Author Topic: Help needed: The Amazing Race Subtitles  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Bring TAR to Serbia!!! (That is Serbian TAR logo)
Help needed: The Amazing Race Subtitles
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
Hello RFF!

I'm Serbian translator, and I already have make Serbian subtitle for s27e01.

Now, I need help in making English subtitle. English subtitle is a great way to make TAR (or any other tv series) even more popular, since someone may use it to translate it to his/her own language. If anyone wants to translate it in it's own language and don't know how, then go ahead and ask me, I will be happy to help you. Also, subtitles are great for the users who know English, but not perfectly (Those guys from non-English speaking countries). Please note that subtitles are "copyright free", they're work of users, so they're not illegal or anything (just saying).

Now, I need help only for season 27 (for now), but we, together may make transcripts/translations of other seasones/versions of The Amazing Race. I could do all that alone, but it takes so much time, and my English is not perfect, so I have bunch of mistakes, and things that I don't understand (in Serbian, I could miss them as our rule is to translate only core, but in English, rule is transcription: write down all they're saying). This way, subtitles could be done way too much faster, and they'll be 100% correct. So, if you want to help, just tell me, and I will explain what we should do.

Idea is to finish season 27 as quickly as we can. Episode one is finished up to there:

Show content
00:18:50,825 --> 00:18:52,413
they will receive their next clue.

I will give you a link with transcribed part, merged with automatic Closed Captions (CC) from CBS website, which is awful and uppercase, but it still helps.
There you can check my mistakes and my gaps, marked as (?) :D, and you can correct UPPERCASE (automatic) part. We will do that by "crowdsource" so everyone can edit same file, but your name(s) will be included at the end of subtitle.

Link is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JoDdwK-ObOJCDr9qmUUS5BHRgJnKtMwg_9jqeqBKgHI/edit?usp=sharing

If this is not for here and needs to be deleted, well thats okay. If nobody wants to help me, well that's okay too. If you have any questions, go ahead and ask me. I'm going to sleep now (it's 2am here), so I hope someone will help me untill I wake up :D

EDIT: Please note that measures are converted to European (miles to km, inches, feets, foots to cm)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:46:19 PM by Dzony95 »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: Help needed: The Amazing Race Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »
If you are interested, I have transcribed the entirety of Season 1 Episodes 1-6 in my free time. I planned to do, well, everything but things got busy.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Luckily, I have CC files (subtitles), but better ones, from hulu, for seasones 1-8 I think (and later ones)... I can send you them tomorrow, but they're probably not synced for your version...

Do you have some free time to help me with this? At least proofreading of already transcribed part?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
:welcome:  Dzony95!!

We are glad you are here! Lets see if anyone can help, we have some very talented people here!!

What a great thing to do!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »
I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe the versions available on DVD and download on ITunes are of better CC quality than are broadcast. Sometimes, the CC is garbled or misses something, but when the dvd/downloads are used the garbled and errors in transcriptions are usually gone

It's one reason I get the downloads from ITunes and then the DVDs once Amazon releases the produced on demand dvd versions. At least we have DVDs for seasons 1 - 19, and downloads from seasons 13 to the present. I can't speak for the Amazon Instant Video versions (depends on whether those are downloadable or just streamed as the CBS All-Access version is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:12:23 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:51:21 AM »
Hello, Dzony, since I have a free time, I decide to complete some of the subs for you. I put the words inside the brackets, but there are still some words that I can't catch and some words that I'm not sure of, so the other RFF members can check them out and help to complete them
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:34:42 AM »
Sorry link not allowed has great subs and they have most TAR subs in correct English! :tup:

The subs are a bit delayed (not the syncing but the release of the subtitle), but they're accurate! I use that for my 10+ weekly shows as well :lol:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:33:56 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:36 AM »
Luckily, I have CC files (subtitles), but better ones, from hulu, for seasons 1-8 I think (and later ones)... I can send you them tomorrow

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=50179507258611556366 There is .rar file with seasons 1-8 and 12 season, seasons 9, 10 and 11 are missing, and others are already available on the internet (I guess). They're little bit messy for reading, but, you can fix that this way:
Show content
Download URUSoft's SubtitleWorkshop -> load messy subtitle -> "save as", and choose "srt" extension and that's it. It will look like mine in that document.

What a great thing to do!!

Yeah Peach, it's great, but it definitely takes lot's of time.

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe the versions available on DVD and download on ITunes are of better CC quality than are broadcast. Sometimes, the CC is garbled or misses something, but when the dvd/downloads are used the garbled and errors in transcriptions are usually gone

I believe it's true, but I can't get them right now. You can check if they're the same with attached ones!

Hello, Dzony, since I have a free time, I decide to complete some of the subs for you. I put the words inside the brackets, but there are still some words that I can't catch and some words that I'm not sure of, so the other RFF members can check them out and help to complete them

Thanks a lot Theo! Your name will be included next to mine  :) I had lot's of mistakes/incomplete parts, right? I have to add that this is my first English subtitle ever, and my English is not that great for details :D If someone still wants to help, please do it :)

I will update file as soon as I do more.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has great subs and they have most TAR subs in correct English! :tup:

The subs are a bit delayed (not the syncing but the release of the subtitle), but they're accurate! I use that for my 10+ weekly shows as well :lol:

Yeah, I am member of that site :)
I am in contact with guy that used to make English subtitels (Zipley), but he can't make them anymore due the personal reasons.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:34:41 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
A link is updated: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JoDdwK-ObOJCDr9qmUUS5BHRgJnKtMwg_9jqeqBKgHI/edit?usp=sharing

Now there are first 400 lines. If anyone has some free time to correct it, I would appriciate that.

Offline Dzony95

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
Subtitle is done!

Check out script here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JoDdwK-ObOJCDr9qmUUS5BHRgJnKtMwg_9jqeqBKgHI/edit?usp=sharing

Now, I know that there are lots of mistakes and stuff, but for the first English subtitle ever, I hope it's great. Thank you all guys who helped me in this. You can still review this if you really want to, I don't mind :D (Because I can update it). To the next episode :D

At the end of the video it says: "Made by: Dzony95 and RFF team" (because of anonymous helpers)

:trampb: :ghug: :tu