Author Topic: TAR 28 MEDIA  (Read 43083 times)

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 28 MEDIA
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 09:06:53 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »
Someone tweeted a picture of the full page of the article I mentioned the other day in TV Guide

See Commercials and Ads new thread for more!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
Nice title! :funny:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Both Amazon and I-Tunes are now taking season passes for their services for season 28 with the "meet the teams" preview now available, in both HD and SD formats. My concern about the CBS All-Access is having access to the episodes when not online, which is why I get the I-Tunes downloads. The Amazon Video has all seasons and episodes available for purchase (or for free with Amazon Prime membership.) We all know how important being able to look at any episode on a moment's notice, right? :) )
-- theschnauzers

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
First three munutes!!!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gXJQYW_MBEs&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gXJQYW_MBEs&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:24:58 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 04:49:31 PM »
I wish I had seen this before I watched it on cbs.com. That was 8-10 minutes of lagging time I'll never get back. It's hard to believe they can get anybody to pay for such crappy video streaming.

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
Both Amazon and I-Tunes are now taking season passes for their services for season 28 with the "meet the teams" preview now available, in both HD and SD formats. My concern about the CBS All-Access is having access to the episodes when not online, which is why I get the I-Tunes downloads. The Amazon Video has all seasons and episodes available for purchase (or for free with Amazon Prime membership.) We all know how important being able to look at any episode on a moment's notice, right? :) )

The past Amazing Race episodes are being taken off Amazon Prime next week.  I have managed to get through watching the first 19 seasons since I started watching them in December.

My views on some of the seasons is much different the 2nd time around.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:06 PM »
Oh wow. We need to nicely protest that somehow....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 03:01:43 AM »
Happy to report those initial 3 minutes on youtube are not geolocked.

Sidenote, virtual starting line is still really weird, understand why it was done like that, but weird nonetheless.

Offline Candi Lee2

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »
The Amazing Race Host Phil Keoghan Gives You An Inside Look At Season 28's First Leg

http://parade.com/456490/joshwigler/the-amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-gives-you-an-inside-look-at-season-28s-first-leg/

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:10 PM »

The past Amazing Race episodes are being taken off Amazon Prime next week.  I have managed to get through watching the first 19 seasons since I started watching them in December.

My views on some of the seasons is much different the 2nd time around.

Amazon is removing all the first 25 seasons from the free Amazon Prime streaming service; however, all of the seasons will remain available as season passes or episodes with downloading rights to two devices. (starting at $9.99 for the earlier seasons. $14.99 after Unfinished Business, Seasons 25 to 28 in SD is $19.99 -- same as a season pass on I-Tunes. The difference is that for the first 25 seasons, you will have to buy a season pass, but for much less that when that season aired.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
The Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan Defends Social Media Theme: "We're Embracing the Zeitgeist"

by Joyce Eng | Feb 11, 2016 4:31 PM EST
 
  

"It's a massive social experiment."

That's how Phil Keoghan describes the new season of The Amazing Race (premieres Friday at 8/7c, CBS) -- and the pun is fully intended. Season 28 features teams of social media stars -- or, as CBS dubs them, "social media influencers" -- including YouTube stars Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl, lifestyle vlogger Blair Fowler, and Marty Cobb of flight attendant demo fame. The announcement was met with some excitement, but also plenty of groans -- which Keoghan says he does not really understand.

"I think for a lot of people, there was this immediate reaction of, 'Ugh, why?' But why not?" he tells TVGuide.com. "It seemed like we were steering our way towards this cast, but it wouldn't have worked years ago. It only works now because we're at a time where we're fascinated by the idea [that] people can go online and create their own channels. ... These people found a way to connect with a small, passionate audience and now they have a chance to connect with a bigger one."

See what else Keoghan has to say about the theme and why these social media stars deserve as fair a shake as any average Joe.

When did you guys first think of doing all social media stars?
Phil Keoghan: I think it was something that was just organic. I don't think it would've even worked as well three or four years ago. ... It only works because we're at a time where we're fascinated by the idea [that] people can go online and create their own channels. This would've been unheard of when we first started. The idea that people had their own shows, their own networks in a way, out there, offering content to fans -- it was unheard of. To me, we're at a pivotal point in the world of content. I almost feel like the bubble is gonna have to burst at some point. There's so much incredible content online and there's so much for people to choose from -- you can watch someone do their hair or you can watch the most well-produced dramas. Who would've imagined? We're embracing the zeitgeist.

You guys kind of embraced the social media aspect in Season 19, when Twitter helped Kaylani get her passport back.
Keoghan: Yeah, and there are still people today that think we set that whole thing up! It just seems implausible that somehow the online community could rally around her and support her. There are still some people who don't understand just how extensive this world is. They take it for granted that that piece of information traveled around the world and came back to Los Angeles and helped them out. And there are others who just don't believe how extensive their reach is and [can't] get their heads around it.

What do you have to say to fans who don't like this theme?
Keoghan: There are some fans that don't understand why we're putting these people on, because they see them as stars. I was trying to explain to some fans at the Super Bowl, "No, these are ordinary people who had something to say, who found a way of saying it when they normally wouldn't have had a way of getting out and talking to people. Tyler just found a way to connect with people. So did Brodie. They have a platform to show something. What's nice is people have a choice to watch it or not." They're not so much stars as they are people who have just found a way to connect with like-minded people. They're as ordinary as anyone we've ever had, if you look at the diversity and their backgrounds. Sure, we've got people who see them as celebrities and some of them have become celebrities, but not a celebrity in the way we've always understood it. They're celebrities in a way that's very niche. Blair is talking about beauty tips. That's not mass, but there's still a huge number of people who watch her. It's just [like] when you see a channel for fishing shows. You and I might never connect with the guy who's telling us how to tie a fly and where we should go fish, but there are millions of people who do -- and how cool is it that they have somebody that they connect to and actually go and learn something?

How did you go about casting? Did you have specific people in mind?
Keoghan: The casting people did a great job. Everybody weighed in on people they thought would be great on the show. My daughter alerted me to Zach King and his [Vines] a couple of years ago because she was just into watching them. I had never heard of Zach. She said, "Hey, Dad, check this out." And it was a video of Zach jumping into a moving car. ... [Pro Frisbee player] Brodie Smith, my daughter also watched him. There was a lot of cross-referencing going on. I learned a lot through talking to my daughter. I knew that when the names she mentioned were being looked at by casting that those were people her age -- she's a junior in college -- are connecting with. ... I was aware of four of the teams we ended up selecting before we did the casting. I did not know, for example, who [Vine stars] Cameron and Darius were. I didn't know who Blair was. My daughter had mentioned [Vine star] Cole, but I hadn't heard of him.

Was there anyone notable who didn't make the cut or turned it down?
Keoghan: Not that I'm aware of. At the end of the day, the person has to want to be on the show because they're a fan. There's no point in getting someone who's really well-known but has no interest in the show. Then it's stunt-[casting] it. Not that we haven't had people who've never watched the show before, but for a theme like this, it's better to have somebody who has a group of fans where they can passionately share the race with them and say, "Hey, this is a show I watch and I'm gonna be on it. I'd love for you to watch it." We always want people who have a passion for the show.

I think a lot of purist fans don't like it when you do cast racers who've never seen the show just for the novelty of the person.
Keoghan: I hear you. But where do you draw the line of if someone is known? How much of their life needs to be known before they're deemed a celebrity? Is Blair a celebrity? She does beauty tips. Is that a celebrity status? How would you determine whether someone is a celebrity or not? Tom Cruise is a celebrity. I don't see myself as a celebrity. I'm known, but it's not the same thing. I don't know. Where do you draw the line? "Oh, no, no, we can't touch them because they're a celebrity."

At this point, it's like any amount of exposure.
Keoghan: Yeah, it's like anyone who's ever had any exposure. But if they were the top football player at their college, are they a celebrity? You're never allowed to be in a paper, written about? To me, it's less about that and more about, are you interesting? Would people be interested in watching you? Do you like the show? Will you provide us great content? I would challenge anybody to look at the diversity of our cast over the years and say we haven't painted with a broad brush. It's not like the show going forward is gonna be social media people. It's just this season.

How do they get along? Is there any animosity on the level of Team Texas and the Green Team last season?
Keoghan: It's interesting because they all have something in common. There are some interesting connections. There are some possibilities of some love connections. There are some possible mutual love connections. There's definitely a competitive aspect. There are not so much alliances, but ... teams feel obliged to help other teams. We have some absolutely mind-blowing new locations: Colombia, Georgia and Armenia. ... Armenia is crazy old world. The things we have them doing [are] so exotic and different. The most exciting thing about this season is the fact that we really pull them offline. They operate in the online world. They connect with people every day and we literally pull them away from that and put them in the real world. It's old school. It's going from digital to analog.

How bad were your predictions this time?
Keoghan: They were a little bit better than what I've done, but still not perfect. I don't think I'll ever be perfect. I actually had two of the top three this time, which is very good for me. I messed up a couple. There's one team that gets eliminated early on in the season and I never saw that coming. That really surprised me. You have to throw out all your pre-conceived ideas because sometimes it just does not make sense. There's always some that do pan out the way you think.

