Author Topic: TAR 27: Tanner Kloven & Josh Ahern (Best Friends)  (Read 27432 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 27: Tanner Kloven & Josh Ahern (Best Friends)
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »

#TeamTexas

Name:  Tanner Kloven
Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas
Connection to your teammate:  Best friend
Current occupation: Pharmaceutical sales rep
Describe what you do: I am in charge of the growth of over 280 physician accounts in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. On a daily basis, I drop off samples to offices and inform them of any changes or new products.
3 words to describe you: Thoughtful, competitive and humble.
Favorite hobbies: Playing/watching sports, being on the lake/ocean and exploring!
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I have upheld a good reputation throughout my entire life and I take pride in that.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Matthew McConaughey
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? A poor man’s Dan Bilzerian.
What scares you most about traveling? The fear of flying but other than that I crave traveling.
What excites you most about traveling? The exploration of the unknown. I love seeing things that aren’t the huge world renowned landmarks.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We have a hard time admitting we are wrong. Also, we are both so competitive that I am afraid that we will put the blame on each other in most cases.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He thinks he’s “Mr. Dallas” and sometimes his head doesn’t fit through all of the doorways. Being from Fort Worth, I’m opposite and laid back.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Norway, because I’m Norwegian and there is a Kloven (my last name) in Norway.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To continue our friendship as we see parts of the world that we never would’ve had the opportunity to see if not for The Amazing Race.

Name: Josh Ahern
Hometown: Dallas
Connection to your teammate: Best friend
Current occupation: Medical device sales
Describe what you do: I provide medical devices, training and technical support to Veterinarians and animal hospitals.
3 words to describe you: Confident, competitive and charismatic.
Favorite hobbies: Church, sports and I am a huge movie buff.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I am proud of my career. Prior to what I do now I worked in the operating room educating surgeons on medical devices, so whether it is human or animal medicine, I feel like I am helping to make a difference.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Looks: Ben Affleck. Moves: Usher.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? David Beckham
What scares you most about traveling? I think the language barrier when traveling abroad. I cannot stand being lost, so being unable to speak another language in a foreign country is going to be tough!
What excites you most about traveling? What excites me most about traveling is meeting people around the world! I really want to see how other cultures live and learn from them.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We are both extremely hard headed and tend to always want to take the lead. We will have to learn to work together and compromise.
Pet peeve about your teammate: His hair… it has to be perfect at all times; it deserves its own Instagram account.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? My last name is Irish and means “Lord of the horses.” I would love to go to Ireland and see where my family originated from.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To have the experience of a lifetime, learn from different cultures, and see the amazing world God created!
Follow on Twitter and Instagram: @JoshmAhern

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:56:07 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 27: Tanner Kloven & Josh Ahern (Best Friends)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/46NzacX08WM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/46NzacX08WM</a>
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:02:21 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
save
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »
Tanner is the orange guy, right? aww cute :$
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
is it legal to be hot and smart at the same time?  :lol: :umn:

I don't usually root for a m/m team, but they seem really fun. pls be the american jet & dave <3
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline JSM

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
lbr we are all just thirsty

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
These 2 seem cool. They remind me of myself and 2 of my closest buddies.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »
As I'm outside the US, I can't view any of the videos.  :(

So because of that I don't know how these guys come across, but I'm praying they're not just another generic, boring, dominating M/M team.  :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
It seems that they will go for Tiffany & Krista. But Jazmine & Danielle will go for them. Maybe Tiffany & Krista too.. haha Those guys have some work.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:14:29 AM »
It seems that they will go for Tiffany & Krista. But Jazmine & Danielle will go for them. Maybe Tiffany & Krista too.. haha Those guys have some work.

I think they will have an alliance with Tiffany & Krista,  like Caroline & Jennifer and Bates & Anthony from Season 22. Also, both teams are in constant communication with each other on Instagram, which suggests they formed a bond during the race, in my own opinion.

Offline Quốc Nghĩa

• RFF Sr. Member
  • #neverstopexploring
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
Tyler & James 2.0.

Offline PikaBelleChu

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "Pika-Pika-pi? Pika!"
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:42:08 AM »
Guys! This is the REAL Josh Ahern photos: He was featured as a model from a website,  DFW.com's Hot Issue 2015.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »
I don't usually root for M/M but I think I'm going to like them.

Not your usual alpha male with stuck up attitude, but gonna be like a DEREK/DREWish team <3333333 (I GUESS)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
:funny: :funny: :funny:

Living

September 22, 2015

College buddies seemed destined to ‘Race’

Highlights

Contacted by casting directors through Facebook

Chosen despite procrastination and a terrible video

Rivals in high school; best friends in college

North Texas residents Tanner Kloven and Josh Ahern will race around the world in hopes of winning one million dollars on the new season of “The Amazing Race,” which premieres, Friday, Sept. 25 on CBS.

In one episode, Tanner Kloven, left, and Josh Ahern must play a volleyball match on Copacabana Beach in Brazil.

North Texas residents Tanner Kloven and Josh Ahern will race around the world in hopes of winning one million dollars on the new season of “The Amazing Race,” which premieres, Friday, Sept. 25 on CBS.  Sonja Flemming - CBS

By David Martindale

Special to the Star-Telegram

Tanner Kloven and Josh Ahern’s presence this season on The Amazing Race defies all logic.

This North Texas duo, best friends since college, did almost everything wrong — practically
begging not to be cast in the long-running competition show. But they wound up getting selected anyway.

Who knew that playing hard-to-get is a viable reality-show strategy?

The 27th season of The Amazing Race begins at 7 p.m. Friday on CBS. Teams will log more than 34,000 miles, racing through five continents and 10 countries, in pursuit of the $1 million prize. But the first step of every journey is getting picked.

Kloven, a 26-year-old pharmaceutical sales rep from Fort Worth, and Ahern, a 28-year-old veterinary medical device salesman from Dallas, walk us through their reckless, don’t-pick-us approach.

Step 1: Don’t even bother to sign up.

Every year, reality shows like The Amazing Race invite wannabe competitors to submit online applications. Kloven and Ahern didn’t do that.

“We were contacted out of the blue by one of the casting directors through Facebook.

Tanner Kloven

“We were contacted out of the blue by one of the casting directors through Facebook,” Kloven says. “I wish I could say it was because we did something out of the ordinary on our Facebook pages, but we didn’t. It was just very random.

“He said he likes to find one team every year on Facebook. So he found us that way.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/living/article36174591.html#storylink=cpy

Step 2: Show little or no interest.

Of course, the guys ignored the casting director’s inquiry at first.

“I was very skeptical,” Ahern says. “I’ve gotten messages from people online who claimed they were casting for a TV show and none of it ever turned out to be real. So when someone said they’re interested in casting us for The Amazing Race, I didn’t believe it.”

So, they waited a few days before they even bothered to reply.

“Once we finally talked to the guy on the phone,” Kloven says, “we started to believe it a little.”

Step 3: Procrastinate, procrastinate.

The guys were instructed to fill out “80 pages of paperwork,” and they waited until the 11th hour.

Ahern says: “We were texting each other at 11:30 and midnight was the deadline. ‘Have you gotten the paperwork done?’ ‘Paperwork? What paperwork?’ We are both chronic procrastinators.”

Step 4: Make a terrible video.

“Other contestants spent a lot of time and effort shooting their videos,” Ahern says. “They told their stories, got them edited, and they were just beautiful. Tanner and I went to Tanner’s house, set two chairs out in a living room with steer horns behind us on the wall, and we filmed our interview on his iPad.

We thought, ‘There’s no way they’re picking us. We just ruined our chances by not taking the time to do this right.’

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/living/article36174591.html#storylink=cpy

Josh Ahern

“We had a blast doing it, but it was the worst thing ever. We thought, ‘There’s no way they’re picking us. We just ruined our chances by not taking the time to do this right.’ ”

Two weeks later, they got the phone call inviting them to be on the show. Now they’re thanking their lucky stars because the guys from “Team Texas” had the time of their lives.

Aside from a 10-day trip to London while in college, Kloven says he hasn’t traveled outside the country. Ahern, meanwhile, made a stop once in Toronto and vacationed in Mexico but “never got off the continent.”

So visiting other countries — the first leg of the journey was Venice Beach, Calif., to Rio de Janeiro — was an unforgettable experience.

Kloven and Ahern became friends when they were students at Texas Tech in Lubbock. Before that, they were high school sports rivals. Kloven, who lived in Aledo, went to high school at Southwest Christian in Fort Worth; Ahern, who lived in Grapevine, attended Harvest Christian Academy in Watauga.

“When you go to a small private school and you’re an athlete,” Ahern says, “you’re playing every sport that you can: basketball, football, baseball. So we kept running into each other.”

“I’m sure at the time we didn’t like each other,” Kloven adds. “Thank goodness we got to meet in college and I got to figure out he wasn’t as bad a guy as I made him out to be in my imagination.”

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
Blame the orange but they remind me of Sam&Dan.

I'm expecting them to be the generic M/M team in great shape that makes it for sure all the way up to F3. At least I hope they are bad at directions. I'm asking for something to care about here :/

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
They were really humble in victory which was nice to see.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
gods <3
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
They have potential to be fun tbh. Looking forward to another of their trainwrecky moment like at the water bike lol. <3 And then going from last to first. <3

I usually don't root for M/M, so this is really rare case. Such god. <3

Tanner is really really cute too btw. :X

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
I've never had reason to say this since season one, but Tanner and Josh do remind me of Rob and Brennan. That should say a lot.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »
I don't like the fact that they don't even bother with the casting and got chosen anyway.. like, you know.. getting by with their good looks and taking advantage of it?

There's nothing wrong with it though... just my own opinion and choice that I find uncomfortable with. Thousands of people apply each year but got ignored. They don't put in any effort and got chosen. I guess we can't blame them. Just need to look for that casting director. *rolleyes*

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
Jobby, if you read the complete interview several things stand out. Casting found them through Facebook to apply (using Facebook is recent, but randomly soliciting teams who are not celebrities or semi-famous to apply is not new). Tanner and Josh are habitual procrastinators....however, they're not the first team to submit their materials and video at the last minute, rushed, and get selected, and they won't be the last. Have to find those Facebook pages, because casting must have seen something they found interesting.

What I found interesting in that interview is that Tanner and Josh went to competing private high schools in the Dallas area, played against each other in three different sports, and in spite of that became best friends at Texas Tech. I sure that has happened to other people, but that is intriguing nonetheless.
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuzieTampa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
I wonder if their procrastination means they didn't prepare that much for the race. That could hurt them.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 11:16:11 PM »
I wonder if their procrastination means they didn't prepare that much for the race. That could hurt them.
Their backpacks aren't huge, so they figured that part out. If one of them can drive stick, and read a map, they'll be fine. :)
-- theschnauzers