Author Topic: S31: Jeff Varner (Takeo)  (Read 2493 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
S31: Jeff Varner (Takeo)
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:28 PM »
Jeff Varner 

Image Credit: Monty Brinton/CBS

Season 2 Survivor: The Australian Outback

Previous Finish: 10th place

What will you do differently this time around? "Fifteen years is a long time. Like the game itself, I’ve grown, matured, changed, and learned to appreciate things much more than before. I expect my second chance will reflect all of that. In Australia, I was free, played the game and allowed myself to let go and have fun. I intend to approach this time around the exact same way. This game doesn't necessarily have to be an unpleasant experience. However it plays out, I assure you I’ll have fun every second I’m there."

http://www.ew.com/gallery/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-cast-photos/2285433_jeff-varner
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: S31: Jeff Varner (Takeo)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
I've seen Australia a VERY long time ago and maybe not even the whole season. And I don't even remember Varner, actually. But I think he's one of those I'm most looking forward to seeing - he's so witty and also smart :lol:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
He seems like an excellent character and someone who would be VERY likable if they went all the way!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
Analysis of Jeff Varner (original Ta Keo Tribe).

Following Episode 1 (posted in the wrong place last week): In his confessionals, Jeff Varner often made reference to the concept, "Old School vs. New School," which will be an ongoing theme this season. I view this as a simpler way of referring to the game of Survivor before and after the introduction of Hidden Immunity Idols. Watching all of the seasons that have transpired since The Australian Outback, he understands that players must build relationships both inside and outside of their core alliances (usually founded on common values and temperaments), as the game can change on a dime and contingency plans must be in place. It was nice to see him and the other "Old School" players lead the way in those discussions.

Following Episode 2: I really liked Jeff Varner's game-play this episode. He showed that he is willing to play both sides. Yet he did it in a way that does not demonstrate duplicity as much as fairness and inclusiveness (contrary to Shirin and Spencer's exclusiveness). Similarly, he was able to step back and let Terry Deitz and others carry the flag of his ultimate agenda. Jeff Varner will have to tap-dance around a lot of landmines if he continues to play this way, but he has executed it perfectly so far.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
He's an absolute star. So glad he is reveling in his chance!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
He's both TV gold and game gold.
Such a great strategist. And I really liked what I read on some website - he's not only playing other castaways, but the cameras as well. Varner knows damn well how fast this game is nowadays, and he has shown in through his campaigning and during pre-game. Yet he continues to narrate how hard is it for him to play at such pace :lol:

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:10 AM »
Bye Bye Varner...  :waves: :waves: :waves:

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »
UGHHHH HvV II PLEASEEEE. So pissed he didn't at least make merge.

Hate Woo -_-
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »
He was great TV. I wish we got to see him longer

Vanner >Abi

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
I was so shocked at his boot, totally expected him to make the merge! :/
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »
I was so shocked at his boot, totally expected him to make the merge! :/

I think everyone who read spoilers expected him to make the merge :lol:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
I don't get the Abi hate because of her getting out favorites, but I'm happy Varner at least got a second chance to play even though it was short.

Besides, Kimmi outlasting Varner after FOURTEEN years <3 <3 <3

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
Jeff Varner (Angkor Tribe, original Ta Keo)
Following Episode 3: Varner made a bone-head move by attempting to send signals to Kelly Wigglesworth in front of the remaining 16 castaways. As much as he may have seen that occur in past seasons of Survivor on television, he should have known that, if caught, it flies in the face of Survivor etiquette. He weakened his own original tribe by having to find a way to take the focus off of him. While he was fortunate the Abi-Maria/Peih-Gee conflict gave that to him, his gestures will be a source of concern for all original Bayon members going forward.

Following Episode 4: Jeff's tenuous position within his tribe was threatened even further when he sustained an injury during the challenge. The vote which eliminated him was strictly based upon his remaining tribemates desire to not to lose the next immunity challenge. It also follows the trend of eliminating contestants who have demonstrated a propensity for scheming too much early on. Jeff probably deserved a better fate, but he was on an underdog tribe since Day 1 and suffered from the numbers. Certainly there were castaways on other tribes that deserved to be eliminated before him. His argument at tribal council for eliminating Woo because of his dominance at individual immunity challenges was a weak one, as that stage of the competition is still between four and six eliminations away, not to mention how forming an alliance with Woo might help to eliminate other strong physical competitors on the other tribes (e.g. Joe, Terry).

--------
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 02:22:29 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
The edit is ridiculously good. :umn:
It tricked (not only) me to think that Varner would make a long run. And it's so sad he didn't, but then at least he was majorly focused on in all the episodes.

Don't know ya for S:TAO, love ya for S:2C :luvya: