Author Topic: Racing report TAR27, episode 12 is on page 1  (Read 19119 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing report TAR27, episode 12 is on page 1
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:34:43 PM »
Placeholder for title
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:03:57 PM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 1
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 1, "Too much beefcake"
Film date: 2015-06-22 - 2015-06-23

All the distances and driving times are from Google and should be taken with a big grain of salt.

This season start at Venice Beach, Los Angeles. The teams are:
  • Justin & Diana, engaged after he put together a fake Amazing Race for his then girlfriend
  • Tanner & Josh, best friends from Texas
  • Alex & Adam, cousins and short persons
  • Cindy & Rick, newlywed doctors
  • Denise & James Earl, mother and son
  • Jazmine & Danielie, best friends and track stars
  • Logan & Chris, dating paparazzi
  • Tiffany & Krista, friends and cheerleaders
  • Kelsey & Joey, dating news anchors
  • Keliy & Shevone, friends and coworkers at TMZ
  • Ernest & Jin, brothers and dancers

CBS issued a press release telling where and when the start was going to take place so there are a lot of fans watching the start. There are also quite a number of former racers, and Phil makes a special note of Rob & Brennan who won the first season.

Phil tells teams that the first destination is going to be Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He also lets them know that the first task is going to be a bike race. The team which wins that will get the only tickets on the first flight, which arrives 30 minutes ahead of the second.

The team which wins the first leg will get an express pass.

When Phil yells go all teams rush up to the provided taxis and make their way to Mother's beach where the bike race will take place.

"So, the Amazing Race, I kind of consider it like a master test to see if this is something we should tie up a love each other forever", Kelsey does not seem to have seen this show before

At Mother's beach teams find out that the bikes they will be using are water bikes. Each team get one water bike and have to ride a distance of about 1.1miles.

Tanner & Josh manage to break the steering on their bike.

"Dude, I would tow you but you guys are beefcakes", Justin gets the title (to Tanner & Josh when their bike breaks)

At the goal dock teams pick up their backpacks and run up to Phil. A few contestants miss the dock and fall into the water when dismounting their bike. Teams reach Phil in the following order:
  1. Justin & Diana
  2. Denise & James Earl
  3. Kelly & Shevone
  4. Jazmine & Danielle
  5. Kelsey & Joey
  6. Cindy & Rick
  7. Tiffany & Krista
  8. Logan & Chris
  9. Alex & Adam
 10. Ernest & Jin
 11. Tanner & Josh

"A little bit like Norman Bates and his mother", Shevone about Denise & James Earl

The first flight was probably:
  DL1654 LAX-ATX  13:26 - 20:42    (scheduled 13:30 - 20:59)
  DL61   ATL-GIG  22:16 - 08:57+1  (scheduled 22:22 - 08:40+1)

The secdn flight awas probably:
  AA252  LAX-MIA  13:53 - 22:07    (scheduled 14:00 - 22:01)
  AA905  MIA-GIG  23:59 - 09:08+1  (scheduled 23:59 - 09:27+1)

Once they land teams jump into taxis and make their way to Lagoa Helipad (22km 24m). Team arrive there in the following order:
  1. Justin & Diana
  2. Cindy & Rick, about a minute after #1
  3. Denise & James Earl
  4. Tanner & Josh
  5. Jazmine & Danielle
  6. Kelly & Shevone
  7. Logan & Chris
  8. Kelsey & Joey
  9. Alex & Adam
 10. Ernest & Jin
 11. Tiffany & Krista

The clue here contains a fast forward which reads "Make your way to Clube Sao Conrado de Voo Livre in San Coronado beach for a chance to soar above Rio on a hang glider and earn the fast forward. Warning: The fast forward is weather dependent."

Justin & Diana decide to go for the fast forward so they jump into their taxi and go to for it (9km 21m). In interviews they say it took 30 minutes to get there.
 "It's an unbelievable feeling to finally be on the race I mean the fake race was nothing compared to this", Justin

At the fast forward Justin & Diana learn that the wind is too strong at the moment. It doesn't look like it will get better soon so they give up and make their way back to the helipad. They are now firmly in last position.
 "It was my decision to take the fast forward and I wanted that express pass", Justin takes the blame
Justin starts crying in the cab and we realize that he really really wants to be in the race, not be eliminated on the first leg.

Meanwhile at the helipad the route info tells teams they will take a helicopter trip. When they land at Urca Hill the heliport manager will ask them a question about what they have seen (The Christ the redeemer status) which they must answer. Phil does not say what happens if they respond wrongly, but likely they will have to wait a while.

The helicopter tour is, as one could expect, gorgeous. And the statue they will ask about is hard to miss. Once teams land and answer the question, which all teams do correctly, they are give the next clue.

Detour: Sand or Sidewalk

In sand teams must play foot volley (Volleyball where you may not touch the ball with your hands) against local pros. The teams get a handicap and are allowed to use their hands as well. Teams must score 6 points before the pro's score 18 to get their next clue.

In sidewalk teams must solve a 4x3 sliding puzzle which depicts the characteristic sidewalk pattern by Copacabana beach.

Both detours take place by posta 4 on Copacabana beach (5km 16m, assuming they took the cable car down) and require contestants to change int the provide skimpy swimwear. Teams arrive at the actual detour location in the following order:
  1(+1) Cindy & Rick
  2(+1) Denise & James Earl
  3(+1) Tanner & Josh
  4(+1) Jazmine & Danielle
  5(+1) Kelly & Shevone
  6(+1) Logan & Chris
  7(+1) Kelsey & Joey
  8(+1) Alex & Adam
  9(+1) Ernest & Jin
 10(-9) Justin & Diana
 11(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Tiffany and Krista had problems with their taxi which drove them to the wrong part of the beach and refused to drive any further.

Teams doing volleyball feel confident going into the task since their opponents couldn't use their hands. They quickly find out that the local pros are amazing, so they have to struggle.

"Let me do it", Rick wants to do the puzzle by himself
 "Don't underestimate the little people", Jin when Alex & Adam complete volleyball before them
 "We are both 5 foot nothing so this must be impossible", Tiffany has not seen Alex & Adam
 "We're not stupid, this is embarrassing", Kelly when they struggle with the puzzle
 "I really though we were smarter than the cheerleaders, but you know what. We're not", Kelly again

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
  1(+2) Tanner & Josh, sand
  2(+2) Jazmine & Danielle, sand
  3(-1) Denise & James Earl, sidewalk
  4(-3) Cindy & Rick, sidewalk
  5(+1) Logan & Chris, sand
  6(+2) Alex & Adam, sand
  7(+0) Kelsey & Joey, started sidewalk but switched to sand
  8(+1) Ernest & Jin, sand
  9(+1) Justin & Diana, started sidewalk but switched to sand
 10(+1) Tiffany & Krista, started sand but switched to sidewalk
 11(-6) Kelly & Shevone, start sand but switch to sidewalk which they complete after 3h45m

Route info: "Make your way to Arpoador lookout, your next pit stop."

Tanner & Josh get told they can walk to Arpoador so they take off walking. Meanwhile Jazmine & Danielle jump into a taxi.

Teams reach Phil at the Arpoador lookout (3.2km 12m)in the following order:
  1(+0) Tanner & Josh, win the express pass
  2(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
  3(+1) Cindy & Rick
  4(-1) Denise & James Earl
  5(+0) Logan & Chris
  6(+0) Alex & Adam
  7(+1) Ernest & Jin
  8(-1) Kelsey & Joey
  9(+0) Justin & Diana
 10(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Here we learn that they can use the express pass to skip any task before the end of the fifth leg. Once they use it they must hand it over to another team, which have to use it in the next leg.

Denise & James Earl couldn't find a taxi willing to take them in their swimwear (they didn't realize they could change back afte rthe task) so they made their way on foot. As did Tanner & Josh.

"I'm still confident, but I'm definitely not cocky", Justin after their near elimination

Kelly & Shevone does not even make it to the pit stop. instead Phil comes out and eliminates them at the detour just after they finally completed it.

"Maybe we should be nicer", Shevone agrees that karma may be a thing
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:03:09 AM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 2
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 2, "Get In There and Think Like A Dog"
Film date: 2015-06-24 - 2015-06-25

The last leg ended by a lookout point next to Copacabana beach in Rio. Teams are not released from the beach nearby. Teams are released in the following order:

Tanner & Josh       09:40
Jazmine & Danielle  09:44+0:04
Cindy & Rick        09:48+0:08
Denise & James Earl 09:56+0:16
Logan & Chris,      ??:??+?:??
Alex & Adam         ??:??+?:??
Ernest & Jin        ??:??+?:??
Kelsey & Joey       ??:??+?:??
Justin & Diana      ??:??+?:??
Tiffany & Krista    ??:??+?:??

The first clue reads:
  ROUTE INFO

Fly to Buenos Aires,
Argentina!

When you arrive, search
for your next clue at the
church where Pope
Francis was baptized.

You have $215 for this
leg of the race

All teams seem to make their way to the same nearby travel agency before they make their way to the airport. While they wait most teams try to figure out which church they need to go to (Basílica María Auxiliadora y San Carlos). There are agreements to share information, agreements not to share information and agreements which are broken.

We learn that Tanner & Josh have do not really like Justin, he just rubs them the wrong way.

All teams ended up on the same flight to Buenos Aires:
  AR1257  GIG-AEP  20:20-23:45

As they arrive there is the customary rush to the taxis, and this time it really is a good idea to make haste. That is because even though the church is closed, as expected, there is a sign:
Church open at 7:30 am
  Take a number
You will be admitted in the
  order you arrived
Given how close the legs typically are in modern versions of the race it is a big advantage to get a head start.

Teams arrive at the church (9.6km, 30min) and get the following numbers:
   1. Justin & Diana
   2. Logan & Chris
   3. Tanner & Josh
   4. Alex & Adam
   5. Cindy & Rick
   6. Kelsey & Joey
   7. Ernest & Jin
   8. Tiffany & Krista
   9. Denise & James Earl
  10. Jazmine & Danielle

The next morning teams are admitted one at a time. They have to walk through the entire church to to reach a priest at the back who gives them their next clue. This is a detour: Cartoneros or Fletero

In Caroneros teams must help the local recycling industry. They will become cartoeros and collect cardboard from recycling bins within a marked area. When they have delivered 100kg of cardboard to the waiting truck they will get their next clue. There are only 8 carts available. This task starts at El Ceibo on Paraguay St, (3.9km, 20min)

In Fletero teams must transport a statue to a new location. They must pick it up in a store (Gabriel del Campo antique shop, 6.3km, 20min) and call for a truck. Then one of them must sit with the status in the back to prevent it from breaking while their team mate directs the river to their destination (Plaza Seeber, 8.9k 18m).

We get to see Logan and Chris argue over which detour to take. Or rather we get to see Logan steamroll over Chris in the matter.

"A lot of people underestimate us, and we're athletes", Tiffany think people underestimate them since they're cheerleaders
 "Weigh this. It'll slow them down", Tanner & Josh just have a small amount of cardboard in their bag, but they want to slow down Justin & Diana
 "Get in there and dig like a dog", Justin gets the (mangled) title
 "Oooo, Whoa, there's dodo in here", Ernest opens a recycling bin

Jazmine & Danielle arrives as team #9 to the cartoneros so there are no more carts available. They decide to head for the collection truck to see if there are any free carts there. And their patience is rewarded and they get Tanner & Josh's cart when the Texans are done.

1(+0) Justin & Diana, cartoneros
  2(+1) Tanner & Josh, cartoneros
  3(-1) Logan & Chris, cartoneros
  4(+5) Denise & James Earl, cartoneros
  5(+0) Cindy & Rick, cartoneros
  6(+0) Kelsey & Joey, flatero
  7(+1) Tiffany & Krista, cartoneros
  8(-1) Ernest & Jin, cartoneros
  9(-5) Alex & Adam, cartoneros
 10(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, cartoneros

Route info: "Make your way to Calle Bartolome Mitre". Here teams find the next clue box (4km, 15min from Cartoneros and 5.2km, 20min from Flateros) in the following order:
  1(+0) Justin & Diana
  2(+0) Tanner & Josh
  3(+0) Logan & Chris
  4(+1) Cindy & Rick
  5(+1) Kelsey & Joey
  6(-2) Denise & James Earl
  7(+0) Tiffany & Krista, arrive as team team #1 is leaving
  8(+0) Ernest & Jin
  9(+0) Alex & Adam
 10(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, arrives as team #5 is leaving

Road block: "Who wants to get sideways?"

In this road block contestants must learn the steps to a tango. The twist is that part through the routine they are hoisted up the wall and must finish the tango sideways with their feet on the wall.

"You're going to be the woman. I'm the man.", Tanners female dance instructor
 "It's a dancing challenge", Justin to Tiffany & Krista as they arrive
 "I was terrified, I'm not gonna lie", Alex is afraid of heights so he did not like this challenge
 "It's  dance", James Earl helps Jazmine & Danielle

Tanner & Josh get really frustrated when Tanner has trouble with this task. But Tanner pulls himself together and eventually completes the task correctly.

Teams complete this road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock)
1(+0)Justin & Diana*     (0-1)On her 2nd attempt
2(+1)Logan* & Chris      (1-0)On her 2nd attempt
3(-1)Tanner* & Josh      (1-0)On his 4th attempt
4(+0)Cindy* & Rick       (1-0)On her 2nd attempt
5(+1)Denise & James Earl*(0-1)On his 1st shown attempt
6(+1)Tiffany & Krista*   (0-1)On her 1st shown attempt
7(-2)Kelsey* & Joey      (1-0)On her 1st shown attempt
8(+0)Ernest & Jin*       (0-1)On his 1th show attempt
9(+0)Alex* & Adam        (1-0)On his 2nd attempt
10(+0)Jazmine* & Danielle (1-0)On her 1st shown attempt

The next route info tells teams to make their way to the next pit stop at Cathedral de Polo (6.5km, 25min). This is a polo playing stadium. Unfortunately for the teams a lot of taxi drivers do not know where this is, or it may be that the contestants pronounce it Cathedral de Pollo, which is not quite the same thing. So it becomes a race to find a driver who understands what they are saying and knows where to go.
 "I made you, you came out of my belly", Denise is very proud of her son after he nailed the dancing challenge
 "We need to turn every single team against them and destroy him", Tanner does not like Justin

"I need to put my shoes on", Jazmine after the road block
 "No you don't, no you don't, we gotta go", Danielle know that every second counts
 "My feet", Later Jazmine complains as they run along the sidewalk, hunting for a taxi
 "It's a million dollars, I'll buy you new feet", Danielle is ruthless

The Cathedral de Polo turns out to be a very big place with multiple entrances to different fields. Phil waits by the largest field and teams reach him in the following order:
  1(+0) Justin & Diana, win a trip to Morocco
  2(+1) Tanner & Josh, win a footrace against #3
  3(+2) Denise & James Earl
  4(-2) Logan & Chris
  5(-1) Cindy & Rick
  6(+0) Tiffany & Krista
  7(+0) Kelsey & Joey
  8(+2) Jazmine & Danielle
  9(-1) Ernest & Jin
 10(-1) Alex & Adam, are eliminated

Tanner & Josh arrive just after Logan & Chris and Denise & James Earl. Tanner & Josh seem to have a very compelling urge to compete so they turn it into a footrace. They manage to pass the other teams, but at great cost.
 "I pulled my hamstring", Tanner
That's not really a good trade for second place on the leg. We will have to see how much this affects them in future legs.

