Author Topic: Do you think the American version will ever include the Double-Battle?  (Read 9249 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
The Double-Battle, now with the official English title of Face Off, is a type of task that was introduced in the Latin American race and popularized by the Israeli race. It has also been featured in the Norwegian version (as the "Intersection"), the Filipino version (as the "Duel") and the Chinese version (as "Versus"). Now it has been introduced to the Canadian version as a full structure of the race with its own name, clue design and on-screen graphics.

But it has never been adopted by the original American version of the show.

Do you think it ever will be?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Do you think the American version will ever include the Double-Battle?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:33 AM »
I would love to. It separates teams more and the leg becomes harder to complete IMO  :)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:08 AM »
Maybe they wouldn't do it in the American TAR, but I'd love to see it once in a while.

It makes me ponder why there are so many names for this type of task ??? , but even I renamed it to roundabout for my fanfic. :funny:

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »
It didn't make a good first impression to Canadian viewers with this cast managing to show how breakable it is  :funny: 2 teams taking penalties, resulting in the last team getting a free pass because they had no one to compete with.

Though that was thanks in part to the prior Roadblock, which had one team member buried on a cold beach for 2 hours, hypothermia set in

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:21:01 PM »
It didn't make a good first impression to Canadian viewers with this cast managing to show how breakable it is  :funny: 2 teams taking penalties, resulting in the last team getting a free pass because they had no one to compete with.

Though that was thanks in part to the prior Roadblock, which had one team member buried on a cold beach for 2 hours, hypothermia set in

That would not have happened in other versions. Teams who have quit the Double-Battle previously (ie, Roni & Yael, TARI 4) have had to sit around and wait until the last team leaves and then serve the 15-minute penalty before leaving. The Canadian version was too lenient.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »
The Double Battle is horrible but I wouldn't mind the Intersection returning  :conf:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »
The Double Battle is horrible but I wouldn't mind the Intersection returning  :conf:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:07:31 AM »

That would not have happened in other versions. Teams who have quit the Double-Battle previously (ie, Roni & Yael, TARI 4) have had to sit around and wait until the last team leaves and then serve the 15-minute penalty before leaving. The Canadian version was too lenient.

Yeah, in TARPH2 also, teams who wanted to quit or hand over the win actually had to wait for the next team to arrive.

The idea of the Double Battle is fine, but I don't think it should have a hand in eliminating teams.  I think it depends on the task too.  But it should simply cause drama and foster rivalries or just be somewhat fun. 

One of the best "Duels" from TARPH2 was in Leg 8 where teams were pulled in a chariot by carabao/oxen and they had to grab flags along the way.  They had to beat their opponent to the finish AND grab all the flags.  The best part was that in any duel, it was possible for neither team to win and both would have to get back in line.  That was very exciting.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
The amazing race ANZ also have the double-battle but in different format, that is a nation double-battle, at SL five teams of each countries play tug of war, the winner will immediately be allowed to depart for the airport. The losing country's team would have to wait out a 10-minute time penalty before departing
There is also a nation double-battle task at start of 6th leg, Each individual team would have to choose a Russian nesting doll, and then had to search among hundreds of other nesting dolls in five separate houses to find the four smaller dolls that fit inside of theirs.
New Zealand teams won a first match but lost in a second match,

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster

I'd be happy if they bring back the Intersection. Double Battle is a risk.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I think the Double Battle would be too anti-climatic for US audiences
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
The reason the double battle works in the Israeli version and failed so hard in the Canadian version is that their legs are much much longer. American legs are even shorter than Canadian ones, so there's no chance of the loser catching up. Look at the results of U-turns in the Israeli version compared to other versions.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
The reason the double battle works in the Israeli version and failed so hard in the Canadian version is that their legs are much much longer. American legs are even shorter than Canadian ones, so there's no chance of the loser catching up. Look at the results of U-turns in the Israeli version compared to other versions.

That is true. While American/Canadian/other version's legs are typically: Extra task (often 2 in Canada, sometimes none in US), Roadblock, Detour, Pit Stop

Israel has so many tasks it takes 3 full episodes to cover it all. Have you ever seen the length of the leg summaries on Wikipedia?

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »

That is true. While American/Canadian/other version's legs are typically: Extra task (often 2 in Canada, sometimes none in US), Roadblock, Detour, Pit Stop

Israel has so many tasks it takes 3 full episodes to cover it all. Have you ever seen the length of the leg summaries on Wikipedia?
4 episodes with 72 minutes each for leg 9 TARI 5 in South Korea, and for Israeli version double battle usually occured in first episode of each legs then follows vy plenty of tasks

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
I hope to see the Face-Off in the US version one-day!  :conf:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:32 AM »
I hope NEVER to see this. One of my least favorite tasks ever.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 05:23:07 AM »
I hope NEVER to see this. One of my least favorite tasks ever.

Why do you think this!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
There was 2014 interview with Bertram and Elise (http://variety.com/2014/tv/awards/amazing-race-brain-trust-reveals-some-tricks-to-the-trade-1201221416/) where one question about the Intersection.

VARIETY: Has there ever been something you’ve tried, that didn’t work out in terms of a challenge?

ELISE: Not that didn’t work out in a challenge, but there are certain things we did, like the “Intersection”, where you had to wait for another team to show up and then do something as a group of four. That’s something we probably won’t bring back.

With the Double-Battle essentially being a reverse Intersection, I'd guess that's pretty much a "No".

It bottlenecks everybody (team in 1st has a significant lead. Not anymore, sit and wait...and wait), which in turn disadvantages the weak ones even further.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »
Agree, but you can work around that.
If the Intersection/Double-Battle was placed as the first task of the leg, in which teams are bunched by an HoO or a flight, then It could work nicely, helping to spread out the teams.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
That's my objection. It takes the outcome out of the racers' own hands. If they arrive at different times based on their own travel, that's one thing. But to then have to sit and WAIT based on ANOTHER team's placing...sucks.

I want the racer determined by how the TEAM performs. Not by artificial means. It is the same reason I hate the U-Turn. But I get that, but this makes zero sense to me.

Plus watching racers sit around waiting...is boring.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
A Double Battle at the start of a Leg is much better than forced staggered start times at least.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »
Hell no to this idea!
I don't like mid-leg bunching at all.

Furthermore, it nearly certain leads to the death of the losing team, which is even worse than the u-turn

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
A Double Battle at the start of a Leg is much better than forced staggered start times at least.

Start times are based n Arrival at Mat times, they aren't forced, they continue to recognize and maintain the finish/arrival order...at least until airport bunching.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
I think that both the Intersection and Face Off can work if they are placed smartly. There are times when production knows with certainty that all teams will get bunched up, so it's good to place one right after that. The Intersection in Madagascar was good because it was obvious everyone would be on the same flight from Mauritius. The one in Poland was NOT smart and remains as one of the dumbest things TAR has EVER done.

There could even be a contingency. If a team is waiting for too long without anyone showing up, they can skip the task, and whoever is showing up really late will have to wait a penalty or do a different, hard task.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
Now, what does everyone thinks?

I don't like it. As the firefighters said on the last episode, after winning the last race:  "you were the better team today"

So if they were the worst team that day, they should've gone home! The twist gives too much chance. I didn't like it.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard