guy doing the Roadblock, you're probably going to have a guy do the Roadblock if you have a guy on your team.

Just because it would probably be something physical. So, there's definitely an advantage to not being in first. And so, for us, unfortunately my knee and not being able to do some stuff, that was definitely a problem, for sure.

Check back with Reality TV World soon for the concluding portion of Brodie and Kurt's exclusive The Amazing Race interview.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:55:07 AM by Platrium »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-eliminees-brodie-smith-and-kurt-gibson-talk-%28part-2%29-19754.php

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson talk (Part 2)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 05/06/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated "Best Friends" Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson during the latest broadcast of the CBS reality competition's 28th season. 

Brodie and Kurt became the seventh team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's tenth Pit Stop at the Bajra Sandhi monument in Bali, Indonesia in last place.

Brodie and Kurt got U-Turned, meaning they had to complete both sides of the Detour task, and therefore seemed to have little chance of making up lost time.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Monday, Brodie and Kurt talked about their The Amazing Race experience. Below is the concluding portion. Click here to read the first half.

Reality TV World: Why do you think you worked so well together as a team?

Brodie Smith: I think we both have this competitiveness that made us work so well together on the Race. There was never a moment where one person was super, like, "We gotta go, we gotta go," and other person was just, like, chill. We both want to compete; We both want to win. And so, we thrive off of each other's competitiveness, and I think that's why we work really well together.

Reality TV World: You two were optimistic about getting to the Double U-Turn board before at least one other team. What was going through your minds heading there? What did you expect to happen? What were you planning on doing if you got there and a spot was open?

Kurt Gibson: Well, we weren't sure if Tyler and Korey were going to U-Turn us, but to be honest, when we started in fifth place and we were only 15 minutes behind Tyler and Korey, as soon as we read that clue and it said, "Caution, U-Turn ahead," I don't think you heard it, but I think I said, "Oh crap!"

Something like, "Oh no," or along those lines, just knowing that we're in last and if we don't get there in the first two, we're going to be screwed. And what we didn't think was going to happen was that if we got there outside of the Top 2, that you know, the other team would block us right on that Double U-Turn.

We hadn't suspected that, but Burnie and Ashley are really smart and they play the game, so it's just what they did. You know, I think we were just trying to get there in the Top 2. To be honest, I thought we were going to get U-Turned, and we did, but I was hoping we could U-Turn somebody else too.

Brodie Smith: We definitely knew that if we got there first or second, we'd still be in the Race because we'd have the ability to U-Turn someone else. If we got there third, we still felt pretty confident. I thought Dana and Matt would've done what Burnie and Ashley did; I didn't think Burnie and Ashley were going to do that. But they ended up doing it! So yeah, that's just how it worked out, I guess.

Reality TV World: Looking back, what do you think about the critical decision you made to use your Express Pass when Brodie was working on that puzzle? Was that the right time to use it? Brodie, do you wish you had stuck it out a little longer in order to try and save it? Because I know the kite Roadblock task afterwards was tough.

Brodie Smith: Yeah, so I think a lot of people watching the show could easily say, "Well, they used it too early." But we held onto it for a couple legs. We didn't use it right away.

Kurt Gibson: We got it in Armenia and didn't use it in one leg.

Brodie Smith: For how late in the Race [the pass] was given, we didn't really have that many legs to play around with. So, I knew that we were either going to use it in that leg or the next leg, and I know going in, we didn't want to use it.

But we were in the front, and at the time being, I thought it was a way of us staying in front, not letting any of the other teams know that we have used the Express Pass, so they would still kind of be worried in that nature.

And honestly, I really felt -- I was just telling Kurt about it -- I really felt we were going to be flying somewhere and there were going to be multiple flights and so staying in front was going to be a huge thing for us in the next leg.

And unfortunately, we were all on the same flight out, so being in first or being like Sheri and Cole -- who finished several hours behind us -- it didn't matter. But yeah, if we go on the Race again, definitely if we get to a Roadblock and we're struggling, we'd definitely wait for other teams.

Another problem about being out front is that no one else is really there, and so, I know when I did it, it looked like every other team kind of knew it was possible and knew what to do because [they could help each other]. Talking with Dana, she was saying if she was by herself there, she didn't think she would've been able to do it.

Kurt Gibson: We were there for, like, 30-40 minutes and it seemed like an eternity obviously that Brodie was trying to figure it out. So, it just starts going through your mind like, "Jeeze, he might not ever get it! He might not get it!" Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but even at the time, I remember when we used it up, I was like, "God, I think we probably could've used it better."

But, you know what? When you can just feel the other teams breathing down your neck, you kind of get in your mind like, "If we can stay far ahead, there will be two flights or we can keep our lead on the next leg," which obviously ended up being an equalizer and a non-elimination. So the worst possible thing happened to us.

Brodie Smith: Yeah.

Kurt Gibson: So, it looks like a bad decision. It certainly wasn't a great decision, that's for sure.

Brodie Smith: Yeah. It definitely wasn't great, but it's something we'll learn from if we ever go on the show again.

Reality TV World: At the time you guys left the Race, were you rooting for a particular team to win? Maybe a team you thought was most deserving, or one who didn't screw you over? (Laughs)

Kurt Gibson: No.

Brodie Smith: We didn't really...

Kurt Gibson: I mean, we were friends with everybody. Everybody was friends with each other and cordial. I think we were obviously a little bitter just because we lost and we hate losing, right? But other than that, no. I think we just said, you know, "Whoever is going to earn it is going to earn it, and whoever races the best at the end will get it."

Brodie Smith: And all of those teams -- like Tyler and Korey, who we were fighting neck and neck with -- Dana and Matt were usually towards the front and Burnie and Ashley obviously. And Sheri and Cole just came on late. So, all of those teams are deserving. We were just bitter, I guess, at the fact that we lost and we weren't going to be able to fight for the championship.

Reality TV World: Brodie, you said in your final words you planned to take Blair Fowler out once you returned to Los Angeles. Whatever happened with that?

Brodie Smith: Yeah, well, probably nothing. I don't know what you want to write, but we're friends. And we were friends on the Race.

Reality TV World: What was it like racing against a girl you had a crush on? Was that ever a distraction? Did you ever feel compelled to help her and her dad Scott Fowler when maybe, in a normal situation, you wouldn't have?

Brodie Smith: We legitimately saw them for like five minutes. We saw them a little bit at the Candy [Detour], we saw them very briefly in Georgia, right as we were leaving, they just showed up for the dancing. But other than that, we didn't see them on the Race, so it was never a distraction or an issue, really. A lot of times in the Race, you're just by yourself, like you're not really around other people.

Reality TV World: How were you cast on The Amazing Race? Were you fans of the show and therefore applied or were you contacted because of your social media presence?

Brodie Smith: You guessed it! I was contacted because I am huge on social media.

Kurt Gibson: (Laughs)

Brodie Smith: No, I'm just kidding.

Kurt Gibson: I think actually, because it was a social media season, they reached out to Brodie obviously because he's got a very big following. And then through Brodie, he reached out to me, and then we kind of went through the whole interview/casting process.

And then we made it on. I know there's a lot of social media people involved, but we were able to be unique -- unique enough to get ourselves a spot on the Race. And I am certainly very blessed and thankful for the opportunity. It was an experience of a lifetime and one that I will never, ever forget.

To read the first half of Brodie and Kurt's exclusive The Amazing Race interview with Reality TV World, click here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:06:07 AM by Platrium »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-amazing-race-recap-brodie-smith-kurt-gibson-20160429-story.html

Ex-Chicago Wildfire player runs out of tricks on 'The Amazing Race'
By Tracy Swartz - Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
May 1, 2016, 11:05 AM

Brodie Smith is known for executing Frisbee trick shots around the world, but he ran out of tricks in Indonesia.

Smith, who played on the Chicago Wildfire ultimate disc team, and longtime teammate Kurt Gibson were eliminated from "The Amazing Race" at the end of Friday's episode after another team forced them to backtrack.

"Me and Kurt have lost our fair share of games. This is a little harder, though, because we felt like we didn't have control, but we'll learn from it and hopefully become better people from it," Smith said.

On Friday's episode, the teams were required to snorkel for their first clue, deliver 50 coconuts and four chickens across a bridge and take a 40-foot plunge off a cliff.

Though they have been strong all season, Smith and Gibson started the episode in last place, out of five teams, because they were tripped up by challenges in the previous leg.

They quickly made up ground during Friday's episode, until Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl played a move, called a U-turn, that required Smith and Gibson to complete an extra task of harvesting seaweed.

"It kind of was a sucky move to do, I guess," said Smith, who was born in Chicago and lived in Wilmette before moving to Dallas in 2014.

Smith, 28, and Gibson were the final team to check in with show host Phil Keoghan and they were eliminated.

Four teams of social media enthusiasts are left to compete for the $1 million prize on Season 28 of "The Amazing Race," which airs 7 p.m. Fridays on CBS.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Announcement:
Reality TV Interview Part 2
Updated on Reply 24
:tup:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
You Won't Believe These Fun Facts About The New Amazing Race Cast
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005631/you-won-t-believe-these-fun-facts-about-the-new-amazing-race-cast/101472/which-one-of-these-disc-throwing-enthusiasts-has-won-two-national-championships-/

Which one of these disc-throwing enthusiasts has won two national championships?

That would be Brodie, a social media creator with over 5 million followers, who will compete with his close friend Kurt.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
Brodie to make a guest appearance during the Miss America Pageant tomorrow night. Brodie will be handing out roses to the five finalists!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:17:43 PM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Brodie giving roses to the fourth runner-up, Miss Mississippi, Laura Lee Lewis at Miss America

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 02:13:28 AM »
Brodie giving roses to the second runner-up, Miss New York, Camille Sims at Miss America

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Brodie and Kurt took part in a short 3 day race in Seattle called "The Emerald Race"

Episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=EKyRwUPDsyc

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Brodie got engaged last weekend, as did a couple of other Racers from other seasons.
-- theschnauzers

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Congratulations Brodie!  :conf: :cheer: :woohoo: