Author Topic: S31: Stephen Fishbach (Bayon)  (Read 3077 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
S31: Stephen Fishbach (Bayon)
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
Stephen Fishbach

Image Credit: Monty Brinton/CBS

Season 18 Survivor:
Tocantins

Previous Finish: Runner-up

What will you do differently this time around? "In 2009, sitting next to demi-god JT at the final Tribal Council in Tocantins, I became the only person ever shut out in a final 2 in Survivor history. Since then, I’ve been Thursday-morning quarterbacking Survivor strategy as one of the Survivor Know It Alls and through my People blog. I believe my biggest mistake on Tocantins was that I never stepped out of JT’s shadow and owned the game I was playing. And I’ve learned that real strategy isn’t about crunching numbers. You have to connect with people’s hearts, not just count their votes."

http://www.ew.com/gallery/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-cast-photos/2285483_stephen-fishbach
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: S31: Stephen Fishbach (Bayon)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
As a Rob Has a Podcast follower, I have to root for Stephen!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
As a human being...so do I! One of my all time faves, and a stupendous player!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
BLOG 1!!

TV WatchOnly on People.com.

Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: Gearing Up for a Second Chance

Survivor Second Chance Premiere: Stephen Fishbach Blogs About Return to the Game

By Stephen Fishbach
  @stephenfishbach
09/23/2015 AT 11:30 AM EDT

Stephen Fishbach was the runner-up on Survivor: Tocantins and has been blogging about Survivor strategy for PEOPLE since 2009. This season, he will blog about his experiences in Cambodia as a competitor on Survivor: Second Chance. Follow Stephen on Twitter @stephenfishbach.

"This is the All-Stars. It's hardcore. You've gotta play this game more intense than you did before." –Amber Brkich, winner of Survivor: All Stars

Once more unto the beach.

Last May, Survivor fans voted to send 20 former players back to the island. Twenty losers were given a second shot to starve and suffer in the Cambodian monsoon while they played the world's greatest game. They could correct their mistakes – or fall flat on their faces trying.

Thanks to you, I was one of those lucky losers. So before I say anything else – thank you. Whether you voted for me, supported me on social media or happened to click on my face because you needed to fill out 10 ballots but were really there to vote for Joe: thanks.

Over the next few months, I have been gifted another incredible opportunity: I get to blog about the experience. I will be doing my usual episode analysis, awarding Fishies to great strategic moves and Rotten Fishies to blunders. This time, however, my blog will be leavened with my first-person experience of what it's like to actually be on the beach – how it feels to build a shelter, to put faith in an alliance, and to bask in the warm glow of Jeff Probst's dimpled smile.

No contestant has ever written about their experience during the actual show, so I am incredibly grateful to CBS and PEOPLE. I'm going to honor their trust in a few ways.

First, you will find no spoilers here. Whether I last three days or 39, the opinions presented here will be what I was feeling in the moment and not in any way colored by events in the game not yet broadcast. If I'm eliminated, I will blog about the show from the same perspective as always.

I also want to honor the experiences of my fellow contestants. I will try to see things through their eyes, and not use the bully pulpit of this blog to besmirch my enemies or applaud my friends. Fishies will be awarded to great moves, regardless of how they impact me.

I had forgotten, over the past seven years, how massive the Survivor experience really is. Even the worst, most NaOnkian players endure something intense. Every single contestant suffers starvation, rough elements, paranoia and betrayal. Everybody struggles to be their best self, to keep their wits about them as their bodies wither.

I had forgotten how many snap decisions go into every hour. Survivor contestants make a thousand small daily choices. Only a few end up mattering. There's almost no way to know which handful those will be.

Who's the first person you speak to in the morning? What do you say? Do you offer an alliance? Do you withhold information? Do you speak close to the shelter, or do you walk away? How long does the conversation last?

You could look like a moron on television for doing one dumb thing after you spent two weeks doing everything else right.

Before the Game Begins
This cast may be the greatest in the show's history. That's a testament to the fans' superb decision-making. A normal Survivor season is packed with erratic players, many of whom are dead on arrival. Starting this season, I believed that 17 of the 20 players could win.

I thought Shirin was a long shot, because we knew she was a millionaire, and because she might struggle to contain her big personality. I thought Woo was unlikely, given that he was neither particularly strategic nor did he have a hard-knock story. And I didn't think Abi could win, because Abi.

It sucks to be against so many great players. The better the opponents, the worse my odds! Nevertheless, I was excited to test myself. As a great man once said, "Iron sharpens iron."

I felt I could mesh well with Wentworth, Shirin, Vytas and Peih-Gee – smart, cerebral players. Wigglesworth, Woo and I shared the bond of being runners-up. I knew Terry from Survivor charity events. Most of all, I was excited to see Spencer. He and I had spent time together in New York and discussed everything from our pre-game strategies to our footwear.

I made no pre-game alliances, though. I didn't want any commitments inhibiting my flexibility in the game.

Conversely, I was nervous about Savage and Jeremy, alpha males who could feel threatened by me. I observed their body language. They gravitated towards each other. I prayed not to be on a tribe with either of them.

If you've seen the tribe divisions, you know that all my nightmares were fulfilled.

I went into Survivor: Second Chance knowing that I would be an early target. This blog and my Know It Alls podcast transformed me from an under-the-radar "Fishbach out of water" to a major strategic threat.

My hope was to last a few days, dodge a few votes and let my pre-game reputation fade as the game itself unspooled.

Still, I was anxious, sitting on that beach, waiting to start – knowing I could be the first person out.

I was also sick. Before the game began, I contracted a stomach bug from – if you can believe it – a bad avocado. (For those who watched Tocantins, you may know that avocados are my great culinary nemesis.)

So I'm giving myself the pre-game Fishy. No matter what happens from here on in, I have at least one.

When I was presented with this opportunity, I seriously debated whether or not to return. I had a powerful, transformative experience in Tocantins. I also left with a good reputation as a strategic player.

I knew that going back, I was risking that reputation. I could humiliate myself; I could fall flat on my face. So much luck goes into Survivor. The odds were against me doing as well.

But I realized that it was cowardly to avoid an incredible journey out of fear. By jealously guarding my reputation, I could miss out on a rare experience.

That wasn't the way I wanted to live my life.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to take this risk. I look forward to sharing the adventure that followed with you.

http://www.people.com/article/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-stephen-fishbach-preseason-blog
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
I'm sorry Stephen but second time = ain't no chance for you

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
He is all over the place, but at least he recognizes that..

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
He needs to get it together or pray for his tribe to take him far. He is an outsider now and he can't afford to be seen like that.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »
Sorry, but... first boot on Bayon.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
Analysis of Stephen Fishbach (original Bayon Tribe).

Following Episode 1 (posted in the wrong place last week): From scenes in which he appeared, Stephen Fishbach appears to be in trouble. He did not seem to find his place within his tribe, and the perception of him as a schemer might prevent anyone from working with him. I am not sure how he will manage his way out of that dilemma. A swap/split/merge that spares his head from the chopping block and allows him to exploit fractures on the other tribe might be his only way to last a while in the game.

Following Episode 2: Even if Stephen Fishbach benefits from a shakeup (which appears to be coming based upon scenes from the next episode), he is not long in this game for the same reasons why Shirin was eliminated. What this episode most clearly demonstrated is that the "Old School" players are capable of playing a "New School" game, and they do not want to play with people who only want to play a scheming game without social gentility. Fishbach sealed his fate on his current tribe by showing lack of awareness for Jeremy's personal feelings in favor of tagging him as a fellow schemer looking for the hidden immunity idol. Like Shirin, this is a leopard that cannot change its spots, and any new tribemates will probably observe this in him as well.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
Stephen Fishbach (Bayon Tribe, original Bayon)
Following Episode 3: Like Spencer, Fishbach received a reprieve from being at the bottom, as the original Bayon members in his new tribe will use his allegiance to protect themselves rather than vote him out as I imagine they had designs on doing. Nonetheless, Fishbach has already proven to be untrustworthy and compassionless, and it is really just a matter of whether he will be voted out of a minority alliance or kept all the way to the final tribal council where he would once again receive no votes.

Following Episode 4: Again like Spencer, Fishbach will try his best to form social bonds with his tribemates. His ulterior motives may not be as apparent to his tribemates as Spencer's. Nonetheless, he must show a willingness to work with personalities he might not enjoy, such as Kimmi's and Monica's. The preview scenes from the next episode seemed to suggest in-fighting amongst the women of his tribe, so that might keep the heat off him for a while.

--------
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 02:16:17 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »
Stephen Fishbach (Bayon after 2nd swap, Bayon after 1st swap, original Bayon)
Following Episodes 5 and 6: Stephen has one of the more memorable scenes of the season when he very emotionally discussed the necessity of making a major move like voting out the very popular Joe before he gains too much power and it is too late. He clearly does not want to make that mistake again. Fortunately for him, he has rebuilt trust with his tribemates after some poorly timed words early on. Unfortunately for him, Jeremy appears more likeable to his tribemates than him. So Stephen's agenda might be a tougher sell to his alliance, and he cannot push it too hard.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:40:24 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
Stephen Fishbach (original Bayon, Bayon after 1st swap, Bayon after 2nd swap)
Following Episode 7 (the merge): Fishbach led the charge to eliminate Kass for the reasons why he would eliminate himself if he were playing against himself. In a way, he bulldozed Savage's suggestion of targeting Ciera, which may cause a rift in the original Bayon majority alliance. If Fishbach's ultimate goal of eliminating Joe sooner rather than later comes to light, I am sure Savage will not take kindly to that. Much like Spencer, Fishbach must continue to dial back his hyper-strategizing and pick his moments wisely the way that Savage ultimately conceded that Kass should be targeted first. For the same reasons why Kass was targeted ahead of Ciera, Fishbach will be targeted ahead of Jeremy (his tribemate from Day 1). There is something to be said for relationships which have lasted the longest in the game. Now that Kass has been eliminated, the only castaways who have spent every day at the same camp are Fishbach, Jeremy, and Kimmi (with Bayon), separately Spencer and Kelly Wiglesworth (with Ta Keo/new Bayon/new Ta Keo), and separately Joe and Keith (with Bayon/new Ta Keo/new Bayon). Since there is no perceived alliance between Spencer and Wiglesworth and since Joe and Keith have avoided drama (since they had not gone to tribal council), the remaining castaways will want to break up the Fishbach, Jeremy, and Kimmi alliance as soon as possible, and Fishbach is the natural first target.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Following Episode 8: Stephen Fishbach is in trouble. Jeremy had to talk his alliance off the ledge about voting against one of their own, and that move ultimately backfired, as it led to Andrew Savage's elimination. So there is a lot of resentment toward Fishbach on top of how he is already perceived as someone who could stir the pot a little too much. Fishbach was correct in sharing his fears about Joe, yet he should have gauged his tribe a little better and not share those thoughts with Tasha, as she was bound to tell Savage, who overheard that conversation anyway. Fishbach will eventually need to gather a voting block against Joe, Keith, and Tasha, and the numbers do not appear favorable for doing that. Fishbach needs to trust Jeremy a lot more than Jeremy or anyone else needs or ought to trust him, certainly not an enviable position.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
Following Episode 9: As explained under Spencer, it was a smart strategic move for Fishbach to switch alliances and vote with the three women he labeled the "witches' coven." He certainly would have been a leading candidate for the first elimination among the eight in the previous majority following the elimination of the three "witches." So he moved up from no worse than eighth place to no worse than sixth, and he obtained a few more unlikeable candidates for fellow finalists in the process. He also obtained an advantage for a future tribal council vote -- the ability to steal a vote from a tribemate and cast a second vote in place of it. This certainly appears to be a very powerful advantage. However, he must use it in a way that does not endanger a vote that could be in his favor at the final tribal council. He should use it against the person he intends to eliminate at that vote, and it should be someone who he knows already would not vote for him as the Sole Survivor under any circumstance.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
Following Episodes 10 and 11: Like Ciera in the previous vote, Stephen was going to be targeted for his strong gameplay. His failure was not reading his tribe well enough to know that they were not genuinely on board with voting off Joe. Even worse than that, he poorly used his advantage of stealing a vote from a tribemate and casting a second vote in its place, as he voted for two different castaways instead of voting twice for one. This essentially diluted the power the advantage was intended to give him. Hindsight shows if he cast a second vote against Abi-Maria, he would have at worst finished in a tie, although the tie-breaking vote probably would not have gone in his favor. (Jeremy, Tasha, and Kimmi would have voted for Abi-Maria, while Joe, Keith, Spencer, and Kelley Wentworth would have voted for Stephen, although it would have been interesting to see if the advantage that Stephen played also applied to tie-breaking votes as well.) The plan of splitting votes in case of an idol was also flawed, as a united front against Joe, even without Spencer's vote, would have resulted in a 5-4 decision against Joe. Stephen's downfall was too many unnecessary contingency plans, not to mention how his ultra-competitive strategizing revealed him to be a threat.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Following Season Finale: There was no doubt that Stephen was casting his vote for Sole Survivor to Jeremy, as Jeremy had displayed the ultimate sign of loyalty by protecting him with an idol during a vote that would have eliminated him. At least he asked a relatively meaningful question about perceptions each of the finalists carried with them. Even still, it bolstered Jeremy's candidacy, as his perception was closest to reality and the least messy with regard to broken trust and disloyalty.