Krista gets to demonstrate the Tango with the pit stop greeter. Jazmine & Danielle have no idea of where they are placed when they arrive. All they know is that they left the road block last and then there was a three-way race to get a taxi. Phil of course uses this to play with them.
 "Jazmine & Danielle, I'm very sorry to tell you that you finished at the back of the pack", Phil, before he tells them they are #8

In the extra scenes we get to see Alex & Adam get driven to the wrong location on their way to the pit stop. The most probably sealed their fate. We see that they are very disappointed that they only got to run two legs. And so are we.
 "It's the trip of a lifetime", Alex describes the race

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 2 is on page 1
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »
Love these!! :tu
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Maf, flight info is wrong. Teams arrived to Buenos Aires at the Ezeiza Airport, not Aeroparque.

And this is how it looks Aeroparque Terminal:

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
I see what you are saying. But on the other hand we have the people at the travel agency saying the flight leaves at 08:25, and AR1257 is the closest one I could find. And we see Ernest & Jin check in to an Aerolinas Argetina flight with a flight number starting with "12".

That given, we still have the footage from Ezeiza. But just before that scene we have teams running out of an airport which looks a lot like AEP.

I would guess that the footage from, Ezeiza is from some future leg (even though it looks like they are getting into the cab).

I think we need additional data form the actual racers to resolve this satisfactory.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
The problem here is that all the sources I checked say the same info (Flightstats, Kayak, Flightaware):

AR1257 GIG-EZE 8.55PM 12.15PM
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
FWIW, the flight LAX to ATL was DELTA 1654 , no doubts. ;)

It oddly landed in a Terminal/Gate not normally used by TAR...that oh yeah, just happened to be  right next to the Buenos Aries flight's gate.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 3
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 2, "Where my dog at?"
Film date: 2015-06-26

The episode starts with Tanner & Josh discussing Tanners torn hamstring.
 "We know that god has a plan for us", Tanner puts his faith in higher powers

The next morning teams are released from what looks to be right outside the polo stadium in the following order:
1.Justin & Diana      05:45
2.Tanner & Josh       06:12+0:27
3.Denise & James Earl 06:13+0:28
4.Logan & Chris,      06:14+0:29
5.Cindy & Rick        06:21+0:36
6.Tiffany & Krista    06:28+0:43
7.Kelsey & Joey       06:30+0:45
8.Jazmine & Danielle  06:53+1:08
9.Ernest & Jin        07:16+1:31

Route info: "Travel by bus to San Antonio de Areco, Argentina". Once teams arrive in this rural town they will catch a ride in a pickup truck to their next clue.

"We butt heads, and when we butt head it's not gonna be good", Denise about not having spent that much time with her son before

Justin & Diana end up on a local bus where the driver says he can take them to the bus to San Antonio de Areco. The other teams all take a taxi to the Retiro bus station.

At the bus terminal Tanner & Josh barely make their bus. They are happy to be the only team on this bus, but just as it is leaving Kelsey & Joey turn up and are let on. Tanner & Josh tell them that they are promising to give the express pass to whichever team which U-turns Justin & Diana.
 "Justin is real in your face, yells, and he's good to and that doesn't help either", Tanner on why they want Justin gone

Their conversation is interrupted when the bus stops at the next bus station (Terminal de Omnibus Ciudad de El Talar) where Justin & Diana boards the bus.
 "It's kind of a relief to see other teams, but it kind of sucks because we had a nice lead", Joey

Ernest & Jin have a hard time finding a taxi which is willing to take them, which is why they missed the 07:30 bus. The next bus left two hours later. They know they are way behind but decide to not give up. They thought they were eliminated in the last leg so there is no giving up in this.

Teams end up on three different buses:
Bus #1: 07:00 - 08:50
  Justin & Diana
  Tanner & Josh
  Kelsey & Joey

Bus #2: 07:30 - 09:35
  Cindy & Rick
  Denise & James Earl
  Jazmine & Danielle
  Logan & Chris
  Tiffany & Krista

Bus #3: 09:30 - 11:30 (that is the scheduled time, according to interviews it ran 30 minutes late as well)
  Ernest & Jin

Once in San Antonio de Areco teams have no problems finding the waiting pickup trucks. Teams are directed to jump onto the back and are driven to their next clue at La Porteña (10km 18min). The first teams run by Phil who live narrates their progress:
 "Justin & Diana have the lead, and will be the first to meet these Gauchos", Phil

Teams get their clue here in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+4) Kelsey & Joey, seconds after #1
 4(+0) Logan & Chris
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+2) Jazmine & Danielle
 7(-4) Denise & James Earl
 8(-2) Tiffany & Krista, seconds after #4
 9(+0) Ernest & Jin, arrive after everybody else have left

Road block: "Who's smoking hot?"

In this road block teams must properly hang meat on racks to be cooked in front of an open fire. To start with they have to fetch three large pieces of meat which then must be hung properly. There are lots of details which contestants must get right.

"I am but you'll do it", Diana think she is hotter
 "Pickup two lambs and a rack of beef ribs", Joey reads the additional info
 "I'm the sexy one, right?", Ernest wants to do the road block

It seems as if no team gets their meat approved on their first attempts. There is always some small or big detail which they do wrong.
 "No? No? so mean", Justin when his meat hanging is rejected

"People, you know, look at Krista & I and they see two little girls. But we are athletes", Tiffany
 "Justin, come on now", Diana does not think Justin should thank the judge quite so profusely after being approved

Denise can not help herself and may be crossing the line and give James Earl a bit too much help:
 "Look at the big slab James Earl, that's where we are going to have trouble with the big slab", Denise
James Earl does not hear her, but that does not matter. The producers did (we learn later).

This is also where we realize that Ernest & Jin need a miracle to survive the leg. They arrive after all the other teams have left so they are way behind. And there is only one more task where they may catch up.

Teams complete this road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+1)Tanner & Josh*      (1-1)
2(+1)Kelsey & Joey*      (1-1)
3(+2)Cindy & Rick*       (1-1)
4(-3)Justin* & Diana     (1-1)
5(+2)Denise & James Earl*(0-2)
6(+0)Jazmine & Danielle* (1-1)
7(-3)Logan & Chris*      (1-1)
8(+0)Tiffany* & Krista   (1-1)
9(+0)Ernest* & Jin       (1-1)

Route info: "Pick up a roasted lamb and deliver it to the festival judges as Plaza Principal". Finding this seems to be easy since teams just jump up onto their trucks again and are driven there (12km 19min).

Once teams deliver their meat, which they do in the same order as they finished the road block, they are given their next clue:

Detour: "Horse or Carriage"

In horse teams must select a polo mallet (at the detour decision point), make their way to the river (500m), along the way change into polo gear and then properly equip a mock polo horse. Finally, after having been approved, they must drag their mock horse back to the plaza where they will get their next clue.

In carriage teams must select a buggy-whip (at the detour decision point), make their way to the La Cinacina estate (450m) change into uniform and then detail a carriage. The detailing seems to mostly consist of dusting it. After having been approved they must drag the carriage to a pair of horses (800m). The horses will be harnessed to the carriage and will then pull it, with the racers, to the plaza where they will get their next clue (300m).

There are only 6 mallets and six buggy whips available. The clue also tells teams they must make their way on foot. Both detours require teams to dress up in appropriate clothes. All teams eave their bags behind in the changing rooms, so we can assume the clues told them to.

Cindy & Rick miss the part about picking up a whip at the detour decision point and instead make it all the way to carriage before realizing they must go back and get a whip.

The carriages are waiting at the La Cinacina estate.

"I got the ass, you get the front", Denise
 "This one does not bite", Chris like the fact that they do not have to dress a real horse

We get to see Denise & James Earl bicker a bit about which way to drag the horse. Is this a s sign of things to come perhaps?

Tiffany & Krista forget their whip where they changed clothes so after they have pushed their carriage all to the horses they have to run back and fetch it. Luckily for them they do not have to bring the carriage with them.

"Where's my dog at", Ernest gets the title as one of the stray dogs runs around while they push their carriage
 "Last place ain't funny", Ernest again

1(+0) Tanner & Josh, horse
 2(+2) Justin & Diana, horse (just as Tiffany & Krista arrive from the road block
 3(-1) Kelsey & Joey, horse
 4(+1) Denise & James Earl, horse
 5(+1) Jazmine & Danielle, horse, less than a minute after #4
 6(+1) Logan & Chris, horse
 7(-4) Cindy & Rick, carriage
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista, carriage
 9(+0) Ernest & Jin, carriage

Route info: "Make your way on foot to your next pit stop". Teams must now make their way on foot to Museo Gauchesco (1.2km).

Justin & Diana realize they are not far behind Tanner & Josh.
 "Keep running baby, maybe we can beat them", Justin
After a while they catch sight of Tanner & Josh, and the footrace is on.

As we are down to the last two teams we get the predictable montage where we are shown Tiffany & Krista, the next to last team, struggling and Ernest & Jin, the last team, flying past all obstacles. But we are not fooled and realize that Ernest & Jin are way behind.

Teams check in with Phil in the following order:
 1(+0) Tanner & Josh, win a trip to Siam Reap, Cambodia
 2(+0) Justin & Diana, less than a minute after #1
 3(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+1) Jazmine & Danielle, less than a minute before the next team
       Denise & James Earl, get a 30 minute penalty since she shouted advice during the road block
 5(+1) Logan & Chris, approximately 22m43s after Denies & James Earl
 6(-2) Denise & James Earl
 7(+0) Cindy & Rick
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 9(+0) Ernest & Jin, are eliminated

At the mat Phil tells the teams that there is going to be a double U-turn on the next leg of the race.
 "We're gonna have to, these guys push us to the absolute limit", Josh think they will U-turn Justin & Diana
 "If you U-turn somebody you'd better hope they go home. I know the race enough to know that", Justin knows this game

Later on Justin interviews that he's not that worried about the U-turn.
 "U-turn us and I'm just going to U-turn a team behind us. And then where there is another U-turn it is time for me to pay you back", Justin

As Ernest & Jin are getting eliminated the local dancers from the plaza turn up so we get to see Ernest & Jin dance with them and they generally seem to have a good time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:35:39 AM by maf »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 3 is on page 1
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 03:21:06 AM »
I love the detailed-ness of all the info here! :hearts:
 :tu
I should check the others in the archives when I feel like, just to add some what-ifs on the what-ifs thread. :lol:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »
There is one mistake on the race report of Leg 3

Chris did the leg 3 roadblock, not Logan
So the roadblock count by the end of leg 3 should be
Logan & Chris* (1-1)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 01:41:14 AM »
There is one mistake on the race report of Leg 3

Chris did the leg 3 roadblock, not Logan

Yes, fixed.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 4
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 4, "Good old fashioned spit in the face"
Film date: 2015-06-27 - 2015-06-30

The last pit stop was at Museo Gauchesco in San Antonio de Areco, Argentina. This episode starts with a shot from that location where Tanner & Josh tell Kelsey & Joey that they promise to give the express pass to whoever U-turns Justin & Diana.
 "So go out and spread the word", Tanner wants all teams ,except one I assume, to know
 "If you guys give us your word, We're in it", Kelsey agrees to the plan

Their plan is to use their express pass to make sure they get to the U-turn board first. Once there U-turn Justin & Diana, then the next team U-turns Tanner & Josh. This would not affect Tanner & Josh since they have already passed but would prevent Justin & Diana from U-turning any other team. This strategy has been used before on the race, but the plan is fragile since it assumes that at least two teams, who are in on the plan, arrive at the board before Justin & Diana.

Tanner & Josh are very focused on this plan throughout this episode. At least that is the way the episode is edited.

The next afternoon teams are released from the local plaza in the following order:
1.Tanner & Josh       15:47
2.Justin & Diana      15:48+0:01
3.Kelsey & Joey       15:56+0:09
4.Jazmine & Danielle  16:14+0:27
5.Logan & Chris,      16:25+0:38
6.Denise & James Earl ??:??+?:??
7.Cindy & Rick        ??:??+?:??
8.Tiffany & Krista    ??:??+?:??

Route info: "Fly to Livingston, Zambia". The route info tells teams that they must first travel by bus to Buenos Aires. It also states that there are only two sets of flights they may take, and the first one only has room for four teams. Teams need to go to a local travel agency to pick up their tickets.

Teams arrive at the travel agency, Areco Tradicion turismo (450m), in the following order:
 1(+0) Tanner & Josh
 2(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 3(+1) Jazmine & Danielle
 4(-2) Justin & Diana
 5(+0) Logan & Chris
 ?(+?) Denise & James Earl
 ?(+?) Cindy & Rick
 ?(+?) Tiffany & Krista

At the bus station we yet again get to see Tanner & Josh talk to the other teams about the U-turn plan. Now and throughout the rest of the episode Justin & Diana get a feeling they are being left out.

Teams probably flew together to Johannesburg on the 28th on:
  4M4540  EZE-GRU  06:52 - 09:43   (scheduled 06:55 - 09:40)
  SA223   GRU-JNB  18:00 - 07:37+1 (scheduled 18:00 - 07:40+1)

Here teams are split on two different flights.

The first fight is:
  SA48  JNB-LVI  10:41 - 12:26  (scheduled 10:40 - 12:30)

This carries:
 Tanner & Josh
 Kelsey & Joey
 Jazmine & Danielle
 Justin & Diana

The second flight is:
  MN6291 JNB-LVI 11:00 - 12:45  (scheduled 11:00 - 12:45)

This carries:
 Logan & Chris
 Denise & James Earl
 Cindy & Rick
 Tiffany & Krista

Once teams land they must make their way to Mukuni village, here they will receive a traditional Mukuni welcome. But first we have the traditional race through the airport to the taxis. Teams get into taxis in the following order:
 1. Kelsey & Joey
 2. Tanner & Josh
 3. Justin & Diana
 4. Jazmine & Danielle
 5. Cindy & Rick
 6. Denise & James Earl
 7. Tiffany & Krista
 8. Logan & Chris

During the taxi ride teams marvel over how beautiful the place is.
 "Anyone but green team in front of us we're happy with", Tanner & Josh are focusing on their plan, which requires Justin & Diana to be no better than 3rd

Teams reach the village in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Justin & Diana
 4(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Denise & James Earl
 7(+1) Logan & Chris
 8(-1) Tiffany & Krista

The welcome consists of being blessed by a woman living in the village. Part of the blessing is her taking a mouthful of water and spitting it out on the contestants. Some teams get it on their bodies and some in their faces.
 "Some good old fashioned spit in the face", Josh gets the title
 "Mukuni village was amazing", Diana
 "Our first ten minutes in Africa, and to get a welcome like that, I mean, it's just amazing", Danielle

After the blessing teams walk through the rest of village before being given their next clue at the back. Nobody get lost so teams receive this clue in the same order as they arrived to the village.

Route info: "Make your way to Batoka Aerodrome and search for your next clue".

Teams jump into their taxis again and make their way to Batoka Aerodrome (15km 39min). They arrive here in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Justin & Diana
 4(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+1) Logan & Chris
 7(-1) Denise & James Earl
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

ROAD BLOCK

Who wants to rise above
the smoke that
thunders?

In this road block contestants are taken on a scenic flight along the Victoria falls in a microlight aircraft. Along the way they must spot their next location. The location, which is marked by a big red and yellow flag, is the knifes-edge bridge. The flag is big so no one have any problems finding it.

Tanner & Josh are really pumped about their express pass and their plan to U-turn Justin & Diana so they do not even look at the task before they whip out their express pass.
 "Man, it stinks that it was a height one, it would have been easy", Josh has second thoughts in their taxi

There is a set of comfy chairs where the contestants not doing the road block can sit and talk to each other.
 "In the history of the Amazing race, when you U-turn a team which is right behind you at the top, It never works out", Justin know the race

Justin uses this time to strike a secret alliance with Joey. Joey later interviews that he feels like a puppet master having alliances in both directions. And that he has no problems breaking the one with Justin. But having two mutually exclusive alliances can come back and bite him in the future.

Generally teams that wait here seem quite surprised that Tanner & Josh used their express pass on this, rather simple, road block.
 "The road block is probably just going to take 20 minutes instead of a detour which typically we would guess an hour, hour and a half", Cindy sums it up

The actual flight looks fantastic. Teams get to see some wildlife before arriving at the falls.
 "It's my first time, and I'm very afraid of heights", Diana

Teams complete the flight part of this road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+1)Tanner & Josh*      (1-2)Used their express pass
2(-1)Kelsey* & Joey      (2-1)
3(+0)Justin & Diana*     (1-2)
4(+0)Jazmine* & Danielle (2-1)
5(+0)Cindy & Rick*       (1-2)
6(+0)Logan* & Chris      (2-1)
7(+0)Denise* & James Earl(1-2)
8(+0)Tiffany & Krista*   (1-2)

After the fight teams jump into taxis. The drivers have no problem understanding where they should be going from the racers descriptions.

We learn that Jazmine tried to get the pilot to tell her what the bridge was called. He would not, but good thinking on her part.
 "I'm really happy that you found the clue, but I'm extremely jealous", Danielle saw how fun the task was

Jazmine & Danielle are a bit confused when their driver arrive at the knifes edge path and say that they have to go to Victoria Falls bridge. This is a different bridge and to reach this they must go into Zimbabwe. As they are in the no-mans land they spot the flag and realize they are heading in the wrong direction.

Teams find the clue at the knifes edge (8km 11min) in the following order:
  - Tanner & Josh, bypassed this part of the task with their express pass
  2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
  3(+0) Justin & Diana, about 5 seconds after #2
  4(+1) Cindy & Rick
  5(+1) Logan & Chris
  6(+1) Denise & James Earl
  7(-3) Jazmine & Danielle
  8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Rote info: "Make your way to Shoestrings in Victoria falls, Zimbabwe, and search for your next clue". Teams must now cross the border into Zimbabwe and make their way to Shoestrings backpackers lodge in Victoria falls (4km 7min + time to pass the border).

"We know where we are going, we have a huge lead, things are great", Josh

When teams arrive at Shoestrings they find a board with eight keys, each labeled with a departure time. Teams arrive here in the following order:
 1(+0) Tanner & Josh, departs at 08:00
 2(+1) Justin & Diana, departs at 08:00
 3(-1) Kelsey & Joey, departs at 08:10
 4(+0) Cindy & Rick, departs at 08:10
 5(+0) Logan & Chris, departs at 08:20
 ?(+?) Denise & James Earl, departs at 08:20
 ?(+?) Jazmine & Danielle, departs at 08:20
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista, departs at 08:20

This surprise mid-leg bunching point surprises the racers and totally wrecks the U-turn plan.
 "We just basically wasted our express pass", A disappointed Josh face the facts
Tanner & Josh do not get any happier when Justin & Diana turn up and nab the second 08:00 departure time.

Tanner & Josh are devastated but decide to try to stick with the plan. They just need to make sure they are first and hope that Kelsey & Joey also beat Justin & Diana to the U-turn. On the other end of the emotional scale we have Justin & Diana who are very happy to have caught up to Tanner & Josh.

The next morning the two first teams meet up as they wait for their 08:00 release time.
 "Listen fellas, I don't plan on U-turning you guys today", Justin
 "We're gonna tell you, we're not gonna U-turn you either", Josh
They even shake hands on this.
 "I also think it would be a great idea to give us the express pass", Justin has a sense of humor as well

The episode then cuts to interviews with both teams, which are made later in the race. Here Justin say that he may U-turn Tanner & Josh and Tanner says they will U-turn Justin & Diana.

At the given departure time teams are given their next clue envelope.

Detour: "Co-op or Croquet"

In co-op teams must finish a wood carved giraffe. They must first make their way to the big five co-op. Once there they must stain a wooden giraffe, which is almost as tall as the racers, with a pair of toothbrushes. When done they must let it dry for 15-20 minutes before they can go over it with some polish, still using toot brushes.

In Croquet teams make their way to the Victoria Falls hotel (1.4km) and change into costume and play croquet against a local player. The contestants have one ball each (red & yellow) and the local player have a black ball. The objective is to be first through each wicket and once a team have earned 5 points they get their next clue.

"We choose co-op because we're not even sure what croquet is", Cindy on their choice
 "It's like hockey mixed with golf", Josh describes croquet

"I have awesome toothbrush skills", Cindy, who is a dentist
 "I hope the other task is hard", Rick as they are drying their giraffe

This detour seem to be fairly imbalanced. Playing croquet is much faster than staining a large wooden giraffe.

1(+1) Justin & Diana, croquet
 2(-1) Tanner & Josh, croquet
 3(+4) Denise & James Earl, croquet
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, croquet
 The other teams are not shown complete their detour

Route info: "Make your way to the next pit stop on the Rose of Charity orphanage". This orphanage houses 70 children aged 0.5-16 years.

The route info also says "Make a donation when you visit the orphanage"

The first two teams both desperately want to reach the U-turn first. They finish the detour not far apart and we get shots where we see both teams waiting for taxis at the Victoria Falls Hotel. It seems as if Tanner & Josh get into their taxi about 30 seconds after Justin & Diana left.
 "We were hoping they wouldn't U-turn us, but at the same time we didn't know how far we could trust Justin", Tanner about their feelings in the taxi

The double U-turn board turns out to be located just 10 meters in front of the pit stop, in full view of Phil. This means that there is no point in U-turning another team just to save yourself since there is a fairly low probability that you will get lost between it and Phil. But team may still use it to get rid of other teams, and it will be brutal to run up to it, see the pit stop and see your own face on the U-turn board and realize you must go back and do the other task.

Teams reach the board in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana, does not use the U-turn
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh, does not use the U-turn

Tanner & Josh are not happy to see Justin & Diana on the mat as they roll up to the orphanage.

Teams reach Phil in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh

At the pit stop Phil first encourages teams to make a donation, and both Justin & Diana and Tanner & Josh donate all their money. Phil then tells them that they are still racing and hands them their next clue.

Route info: "Make your way to the Lookout Cafe to search for your next clue. You have $65 for this leg."

When Tanner & Josh arrive Phil reminds them that they have used their express pass. And since the rules said they must pass it on to some other team after use, Phil wants to know which team they want to give it to. They must make up their minds right here and now since the next leg starts now.

And here the episode ends. So to summarize the status:
* Justin & Diana are on their way to the Lookout cafe
* Tanner & Josh are making up their mind about who should get the second express pass
* Two teams are en route to the pit stop (Denies & James Earl and Kelsey & Joey)
* Four teams are still at the co-op detour.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:41:19 PM by maf »

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 4 is on page 1
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »
Maf, could you add this:

Josh had performed the Roadblock in Leg 4, and this was according to his twitter:

https://twitter.com/JoshMAhern/status/656149690296070144

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 5
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:45 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 5, "King of the jungle"
Film date: 2015-06-30

The last episode ended with a keep on racing pit stop at the Rose of Charity Orphanage. When it ended only two teams had reached the pit stop and half the teams were still stuck at giraffe side of the detour. So lets us start at the detour from that leg.

1(+1) Justin & Diana, croquet
 2(-1) Tanner & Josh, croquet
 3(+4) Denise & James Earl, croquet
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, croquet
 5(-1) Cindy & Rick, co-op
 6(-1) Logan & Chris, co-op
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, co-op
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista, co-op

After the detour teams make their way to the Rose of Charity orphanage where they find the U-turn board and Phil. Nobody gets lost between the U-turn board and Phil since the distance is about 10 meters. The only team using the U-turn is Tiffany & Krista who U-turns Justin & Diana because they want to keep their promise.

When teams reach Phil they all make a donation. Most teams donate all their money, but not Logan & Chris.
 "I donated 20, we have 155 bucks left", Chris when Phil asks him
After Phil tells them the others gave all their money Chris donates the rest of their money as well.

Teams check in with Phil in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Denise & James Earl
 4(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Since this is a keep on racing leg no price is given out and no team is getting eliminated. Instead teams get their next clue and $65. This clue tells them to make their way to the Lookout Cafe and search for their next clue.

Before Tanner & Josh can get their clue they must decide who they want to give the second express pass to. After a bit of deliberating they decide to give it to Denise & James Earl.
 "They have helped us a lot, and they are also not a threat to us in the back", Josh on why team motherboy get the express pass

In the taxi Krista expresses her frustration about always being in the back. They are doing their best but still can not seem to get ahead.
  "I'm so sick of showing up to the mat last, ... I just don't understand why these little things keep happening to us",Krista

Teams find their next clue at the cafe in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 4(-1) Denise & James Earl, just after #3
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris, seconds after #5
 7(+0) Jazmine & Danielle
 8(+0) Tiffany & Krista

Road block: "Who wants to gorge themselves?"

The full information starts: "Take a big swing over the Zambezi river, free-falling over 200 feet into the Batoka gorge"

In this road block teams must take a giant swing into the Batoka gorge. This is a repeat of the very first task of the first season of the Amazing Race. There is only one swing so teams will have to wait for the previous teams to complete the task. The order they swing seem to be decided by the order they arrive at the actual task location, which is about 150m from where the clue box is.

"I'm jealous now", Diana
 "My fitbit is reading 110 on my heart rate", Josh is not entirely comfortable as he waits for his turn
 "I wish I didn't see Justin go, but at least I saw that he didn't splat down there so I feel a little more confident", Josh
 "Thank you for honoring our agreement", Josh to Justin about the U-turn last leg
 "I love you man, You're my only child so stay safe", Denise to James Earl
 "Oh my god", Joey see Josh take the plunge

Cindy & Rick arrive at the clue box seconds before Logan & Chris. Both teams are extremely stressed out and as soon as they read the clue they jump back into their taxis and tell their driver to go. That is they miss that the road block location is reached on foot along a path from the clue box.
 "The Lookout Cafe and big swing.. That the same pace", Logan & Chris's driver
 "I don't understand, just follow them", Logan & Chris prefer to follow Cindy & Rick
Eventually Cindy & Rick's drive find the place on his smartphone and they turn back. Logan & Chris follow.
 "We're stupid", Chris sums it up

Teams complete the road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (2-2)
2(+0)Tanner & Josh*      (1-3)
3(+0)Kelsey* & Joey      (3-1)
4(+0)Denise & James Earl*(1-3)
5(+2)Jazmine & Danielle* (2-2)
6(+2)Tiffany* & Krista   (2-2)
7(-2)Cindy* & Rick       (2-2)
8(-2)Logan & Chris*      (2-2)

The next clue is a detour: Crocs or Canoes?

In crocs teams make their way to "Crocodile Cage diving" (2km) and change into wet-suits. They are them put in a cage which is lowered into a pool with three hungry crocodiles. Here contestants must use a stick to each feed a crocodile a piece of raw meat. This task is very linear. There is no skill involved and there is only one cage so only one team can go at a time.

In canoes teams must paddle across the Zambezi river in an inflatable canoe, Then walk along a short track before arriving at a tree where one one of them must hoist their partner up into the air to retrieve their next clue from a vultures nest. The props department have made sure that these clues are covered in something which looks like bird droppings. This task probably takes place by the Azambezi Rive Lodge (6km).

The difficulty in the canoe task lies in padding the canoe. And to have the nerve to actually do it after they spot the sign the helpful production staff put up which reads "Beware of crocodiles". It is hard to judge how dangerous this really was. We get to see many shots of Crocodiles and Hippos, but all of them seem to be stock film and we never see the racers in the same frame.

"There's an elephant", Justin spots the elephant standing by the canoes
 "I've got to pull this fatty up to the top of this tree", Josh

Tanner & Josh assume they, with their massive upper-body strength, will have no problem passing Justin & Diana who are just ahead of them. But paddling the canoe turns out to be harder than it looks
 "Whoa, green just killed us", Tanner & Josh realize they can't catch Justin & Diana on this task

The crocodile task is linear so the only drama is the fake one created by the crocodiles, they would be dangerous if the contestants were not in a steel cage, and the real drama created by the teams.
 "I'm not exactly the thrill-seeker that Kelsey is", Joey as he changes into his wet suit
 "I'm more nervous feeding the crocodiles than falling off of a cliff", Tiffany
 "Oh my god. He's ripping the stick", Tiffany finds that feeding the crocodiles is not without its perils

Logan & Chris is the last team to arrive at the Crocodile task. Chris thinks they need to switch but after some fierce discussion they stay and wait for their turn. It is hard to say from the episode, but it was probably a good idea to stay. This task seemed to be quick and the canoe took place at another location.
 "Might be our last thing that we get to do", Chris know they are last as they are lowered into the pool with the crocodiles

1(+0) Justin & Diana, canoe
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh, canoe
 3(+1) Denise & James Earl, used their express pass at crocks
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, crocks
 5(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, crocks
 6(+0) Tiffany & Krista, crocks
 7(+0) Cindy & Rick, crocks
 8(+0) Logan & Chris, crocks

Route info: "Make your way to the Lion encounter at the Masuwe safari lodge"

Jazmine & Danielle seem to confuse their taxi driver so he drives them to the Masuwe lodge instead of to the Lion encounter. Here they encounter the pit stop task and start doing it. Once they see Phil they realize something is wrong. They reread their clue and realize that they are at the wrong location. They run over to the nearby lion encounter.

Teams arrive at the Lion encounter in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+1) Denise & James Earl
 3(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 4(-2) Tanner & Josh
 5(+1) Tiffany & Krista
 6(-1) Jazmine & Danielle
 7(+0) Cindy & Rick
 8(+0) Logan & Chris

Route info "Walk with the lions to hunt for your next clue"

In this task the teams will walk together with a number of handlers and some lions along a path. Eventually they will find a skull which holds their next clue. There are two different paths so two teams can do this task at the same time.

These are real lions so there are some rules to follow, like not to panic and not crouching down. And teams can't wear bright color so some of them have to change clothes.
 "Cats like me, I do not like cats", Cindy

Jazmine & Danielle are extremely stressed out by their previous navigational mishap so they rush in to take the second track after Tiffany & Krista. As a result they do not read their clue properly and miss the part which says they have to find their next clue along the path. Therefore they miss the clue they were supposed to pick up along the path and have to go again. Of course they have to go to the back of the line when they come back so they are now in last place.

Teams return from the lion walk in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Denise & James Earl
 3(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+0) Tanner & Josh
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
       Jazmine & Danielle, did not pick up their clue
 6(+1) Cindy & Rick
 7(+1) Logan & Chris
 8(-2) Jazmine & Danielle

Route info: "Make your way on foot to the Masawe Lodge"

This is the pit stop for this leg. To make things more interesting teams must bring two large baskets of fruit to the mat. The baskets are picked up near the pit stop (perhaps 100m before) and each team member must carry one fruit basket on their head. They may not use anything to support them besides their head. If they drop the basket they must collect the fruit which may have rolled away and then put it back on again before they may continue from the same spot.

This is wonderful task, it creates a frantic but snails-pace race to the pit stop.

"We're in trouble", Justin when he learns about the fruit task

Production has helpfully provided a number of local women walking around with similar loads and they make it all look so easy.

"This is definitely the slowest footrace ever", James Earl
 "I am like as calmly frustrated as I can possibly be", Diana
 "I've never felt more ridiculous in my life", Tanner & Josh feel their manliness threatened

Phil stands on a platform with a nice view of the valley below. Not that the racers have time to appreciate that as they walk up balancing their fruit baskets on their heads.

Jazmine & Danielle feel that they are about a minute behind Cindy & Rick when they arrive at the fruit carrying task.

Teams reach the mat in the following order:
 1(+1) Denise & James Earl, win a trip to Slovakia
 2(-1) Justin & Diana
 3(+1) Tanner & Josh
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 6(+1) Logan & Chris
 7(-1) Cindy & Rick
 8(+0) Jazmine & Danielle, are eliminated

"Our takeaway from this leg is the same as every leg, it is just something we have a really hard time implementing, it's just calm down", Logan

In the end Danielle & Jazmine finish about 2 minuter after Cindy & Rick. They are athletes so they are bummed out by being eliminated, but they are also grateful for all the places they have gone to together.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 6
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 6, "My tongue doesn't even twist that way"
Film date: 2015-07-02 - 2015-07-03

The episode start at the last pit stop and show when Josh come by to talk to Denies & James Earl. The latter express their gratitude for getting the express pass, which helped them to victory in the previous leg.

The last pit stop was at the Musawe lodge, Zimbabwe. Teams seem to be released in the wee hours from a different hotel after a 24+ hours pit stop. Teams are released in the following order:
1.Denise & James Earl 05:40
2.Justin & Diana      05:50+0:10
3.Tanner & Josh       06:00+0:20
?.Kelsey & Joey       ??:??+?:??
?.Tiffany & Krista    ??:??+?:??
?.Logan & Chris       ??:??+?:??
?.Cindy & Rick        ??:??+?:??

And in this episode we are immediately thrown into the action by virtue of the first clue being a road block: "Who wants to get their heart pumping?"

The additional info reads: "Bungee jump 364 feet from the Victoria falls bridge. After the jump check your Fit Bit charge's HR and write down your heart rate on the enclosed card."

The task opens at 07:00 and all teams have made their way there by the time it opens. Only one team at a time can jump so teams are separated by a few minutes after the task.

The jump is high and scary, but it seems everybody does the task without much hesitation.
 "Oh my gosh, okay, he's alive", Logan was more scared than Chris who actually did the jump
 "I think I adjusted my back", Chris at the bottom of the rope

Teams complete the road block in the following order (* denotes team member doing the roadblock):
1(+0)Denise* & James Earl(2-3)HR: 135
2(+0)Justin & Diana*     (2-3)HR: 137
3(+0)Tanner* & Josh      (2-3)HR: 128
4(+0)Kelsey & Joey*      (3-2)
5(+0)Tiffany & Krista*   (2-3)HR: 132
6(+1)Cindy & Rick*       (2-3)
7(-1)Logan & Chris*      (2-3)

The next clue is a route info which tells them to fly to Paris, France. Once they land they must make their way to Aérodrome Musée Volant Salis. It probably also says they have to make their way there by train since all teams choose to do so.

All teams end up on the same flight to Paris. Probably:
  SA49  LVI-JNB  2015-07-02  13:14 - 15:02    (scheduled 13:10 - 14:55)
  AF995 JNB-CDG  2015-07-02  18:50 - 05:41+1  (scheduled 18:50 - 05:35+1)

In Paris there is a mad dash for the trains at the airport.
 "If this train takes off we have a 20 minute lead", Justin
 "Green was on it and we just missed the train by a couple of seconds", Rick

Trains to and from La Ferte Alais, the station they are going to, seems to leave once every half hour at this time of day. Justin & Diana are lucky to catch a train before the others, so they have a 30 minute lead when they arrive at the museum. The editors try to hide this fact by cutting in scenes of the other teams arriving as Justin is doing the task. But the experiences TAR viewer realize that if we do not see teams in the same shot then they may be a long time apart, and we do not see Justin & Diana with any other team here.

Teams run to Musée Volant Salis from the train station (2.2km) and arrive in the following order:
 1. Justin & Diana
 2. Tanner & Josh, probably after #1 have left
 3. Tiffany & Krista
 4. Logan & Chris
 5. Denise & James Earl
 6. Cindy & Rick
 7. Kelsey & Joey

Road block: "Who's feeling revolutionary?"

In this road block contestants will be taken on a ride in an old biplane. Along the way teams must spot the three words that best describe the French revolution of 1789. The clue actually says "Search for the motto of the French republic". This should be enough for a knowledgeable team to know that the words they are looking for are: Liberté, Egalité and Fraternité. To spice things up a bit the plane will do at least one loop with the contestants.

The clue also says "The team member who did not perform the previous road block must perform this one". As usual it is first come first serve, but there are three planes available.

"I hope he knows what he's looking for", Diana

After the flight teams must say the words they found to a local judge. They are not judged on their pronunciation here, and that is lucky for them because they really butcher the words. Teams may only state their findings once. If they are not correct they must do another flight.

"How am I not seeing this, I am the only idiot who doesn't see this", Logan after she missed a word on her first flight

1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (3-3)HR: 110
2(+0)Tanner & Josh*      (2-4)HR: 132
3(+0)Tiffany* & Krista   (3-3)HR: 122
-Logan* & Chris      (4-3)Only saw two words
4(+1)Denise & James Earl*(2-4)
5(+1)Cindy* & Rick       (3-3)
6(+1)Kelsey* & Joey      (4-2)
7(-3)Logan* & Chris      (4-3)HR: 103

Route info: "Make your way to Square Louise Michel at Place Saint Pierre and Rue de Steinkerque and search for La Fantôme Blanc to find your next clue"

Here we start seeing cracks in the relations hp between Justin & Diana. They start to argue about how to travel to Paris, taxi or train. Diana feels that Justin is ignoring her opinion. And from what we are shown it looks like she is fairly correct in that assessment.

On the way back teams are split on three different trains.

Train #1 probably departs at 09:46 and carries:
  Justin & Diana

Train #2 departs at 10:46 and carries
  Tanner & Josh
  Cindy & Rick
  Tiffany & Krista
  Denise & James Earl
  Kelsey & Joey

Train #3 departs at 11:46 and carries
  Logan & Chris

"I don't think I have ever run this much in my life", Denise after running back to the train station
 "Let's not beat ourselves up, anything can happen", Chris try to find hope when they are very last

The address they are going to is right below the steps to Sacré-Cœur and the white phantom is a man dressed it white wearing white makeup. He has big black hair and wears a black hat, in short he looks very Voodo. The first team to arrive find Phil live narrating their progress as they make their way to the phantom. The second batch of teams have trouble finding the clue giver and run up all the steps and try to get a clue from a local performer (as seen in a deleted scene). Eventually they realize they need to be at the bottom of the stairs and find the phantom.

Teams get their clue in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 4(+2) Kelsey & Joey
 5(-1) Denise & James Earl
 6(-1) Cindy & Rick
 7(+0) Logan & Chris

Detour: Drops mic or bust a crab

In drops mic teams travel to Pot de la Tournelle and learn a rap song in french. They are given a sheet with the lyrics so they do not need to learn it by hearth. But they will be judged on pronunciation, rhythm and vibe.

In bust a crab teams make their way to the famous restaurant La Cupole where they must prepare the Royal Platter. This is a two-story affair with crabs, lobster, oysters and other assorted sea foods. They need to split the lobster, open oysters and clams and generally arrange everything correctly.

Here again we have discord between Justin & Diana where she wants to do the oysters and he the rapping.
 "That's his favorite thing to say to me; just get over it" Diana after he told her to get over it in the taxi
 "I kind of bullied her into it a little bit", Later Justin admits strong-arming her

At the rapping task teams realize they will have separate lines so both team members must sing a few words solo.
 "I got the first two, but these last two lines; my tongue doesn't even twist that way", Justin gets the title
 "I'm a white girl, I can't do vibes", Diana when the judge complains about her lack of vibes
 "Phonetics really help, specially in our line of work", Joey the reporter
 "You want us white guys to have some rhythm?", Joey after receiving scathing critique from the judge

Denise & Earl Jones run into problems at the detour. They want to do crab but find out the hard way that there are more than one restaurant in Paris called La Cupole. They arrive at not the right one. After wasting a bit of time here they decide to do the rap instead. They then have a hard time finding this place as well, but eventually they get there.

The other teams wanting to do crab seem to have no problem finding the right place.
 "Controlling a knife isn't too different whether it is oysters or people. I've got to be more accurate with people though.", Rick

Logan & Chris arrive at the restaurant just as Tanner & Josh leave at 14:06. This gives them hope since they realize they are not that far behind.

Denise & James Earl seem have lost their magic from the previous leg and they really struggle with the rapping.
 "The more I tried, the more frustrated I got", Denise
 "This is by far the hardest day for us", James Earl
They struggle so much in fact that the episode ends before they have completed the task. At that time they have made 18 failed attempts.

1(+0) Justin & Diana, rap, on their 4th attempt (HR 118 & 130)
 2(+1) Tiffany & Krista, rap, on their 1st attempt (HR 95 & 128)
 3(+3) Cindy & Rick, crab, on their 1st attempt
 4(+0) Kelsey & Joey, rap, on their 8th attempt
 5(-4) Tanner & Josh, crab, on their 2nd attempt (HR 120 & 112)
 6(+1) Logan & Chris, crab, on their 2nd attempt
 DNF   Denise & James Earl, rap

The next clue is just a postcard showing a famous Parisian bridge. Teams need to make their way there. Any taxi driver worth their salt recognizes Pont Alexandre III and can take teams to it. Here teams find another clue box in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 3(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+1) Tanner & Josh
 5(-2) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris

Roue info: "Search for Phil across from the iconic monument where the first team will triumph". The clue also says "Warning, the last team to check in may be eliminated".

This clue sends teams to Arc de Triomphe where Phil awaits.
 "Justin, read the clue", Diana comes with a much needed reminder as they search for Phil
 "Unless somebody really messed up Phil may be saying goodbye to us", Chris suspect they are last

1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 3(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+0) Tanner & Josh
 5(+0) Cindy & Rick
 6(+0) Logan & Chris
 ? Denise & James Earl

Instead of awarding prices Phil hands teams their next clue and tells them the next leg starts right now. This clue is a route info: "Travel by train to Rotterdam".

"Hey, be nice to her", Phil to Justin

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 7
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 02:02:37 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 7, "Full speed ahead captain"
Film date: 2015-07-03 - 2015-07-04

At the end of the last episode Phil told teams that the next leg started right then and there and handed them their next clue. That is all teams but Denise & James Earl who were still stuck at the detour.

So we go back to the detour where Denise & James Earl decide to make two more attempts before they switch. Practice makes if not perfect then at least better. And they get their French rapping approved on their 18th attempt. They are currently very last.
 "Denise & James Earl you know the news isn't good. First on the last leg and last on this leg. The good news is you are still racing here's your next clue", Phil to them on the mat

Eventually teams checked in with Phil in the following order:
 1. Justin & Diana
 2. Tiffany & Krista
 3. Kelsey & Joey
 4. Tanner & Josh
 5. Cindy & Rick
 6. Logan & Chris
 7. Denise & James Earl

Instead of awarding prices Phil hands teams their next clue and tells them the next leg starts right now. This clue is a route info: "Travel by train to Rotterdam". Teams also get a picture of a very red lighthouse boat which they have to find once they arrive in Rotterdam.

Everybody are provided with tickets to a train leaving Paris for Rotterdam at 19:22, but teams are free to travel on another train if they want. Most teams realize they need to get away earlier and there are lots of trains, so teams get spread out on different trains.

Train #1 departs at 16:19 and carries:
  Justin & Diana

Train #2 connects via Brussels and departs at 16:53. This carries:
  Kelsey & Joey

Train #3 departs at 17:16 and carries:
  Cindy & Rick
  Tiffany & Krista

Train #4 departs at 19:22 and carries:
  Tanner & Josh
  Denise & James Earl
  Logan & Chris

"Bottom line, we're the only ones here. It could screw us or it could be good", Joey is nervous that they do not see any other teams on the train
 "We are shortly arriving to Rotterdam in Germany", Tiffany is a bit confused about which country they are in

Tanner & Josh miss the part about finding an earlier train and decide to play tourists in Paris until their train leaves. They have time for a couple of beers and some crepes before they make their way to Gare de Nord.
 "It's a lot bigger in real life instead of on postcards", Tanner & Josh about the Eiffel tower
 "That was stupid", Josh when they realize that the others found earlier trains

Tiffany & Krista are confused about in which country Rotterdam is. But Cindy & Rick take the prize and are assuming that Amsterdam is what the French call Rotterdam. So they are heading for Amsterdam. The train they are on even stops in Rotterdam on the way. Shortly after the train has left Rotterdam they learn that Amsterdam and Rotterdam are not the same place and that they just missed Rotterdam. They have to get off the train at the next stop and catch the next train back.
 "Wait, wait, wait Rotterdam and Amsterdam are not the same?", It finally dawns to Rick
 "We missed our stop so we're just going one stop over to Rotterdam", Rick explains to the conductor so they can avoid buying new tickets

Eventually all teams make their way to the red boat, which is called Vessel 11. Here they find a board with the text: "The captain will deliver your clue at your chosen release time" and a number of departure times.

Teams arrive here in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana, will depart at 05:00
 2(+0) Tiffany & Krista, will depart at 05:15
 3(+2) Cindy & Rick, will depart at 05:30
 4(-1) Kelsey & Joey, will depart at 05:45
 5(-1) Tanner & Josh, will depart at 06:00
 6(+0) Logan & Chris, will depart at 06:15
 7(+0) Denise & James Earl, will depart at 06:30

"Third?", Rick can't believe that even though they messed up they still get the third time

Teams will spend the night on air mattresses on the deck of this ship. Justin & Diana have plenty of time before bedtime so in the extra footage we get see that when they find out that there are no showers on the boat they rent a room at a nearby hostel and use the showers there.

The next morning Justin & Diana get their next clue at the crack of dawn. Route info: "Make your to the water taxi terminal Kop van Zuid and take a water taxi to the Kinderdijk windmill village and search for your next clue. Every step counts, the more you take the higher the stakes".

Justin & Diana start their leg badly by arguing if they should run to the water taxi terminal or take a taxi. Eventually they run but they have lost time so they have a footrace against Tiffany & Krista across the Erasmusbrug (a big bridge).

Teams reach the water taxi terminal (1.9km) in the following order:
 1(+1) Tiffany & Krista, on foot
 2(+1) Cindy & Rick, taxi
 3(-2) Justin & Diana, on foot
 4(+0) Kelsey & Joey, taxi
 5(+0) Tanner & Josh, taxi
 6(+0) Logan & Chris, taxi
 7(+0) Denise & James Earl, taxi

There are plenty of water taxis waiting and they leave as soon as a team has boarded.

At the windmills teams find a road block: "Who wants to pick the sunflower?"

The additional info in part reads: "Study the artist copy of van Gogh's Sunflowers located inside the windmill. Then search the windmills for a reproduction that matches it".

The reproductions are located by the other windmills so the contestants will get to do quite a bit of running. They have to bring the correct replica to the judge. If it is wrong then they have to bring it back to where they found it as well.

"We're just not used to being this far back of the pack", Diana is feeling stressed when they are in the middle of the pack
 "I hate painting at this point", Tanner struggles

1(+3)Kelsey & Joey*      (4-3)On his 1st attempt
2(+0)Cindy & Rick*       (3-4)On his 2nd attempt
3(-2)Tiffany & Krista*   (3-4)On her 3rd attempt
4(-1)Justin & Diana*     (3-4)On her 3rd attempt
5(+0)Tanner* & Josh      (3-4)On his 3rd attempt
6(+1)Denise* & James Earl(3-4)On her 3rd attempt
7(-1)Logan & Chris*      (4-3)On her 4th attempt

ROUTE INFO

Whoever just completed
the Road Block select
your highest heart rate
from the last leg. Then
find the difference
between that heart rate
and the heart rate you
just recorded on line
three. Write the
difference on line four
of the card. Then pick up
exactly that many Tulips
from the tulip cart and
Take them to...

Teams need to deliver the tulips to a local girl 750m away (right where they landed with the water taxi).

"We're able to get ahead of Justin & Diana for the first time in this entire race, which is amazing", Kelsey is very happy
 "152 minus 128, so that's 32", Josh attempts to do math, it is not a pretty sight

Teams will now take a water taxi to the Nolet Distillery where they will find their next clue. The taxis are still waiting for the teams so there is no waiting time. Teams reach the distillery in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Cindy & Rick
 3(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 4(+0) Justin & Diana
 5(+0) Tanner & Josh
 6(+1) Logan & Chris
 7(-1) Denise & James Earl

Phil makes an appearance at the distillery and live-narrates the progress of Kelsey & Joey as they get their next clue.

Detour: ship or skip

In ship teams must use a training simulator to drive a pilot ship through a storm in Rotterdam's busy harbor. One contestant acts as the navigator and the other is the captain and drive the boat. They must first deliver a pilot to a ship and then rescue a boat in distress, both in under 5 minutes. If they fail they must go back to training before making a new attempt. There is only one simulator so teams will have to wait for their turn.

In skip teams must jump inside double jump-ropes (Double Dutch) and perform a clapping routine. They must keep jumping for 45 seconds without getting tangled in the ropes to get their next clue. The clapping routine is simple but the challenge lies in keeping the rhythm of the ropes and to have the stamina to keep jumping.

The clue also say that teams must travel to the locations by tram. The ship detour takes place in the Millennium tower and the double Dutch takes place at Leuvehoofd.

Cindy & Rick walk off and search for the tram. The problem is that they walk in the wrong direction and end up the Nieuwe Maasstraat bus stop. They find out that this bus will take them to the tram. The catch is that they have to wait 30 minutes for the next bus.
 "By the time the taxi is here it will be the same amount of time honey", Rick wants to wait for the bus

Meanwhile all the other teams make their way on foot to the tram (1.1km).
 "We're on the tram, going hopefully in the right direction", Joey

Teams arrive at the detour location in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+2) Justin & Diana
 3(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 4(-2) Cindy & Rick
 ?(+?) Tanner & Josh
 ?(+?) Logan & Chris
 ?(+?) Denise & James Earl

"Doesn't matter what we do, they sneak in front of us", Joey when Justin & Diana turn up at the simulator
 "Full speed ahead captain", Justin gets the title
 "There's 20 something screens, flashes of lighting, thunder so we're overwhelmed", Josh on why they failed to even get started on their first attempt

"My leg hurts from the road block", Krista doesn't really like the jumping

1(+2) Tiffany & Krista, skip, on their 2nd attempt
 2(+0) Justin & Diana, ship with Justin as the captain, on their 2nd attempt with 3 seconds to spare
 3(-2) Kelsey & Joey, ship with Joey as the captain, on their 4th attempt with 7 seconds to spare
 4(-1) Tanner & Josh, ship with Josh as the captain, on their 3rd attempt
 5(+1) Logan & Chris, ship with Logan as the captain, on their 3rd attempt with 5 seconds to spare
 6(+1) Denise & James Earl, ship with Denise as the captain, on their 3rd attempt with 4 seconds to spare
 7(-3) Cindy & Rick, ship with Rick as the captain, on their 4th shown attempt with 2 seconds to spare

"Wow, only on the second attempt", The judge is impressed by Tiffany & Krista who made quick work of the jumping
 "It was devastating to see them finish, because we were so close", Kelsey is not happy to see Justin & Diana get it before them

Rote info: "Travel by train from Rotterdam to the Hague". Once in Hague teams must make their way, by Tram, to the Peace Palace where the pit stop awaits.

The first step of the journey is for teams to make their way to the train station. Here teams which did ship have a distinct advantage since the Millennium tower is right across the street from Rotterdam Centraal while the skip detour is 2km away.

Teams end up on a few different trains:

Train #1 carries:
  Justin & Diana

Train #2, departs after 09:27 and arrives at 10:07. This carries
  Tiffany & Krista
  Kelsey & Joey

Train #3, departs after 10:43
  Tanner & Josh

Train #4
  Logan & Chris

The last two teams, Denies & James Earl and Cindy & Rick meet up at the platform. Cindy & Rick find a train which leave a few minutes earlier but makes two stops along the way. They agonize if this will be faster but in the end they jump on it. This forces Denies & James Earl to make a hard decision, get on this train or wait for the direct one. In the end the decision is made for them when they can not make up their mind in time and the train leaves.

Train #5 departs at 11:37 and has two intermediate stops
  Cindy & Rick

Just after Cindy & Rick have left the electronic sign shows that the direct train
at 11:43 is delayed by 10 minutes.

Train #6 departs at 11:53 (was scheduled 11:43)
  Denise & James Earl

Once in Hague teams need to jump on tram #1 to go to the Peace Palace.

Cindy & Rick know they are supposed to go on tram #1 but end up getting on #9. After a while when they don't see their stop they start asking the other passengers and find out they are on the wrong tram.
 "The only saving grace we may have right now is that somebody messed up more than we did", James Earl

Teams reach Phil and the pit stop in the following order:
 1(+1) Justin & Diana, around 10:10, win $31857
 2(+1) Kelsey & Joey, around 10:20
 3(-2) Tiffany & Krista, lost a footrace against #2
 4(+0) Tanner & Josh
 5(+0) Logan & Chris
 6(+1) Denise & James Earl
 7(-1) Cindy & Rick, are eliminated

The price for this leg is that Fit Bit turns their combined number of steps into dollars. They will also get a massage right now and the length is their highest heart rate at the moment, minutes long. Which comes to 89 minutes.

"I'm tired of loosing", Joey doesn't like coming in second to Justin & Diana

"Rick is my soul mate. Nobody's perfect, but I love him and all his idiosyncrasies", Cindy

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 8
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 01:21:47 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 8, "I'm gonna get you"
Film date: 2015-07-05 - 2015-07-06

The episode starts with a previously unseen scene from the last leg where Diana feels like she let Justin down because they ended up in the middle of the pack after the road block.
 "She was worried abut letting me down, the only way she could let me down is if she quits", Justin does not share that feeling

The last pit stop was at the Peace Palace in Hague, Netherlands. Teams are released from this place, after what seems like a 36h pit stop, in the following order:
1.Justin & Diana      22:10
2.Kelsey & Joey       22:23+0:13
3.Tiffany & Krista    22:24+0:14
4.Tanner & Josh       23:34+1:24
5.Logan & Chris       00:11+2:01
6.Denise & James Earl 00:36+2:26

Route info: "Fly to Kraków, Poland". Once they land teams must find Kraków beach and a converted barge at Plaza Kraków.

The route info also reads: "To get there book your flights through the Travelocity mobile app". Teams are now given mobile phones to be able to book their flights. After booking flights all teams travel to Schiphol where they have to spend the night. The next day teams fly out on two different sets of flights.

"I've been preparing for 13 years to be on this race", Justin thinks he is well prepared

"It's more difficult that we ever could imagine. Whatever you think you know, I promise you don't have any idea what it really is to run this race", Josh about the race
 "But Justin does", Tanner

Flight #1 is probably:
 LH2311 AMS-MUC  2015-07-06  07:30 - 08:41  (scheduled 07:00 - 08:25)
 LH1622 MUC-KRK  2015-07-06  11:23 - 12:34  (scheduled 11:20 - 12:40)

This carries:
  Justin & Diana

Flight #2 is probably:
 KL1363 AMS-WAW  2015-07-06  10:07 - 11:47  (scheduled 09:45 - 11:40)
 LO3905 WAW-KRK  2015-07-06  13:16 - 14:14  (scheduled 13:00 - 13:55)

[/tt]
This carries:
  Tanner & Josh
  Denise & James Earl
  Logan & Chris
  Tiffany & Krista
  Kelsey & Joey

"Everybody welcome to Taxi television. We're in Poland trying to find Kraków beach", Joey falls into his newscaster role
 "Pom poms and miniskirts are our weakness", Tanner & Josh when their taxi catches up with Tiffany & Krista

Kraków beach turns out to be a patch of sand up on land by the river. The converted barge floats in the river and contains a swimming pool. The next clue lies at the bottom of the pool. Justin puts on his bathing suit an dives in after it. The other teams arrive significantly later and do feel the pressure so none of them bothers with the swimwear, they just jump in.

Teams retrieve the clue here in the following order:
 1. Justin & Diana
 2. Logan & Chris, long after #1 have left
 3. Tanner & Josh
 4. Tiffany & Krista
 5. Kelsey & Joey
 6. Denise & James Earl, within a minute after #2

Detour: Mine or Music

In Mine teams must make their way to Wieliczka salt mine (12km 16min). Here they must change into work clothes and ride an elevator 1000' underground. Down here they must first carry a big piece of timer a distance. Then load a mining cart with salt before finally pushing another full cart all the way back. This is a very physical detour and no finesse is needed. The actual task i the mine probably took around 20-30 minutes.

In music teams must make their way to the old town square (2.3km 7min) where they will get a lesson from a violinist on how to accompany him on the piano. Once they have mastered this they must push their piano (which is on a small wheeled cart) to a performance area where they must earn 100 Zloty ($25 USD).

One could think that the music task is about learning to play the piano, but that is actually very easy. The real challenge is to transport the piano over cobblestones and other obstacles and then finally to beg passersby for money.

The first challenge turns out to be to get to the detour location. Some teams have a very hard time finding a taxi. Partly because the closest road is a major thoroughfare where cars drive quickly. Teams must venture further away to find taxis.

"This is actually pretty cool, smells like a zoo", Diana in the salt mine
 "Now i know what they mean when they say backbreaking work", Justin when he starts shoveling salt

"I played it for about 13 years", James Earl has taken piano lessons

"What if something comes down?", Logan is worried in the salt mine
 "Then it crushes our legs and we're paralyzed for life and we keep asking ourselves why did we do it?", Chris has a morbid streak

"Ouch, my finger, my finger", Krista's hand is caught when the lid of the piano falls down

Tanner & Josh have a bad day. First they are last to find a taxi after the pool and then the taxi drops them off at the wrong location. So when they finally arrive at the mine Logan & Chris are about to leave.
 "They are just arriving, tell them it was easy", Logan when she sees Tanner & Josh

Surprisingly Tiffany & Krista have a hard time with the music detour. It seems as if they just can not convince people to give them money.
 "Everybody is running away, maybe I'm being too aggressive?", Krista
 "We need a group of guys", Tiffany
 "You have to play up your strengths so Tiffany took it to the next level", Krista about Tiffany starting to give out kisses to the cheek

1(+0) Justin & Diana, mine
 2(+3) Kelsey & Joey, music
 3(+3) Denise & James Earl, music
 4(-2) Logan & Chris, mine
 5(-1) Tiffany & Krista, music
 6(-3) Tanner & Josh, mine

Route info: "Make your way to the Oskar Schindler factory where Schindler was able to protect and save lives of over a thousand Jewish workers and their families."

Teams arrive to the factory in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+1) Tiffany & Krista
 5(-1) Logan & Chris
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh

At the Schindler factory teams are given a tour of the museum and given a moment of reflection before continuing the race.

"To be there, to physically see the conditions they lived in, it gives you a true perspective on life", Justin

Route info: "Make your way to Szeroka 22 in the Jewish district and look for your next clue"

Teams arrive at the next clue box (1.8km 7min) in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+0) Tiffany & Krista, after #4 is done
 5(+0) Logan & Chris
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh, just as Tiffany leave for her second attempt

Road block: Who can handle a big order?

In this road block teams must act as waiters. They are given a list of dishes they have to bring from the kitchen. The list is something like:
 1 Gefilte Fish 1x
 2 Gesi Pipek 2x
 3 Czulent 1x
 4 Kugel 4x
 5 Hamantashe 3x
 6 Latkes 2x
 7 Charoset 2x

They must then deliver all the food, in one go, to a party at the Klezmer-Hois 160m away.

The real challenge in this task is to identify the dishes. In the kitchen there is a big table filled with dishes, none of them labeled and teams must figure out which they should put on their tray.

"Oh man, this is gonna be tough", Justin when he sees all the prepared dishes

Some contestants know some of the dishes and decide to guess the rest. This strategy is not really working. Instead all teams eventually end up asking other people around to explain what the dishes look like, or to google images of the dishes.

Their partners are told to go directly to the Klezmer-Hois and wait outside.

Kelsey and James Earl decide to work together. Which seems like a very smart idea since they have a good idea that they re not first and both want to stay ahead of the teams behind them.

"This is scary", Krista finds that she is the only one waiting outside the Klezmer-Hois

Logan & Chris start a big argument about who should do this road block. Logan wants to do it because she has worked as a waiter. Chris wants to do it so they get an even roadblock count. From this conversation it seems as if nobody may do more than 5 road blocks before the last leg.

"Oh my god my arms", Tiffany find the tray heavy
 "I used to wait tables, but this is a whole different ballgame", Josh

Tiffany and Josh decide to work together. They hope to beat Chris who is also doing the task. Unfortunately for them Chris gets it while they are doing their research.
 "I didn't want it to come down to us", Tanner to Krista when they realize they are the last two teams
 "I couldn't even look at him because I felt so sad, one of us was going to be going home", Krista

Josh turns out to be a gentleman and he lets Tiffany go first. Even though she is tired and walk slowly he waits for her.
 "You go first and see. You were here first", Josh to Tiffany

1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (4-4)On his 1st attempt
2(+0)Kelsey* & Joey      (5-3)On her 1st attempt
3(+0)Denise & James Earl*(3-5)On his 1st attempt
4(+1)Logan & Chris*      (4-3)On his 2nd attempt
5(-1)Tiffany* & Krista   (4-4)On her 3rd attempt
6(+0)Tanner & Josh*      (3-5)On his 1st attempt

Route info: "Search for Phil in the Klezmer-Hois". Finding Phil is rather easy since teams are standing right outside the Klezmer-Hois when they get the clue. Inside they hear music and make their way to a dining room where Phil, the mat, a Klezmer band and a bunch of party goers await.

1(+0) Justin & Diana, win a trip to Shanghai, China
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 4(+0) Logan & Chris
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh, are saved by a non elimination

On the mat Phil warns teams that there is a U-turn in the next leg.
 "And guess what? There is a U-turn in the next leg of the race, and I have a feeling that you might be team that they want to U-turn", Phil to Justin & Diana

Justin & Diana were lucky to be the only team to get tickets on the first flight, and that this flight went without any delay. That way they were so far ahead meant that they could run a relatively relaxed leg in Poland and still not see any other teams at any point on the course.

Things get very emotional with the last two teams. Tanner & Josh arrive only seconds after Tiffany & Krista. Tears are flowing because these teams are very close and they know they are the last two teams. They are all very relieved when Phil tells them this is a non elimination leg.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 9
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 9, "It's always the quiet ones"
Film date: 2015-07-07 - 2015-07-09

As is quite common now this episode starts with a extra scene from the last leg. This time it is Tiffany & Krista who sit and talk to Tanner & Josh just after the pit stop. They discuss the boys very precarious situation with a speed bump in a leg which contains a U-turn.
 "I think we're all due for some amazing karma tomorrow", Josh

The last pit stop was in Klesmer-Hois, Krakow and this is where teams are being release the following night in the following order:
1.Justin & Diana      22:04
2.Kelsey & Joey       00:58+2:54
3.Denise & James Earl 00:59+2:55
4.Logan & Chris       01:50+3:46
5.Tiffany & Krista    02:02+3:58
6.Tanner & Josh       02:03+3:59

Route info: "Fly to New Delhi, India". After landing teams must travel by taxi to New Delhi railway station and catch a 6am train to Agra. Once in Agra they'll make their way to the banks of the Yamuna river where they will find their next clue. The clue also warns that there is a U-turn ahead.
 "I think Justin & I are definitely the biggest targets and I think that if we don't get there first we would expect to see our names on the U-turn board", Diana
 "We really want a first place", Kelsey may want to U-turn Justin & Diana
 "A U-turn is gonna to happen for sure", Logan

Teams meet up at the airport where they spend the night.
 "We see the elusive green team. They exist.", Joey & Kelsey run into Justin & Diana
 "That's just a myth that you hear about", James Earl is also there

The next morning teams are split up on two different sets of flights.

Flight #1 is probably:
  LH1627 KRK-MUC  2015-07-08  07:24 - 08:28  (scheduled 06:30 - 07:55)
  LH762  MUC-DEL  2015-07-08  12:23 - 23:23  (scheduled 11:55 - 23:00)

[/tt]
And carries:
  Tanner & Josh
  Justin & Diana
  Denise & James Earl
and probably
  Logan & Chris
  Kelsey & Joey

Flight #2 is probably:
  OS600 KRK-VIE  2015-07-08  07:45 - 08:46    (scheduled 07:35 - 08:40)
  OS33  VIE-DEL  2015-07-08  13:19 - 01:44+1  (scheduled 13:10 - 00:05+1)

And carries:
  Tiffany & Krista

The next time we see the teams is at the New Delhi railway station. Here they experience severe culture shock. There are people sleeping on the floor everywhere.
 "I've never seen anything like this in my life", James Earl

At the station Logan & Chris start discussing the U-turn with more or less all the other teams (one by one).
 "So we're in agreement? You guys are definitely U-turning, right?", Chris to Justin
 "Is it true that the girls can't U-turn now?", Logan accidentally spills the goods to Justin & Diana
 "Don't tell them we told you that", Logan again

We know from an earlier interview that Tiffany & Krista can't use this U-urn since they already use their U-turn in Africa. But Justin & Diana didn't know that they did that, and they are surprised by Logan's comment. Just about then Tiffany & Krista turn up and ask if the others already have bought their tickets.
 "We'll walk you out, there's no reason to stay", Justin offers to show the girls where the marked counter is

At the ticket counter Justin & Diana ask Krista about the U-turn. Krista lies and say they did not U-turn them. Eventually both teams go back to Logan & Chris and ask why they said that. Chris now deny having told Justin & Diana. So two teams are lying and nobody is really happy.
 "I think that everybody is getting a little out of control with this and it's really bothering me now", Krista
 "The U-turn board is open for everybody", Justin sums it up

The next morning all teams hop on the train to Agra. Joey goes into mock newscaster role and throws the ball over to Krista.
 "Well Joey, It's really steaming up today in India. We walked into a lot of U-turn talk and it made us all a little hot'n'bothered", Krista

Phil stands on the platform and live narrates as teams exit the train in Agra. To begin with they must find a marked tuk-tuk which will take them to the river. The following ride is wild and more than a few racers fear for their lives as the tuk-tuk speeds trough the wild'n'crazy Inidian traffic.

Teams arrive to the clue box by the Yamuna river in the following order:
 1. Tiffany & Krista
 2. Logan & Chris
 3. Denise & James Earl
 4. Tanner & Josh
 5. Kelsey & Joey
 6. Justin & Diana

Road block: "Who's ready for laundry day?"

In this road block contestants must wash a load of saris. They must first ride a bicycle down to the river and drag it across the sand to a washing station. Then they must unload a big pack of dirty saris from it, fold and tie them in a certain way before throwing them in a big pot. They must then stir the washing with a big stick. At this stage the locals would bring the washing into the river to rinse and some manual handling. The players can skip this step and are instead directed to a large pile of washed saris which they, together with their instructor, need to spread in the sand to dry.

Each team get a local instructor who also acts as a judge and checks every step they do and immediately tell them if they need to redo it. The instructors never say anything to the contestants but use sign language to show what needs to be done.

The extra information contains the following: "As their speed bump Tanner & Josh will both have to perform this road block." So as soon as Tanner is done with the road block Josh start to do it as well.

There is a lot of laundry and from comments later it seems the task took about an hour to complete. This is quite a harsh speed bump compared to earlier seasons. But the task is visually very pleasing since the saris they wash are very colorful.

"It's supposed to be an arms length, but my arms are a lot shorter", Krista on why she uses the ground to help
 "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands", Denise tries to lighten the mood with some singing

"If you're not gonna U-turn us, let me know, Tanner tries to find some consolation
 "Not one person speaks up", Tanner again, after an awkward silence
After a while he gets denial from more or less every team, including from Joey.

"They are heavy when wet", Joey find the road block physical
 "This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do", Denise

1(+4)Kelsey & Joey*      (5-4)
2(+0)Logan & Chris*      (4-5)
3(+3)Justin & Diana*     (4-5)
4(+0)Tanner* & Josh      (4-5)
4(-3)Tiffany & Krista*   (4-5)
5(-2)Denise* & James Earl(4-5)
6(-2)Tanner & Josh*      (4-5)

Route info: "Make your way to Hanuman temple in the Johri bazaar and receive a blessing to get your next clue."

Teams reach the temple in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Logan & Chris
 3(+0) Justin & Diana, as Logan & Chris leave
 4(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 5(+0) Denise & James Earl
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh

Detour: Cans or Candy?

In cans teams must load a cargo-bike with 120 empty cooking oil cans and delivering them to New Taj Oil company. This is a lot of cans and they will have to stack them 5 levels high. Fortunately they get some string as well so they can tie their load together. Otherwise we would have vast amounts of empty oil cans on the streets of Agra.

In candy teams must cut and wash one mann (~90lb) of white pumpkin. Once done they must deliver two batches of finished candy to a store.

Both detour options take place elsewhere so teams have to go back into their tuk-tuks again.

Kelsey & Joey have bad luck and their tuk-tuk takes them to the wrong place initially. When they arrive at the detour location Justin & Diana are nearly finished with packing their bike.

"Five high? Holy cow!", Justin realize how big the load really is
 "Are you gonna cut your hand off now?", Logan to Chris when he starts cutting the pumpkins

As Justin & Diana are packing cans on their bike a local parade passes by on the street. They are probably lucky that they didn't have to to leave right then.

"It's frustrating that the race we've been doing is getting us in second place and not in first", Kelsey is frustrated that they never seem to be able to beat the green team

"I'm sweating like a beast right now", Krista realize cutting melons is hard work

Both detours attracts huge crowds of onlookers which adds a festive mood to the whole thing.

At the candy detour teams wonder how much a mann is. The clue doesn't say and eventually Chris & Logan wash their pumpkin and get them weighed. They have not done enough yet.
 "They have a lot, we need a lot more", Tiffany looks at Chris & Logan's pot and estimate their own position

Tanner & Josh arrive at the candy making shortly after Logan & Chris have left. Tiffany & Krista and Denise & James Earl are still here cutting up pumpkins.

"It's right across from the gas station", Justin shouts directions to Joey as he runs back after doing their delivery

Kelsey & Joey try to unload their cans as fast as possible, but they go a bit too fast so we get to see canmageddon when lots of cans fall. This makes the unloading slower since the cans have to be stacked neatly.

When Tiffany & Krista are done with the cutting Krista goes over to tell Tanner & Josh how much they need to cut.
 "Oh my god, you guys are going to be done in two seconds", Krista see that they have almost caught up
 "They did it so fast they are going to be right behind us now", Krista fears Tanner & Josh will overtake them as they make their delivery

1(+2) Justin & Diana, cans
 2(-1) Kelsey & Joey, cans
 3(-1) Logan & Chris, candy
 4(+1) Denise & James Earl, candy
 5(-1) Tiffany & Krista, candy
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh, candy
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh, cans

Route info: "Make your way to Bijighar Chowraha Roundabout and search for your next clue". Everybody realize that this is where the U-turn ought to be and they really want to get there before everybody else. So stress levels are very high.

