Author Topic: TAR 28: Burnie Burns & Ashley Jenkins -- YouTube Stars/Dating  (Read 137227 times)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 28: Burnie Burns & Ashley Jenkins -- YouTube Stars/Dating
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:42 AM »
They are becoming the Kelsey & Joey of the season. :gaah: What's even worse was they had the chance to win a leg in Leg 4, had production not forced them to travel to Chamonix for the pit stop. (:;)

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:38:08 PM »
Consistent team all throughout the Race now following the likes of Jason & Amy and Kelsey & Joey.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Consistent team all throughout the Race now following the likes of Jason & Amy and Kelsey & Joey.

... and Justin/Diana :lol:
what might have been

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Burnie and Ashley for a returnee's season!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
Unfinished business, sure. All Stars... maybe alternate picks.

Burnie seemed mad in the last 10 minutes of the episode, I felt bad.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
I wasn't a giant fan of them but I really loved them in the end :(

I'll really miss them and agree, they do deserve a second chance!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »
They got a lot more airtime towards the end of their journey at it really reminded me of Joey & Kelsey's edit, also revolving around constant 2nd placed :lol: Those 2 teams now both hold the record for most 2nd place finishes in a row, at 5.

I loved seeing how strategic they are these last 2 legs, and I hope as well that they'll get a second chance!

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
The Amazing Race Show N' Tell: Burnie & Ashley

Couple Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins relive memories from The Amazing Race Season 28 by adding their own special commentary to clips from the show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ANPUM3Fr0Tc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ANPUM3Fr0Tc</a>

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 06:06:53 AM »
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1006429/burnie-burns-and-ashley-jenkins-reflect-on-their-adventures-during-the-amazing-race/

Burnie Burns And Ashley Jenkins Reflect On Their Adventures During The Amazing Race

Burnie and Ashley were the seventh team eliminated on Season 28 of The Amazing Race.

After traveling the world together, loving couple Burnie and Ashley came up short during the latest episode of The Amazing Race and host Phil Keoghan had to give them the disappointing news that they would not be competing in the finals.

While the pair didn't proceed to the next leg of the journey, they did walk away from the Race with enough incredible memories from the experience to last a lifetime—that, and even more adoration and admiration for each other than ever.

Read what Burnie and Ashley had to say following their incredible experience on The Amazing Race.

1. How long were you guys looking for the Pit Stop?

Ashley: "We were looking for about 30 to 40 minutes. We asked dozens and dozens of people because the picture on the clue was not the library. It was the Civic Center and it was about two blocks away.

We went to the picture and did all the obvious things. We tried to find the Pit Stop, based on the perspective of the painting, but that was actually the opposite side of where it was."

Burnie: "That probably put us about a quarter-mile away from it, if not more."

2. If you didn't stop to help Sheri and Cole for that first clue, do you think you might've advanced?

Ashley: "I really don’t think that's the case. Sheri and Cole actually asked the currency exchange attendant where it was. They had the right directions. It was not from us."

Burnie: "They are a tough team and everyone underestimates them."

3. What was the hardest task you had to perform during the entire Race?

Burnie: "The salt was pretty hard, but I would say the hardest task was the Roadblock in the last episode. In the amusement park, we had to sprint from location to location and the only people we could ask for help were tourists so they didn’t really know much. By the end of that Roadblock I was just so tired at that point that I could not make decisions."

Ashley: "For me, the hardest task was absolutely trying to race [the] camels. I don’t know anything about bikes and did the entire race in the highest gear."

4. What was the most unforgettable moment from the Race?

Burnie: "My favorite moment was watching Ashley on stage with the Georgian National Ballet. She absolutely killed that challenge and I will never forget that as long as I live. It was such an incredible moment."

Ashley: "I feel obligated now, thanks to Burnie’s nice answer, to say that my favorite moment was seeing him in the tiny gold swimsuit in Dubai."

5. When did you feel most proud of your partner during the Race?

Burnie: "Mine was the amount of preparation that Ashley did to get ready for this. There was a moment in Mexico City where Ashley outran the Frisbee boys. That was really impressive. Also, in Dubai when we were on the bicycles and I said, 'Let’s just take it easy since we can’t win,' but she could not give anything less than 100-percent and we ended up in second place."

Ashley: "It's hard to pick one moment because every time [Burnie] went into a Roadblock and he came out several spots ahead, I was very impressed and proud."

6. How does it feel to know so many fans were rooting for you to win?

Ashley: "It has been very humbling to have so many people cheering for us and supporting us. We have been receiving tweets and messages from people who had never watched before and are watching for the first time with their parents. Being able to introduce more people to the show that we love so much has been great."

Burnie: "My favorite part is to see the posts from people who are watching with their parents. It's really cool to see that."

7. Where was the best place you visited?

Burnie: "Oh, gosh. For me, it was the top of the mountain in Chamonix. That was just incredible. I had never been to the top of the mountain and you felt like you were on the top of the world."

Ashley: "Everywhere you looked [from the top of Chamonix], you felt like you were looking at a postcard."

8. If given the chance, would you return for another season of The Amazing Race?

Burnie: "If they told us that we had to walk out of here wearing the clothes we're in and go do it, I would. I would maybe change shoes, though."

Ashley: "Absolutely! My bags are packed. They say that life goes by faster as you get older because there are fewer firsts. This experience was absolutely amazing and every time I think about it, I feel younger."

Watch the episode where Burnie and Ashley were eliminated from the show now.

Plus, don't forget to watch the season finale of The Amazing Race on Friday, May 13 at 8/7c.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »
4. What was the most unforgettable moment from the Race?

Burnie: "My favorite moment was watching Ashley on stage with the Georgian National Ballet. She absolutely killed that challenge and I will never forget that as long as I live. It was such an incredible moment."

Ashley: "I feel obligated now, thanks to Burnie’s nice answer, to say that my favorite moment was seeing him in the tiny gold swimsuit in Dubai."

I love these two :lol:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:01 AM »
http://parade.com/476648/joshwigler/rooster-teeths-burnie-ashley-the-amazing-race/

Sometimes, the goose gets away, and it’s the Rooster who gets cooked instead. Such was the case for The Amazing Race contestants Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins, eliminated during season 28’s penultimate leg, just shy of the grand finale.

Throughout their time on the race, the Rooster Teeth video game veterans never picked up a first place finish, but were consistently toward the top of the pack. They placed second for five legs in a row beginning with Leg 6, only to fall on extraordinarily bad luck during their final leg in China.

Here’s what Burnie and Ashely had to say about their key to success on the Race, how their gaming history impacted the competition, their takes on the three remaining finalists, and what they have planned next.

PARADE | You earned several second place finishes during the race…

Ashley: We were collecting them!

PARADE | What was the key to that consistency?

Ashley: We had a really good track record of choosing the best person for our Roadblock. We were very focused on working together as a team. Everything we approached, we approached with a team mentality: “We’re going to knock this out together. What can I be doing right now to help our team the most?”

Burnie: Yeah, I think the trend for our team across the season was making up ground in Roadblocks and losing ground in Detours. Almost every leg was like that for us. If we could just put together a knock-it-dead Detour, then we would have a pretty good leg, always. Those were the times where we were pretty close to finishing in first. Even in Dubai, when [Brodie and Kurt] used the Express Pass, we switched Detours and did well enough in the Roadblock where we did well enough to get back into second place.

Ashley: And the navigation. We worked together as a team in the navigation for that one, and we drove ourselves straight to our destination every time.

PARADE | Not to point fingers, but this season, we’ve seen a few teams melting down at each other along the way. You were both always level-headed with one another. How hard is it to maintain your cool with your partner?

Burnie: Anybody who has traveled with a significant other before knows it’s tough. Travel is stressful. When you add the competition on top of it, and all of the tasks — and you string ten of those trips together? Yeah, it’s pretty stressful. I can totally understand when teams start griping at each other. It’s a way to deal with the stress. But Ashley and I were real careful. We had a thing we would say to each other: “Same team. It’s us against everyone else.” We just relied on one another.

Ashley: The last thing you need is to be against each other when it’s you against the world.

PARADE | How much did your career as gamers influence your success?

Burnie: It made us a little more analytical. We approached legs almost as levels in a game. What’s the goal for this level? How do we get through it? That approach definitely helped us a lot.

Ashley: Games have also taught us to think on our feet a lot. When any situation comes up, we instantly look at it as: “What can I do in this moment with the pieces I’m given to make the most out of it for my team?”

Burnie: It would have been nice to have an extra life. [Laughs] That’s part of the race, though. You never know when [non-elimination legs] are going to come. They’re pre-planned, but we have no idea. You just never know. We didn’t even know when we got to the mat in fourth in China. It was possible we were still in it. They’ve done four-team finales before, so you don’t know.

Ashley: You never know.

PARADE | So when you were rounding that corner in China, you still had hope as you were running up the stairs?

Burnie: There was a little bit of speculative hope, but we were very sure that we were in last place. In fact, I made a joke: “Hey, maybe we’re in first!” At that point, we had been looking for the Pit Stop for about 45 minutes. We knew at that point we were going home.

Ashley: One thing we’ve heard a lot about the Race, even before we went into it, and it really does bear out, is that the hardest part of the Race isn’t the challenges. Those are very difficult. But the hardest part of the Race is getting from Point A to Point B, because so often, it’s in someone else’s hands. In this case, the clue we were given was a painting of the Shenzen Cultural Center, and it’s enormous. The library is maybe two blocks away from that. The building is so big that it has to be two blocks away just to fit it into the background shot. So we get to that general area, and without being able to speak the language, trying to ask someone where the library is… we asked dozens and dozens of people, and no one could tell us where it was. That’s really the hardest, most frustrating part. We did the challenge. We made the switch. We still got out of the Detour in third place — but we needed other people’s help to find the Pit Stop. We just didn’t get lucky until it was too late.

Burnie: We probably asked people for more directions in China than we did in all of the other legs combined. I wouldn’t be surprised if we asked 40 people for directions that day.

PARADE | And how did that go?

Burnie: That sucked. [Laughs]

Ashley: I’m learning Mandarin now. [Laughs] I feel like I have to learn it, because now I need to beat it.

Burnie: I hate to even bring this up, but… we did so much prep for the Race, and the thing that’s hardest to me looking back is I had one of those electric unicycles in my Amazon shopping cart. Literally one of those. When we got back from the Race, it was still in my shopping cart. And when you shop for something online, it shows that thing in ads on every other website that you go to. I kept seeing that damn unicycle everywhere I went for a month after that.

Ashley: It was haunting him.

Burnie: I think I bought paper towels just so I wouldn’t see the unicycle anymore. [Laughs] Isn’t that crazy? And I think, oddly enough, that influenced my decision to do the unicycles. I was like, “Oh, I know what those things are!” But I have no idea why I thought that was going to help us. My mind was just not working after that Roadblock challenge.

PARADE | Sure, but on any other day, when you’re not in the middle of a competition, the unicycle looked like the most fun thing ever.

Ashley: Oh, yeah. And that’s one of the reasons we decided to give that Detour a shot, though. Earlier in the Race, in Charmonix, we did what we thought was the safe bet in the Detour and decided to build a tent. Everyone else took the via ferrata. Not only was that a poor decision because it was the longer Detour, but afterward, hearing about it and seeing it, we realized we took the dull one. We should have taken the one that was fun. With this Detour choice, we could go and shut ourselves in an art gallery and hang paintings for a while, but we were so excited to get to China. It’s a bucket list country for us. We always wanted to go. We thought, “We’re here. Let’s do something fun.” We had a lead over Cole and Sheri. The Detours were right next to one another. We knew we could make a switch pretty quickly if we needed to. And we thought, “We’re here. Let’s try something fun before we do the boring thing.”

Burnie: We were only a block away. We figured we would give it a shot and then hop off and do the other Detour. That’s what we did in Dubai, but the Detours were 20 kilometers apart. Here, it was like a block. Way less of a risk, it felt like.

PARADE | So you don’t regret going for the unicycle?

Burnie: I think there were a lot of things that day that built up that led to us being eliminated. Choosing the unicycles is probably the thing we had the most control over.

PARADE | Where does the bad day begin, then?

Burnie: Really, the leg was designed so well, because the language barrier in China is so severe for all teams. If you look at the way it was structured, the first challenge of the day was to navigate an amusement park. We were sprinting back and forth for about an hour — sprinting from one exhibit to another. The only people we could ask [for help] that were around were not just people who speak another language, but also tourists, because we’re in an amusement park. They have no idea where anything is. Then, after that, the Detour we had to navigate to, we had to ask for directions with our paintings so we can find the gallery, and that took an extraordinary amount of time. Then, the Pit Stop was designed so the clue didn’t tell you exactly where to go. It told you how to get close, and then you need to find directions on how to get to the actual place. It was a day of navigating directions and language barriers. All of those things added up. Adding an extra detour to it didn’t help.

PARADE | Tyler and Korey were acting a bit sneaky on your final leg. Was it frustrating going up against them that day?

Burnie: It was more frustrating going up against Tyler and Korey when they teamed up with Dana and Matt, because the challenge was really geared towards two teams working together. That was a big advantage. Not every challenge is like that. You’re not going to carry coconuts for every team. But when you’re trying to find answers for these things, you have two sets of eyes and two sets of legs, and you can split up. When you’re doing a challenge with your teammates, you can’t split up and ask for directions. If you’re working with another team, you can have people split up and share answers. That was the more frustrating part. But the gamesmanship and the misdirection? No, we liked that. That’s fun for us. You heard me firing back. It was a good time.

Ashley: Yeah, that felt like home.

Burnie: We’re used to that. That felt like gaming culture. It’s totally within the rules, and it motivates you to do better.

Ashley: Maybe we would have been a little more bitter about it, if Burnie hadn’t passed them both anyway.

Burnie: Ah, look at you. Building up my ego. [Laughs]

PARADE | Looking back at the previous episode, when you made sure the Frisbee Bros would get U-Turned…

Ashley: I love how everybody’s calling them the Frisbee Bros.

Burnie: We called them Dark Horse.

Ashley: It’s something Brodie would say all the time.

Burnie: Whenever something weird would happen, they would say, “Ooh… Dark Horse.”

Ashley: Like, anything unexpected.

Burnie: “Oh, we have to roll all the way out to this fishing boat?”

Both: “DARK HORSE.”

PARADE | Okay, so “Frisbee Bros” is appropriate, then. But you make this choice very quickly to burn the U-Turn on Tyler and Korey, so Brodie and Kurt have no chance of reversing the U-Turn. Talk me through the process.

Burnie: Basically, as a team that considers itself to be a strategic team, when we get into a situation, we try to figure out what the best scenario is given the circumstances we have. We can’t change the circumstances; there’s only one spot on the board. We can’t change the fact that Tyler and Korey chose to U-Turn Brodie and Kurt. What can we do in this situation? U-Turning Sheri and Cole didn’t make sense to us. U-Turning Dana and Matt didn’t make sense. Leaving it empty? As a team that’s in second place all the time, if we walked away from a U-Turn board, as a viewer, it would be like, “What are these people doing? Do they even want to win?” So U-Turning Tyler and Korey was just the best outcome for our team. That was the best thing we could have done in that moment. If we had gotten to the board first, we would have U-Turned Tyler and Korey. If we had gotten there and we were U-Turned, we probably would have used it on Sheri and Cole. Those were the options that made the most sense in those scenarios, but we didn’t hit those scenarios. We hit the one we hit.

PARADE | Why hit Tyler and Korey instead of Team “Dark Horse”?

Ashley: As we got further in the Race, Tyler and Korey were hitting their stride. The last couple of legs, the Frisbee Bros were starting to run into a little bit more trouble, because they were in a position where Brodie now had to do all of the Roadblocks, regardless of whether they were according to his talents. We thought that at that point in the Race, Tyler and Korey were probably a bigger threat, even though the Frisbee Bros look like the bigger threat on paper.

Burnie: Momentum’s a big thing, too. Teams go through periods where all the sudden they do poorly and need to play catch up, but Tyler and Korey were well past that point. They had bad legs in Armenia and Georgia back-to-back, but they were recovering in Dubai and did really well in Bali. They seemed like much more of a threat at that point in time.

PARADE | How has the Rooster Teeth community responded to your time on the show?

Burnie: They’re great. We have a lot of young people in our audience, some of them probably born after the first season of The Amazing Race aired. We get a lot of great posts and tweets from kids and their parents watching the show together. That’s really great.

Ashley: I like hearing, too, how many people didn’t know about the show or didn’t watch the show and are now diehard fans. As fans of the show ourselves, it’s really wonderful that we were able to introduce more people to a show that we love.

Burnie: I mean, there’s a subreddit for The Amazing Race that as of this season just completely exploded. That’s where we spend our time on some of the broadcasts, posting in there. I know it’ll be huge in there next season. They’ll have a whole new audience based on the people that watched the cast this year.

PARADE | Did you run into any fans while you were running the Race?

Burnie: We did, but hey, let me ask you a question. Who do you think would be the most recognizable person [from our cast] around the world?

PARADE | I would bet Tyler.

Burnie: My bet would be Tyler, too. He was definitely the most mobbable. We were always looking for a group of teenage girls so we could say, “Hey! Tyler Oakley’s over there! Go get a selfie with him!” So we could sabotage Tyler. [Laughs] We were always looking for that opportunity, but it never really presented itself. But the person who was recognized the most was actually Zach King. We could be in a desert in the middle of Dubai and a guy would go up to him and say: “Magic Vines!”

Ashley: It was great.

Burnie: We ran into fans everywhere. We were in an airport in Bali and we had fans follow us out that night to take selfies with us. It’s really great to see fans all over the world. When we got back, we saw lots of fans tweeting at us saying, “I can’t believe they’re going to Shenzhen! That’s my hometown!” And I was just like, “Where. Were. You.” [Laughs]

PARADE | Moving into the finale, what were your thoughts on the three remaining teams?

Burnie: I’m taking this from the perspective of how we felt when we were on that mat in China, because we were asked that question then as well. They asked us: “Who do you think is going to win?” I immediately responded: Tyler and Korey. They have so many first place finishes. When they put their heads to it, they’re super strong. They’re certainly capable of having bad legs. Look at what happened in Armenia and Georgia. They were second to last on both of those legs. They can definitely have a bad leg, but they’re in a position to win this thing.

Dana and Matt, they won the first leg. I honestly didn’t much understand their strategy, because they were helping a team that was, in my opinion, much stronger than them get to the finals. But one thing about Dana and Matt is that out of the top five teams, they’re the only team that never used an Express Pass, a non-elimination leg, or a U-Turn in any way. They didn’t use any of the power pieces in the game. They just raced straight through to the finals.

And then Sheri and Cole, they just refused to die. They keep going no matter what. They’re the Energizer Bunny. They keep going. They’re like Pepé Le Pew, where it doesn’t look like they’re moving at a full speed, but somehow they catch up and always manage to make it to the mat.

So, if Dana and Matt can work together, they’re a super strong team. If Tyler and Korey stick to their game plan, they’re great. Then with Sheri and Cole, if they keep their spirits up and their heads in the game, especially with navigation, I think they have a great shot.

PARADE | What are you working on now? What’s coming up?

Ashley: We’re about to take a trip to India, which is our other bucket list country.

Burnie: And we’re about to launch a Kickstarter for our first ever card game. It’s called the “Million Dollars, But…” card game. It was a show that we had and it was enormously popular, and it just lends itself so well to a table top game. It’s coming out tomorrow, and info will be all over RoosterTeeth.com.

PARADE | Taking one last look back it all, what would you have done differently?

Burnie: I would have bought that damn unicycle.

Ashley: I would have learned Chinese!

Josh Wigler is a writer, editor and podcaster who has been published by MTV News, New York Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter, Comic Book Resources and more. He is the co-author of The Evolution of Strategy: 30 Seasons of Survivor, an audiobook chronicling the reality TV show’s transformation, and one of the hosts of Post Show Recaps, a podcast about film and television. Follow Josh on Twitter @roundhoward.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:24 AM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-the-amazing-race-burnie-burns-and-ashley-jenkins-confirm-they-are-engaged-19774.php

Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race's Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins confirm they are engaged
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 05/10/2016

The Amazing Race "Dating Couple" Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins are no longer just dating!

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Tuesday, Burnie and Ashley -- who got eliminated during Friday night's episode of The Amazing Race -- confirmed their engagement.

"We're engaged now!" Burnie revealed. "We got engaged about a month after we got back from the Race."

Burnie's decision to propose to Ashley was apparently premeditated and not spontaneous.

"Burnie didn't tell me this, but apparently when we were in Bali, he spent some of our leg money to buy a ring," Ashley said.

"I did! I bought a little string ring, but once we got back to the US, it didn't feel like that was appropriate," Burnie admitted before Ashley let out a big laugh.

He continued, "So I replaced it with a real ring. And yeah, we got engaged shortly after that."

Burnie and Ashley currently reside in Austin, TX. Burnie runs Rooster Teeth, one of the largest gaming sites with more than 8.2 million subscribers on YouTube, and Ashley serves as his co-host.

The couple became the eighth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's eleventh Pit Stop at Shenzhen Library Terrace in Shenzhen, China, in last place.

"It is enormously disappointing to not make it to the final, the final leg of The Amazing Race," Burnie said following his team's ouster on the show. "We just had a classic bad day on the Race and you can't do that this late in the game."

Three teams are left heading into The Amazing Race's Season 28 finale on Friday, May 13.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2016, 06:05:04 AM »
Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' eliminees Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins talk (Part 1)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 05/11/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins, determining Season 28's Final 3 teams during Friday night's broadcast of the CBS reality competition.

Burnie and Ashley, who recently became engaged although they were dubbed a "Dating Couple" on the show, were the eighth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's eleventh Pit Stop at Shenzhen Library Terrace in Shenzhen, China, in last place.

Burnie and Ashley were a tough team to beat all season long, as they finished in second place numerous times. The couple therefore became a target in China because no one wanted to go up against them in the final leg.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Tuesday, Burnie and Ashley talked about their The Amazing Race experience. Below is the first half. Check back with us soon for the concluding portion.

Reality TV World: The show made it look like you were running around looking for The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan while Sheri LaBrant and Cole LaBrant were doing the same. How long after them did you finally arrive at the Pit Stop? What was the time gap between you and them?

Burnie Burns: We think it was about five minutes. At least one of the co-creators of the show, she would have the best perspective, and she said it was about five minutes. But we looked for the Pit Stop much longer than Sheri and Cole did, from what we understand.

Ashley Jenkins: Yeah, from what we understand, we were looking for it for 30-40 minutes, and their taxi pulled up to it, they got out and heard the music.

Burnie Burns: Right. Because the Pit Stop was not at the painting. It was probably about two blocks away from there. I think it was meant to be. It was a really well-designed leg, because it was a whole day of asking for directions, you know?

We had to ask for directions to the park and we had to ask for directions to the painting, and then the Pit Stop was designed where you had to hunt for that thing. But I do think the moment we got eliminated was when we got out of the cab.

That was the last decision that we made, and we couldn't recover from that. Potentially, you know, you go through, "What ifs?" Potentially, that cab could've done what Sheri and Cole's cab did, which was like, just drop us off right at the library.

Ashley Jenkins: Yeah. But we were stuck in traffic and we were so worried. The driver told us that it was only a couple of blocks away, and he pointed us in the direction, and we took off.

Burnie Burns: Yeah, we were not in a "hey, let's sit still," kind of mindset.

Reality TV World: Burnie, you said on your way up the stairs to the Pit Stop there was a chance you were in first place. So I'm guessing you didn't mean that and you were just trying to be optimistic or something?

Burnie Burns: That was 100% a joke.

Reality TV World: Oh okay. (Laughs)

Burnie Burns: We were looking for the Pit Stop for so long. There's actually a behind-the-scenes video on the YouTube channel where they talk to us right after we got off the mat.

We looked for the Pit Stop for so long, I was worried Phil was going to come find us, when you have that moment of not even making it to the mat and Phil has to come find you to tell you that you're eliminated. Because we could not find this thing! It was 40 minutes of running around in the rain just trying to find the location.

Ashley Jenkins: And we asked dozens and dozens of people all within that Civic Center area, and no one could tell us where the library was.

Burnie Burns: Yeah, that was 100% a joke of me saying that we were in first.

Ashley Jenkins: We knew that was SO long gone. (Laughs)

Burnie Burns: Oh yeah!

Reality TV World: I've heard most of the teams were good friends with each other this season. So if that applies to you guys as well, watching Friday night's episode back, was it a little disheartening to see how excited Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl, as well as Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina, were when they saw Sheri and Cole approaching the Pit Stop mat in third place ahead of you two?

Ashley Jenkins: We have to take it as a little bit of a compliment that they were so happy they didn't have to race against us because they were threatened by us.

Burnie Burns: Yeah, you want teams in the finals that you think you can beat. And listen, I mean, it's really weird for us, but I am happy for Sheri and Cole.

Ashley Jenkins: We're all happy for Sheri and Cole.

Burnie Burns: That's probably one of my favorite moments in the Race, which is so weird because it's also such a low point for me personally in the Race. But yeah, there's no hard feelings, especially from a competition standpoint.

I'm the type of competitor where it's like, when you're on the field, it's a competition, but then when you step off, you can immediately shake hands with everybody. As we say in video games, you say, "Good game. Good game, everybody."

Reality TV World: I was going to ask you, Burnie, if you were frustrated how Tyler had lied to you a couple of times. But it sounds like you understand he and Korey just needed to do that to get ahead?

Burnie Burns: Yeah. The only thing I would say that I probably don't like about that is the fact I used the word "lying," because that has such a negative connotation to it. I mean, that's like misdirection, you know, that's going to take place during the Race.

And actually, you know, the fact that you can see through it makes it better. You realize the game is on; The game is afoot. So, yeah, that kind of stuff didn't bother me that much. I like to play it back and fire back, like when I said, "Are you guys still looking for your clue?" That was at the airport.

Ashley Jenkins: Even throughout that leg, Burnie was having a great time playing against Tyler and Korey and their cheeky racing.

Burnie Burns: Yeah. I was actually kind of surprised seeing it back, like, it did seem a little bit more like we were at odds. Neither of us remembered since that actual leg took place.

The one thing I can say for sure -- I can't speak for the other teams -- but this was 11 legs in. We were absolutely -- I was absolutely fatigued by this point in time. The way it builds up over time, it's just like, I don't think there's any way to possibly prepare for that.

Ashley Jenkins: There's absolutely no way.

Burnie Burns: I can't wait to see what the teams are going to be like running in the finale. I mean, there's going to be that adrenaline racing for a million dollars, but at the same time, it just weighs on you.

Reality TV World: You just mentioned how you're really happy for Sheri and Cole that they made the Final 3. So it sounds like you think they are deserving although they luckily survived two non-elimination legs? I didn't know if that would be a tough pill for you guys to swallow considering you had so many second-place finishes and they had so many last-place ones. (Laughs)

Burnie Burns: There's actually a weird record with that. We have a weird record, and they have a weird record.

Ashley Jenkins: Apparently, we are the highest ranked team to go through the Race without a single win.

Burnie Burns: Based on finish time -- average finish rank.

Ashley Jenkins: Yeah, and [Sheri and Cole] are the -- I think they have the lowest finish average of any team to make the Final 3. So, they are absolutely a dark horse. They did have the two non-eliminations, and it's always scary when you see a non-elimination go by, because you know there's one fewer ahead just in case you have a bad day. But on this leg, I don't think anyone can argue that they didn't earn it.

Burnie Burns: Right.

Ashley Jenkins: They raced that entire leg on their own two feet with no real help from anybody, and they came out ontop!

Burnie Burns: Non-elimination legs are part of the Race, and they did get two of them -- which gave them three lives in the Race -- but at the same time, we took part in using a U-Turn, and so did Tyler and Korey. [Kurt Gibson and Brodie Smith] had the Express Pass.

Those are all parts of the Race. They are events that take place and, as you get to them first, you can take advantage of them. Dana and Matt are the only people in the finals, really the only people in the Top 5, that never used anything at all to their advantage. They just had a straight race through.

Reality TV World: How much time did you spend at the unicycle Detour task, and do you regret not trying to stick it out for a little longer? Or do you think you made the right choice in switching to the art gallery task?

Burnie Burns: Man, I'll let Ashley answer this, but I don't really regret sticking it out longer. I regret trying it in the first place, because that was my idea. We actually selected the paintings first, and then on the train ride, I realized what the unicycles were -- because, this is going to be a horrible thing to say -- but when we were preparing for the Race, we did lots of things.

I had in my Amazon shopping cart one of those unicycles. I don't know what made me put it in there. It was, like, a $600 unicycle. So, for like two months, I didn't buy it. When I got back from the Race, it was still in my shopping cart. To think about that is just crazy to me.

It's like, I don't know why that made me think we should give it a shot, but I just felt like, "I know what this thing it. It's like a Segway, and we can do this. It's not like a sit-down unicycle." And I just wish that I hadn't convinced Ashley to do that.

Ashley Jenkins: Well, if I thought that was the one event that put us out of the Race, I would regret it more. But as we were discussing the different tasks, we knew that doing the paintings would involve shutting ourselves into an art gallery for a while. And we thought, "We've taken a lot of safe choices."

We did the safe choice in Chamonix. We did the safe, reliable choice, and that Detour almost put us out of the Race. We thought, "We've come all the way to China. This is a bucket-list country for us. We've always wanted to come. We didn't come to lock ourselves in an art gallery. Let's try something fun."

Burnie Burns: Yeah! Give it a shot and do something fun and exciting.

Ashley Jenkins: And we felt like we had the flexibility to do that because we did have the lead over Sheri and Cole.

