Author Topic: TAR 28 Pre-Race Discussion **Spoilers**  (Read 87264 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 28 Pre-Race Discussion **Spoilers**
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »
I would like to see the return of some sort of interactive contest. A watch and enter like what TAR Canada is doing. That always helps.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
What do you mean, Peach? I don't watch TAR Canada, so maybe I don't get the reference ???

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
An online interactive game that ties in with TAR on a week to week basis..
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 12:56:01 AM »
Marketing three weeks in advance before the premiere do help shows get further attention. Appealing action shots and engaging previews helped Scorpion and it continues to do so for long-running Big Brother too. Why not try it out for TAR? Season 17 neared and reached 12 million viewers partly because of Claire's watermelon smash video.
Yeah, TAR needs to make sure to have some kind of viral social media-ready task for the TAR28 premiere.  Something interesting and funny that they can use to help promote the premiere, especially with a possible Super Bowl (or Super Bowl pre-game/post-game) commercial spot.  They'll need something that pops out instantly in a 15 or 30 second commercial. 

(Maybe something with teams rolling around in a mud pit with pigs?  :yess:) haha
The Super Bowl would be a shoe-in for better ratings and more viewers. But unless a sponsor like FitBit, Ford, or Travelocity generously pitches in for the cause, I can only continue seeing TAR being promoted during playoffs. A 15-sec advertisement during GSB50 would cost at bare minimum: a season's cash amount of first place prizes including the $1 million + then some.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 04:01:03 AM »
The network keeps a certain amount of commercial time for itself to promote its own shows.  So, basically they don't pay themselves for the slots where they promote their own shows.

This was the SB commercial in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SQHRu9DJ8
But I'm not sure if CBS promoted TAR during the SB in 2013.  I definitely don't think they'd use up some valuable commercial time for TAR during the Super Bowl.  Definitely in whatever they lead-out with (maybe Rush Hour premiere?) But if they have something eye-popping, then a quick 15 second spot might not be out of the question.

It would be good though for TAR28 to premiere on February 12th, the Friday after the Super Bowl to grab a few extra viewers.  Wouldn't it be an amazing miracle if TAR got the post-Super Bowl slot?!  :keeta: Hehe. (5 years too late)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
No way will TAR get any Super Bowl slots...sadly.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »
Seeing as the last 2 spring seasons have had gimmicks, and the fact that the casting website was still accepting singles applications, I'm expecting some kind of gimmick season in TAR28, as much as it pains me.  There's an open casting call out near Albany next weekend which I think I may be attending, but it might not matter if its all singles or more blind dates.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
Since season 26-27 both visited South America, & 25-27 visited Africa, this season will most likely visit 3 continents, MAYBE 4 if the budget allows for Australia. However, I believe they could consolidate this for having additional legs in North America. Canada & Mexico seem most obvious, but some jungle legs in Costa Rica or a visit to Tikal in Guatemala would be so fantastic!
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »
Since season 26-27 both visited South America, & 25-27 visited Africa, this season will most likely visit 3 continents, MAYBE 4 if the budget allows for Australia. However, I believe they could consolidate this for having additional legs in North America. Canada & Mexico seem most obvious, but some jungle legs in Costa Rica or a visit to Tikal in Guatemala would be so fantastic!

I assumed for this season will still likely to visit 5 continents, the third season in a row after seasons 26 and 27. The race will use a plenty of budget that allow to start the westward route from North America, down south to Oceania (Australia), then up to Asia, and down south again to Africa and head up North to Europe again. For this season, Africa will finally beat its streak of three straight season visits (seasons 1-3, 5-7 and 10-12). Europe will have four different countries in each leg. Slovenia would be nice and has a scenic landscape. The urban legs in Spain (Madrid) and Ireland (Dublin) would be thrilled and have beautiful places. I believe the penultimate leg in Ireland would be awesome. Madrid has neither visited nor have a full leg in American TAR, and Dublin as well.

6 continents: TAR5, TAR11 (2)
5 continents: TAR2, TAR7, TAR9, TAR13, TAR16, TAR18, TAR20, TAR22, TAR26, TAR27 (10)
4 continents: TAR1, TAR3, TAR4, TAR6, TAR10, TAR12, TAR17, TAR19, TAR23, TAR25 (10)
3 continents: TAR14, TAR15, TAR21, TAR24 (4)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:52:45 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
Seeing as the last 2 spring seasons have had gimmicks, and the fact that the casting website was still accepting singles applications, I'm expecting some kind of gimmick season in TAR28, as much as it pains me.  There's an open casting call out near Albany next weekend which I think I may be attending, but it might not matter if its all singles or more blind dates.

27 also had singles application taken lol :p

Blind Dates are great and could work (26 proves it), but hopefully we have like 1-2 blind date teams with normal teams if they do it again!

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 12:54:10 AM »
Phew. The Koreas have shaken hands. South Korea is still possible for TAR28  :cheer:

Offline PikaBelleChu

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "Pika-Pika-pi? Pika!"
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 04:13:14 AM »
My wishlists for Season 28 will be up for RUMORS:
Maybe it's 4 continents, 10 countries  and I think there's no South America.
So, Oceania should be included and therefore, 2 Australia and 1 New Zealand are part of it as though Brazil and Argentina are combined.
make it three legs, and then off to Asian countries such as 1 Vietnam, 1 Cambodia, and 1 Jordan. and that's six legs, followed by European countries like 1 Hungary, a new city in 1 Italy as it is an overdue country, 1 San Marino, and 1 Madrid and 1 Barcelona in the heart of Spain.
all 11 legs, making Spain a penultimate leg.

:hearts: :luvya:

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »
I don't know if they'll be starting soon, but I'll give my predictions as of now.

1.) There will most likely be at least 1 new country.
2.) There will most likely (or definitely) be NorthAm, Europe, and Asia.
3.) There will probably be Africa.
4.) There will probably be a return to countries that haven't been visited in a long time.
5.) There will most likely be another LA start.

Predicted route: NorthAm --> Europe --> Africa --> Europe --> Asia --> Australia & Oceania --> NorthAm

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »
I feel like a safe bet is Australia, the exchange rate is favouring the US and hence its cheaper to head over here then it has been for the past few years, plus no visit since 18. (FYI: Producers, if your reading this, come to Canberra :)

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:15 AM »
I am guessing that TAR that parts of central and southern Europe will be avoided due to the ongoing refugee crisis. I guess we can eliminate Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Serbia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. San Marino probably won't be featured as well, as the only way to get in is through Italy.

If new European countries are to be featured, it may be Andorra and Luxembourg, but I won't put my hopes too high on them.

Due to the current situation in Malaysia, I guess we can count them out as well. If the haze in Southeast Asia does not improve, we can count out Indonesia and Singapore.

It's getting warmer in the Southern Hemisphere. Oceania should be featured. Hopefully Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart and some Pacific islands will get visited.

Southern Africa may have a shot. Lesotho and Swaziland for first time visits?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:13:56 AM by Genius »

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »
I assumed for this season will still likely to visit 5 continents, the third season in a row after seasons 26 and 27. The race will use a plenty of budget that allow to start the westward route from North America, down south to Oceania (Australia), then up to Asia, and down south again to Africa and head up North to Europe again. For this season, Africa will finally beat its streak of three straight season visits (seasons 1-3, 5-7 and 10-12). Europe will have four different countries in each leg. Slovenia would be nice and has a scenic landscape. The urban legs in Spain (Madrid) and Ireland (Dublin) would be thrilled and have beautiful places. I believe the penultimate leg in Ireland would be awesome. Madrid has neither visited nor have a full leg in American TAR, and Dublin as well.

I am guessing that TAR that parts of central and southern Europe will be avoided due to the ongoing refugee crisis. I guess we can eliminate Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Serbia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. San Marino probably won't be featured as well, as the only way to get in is through Italy.

If new European countries are to be featured, it may be Andorra and Luxembourg, but I won't put my hopes too high on them.

Due to the current situation in Malaysia, I guess we can count them out as well. If the haze in Southeast Asia does not improve, we can count out Indonesia and Singapore.

It's getting warmer in the Southern Hemisphere. Oceania should be featured. Hopefully Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart and some Pacific islands will get visited.

Southern Africa may have a shot. Lesotho and Swaziland for first time visits?

First, I agree with Platrium and we should continue to do westward race from NorthAm -> Oceania (Australia) -> Asia -> Africa -> Europe -> NorthAm (5 continents and 9 countries), on a traditional LA start with a standard 12 leg race.

Europe is much limited right now as within the continuation of migrant crisis, Greece is very unlikely due to political situation has growing in years. The only unvisited Balkan nation is Bulgaria and might could get its first visit there with a better lush picturesque landscapes, partly in the capital city of Sofia. Genius mentioned about the Germanic-speaking countries, Switzerland also ruled out as well.

Middle East will also be avoided as well due to on its instability with the conflict between Iraq and Syria.

Italy's second largest city Milan never had a full leg, but could get its second visit.

South Africa is way long overdue for TAR28 as its summer right there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:59:11 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2015, 03:35:16 AM »
Since much of Europe may be avoided, how returning to Kazakhstan for a winter Leg?  Watching Almaty's bid for the Winter Olympics last month, there are some great possibilities for tasks in Almaty and the surrounding areas.

It will also fit well on an Oceania > Asia > Africa/Europe route since a snowy Kazakhstan Leg will be a great contrast to either a tropical or poor urban Asian Leg (rural Philippines?).

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
Maybe time for Antartica cruise?

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »

:funny: maybe
what might have been

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »

:funny: maybe
^ I really want this to happen. And a visit to Laos and Guatemala.

Perhaps we might get a visit to Oceania again this season.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
Antarctica might not happen and has no permanent population unlike the six inhabited continents, but has indeed a temporary population separates into a dozen of stations inside the seven claimed zones around 60-72 parallel south.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:59:15 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:09 AM »
The main issue I could see with Antarctica is cost though that can be lessened by visiting it late-race (I mean if they're going to rent out a luxury hotel, helicopters to race in Monaco, and remt out multiple Dallas landmarks then budget may not be so bad).

The other issue is that it would be a bottleneck, forcing either two legs there (which borders on unsafe) or more likely a leg in the connecting city - Punta Arenas would be cheapest/closest, Melbourne or other points in Australia would be easiest to facilitate a leg (though I think the flying to/from Ant would be difficult) and I imagine Christchurch would be personally appealing to Phil.

Combining those makes for tl;dr - visiting Antarctica would mean production has to plan most of /all of the race around it.

(Though given that we're probably not doing BOTH Africa and South America maaaaybe)

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
The main issue I could see with Antarctica is cost though that can be lessened by visiting it late-race (I mean if they're going to rent out a luxury hotel, helicopters to race in Monaco, and remt out multiple Dallas landmarks then budget may not be so bad).

The other issue is that it would be a bottleneck, forcing either two legs there (which borders on unsafe) or more likely a leg in the connecting city - Punta Arenas would be cheapest/closest, Melbourne or other points in Australia would be easiest to facilitate a leg (though I think the flying to/from Ant would be difficult) and I imagine Christchurch would be personally appealing to Phil.

Combining those makes for tl;dr - visiting Antarctica would mean production has to plan most of /all of the race around it.

(Though given that we're probably not doing BOTH Africa and South America maaaaybe)

The only problem that Antarctica does not have regular/scheduled flights from Australia/New Zealand. Qantas does a charter flight since the 1990s and its only for limited basis. Air New Zealand had a sightseeing charter tour in Antarctica, but it was cancelled due to the fatal crash in Mount Erebus of 1979.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:35:42 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2015, 02:12:28 AM »
So is the German speaking country are not likely visited in this winter season? Becasuse tbh I was sick on TAR keep on visiting there every winter season since TAR14.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
I don't think Switzerland can be ruled out? Anyway, thinking out loud, TAR 27 upended a lot of traditions (tbh this route would've been near perfect for 28 with the benefit of HK replaced with something else). With that said:

Show content
Oceania
- Previously visited: 22, 18 (filming normalized starting in 14 so like production I choose to ignore earlier seasons.
I feel like there have been rumors of a leg in Australia every season since 22 lol. Pretty likely for two legs with an outside chance of a third on an island somewhere.

Africa
- Previously visited: 27
- Previous WINTER visits: 26, 22, 20, 16
South America
- Previously visited: 27
- Previous WINTER visits: 26, 20, 18, 16

Starting from 14 the pattern for winter trips is none, both, SA, both, Africa, none, both. If the pattern holds I'd say we're getting South America only, 2 legs max.

Europe & Asia

Will be visited lol. Though...

Europe heavy / Asia light seasons: 25 (5 vs 3), 22 (4 vs 2), 12 (5 vs 3)
Europe light / Asia heavy seasons: 23 (3 vs 5 incl Middle East), 19 (3 vs 5), 18 (3 vs 5), 13 (2 vs 4)
Relatively even: (27), 26, 20, 17, 16
Even because 2 continents: 24, 21, 15 (incl Middle East), 14

I think history as well as present political circumstances would beget an Asia-heavy season. Bonus points since the countries in Europe that are fine to race in are fairly expensive.

I could see the race going in either direction (the last two trips to Oceania were early, the last trip to South America was early) so while I would LOVE a US - Europe - Asia - Oceania - South America - US route (reverse 13) I think we'll likely get US - South America - Europe - Asia - Australia - US (discount 9).