"If we're first there we are U-turning", Chris
 "They don't know where they are going, so this is scary", Justin's driver doesn't know where it is
 "We have to U-turn", Kelsey
 "I think I want to U-turn the green team", Chris wants to U-turn Justin & Diana

Teams reach the U-turn board in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey, U-turns Tanner & Josh
 3(+0) Logan & Chris
 4(+0) Denise & James Earl
 5(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh

"We would only use the U-turn to save ourselves", Diana on why they didn't use the U-turn
 "We just want to make sure we're safe", Kelsey on why they U-turned
 "This means we're still stuck with the green team", Logan

Tiffany & Krista are shocked to see their friends Tanner & Josh on the U-turn board.
 "It's always the quiet ones you have to watch out for", Krista gets the title

"Are you kidding me? You punk", Tanner when he see the U-turn board and Joeys picture
 "I'm cheerin' for green now", Tanner is shocked

Route info: "Search the grounds on the Moonlight garden i Agra to check in to your next Pit Stop. Warning! The last team to check-in may be eliminated!". This garden, which is located right across the river from the Taj Mahal, has been used for Pit Stops before. This time Phil is hiding in the far corner. The greeter is a local barber and production has arranged for a customer as well so the barber just comes by to greet teams and then rushes back to his lathered customer.

Denise & James Earl have a hard time finding the pit stop. Their driver drop them off at the wrong garden. They search this and one more before they find out that the Moonlight garden is far away on the other side of the river.

The editors use this navigational mishap to try to fool us that Tanner & Josh are still in it. Consequently we get to see them fly through the task. What they conveniently do not show, but we get to see in the extra scenes, is that Tanner & Josh had a really hard time finding the cans detour. Partly this is because their clue is in tatters by now.

"Phil is good at hide and seek", James Earl
 "We could show up and somebody could have got lost, I mean crazier thins have happened", Tanner try to keep the flame of hope burning

1(+0) Justin & Diana, win a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 3(+0) Logan & Chris, within a few minutes after #2
 4(+1) Tiffany & Krista
 5(-1) Denise & James Earl
 6(+0) Tanner & Josh are eliminated

"We just work really well together", Diana on why they are dominating
 "They are not winning the million", Chris is convinced that Justin & Diana won't win the race

At the pit stop Denise check her fitbit and find that her heart rate is 132 and that she has run 11 miles today.

"I think we kind of let our guard down and here we are", Tanner

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 10
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:02 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 10, "Bring the fun baby"
Film date: probably 2015-07-10

The last pit stop was in the Moonlight garden, right across  the Taj Mahal in Agra, India. And this also seems to be where teams are released from:
1.Justin & Diana      17:10
2.Kelsey & Joey       17:18+0:08
3.Logan & Chris       17:23+0:13
4.Tiffany & Krista    18:00+0:50
5.Denise & James Earl 18:28+1:18

Teams must travel by tuk-tuk to Kachora Bazaar where they will find their next clue. The clue also says "Get ready for a U-turn. It's coming sooner than you think."

"This is our third 2nd place finish in a row, and we're tired of it. We want to win!", Joey wants to go for first
 "This is gonna to be a tough leg for us. I started vomiting a few hours ago and my stomach is really bad" Chris

During the tuk-tuk ride teams discuss the upcoming U-turn. Justin & Diana talk about using it on Chris & Logan.
 "We're a little scared of the U-turn. We know that we have used ours and Justin & Diana know we are on their heels. We're kind of their top competition so...", Joey

Teams reach the clue box at Kachora Bazaar and get their road block clue in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 3(+0) Logan & Chris, after #1 have left
 4(+0) Tiffany & Krista, as Joey is on his delivery run
 5(+0) Denise & James Earl, as Chris is on her delivery run

Road block: Who's full of hot air?

In this road block contestants must use compressed air to blow up balloons and fill a fairly big net. The net hangs from a pole and once full they must place it on a bicycle and deliver them to a wedding party planner. Once delivered they must ride their bicycle back to the start of the task where their partner is waiting.

Since this is India we gets hordes of people watching the contestants as they struggle with the balloons. Even though they have compressed air the task is hard and tedious. It is easy to add too much air so the balloons explode and tying them shut is always a hassle.

"You have to take a couple of seconds to appreciate where you are", Justin looks up from tying balloons

"I hear they have really amazing weddings in India, I was hoping to get to be a part of one but this isn't really what I had in mind", Logan while inflating balloons
 "Logan, smart. Do this smart", Chris give some hints
 "Don't talk to me", Logan is no in the mood through

And then Chris & Logan continue to argue vocally for most of the
leg.

"Driving anything in this city is scary. Being on a bike, which i the least safe form of transportation, is very scary", Justin
And Justin have it easier since it is still light outside when he is riding his bike. By the time Tiffany get to cross the bridge it is dark as well.

While waiting at the road block Diana starts applying small rub-on
tattoos to the kids who want. Some adults consider themselves kids as well.

"So we have to wait in agony and watch now?", Krista to Chris about their role while their partners do the task

"I'm struggling with this netting right now. Why can't I figure out this netting?", James Earl struggles

While waiting at the road block Denise talks to Krista
 "Don't U-turn us", Denise to Krista
 "Are you out of your minds? I would never ever do that to you and you know that", Krista is almost offended by the question

Darkness is falling as Tiffany makes her way across the bridge with her balloons. She is having problems with locals riding very close and popping balloons. Eventually one local succeeds in ripping her net so almost all of her balloons spill out.
 "Why did you do that?[/i}', Tiffany

The next shot, after the commercial break, is of Tiffany delivering her few remaining balloons and receiving her next clue. The producers must have decided that she did all the steps needed to complete the road block and that she should not be punished because a local sabotaged her progress. According to inside sources the the situation during this leg was even worse than we see in the telecast. This is a probably the shadow of a dark part of Indian culture.

1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (5-5)
2(+0)Kelsey & Joey*      (5-5)
3(+0)Logan* & Chris      (5-5)
4(+0)Tiffany* & Krista   (5-5)
5(+0)Denise & James Earl*(4-6)

Route info: "Make your way to the Goyal Book Store and search for your next clue. The U-turn is right ahead."

As the first team reaches the U-turn board at the bookstore they pass Phil who live narrates their progress. Teams arrive at the U-turn in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana, U-turns Logan & Chris
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 3(+0) Logan & Chris
 4(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 5(+0) Denise & James Earl

"You are a tough team and we want to help our friends", Justin on why they U-turned Logan & Chris

The clue box holds a detour clue: Bring the groom or bring the fun

In bring the groom teams must pick up a wedding groom on horse and his entourage (including a band). They must then start the generator used to power the lamps. Then one of them have to carry one of the heavy electric candelabras while the other pushes the generator. They have to follow the procession until they reach the wedding feast where they have to deliver the groom to his bride.

In bring the fun teams must pick up a carnival ride and push it across town (about .5 miles) to the same wedding. Once they have arrived and given 8 kids a ride (all 8 fit in one go) in their carnival ride they will receive their next clue.

"Bring the fun baby", Justin gets the title

Justin & Diana arrive at the pick up place for the carnival rides at about the same time as Tiffany deliver her balloons. So it probably took just short of an hour to get back to the road block start, travel to the U-turn board and then to the start of the detour.

The carnival rides are decorated with battery powered lights so they are quite a spectacle as teams push them through the traffic.

"If we ever get married some day, which we will, we'll get married like this", Joey
 "If I have a weeding it will not be this elaborate", Kelsey has a different opinion

Once teams arrive with their carnival rides it turns out to be very easy to find 8 kids who want to ride. After teams have pushed the ride for a while they get told that they are done and can pick up their next clue.

"We need to be nice so the kids like us. All we do is yell at each other like evil people", Logan nails it

At the start of the bring the groom side Tiffany & Krista have a hard time to get the generator going. At least that is the way it is shown in the telecast. In reality they got the generator going quickly but then a local turned it off so they had to go again. Eventually they get the generator going again and they can start making their way to the wedding.

Just after Tiffany & Krista's wedding party has started to move Logan & Chris turn up for their second detour. And this is where we realize how the episode is going to end as Denise & James Earl have not arrived at the start of the detour yet.

"This is like a feather, this is nothing", Logan tries to use a mental game on the heavy candelabra
 "This sucker is heavy", James Earl is also carrying a candelabra

1(+0) Justin & Diana, fun
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey, groom
       Logan & Chris, fun
 3(+1) Tiffany & Krista, groom
 4(-1) Logan & Chris, groom
 5(+0) Denise & James Earl, groom

Route info: "Search the party for Phil and check in to your next pit stop".

The wedding area is delimited by walls of hanging fabric. Phil is waiting in a separate area behind an opening in one of the walls. He is not trivial to find. As soon as contestants find the opening a bunch of kids come rushing up and follows them to the mat.

1(+0) Justin & Diana, win $5000 each
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey, minutes after #1
 3(+0) Tiffany & Krista
 4(+0) Logan & Chris, while #3 is still on the mat
 5(+0) Denise & James Earl, while #4 & #4 are still on the mat. are eliminated

This was a very linear leg. The only placement change was Chris & Logan who lost one spot due to the U-turn. But we got drama and a colorful, and sometimes ugly, look at Indian culture.

"I love him unconditionally", Denise about her son

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 11
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:47 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 11, "It's not easy beating green"
Film date: probably 2015-07-12 - 2015-07-13

As usual this episode starts with an extra scene from the previous leg. This time it is just after the pit stop and we get to see the tension between Justin & Diana and Logan & Chris after the former U-turned the latter.

The last pit stop was at a wedding party in Agra. Teams seem to be released from a different place in Agra in the following order:
1.Justin & Diana      07:40
2.Kelsey & Joey       07:47+0:07
3.Tiffany & Krista    08:50+1:10
4.Logan & Chris       08:54+1:14

Route info: "Fly to Hong Kong". Once teams land they will be picked up by a green Rolls-Royce and be driven to the Peninsula hotel where they will find their next clue.

"I'm tired of losing so it's time to get a win", Joey has four 2nd place in a row
 "It's not easy beating green", Krista gets the title

Teams end up on the same flight from New Delhi to Hong Kong, probably:
  CX698  DEL-HKG  2015-07-11  22:40 - 06:44+1  (scheduled 22:45 - 06:45)

Once teams land they find the Rolls-Royces in the following order:
 1. Tiffany & Krista
 2. Kelsey & Joey
 3. Justin & Diana
 4. Logan & Chris

"From tuk-tuk to Rolls-Royce", Joey reflects on their different forms of transportation
 "We're usually following the Rolls-Royce so it's definitely a nice change on things", Chris (the Paparazzi)

Unsurprisingly the hotel drivers actually know where the hotel is so teams arrive at the hotel in the same order they left the airport. At the hotel they find their next clue box in front of the entrance.

Detour: Sam's or Cells

In Sam's teams must make their way to the world famous Sam's the tailor. Pick up an order form and make their way to his workshop. Here they must cut six pieces of fabric after a pattern. Once their cutting has been approved they must deliver a finished suit back to the store.

Sam's workshop turns out to be a very cramped and hot place. Tiffany & Krista are very confident when they go into the detour since they are used to sewing. Unfortunately they over-think the task and start preparing to actually sew the garment when all they need is to cut out the pieces. After a short while they realize their mistake and reread their clue.

The easiest way to cut the pieces is to fold the fabric over since the pieces are pairwise mirrored. Chris knows this but is overruled by Logan.

In Cells teams make their way to a market at Kweilin street where used cellphones are sold. They must then search through the bins containing hundreds of phones until they find one which works. Once they do they must use it to call a number (Kong Wah, 91488) for the location of their next clue.

"It's pretty much a needle in a haystack", Justin
Finding a working cellphone means that they have to turn them on. This is tedious, but they are lucky and find a working one fairly quickly. They call the stored number and get an address. And this is where things take a turn for the worse for the green team. They do not realize that the address is just two blocks away. Instead they jump into a taxi and show their handwritten address.

Meanwhile at the tailor Kelsey & Joey get their first attempt rejected since they have cut half their pieces with the wrong side of the fabric up. Soon thereafter Tiffany & Krista are approved.

In the taxi Justin & Diana have trouble communicating with their driver but manage to learn that it will take 45 minutes to get to their destination. This sows the seeds of doubt in their minds. Their driver drive to a hotel and go in to get directions. Here they find some people who can check their destination and find out that it is very close to where they started, so they have to jump into their taxi again and go back. This extra trip probably took around 40 minutes.
 "He doesn't understand so I'm not being rude to him", Justin when Diana asks him to calm down in the taxi
 "Who wants to help you when you're yelling like a maniac?" Diana bites back

1(+0) Tiffany & Krista, Sam's
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey, Sam's, probably about 25 minutes after #1
 3(+1) Logan & Chris, Sam's, probably about 15 minutes after #2
 4(-1) Justin & Diana, cell

Route info: "Travel by taxi to the Turbo Jet ferry terminal on Hong Kong island". Teams must now travel to the ferry terminal and take a high speed ferry to Macau where they must make their way to the House of dancing water at the City of dreams casino.
 "Tiffany, this gonna be dance, we've got this, we're gonna win", Krista is excited about their next destination

And Justin & Diana's downward spiral continue. A local directs them to the Kowloon ferry terminal, which is closer. But not the place they should go to. Eventually teams end up on two different ferries.

Ferry #1 departs from Hong Kong island and carries:
  Kelsey & Joey
  Logan & Chris
  Tiffany & Krista

Ferry #2 departs from the Kowloon side at 11:30 and carries:
  Justin & Diana

The teams on the Hong Kong ferry are surprised that Justin & Diana is nowhere to be seen. But they assume they are in front of them.

Once in Macau teams rush to the taxis. The casino is a big one so all drivers seem to know where it is. Teams arrive at the house of dancing water in the following order:
 1(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 2(-1) Tiffany & Krista
 3(+0) Logan & Chris, shortly after #1
 4(+0) Justin & Diana, just as the first two teams are leaving

Road block: Who wants to rise to the occasion?

It this road block contestants must join a typical extravagant casino show. This one is centered around a large indoor pool. Contestants will be guided into the pool where they will catch a big mast like structure as it rises out of the water. They must then drop 30 feet into the pool, dive down and collect a golden fish. They have to do all this before the music stops. All present teams can participate in the same show.

The jump into the pool is scary but actually finding the fish is surprisingly difficult. The lighting is confusing and there are lots of bubbles in the water.

The show last for about 15 minutes and the reset between shows takes about 20 minutes. if teams fail they have to wait for the show to start again. But before they can make their first attempt they will have to change into a costume and have some makeup applied.
 "Any chance I get to relax for a minute and not hear Chris yelling at me", Logan enjoy getting her makeup done

We can tell that Krista is a show-girl since she seems to be really in her element doing lots of striking poses, at least until it is time to find the fishes.

"How was it Logan?", Denise meet Logan as she reaches the changing area
 "You'll find out", But Logan doesn't want to share any information

Diana arrives just as the first teams leave, she get changed and has her makeup done but as she is about to enter the arena she is told:
 "We're going to need to wait here for about 20 minutes", by the staff
She has just missed the start of the next performance. This means that Krista is getting one more chance to complete the task before Diana can make her first attempt.

Once Justin hears from Tiffany what the task actually entails he wants to kick himself. He feels the task is 100% designed for him but they picked Diana since they thought it was going to be a fear-based task.

"I would give back all our wins just for this one", Justin is one big ball of emotions as he watches
Both Justin & Diana are really distraught since they feel that they are staring into the throat of the the elimination monster.

It is hearth breaking to see Krista struggle with this task. Tiffany is also extremely tense as she sit and watch Krista fail. But to their credit, both Tiffany and Justin, seem to be very supportive of their partners.

Krista fails her second attempt to get the fish and for her third show she is joined by Diana.
 "I have to jump from here?", Diana realize that the jump is high

Krista frustration must be enormous when Diana gets it on her first attempt, specially since she must know that they are now in last. But she does not give up.
 "Don't give up Krista", Justin encourages Krista as he is leaving
Krista doesn't really appreciate Justin's words at the moment but is more receptive to the support from Tiffany. And Tiffany does her best to encourage her partner.
 "You can't fail at anything you do because that's not you", Tiffany
After some pep talk Krista finally manages to complete the task on her fifth attempt.

1(+2)Logan* & Chris      (6-5)On her 1st attempt
2(-1)Kelsey* & Joey      (6-5)On her 1st attempt
3(+1)Justin & Diana*     (5-6)On her 1st attempt
4(-2)Tiffany & Krista*   (5-6)On her 5th attempt

Route info: "Make your way to Nam Van Lake". This is the pit stop for this leg of the race.

Teams travel here by taxi (14min). The first two teams both prepare for a footrace to the mat. Even though they do not see each others. In the end it is not really that close, Logan & Chris arrive first with a comfortable margin.
 "Five in a row Phil", Joey is frustrated about their 5th 2nd place finish

The first two teams stay on the mat to see which the third team to reach the finale will be.

Meanwhile Justin & Diana are in a taxi on their way to the pit stop. Now that they think they are more or less safe they can relax and make up after a stressful day.
 "I'm sorry I take my frustrations out on you", Justin apologies to Diana

"I don't think other teams are going to be happy to see us", Justin as they approach the pit stop
And we get to hear the reactions from the two teams waiting at the pit stop. And unsurprisingly Justin is right, they are not happy.

Justin & Diana are very happy to hear that they are the third team to arrive. But Phil continues with his classic "However...". Since Justin & Diana took the wrong ferry (from Kowloon rather than Hong Kong) they get a 30 minutes penalty, and they get an additional 25 minutes because that is how much faster that route was. So in total Justin & Diana have to wait out a 55 minute penalty.

So now we have a tense situation. When they reached the pit stop Krista is still struggling with the road block and nobody knows if they will be able to reach it before the penalty runs out.
 "The longest 55 minuets of our life", Justin
 "Krista & Tiffany need to be working their butts off right now. Hopefully they are not giving up", Logan

As they are waiting we get to see Krista complete the road block and they get into a taxi. Unfortunately for them the taxi takes them to the wrong place. It s not far out of the way but they still loose valuable minutes.

The episode is cut so that it looks like a tense race between the penalty time and Tiffany & Krista. But as usual we do not know how big the time difference was in the end.
 "I can't believe it", Logan is not happy with the result

1(+0) Logan & Chris, win a trip to Peru
 2(+0) Kelsey & Joey
       Justin & Diana, get a 55 minutes penalty
 3(+0) Justin & Diana
 4(+0) Tiffany & Krista, are eliminated

All teams are still at the mat as Krista & Tiffany finally arrive. So they are not surprised by Phil's words.

"We didn't make it to the final three but we were darn close, and if we inspired one person then that is all that matters", Krista
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:05:33 AM by maf »

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 11 is on page 1
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »
Maf, the dates for leg 11 filming are wrong. Teams started the leg on July 12 and arrived in Hong Kong/Macau in the 13th as we've seen in live tweets thread.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 11 is on page 1
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 08:03:12 AM »
Maf, the dates for leg 11 filming are wrong. Teams started the leg on July 12 and arrived in Hong Kong/Macau in the 13th as we've seen in live tweets thread.

Yes, I got lost among timezone conversions. I'll update it.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 12
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 27, Episode 12, "We got a chance, baby!"
Film date: 2015-07-14

The last pit stop was in Macau but it looks like teams are released from the Conrad hotel in Hong Kong after a 14h+ pit stop in the following order:
1.Logan & Chris       03:54
2.Kelsey & Joey       03:55+0:01
3.Justin & Diana      05:37+1:42

Route info: "Fly to Long Island, New York"

As usual teams are not free to select their flight for this last leg. The flight they all have to take is:
  CX830  HKG-JFK  09:36 - 13:16  (scheduled 09:20 - 13:05)

Once teams land they must travel by taxi to the N.Y. Fire Department training facility at Randals Island (15.9mi). Teams get into taxis in the following order:
 1. Justin & Diana
 2. Logan & Chris
 3. Kelsey & Joey

"Going back to being photographers focus. Focus is the key word", Chris
 "We are going to be warriors instead of worriers", And the platitudes keep on coming from Chris

As they arrive at Randals island, Justin ask their taxi to wait. But the driver wants an extra $100 to do so. This is kind of much and they do not know how much money they will need later in the leg so they release their taxi. This will prove to be a pivotal moment in this episode.
 "What no tip?", Taxi driver after trying to get a lot of extra money
The other teams manage to get their taxis to wait.

In addition to the clue box the first teams find Phil here. Phil is live narrating their progress.

Teams reach the clue box here in the following order:
 1(+0) Justin & Diana
 2(+0) Logan & Chris, a few second behind #1
 3(+0) Kelsey & Joey, a couple of minutes later

Road block: "Who wants to play with fire?"

In this road block teams must take part in a fire fighting drill. They must start by putting on the heavy fire fighter equipment. Then carry a heavy hose to a truck before climbing up a ladder into a window on the third floor of a building (there are three ladders set up). Once in the building they will be fitted with breathing apparatus and must then search a set of rooms filled with smoke and fires for a victim (a child-sized dummy). Once they find the victim they must bring it outside and deliver it to a waiting ambulance.

"These guys do not joke around", Justin

Once contestants have completed this task they will be faced with their first memory challenge. They are led to a fire truck and behind it they find a row of boots and a stack of helmets. A fire extinguisher holds the following text:
FDNY
INSTRUCTIONS

Arrange the
helmets with the
nine capitals of
the countries
you visited on
the Race, in
order from left
to right, on top
of the boots to
receive your
next clue.

To make the task a bit harder there are two extra helmets as well. The extras are labeled Rotterdam and Rio de Janeiro. The correct order is: Brasília, Buenos aires, Lusaka, Harare, Paris, Amsterdam, Warsaw, New Delhi and Beijing.

Justin is the only once who seem to ace the memory challenge and he leaves just as Joey arrive to the memory challenge. Joey and Chris both make a couple of wrong guesses before they get it. But they do not lose much time.

1(+0)Justin* & Diana     (6-6)
2(+1)Kelsey & Joey*      (6-6)
3(-1)Logan & Chris*      (6-6)

Route info: "Make your way to the location of the final race of the triple crown and search for your next clue"

All teams seem to know that they need to go to Belmont Park racetrack. Justin & Diana have a problem now as their taxi have left. They ask the two waiting cars if any of them want to take them. But they are both very uninterested. In fact Chris & Logan's driver is so uninterested about going to Belmont that he leaves instead.

Kelsey & Joey is the second team to reach the taxis, but they go back so that Joey can change out of his fire fighting gear. In the meantime Logan & Chris reach the one remaining taxi. They get into Kelsey & Joey's taxi just as Kelsey & Joey come running. There is a bit of shouting like "this is our cab" and Chris folds and exits the car. The fact that the driver said he wouldn't take them may have helped his decision as well. As the fact that Kelsey & Joey have left the meter running. Logan is very upset with Chris about him giving up the taxi. There is actually quite a lot of nagging about this during the rest of the race which I am skipping.

So the situation now is that we have Kelsey & Joey leaving in a taxi while the other two teams have to hop on a bus to go somewhere where they can hail a new taxi.
 "Damn we should have kept our cab", Justin

To make matters worse Justin & Diana get into a bus which first makes a lap around the island. So after a while they get back to where they boarded the bus.

At Belmont park teams will find a horse and rider waiting. They are not dressed up in yellow and red but still they have the next clue. Teams reach them in the following order:
 1(+1) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+1) Logan & Chris
 3(-2) Justin & Diana, probably about 45 minutes after #1

Route info: "Fly to the Hamptons in style and search for your next clue". Teams must now jump into one of the waiting helicopters which will take them to the Hapmtons.

Here we have another argument between Logan & Chris. It seems Chris is still wearing his fire-mans pants and boots and he wants to leave them behind. Logan points out that he has to have some sort of shoes. Chris ignores her.

The helicopters land in the same order they took off and the next cue box is hard to miss where it stands nearby.

Teams must now run to Shinnecock east county park. Here they will board a Sea-doo before heading out into the bay. They must then find a marked lobster boat.
 "Do you know what a lobster boat looks like?", Diana to Justin
 "Nope", At least Justin is honest as thy speed out into the bay

Teams board their lobster boats in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Logan & Chris
 3(+0) Justin & Diana

Teams must now pull up seven lobster pots from the sea and replace them with new ones.
 "Seems pretty straightforward, pretty easy. So it's pretty depressing", Justin had hoped for a harder task

The task sounds simple but teams soon find out that it is very heavy.
 "It was the most physically demanding thing I think we have ever done in our entire life", Kelsey

Once teams have replaced all seven lobster pots they get handed a small box filled with flags. Inside the lid is a note:
RAISE THE FLAG!

Arrange the Flags of the 9
countries you have visited,
in order, from the top down,
to receive your next clue.

* You may not use any
  manner of notes.

* You may not use any
  items to assist you in this
  challenge.

So here we have a second memory challenge. We learn that Kelsey & Joey and Justin & Diana have studied during the race and the flags were one of the things they studied so both teams are pretty confident when they go into this challenge. Logan & Chris are not so confident since they haven't studied the flags.
 "I don't know what Africa's flag look like", Logan

Teams also learn that there is an extra flag included.
 "I wish there was extra flags so somebody could make a mistake", Justin
 "There is, this isn't a flag we went to", Just then Diana find a flag she knows they didn't go to

Justin & Diana is the only team to pass the flag challenge on their first attempt. Kelsey & Joey were also pretty quick but got tripped up by the extra flag. Unfortunately for them Logan & Chris are stumped by this challenge.They do not know the flags so they have to guess, and that takes a long time.
 "We didn't study the flags, we're stupid", Chris has reached wisdom

Teams complete the lobster boat challenge in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+1) Justin & Diana
 3(-1) Logan & Chris

The boats will now take teams to the beach where they will find some Dune buggies. They must then ride one of these along the beach to their next clue. The boats can't go all the way in to shore so teams have to swim the last bit.

Riding the dune buggy seems fairly straightforward. And you only need to follow the beach for about a mile so it is hard to get lost. So there are no changes in the order as teams speed to the next clue box.

The next clue tells teams they must assemble six Adirondack chairs and arrange them in the correct order according to the pictures on them. The pictures are:
 1. The water bike
 2. A tango couple
 3. A lion
 4. A windmill
 5. Taj Mahal
 6. A green Rolls Royce
None of the teams seem to have any problem with placing them in the correct order. However assembling them is a different matter. They have to use a hammer and nails to put them together. This is a very tedious and detail oriented task. And it turns out that the judge is fairly strict.

"Joey's pretty handy", Kelsey

Justin & Diana arrive at this task while Kelsey & Joey are still working on their chairs. So it gets really exciting for a while.
 "We got a chance baby!", Justin gets the title
 "This is my forte, I'm a builder", Diana has unexpected strengths

Logan & Chris are last to arrive to this task. In fact they arrive to this task after the other two teams have crossed he finish line.

Justin & Diana are filled with confidence and we get to see Kelsey & Joey struggle a bit. And when the reporters call the judge over he points out that some of their chairs are not aligned well. So they must pull a couple of them apart and do them over.

The episode is cut so it looks like Justin & Diana are getting their chairs checked at the same time as Kelsey & Joey get their rechecked. This is very exciting. Unfortunately this is also very deceptive. The behind the scenes footage shows that Justin & Diana only have assembled three of the six chairs when Kelsey & Joey get their chairs approved.

Teams get their chairs approved in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey
 2(+0) Justin & Diana, about 20 minutes after #1
 3(+0) Logan & Chris

Route info: "At last, the finish line. Run to the nearby Southampton estate and find Phil. Go, Go, Go!". The clue also says "Follow the marked path to the estate".

The marked path starts just a little bit down the beach and is hard to miss. In fact the pit stop is only about 200 meters away Teams check in to the mat in the following order:
 1(+0) Kelsey & Joey, win $1,000,000
 2(+0) Justin & Diana
 3(+0) Logan & Chris

"5 continents, 10 countries, more than 34,000 miles", Phil at the mat

"For the two of us to experience what we have experienced, this is the best thing ever", Joey
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:28:54 PM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report TAR27, episode 12 is on page 1
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
And that concludes this season. I wish to thank all the tireless detectives and others on whose work I rely.