Burnie Burns: Also, we made a switch in Dubai that worked out well for us, using the same theory. And those Detours were probably 25 kilometers apart. Here, the Detours were a block away from each other. So, it was like, they were in the same art district, so we felt like we could easily try it and then move to the next one. But the wardrobe change, I think, changed that into a risk a little bit.

Ashley Jenkins: It did a little bit.

Burnie Burns: It made the task more of a risk.

Ashley Jenkins: But we did still try it for a little while. We switched and we did complete our other Detour, still, in third place.

Burnie Burns: Yes.

Ashley Jenkins: So, I think while that was a contributing factor, I don't think that single decision is what put us out of this Race.

Burnie Burns: There were a lot of things that led to us being eliminated. I think choosing the unicycle is probably the thing we had the most control over. So, in that sense, yeah, I would think so.

Check back with Reality TV World soon for the concluding portion of Burnie and Ashley's exclusive The Amazing Race interview.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 06:05:42 AM »
Exclusive: 'The Amazing Race' team Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins talk (Part 2)
By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 05/13/2016

The Amazing Race eliminated "Dating Couple" Burnie Burns and Ashley Jenkins, determining Season 28's Final 3 teams during the penultimate broadcast of the CBS reality competition.

Burnie and Ashley became the eighth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's eleventh Pit Stop at Shenzhen Library Terrace in Shenzhen, China, in last place.

Burnie and Ashley were a tough team to beat all season long, as they finished in second place numerous times. The couple therefore became a target in China because no one wanted to go up against them in the final leg.

During an exclusive interview with Reality TV World on Tuesday, Burnie and Ashley talked about their The Amazing Race experience. Below is the concluding portion. Click here to read the first half.

Reality TV World: Do you think it's a tougher blow to get eliminated before the final leg than it would be to race in the final leg and lose the million? What do you imagine is worse?

Burnie Burns: Man, that's a great question! That's a great question. We don't know because we only did our way.

Ashley Jenkins: We'd be more than happy to try the other way!

Burnie Burns: (Laughs) Yeah, we'd be happy to do a do-over! I can say that Ashley and I -- I'm pretty sure it was in Armenia -- we were like, "Okay, if we get eliminated tomorrow, I would still be really happy with this experience." And then when we got to China, we realized, "We've gone the whole way. We will be at every step of the way until the finish line."

So we thought we were very grateful to be able to travel to every country [this season], so that was the good part to us. So, I mean, obviously we want to be racing for the million dollars though. That's definitely preferable to being eliminated.

Ashley Jenkins: Yeah, we're gamers. We don't like losing at any level.

Burnie Burns: Yeah.

Reality TV World:  How long do you think it took you to complete the art gallery Detour task?

Burnie Burns: The hardest part about it was -- and it shouldn't have been the hardest part of it -- we kind of nailed the hanging of the paintings pretty well, even though our art gallery, well, I was watching it back and there's a point when we go into [Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl]'s art gallery.

Ashley Jenkins: They had a huge art gallery!

Burnie Burns: Our art gallery was so small that we were in, we couldn't flip over paintings in it. We had to take paintings outside, flip them over and bring them back in. There was no way anyone else needed to do this.

Ashley Jenkins: (Laughs)

Burnie Burns: There's a behind-the-scenes video on The Amazing Race YouTube channel called "walking in circles." It took us forever to get the paintings and find the art gallery. We asked probably three people for directions and nobody could read the address. They all just, like, pointed in the general direction. That was probably the single most frustrating part of that.

Ashley Jenkins: I think we spent at least 15 or 20 minutes carrying around a whole bunch of heavy paintings and everyone pointing us in a different direction. It was extraordinarily frustrating.

Burnie Burns: Yeah, if I look at this leg like a game level, the way it was designed, it was designed so well. Because it was basically a whole day of trying to find things and get directions while in a place where the language barrier was probably the hardest.

In the amusement park, we had to run around and find things, and the only people we could ask were tourists in the amusement park, and then we had to find the art gallery, and then we had a Pit Stop that was in a two-block radius and we had to find that. So it was really well-designed.

Ashley Jenkins: After this leg, I started learning Mandarin.

Burnie Burns: (Laughs)

Reality TV World:  I don't blame you. (Laughs)

Ashley Jenkins: I can ask, "Where is the library?" in Mandarin any day!

Burnie Burns: She also bought that unicycle.

Ashley Jenkins: I did. You have to take the moments you fell down as an opportunity to save yourself, and so, I'm going to conquer a unicycle and I'm going to conquer Mandarin.

Burnie Burns: There you go!

Ashley Jenkins: And then, I will be that much stronger.

Reality TV World:  You two made the biggest move this season by U-Turning Tyler and Korey to ensure Brodie Smith and Kurt Gibson would be the only team completing both sides of the Detour so they'd go home. Korey felt bad about U-Turning the guys at first and Tyler had to talk him out of it. Did you experience any guilt after that? Did Brodie and Kurt ever say anything to you?

Ashley Jenkins: We traveled a lot in the early part of the Race with Brodie and Kurt, and we really like those guys. We think the world of them. They are both incredible competitors and they're both such nice guys as well. We also lost three footraces to the mat to those two players.

Burnie Burns: We lost in Mexico City, we lost in Chamonix, and we lost in Dubai. Three straight footraces we lost to those guys.

Ashley Jenkins: So we knew that if we were to have any sort of chance at taking the million dollars, they would make it that much harder for us. That was one consideration, but we also, when we got to that U-Turn board, all you can do is play with the pieces you're provided. And we had a couple of options there. Because [Brodie and Kurt] were already U-Turned, we could either leave it and let them U-Turn someone else...

Burnie Burns: Probably [Sheri LaBrant and Cole LaBrant].

Ashley Jenkins: And stay in the Race, or we could have U-Turned someone else on their behalf -- and that probably would have been Sheri and Cole -- or we could make sure that they went out. From a strategic standpoint, only one of those made any sense.

Burnie Burns: Yeah. I mean, you get to that board and the scenario is that you can't change what you are presented with. We just looked at what was there and we had to make the best choice for our team at that point in time. We were the strategy team. I think that was our strength. And, you know, we never asked the fast team not to run.

I think I would've felt more guilty if we had gotten all of these second places, we get to the U-Turn board and are like, "Nope, we're just going to move on! We're not going to use the U-Turn." I would ask as a viewer, like, "Does this team want to win?! Why are they doing this?"

You know what I mean? It's like, that was our opportunity as a team that's racing people who are probably 15 years younger than me and professional athletes. You've got to take the opportunities you can to win. And in terms of Brodie and Kurt, they haven't complained about it one time.

I mean, I think there's been a lot of people complaining on their behalf, but they understand it. They are professional athletes and professional competitors. Yeah, we've seen them since the Race and it's always been -- everything has been fine.

Reality TV World:  What's the status of your relationship now? How are things going?

Burnie Burns: Well, we broke up right after the Race.

Ashley Jenkins: (Laughs)

Reality TV World:  (Laughs) I was hoping there was an announcement or something!

Burnie Burns: Yeah, we're engaged now! We got engaged about a month after we got back from the Race.

Ashley Jenkins: Burnie didn't tell me this, but apparently when we were in Bali, he spent some of our leg money to buy a ring.

Burnie Burns: I did. I bought a little string ring, but then when we got back to the U.S., it didn't feel like that was appropriate. So, I replaced it with a real ring. And yeah, we got engaged shortly after that.

Reality TV World: Well congratulations! And lastly, at the time you guys left the Race, which team were you rooting for to win?

Burnie Burns: On the mat, I don't think we were rooting for anybody in particular, but they asked, "Who do you think is going to win it?" And we said, "Tyler and Korey." Just looking at averages and the strength of the teams...

Ashley Jenkins: They've been so dominant the last half of the Race.

Burnie Burns: But anybody can win it! That's what we were thinking, you know? [Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina] won the first leg, they didn't use any of the power pieces. And Sheri and Cole...

Ashley Jenkins: You said, "They refuse to die."

Burnie Burns: Yes! (Laughs) They refuse to die.

Ashley Jenkins: They never give up. There were so many tasks that we gave up on and they stuck through.

Burnie Burns: Oh yeah. They just, man, did [great]. So we're not rooting for anyone in particular. We really liked all the teams, but I think Tyler and Korey -- I'll say what I said on the mat when we were eliminated -- I think they're the strongest team and going into the finals, they are going to carry that through.

To read the first half of Burnie and Ashley's exclusive The Amazing Race interview with Reality TV World, click here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:17:51 AM by Platrium »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
For being a very strategic team, I think they could've won the race had they not stumbled in Shenzhen, especially since Tyler & Korey were behind and Matt & Dana let their cab go. :(

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2016, 09:12:01 AM »
For being a very strategic team, I think they could've won the race had they not stumbled in Shenzhen, especially since Tyler & Korey were behind and Matt & Dana let their cab go. :(
There's no way to predict that.
If Tyler & Korey had somehow been out in 4th, you would've said that the finale was theirs to win with such strong past performances had they made it to the F3. But they flopped at most tasks.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
There's no way to predict that.
If Tyler & Korey had somehow been out in 4th, you would've said that the finale was theirs to win with such strong past performances had they made it to the F3. But they flopped at most tasks.
They flop mostly at detours due to their risky decisions. Everything else seems smooth for them.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
I was talking about Tyler & Korey and there was no detour in the finale :lol:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
I was talking about Tyler & Korey and there was no detour in the finale :lol:
There are indeed no detours in the finale, that's why I think Burnie & Ashley would do well, but it seems like we're talking about different teams. :lol:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
You Won't Believe These Fun Facts About The New Amazing Race Cast
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1005631/you-won-t-believe-these-fun-facts-about-the-new-amazing-race-cast/101475/what-are-burnie-and-ashley-s-biggest-accomplishments-/

What are Burnie and Ashley’s biggest accomplishments?

For Burnie, it'd be releasing a book, TV show, and movie all within a two-month span. Then, for Ashley, who started as a professional gamer, it'd be making a living off what she loves most—being the Executive Producer of The Know and sharing her gaming passion with other geeky individuals.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
Here's Burnie and Ashley's newest project: Eleven Little Roosters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=X3eE8L8lP9E

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »
They're having a baby!