Like the hockey players.
Keoghan: Yeah, you figured they would, but they're the only professional sportspeople who've ever won the race. The snowboarders didn't, Chester and Ephraim didn't, the Globetrotters didn't. It's certainly not a given. The most dominant team has been a husband and wife, with Dave and Rachel. Nobody has come close except the Green Team last season and they didn't do it. You would think, at one point, they had the best chance of anybody. There are definitely some surprising results this season if you think some people will perform a certain way.

The Amazing Race 28 premieres Friday at 8/7c on CBS.

(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS.)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:45 AM »
BVM talks 28!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vfRHfzfSRoc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vfRHfzfSRoc</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
Which one locked up Phil?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R8UDFX6zyLQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R8UDFX6zyLQ</a>
http://www.wusa9.com/videos/entertainment/television/programs/great-day-washington/2016/02/12/the-amazing-race--season-28-premiere/80285198/ another video
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:26:10 PM by bottle »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »
Good Article!!

'The Amazing Race': Phil Keoghan Defines How Social Media Has Changed the Game

10:50 AM PST 2/12/2016  by  Evan Slead   

"This season is #OffTheGrid. It's like a giant social experiment," the host tells THR about the CBS show as it heads into Season 28 with a cast of influencers.

The Amazing Race is about to premiere its 28th season, and the globe-trotting show has decided to change things up to embrace the digital age.

The new season of the CBS competition-reality show, which airs Friday at 8 p.m., features teams of social media influencers and host Phil Keoghan explained (and defended) the casting decision during a post-premiere screening panel at the Arclight Hollywood in Los Angeles on Thursday evening.

Keoghan, who moderated a Q&A session with reporters, positioned this season's cast, which ranges from YouTube sensation Tyler Oakley to Marty Cobb (whose flight-attendant demonstration video went viral in 2015), as “an experiment that will hopefully bring social media fans to The Amazing Race to see their favorite media makers.”

“We’re used to controlling our own content, so this was a good experience,” said castmember Joslyn Davis, host of the YouTube channel Clevver, about her experience filming this season of the long-running series. Burnie Burns, the creator of gaming YouTube channel Rooster Teeth, added, “We had to get used to not having our phones — it was kind of refreshing though.”

After the panel, Keoghan spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about his hopes for the game-changing season and whether any plans for a celebrity theme or fan-favorite season are in the works.

When you were thinking about this season and looking at figures within social media, were you trying to find a diverse group like you have here?

That's imperative for any season. The more diverse the better. We put our potential teams out and we look at the short list and we really want to have a mix of older and younger, single, a mother and a daughter, and so on. We want rich, poor, tall, short, smart, fit, not fit. We would do a disservice if everyone was blonde with a six pack. We really pride ourselves, I think, of being the most diverse cast of any of the reality shows.

What is it about The Amazing Race that keeps you coming back to host year after year?

Well, for me, the writing. Research and writing the scripts. They're constantly changing right up to the last minute so I really enjoy that process. The hosting part I love, but to be honest with you, I love the process of sharing the stories. I think that's what keeps me really engaged is that the teams are so excited. We know that we are sharing the world in a positive light with people all around the world. It's nice to know that we're actually doing something positive like that while also entertaining them. I mean that's sort of what you want to work on. Something that inspires people and makes them feel good as they watch it.

Have you ever thought about doing a season with celebrities?

It's been suggested. I think a season with all celebrities might be a nightmare. I have had celebrities come up to me and say, "I'd love to do The Amazing Race." I always think they have no idea what they're suggesting right now. It's pretty brutal because we shoot 12 shows in 21 days with non-stop action. I think a lot of them would need down time and rest. I don't know though, maybe there are some celebrities out there who would be OK roughing it for a bit.

Which celebrities have approached you?

Neil Patrick Harris mentioned it once. Sarah Jessica Parker, I remember, mentioned it once. I know Ellen [DeGeneres] has mentioned it on her show before. There was a quote from her that if she was on The Amazing Race what she would do. Julia Louis-Dreyfus I know loves the show. Drew Barrymore I think was one. I saw Matthew McConaughey wearing an Amazing Race T-shirt in a magazine. I don't think we'd have trouble getting interest. I think we'd have trouble locking it in. They'd be like, "We have to be gone for how long?!"

Do former castmembers of the show ever come to you or the producers to pitch ideas?

Oh yeah, they come to pitch themselves. I mean, we've had roughly 320 shows, each season has 11 teams of two, that's a lot of people. I keep in contact with a lot of them, but yeah, you can rest assured that they're pitching themselves to come back. I'd love to do a fan-favorite season at some point. I actually suggested it some time ago before it was done on Survivor. I'm not saying it's my idea, but before Survivor executed it I thought it would be a fun idea. I thought, "Why not let the fans track and see who could be potential members of a fan-favorite season?"

It was interesting that last season on Big Brother there were two contestants brought on from The Amazing Race, is that something that could happen again? Would any contestants this season work well?

It's actually happened before. We've had Jeff and Jordan come on. We've also had people from Survivor, so it makes sense that people would wonder about more coming on. On a personal level, I'm less of a fan of that than I am in bringing in some new person with a unique personality. It's not to say it didn't work, but I'm just not as much of a fan of that cross-pollination. I think the shows are so different that to me it's a little confusing. That's my opinion is all.

Talking about reality TV as a whole, there are some shows such as America's Next Top Model that have gone on past 20 seasons to now end. What do you think has made The Amazing Race, Big Brother, and Survivor last as long as they have, and how long do you see them lasting?

I really think it's about the strength of the format. I believe that in terms of sustaining great content, we have a major advantage because our studio is the world. Even on Survivor it's very difficult for them to make the aesthetic of the shows look different from season to season. They rely more on strong format and if it wasn't as strong as it is, then it would struggle because that background element isn't as diverse. Whereas on our show, where you never see anything you've seen before. We make a point that if we do return to a previous location it's for a reason and is referenced. Strong format and great characters are elements that Survivor and Big Brother both have, but I think what we have that they don't, on top of those, is that we have the changing environment. New faces and new places. A lot of other shows put new faces on, but it's the same place. A main part of Big Brother is that house. A big star for our show are the various locations we visit. People will say they can't wait to watch The Amazing Race tonight because they'll get to see different cultures. For these teams, they're so plugged in and online, for them to be so far away from that and on a bridge in the ancient world is extraordinary. The audience is there with them. Most of the time when people see the world in primetime network television, they see the world when something is going wrong. Our show is wall-to-wall what's going on right in the world. When you see this premiere episode in Mexico City, you see a vibrant and pulsing city. You can look at any place and dig into the negative sides of it, that's essentially what the news does, but we're the complete antithesis. We want to find what's positive that we can share with people. A big part of why I feel lucky and honored to be a part of something where I know people come away from it inspired is because we could inspire them to travel to these new places and send a picture that means something.

What would be the idea that you would want to convey to viewers this season?

This season is #OffTheGrid. To me, it's like a giant social experiment. We're living in a time where content is exploding so fast, and to me, at some point the bubble has to burst. Who would've thought that places like Netflix would be creating such strong and amazing content? At the same time that all of that is happening, millions of people are connecting with these so-called ordinary people who are in their bedrooms and houses making huge viral hits. These people have exploded onto the scene. Where it used to be that you had to go through a whole process to get out and connect with people, now Blair can make a video showing how to use a curling iron that will be shown to millions of people. So to take those people who have been through a filter in terms of whether people like them or not and put them into an existing show like this was an interesting experiment. It'll be interesting to see whether the passion they have for The Amazing Race will translate for their followers to come and watch them, or do their followers just want to watch them make beauty tips? I'd like it to be the former and not the latter. I'm hoping that through this, at a time where it's hard to reach new audiences with so much to choose from, they'll love these teams but also realize they love this show. When I hear a 12-year-old binge-watched 10 seasons of The Amazing Race and was probably born after the show even began, I realize that there's a whole audience out there that has never heard of the show. In the clutter of content out there, how are these younger viewers supposed to find The Amazing Race? So this is an experiment to see whether we can reach a new audience by using a cast that has their own audience that don't necessarily watch The Amazing Race. On the flip side, will the viewers that watch The Amazing Race but don't know who these castmembers are go to watch them on their personal channels? I can't tell you what's going to happen, but I'm really interested to see.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-864670
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »

Ukraine, but that is only one country :P

Given current status of the country, I doubt TAR will be back there anytime soon.
-- theschnauzers

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/44Q8danlQB8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/44Q8danlQB8</a>

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »

What happened in Ukraine? :o

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »

What happened in Ukraine? :o

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think he got detained in arrivals.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
^^ In a locked room.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2016, 04:07:34 AM »
TV Hospice: Can 11 Shows Cheat Death?

Broadcast networks have aging series facing potential cancellation, each with a case for sticking it out another season (or pulling the plug). With ratings down for everyone, television's Grim Reaper may be a bit confused.

-snip-

The Amazing Race (CBS), Reality

PRO An all-YouTube stars cast could bring younger eyes to the Feb. 12 premiere, and the TV Academy apparently still is watching the 10-time Emmy winner.

CON After 28 cycles, the pricey production is now a Friday afterthought.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-hospice-can-11-shows-862088