Author Topic: TAR18: Impossible Detour?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Tallguy700

• RFF Full Member
TAR18: Impossible Detour?
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:31 AM »
Back when TAR 25 had the Flag Detour, I remembered a bunch of detours in Unfinished Business that were extremely hard, some harder than "Flag". In leg 8, a detour involved teams splitting a gigantic meal of Austrian fried food and dessert in 15 minutes. Even if you ate quickly enough, there was still a high chance of failing, and doing it a second time, or multiple times meant almost definitely getting sick. But I think they really pushed the difficulty scale too high when it came to a detour in Brazil, which involved trying to sell swimsuits at a public beach. Was this detour even possible? That beach was HUGE, and like one of the girls said to Zev & Justin: Who's going to buy swimsuits at the beach when everybody already has one?

I missed have the seasons of Amazing Race so personally these seemed like the hardest ever to me. Has there been any instances of harder detours I've missed that you know of? ???

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR18: Impossible Detour?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:19 AM »
Ski Detour in Thailand 1 from TAR26. If the professional athletics cannot get it done, you know it's a bit too hard.

I agree with the eating detour in Austria, it was TOO hard. And you only have one chance to get it done. But since if they can get it done it'll be MORE quicker than the bed moving detour. I think it's a fair gamble. But the selling task in Rio could work though had other team do it. Like Mallory or someone with great social skill. Two men trying to sell swimming suit for girls and convince them to try it on RIGHT AWAY is not really a great idea. :lol:

Also, all the tasks from TAR18 are very hard in general IMO. :lol:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:21:16 AM by Keepcopz »

Offline Tallguy700

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:33:47 AM »
I agree, that detour choice this past season was a landslide from insanely easy to almost impossible to complete, but because balance was a key factor in the chair skiing task, I think that could have been done with a team with great ice skating ability and great balance in both members. I'm pretty sure at the Austrian food task they all had the option to do it again, rather they chose to switch instead. Mallory did suggest she throw up and then redo the task, which Gary decided against.  ???

(Unfinished Business kinda separated hard detours from nearly impossible though.)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:28:36 AM »
I think you're mixing up the chair skating detour with the water ski detour.

Offline Tallguy700

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:02 AM »
Well yeah, the concept is making sure each team member can guide the other by moving the chair, but you really need balance for it I believe. It's one think trying to move the chair, but if your legs move back too far and you can't balance yourself, you both fail.  :(

Offline rafaelfm02

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
TAR 16 morse's detour task has just popped out from my mind... You know why joe & heidi elimimated early -->> that challenge + u-turned

and i prefer TAR 16 than 18 in detour task cause they were well balance and pretty hard too, but yeah Tar 18 considered as king of detour because well... I admit it, they had many great detour tasks which hard and took many time to finished it

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »
Well yeah, the concept is making sure each team member can guide the other by moving the chair, but you really need balance for it I believe. It's one think trying to move the chair, but if your legs move back too far and you can't balance yourself, you both fail.  :(
?????????

Please read what I said again. People here (including me) are talking about the water ski detour in Thailand, not the Japan chair thing.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
What about leaving Zambia and driving about 100 miles into the neighbouring country of Botswana to photograph an Elephant? Impossible to do without being eliminated, I'd say :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:35:49 PM by GB »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Tallguy700

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
my memory must be failing me so I apologize if I mixed those 2 detours up.

Holy crap, I forgot about that detour side! (Though it was about 68 miles away though.)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »
For Margie & Luke, it is completely impossible for Luke to do the mix master (DJ) detour in TAR24's Leg 4. The other side of the detour, master mix (drinks), was really hard too, but some teams showed that it was possible to finish the drinks detour.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
^ Omg yes, that was very unfair for them.
Anyway, it was explainable as the leg was a spontaneous replacement.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »
It's nothing new though, Luke couldn't do the TAR14Leg2 Roadblock either.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
TAR 16 Morse Code in France
TAR 18 Eating Food in Austria
TAR 18 Selling Bikinis in Copacabana (IM-POS-SI-BLE)
TAR 26 Water Ski in Thailand

Those were really the hardest ones
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »

Was that the hanggliding roadblock?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »
Ski Detour in Thailand 1 from TAR26. If the professional athletics cannot get it done, you know it's a bit too hard.

I agree with the eating detour in Austria, it was TOO hard. And you only have one chance to get it done. But since if they can get it done it'll be MORE quicker than the bed moving detour. I think it's a fair gamble. But the selling task in Rio could work though had other team do it. Like Mallory or someone with great social skill. Two men trying to sell swimming suit for girls and convince them to try it on RIGHT AWAY is not really a great idea. :lol:

Also, all the tasks from TAR18 are very hard in general IMO. :lol:

I think it wouldn't have worked out for any team. Don't forget, they would be filmed by cameramen also. I would have been really uncomfortable if I was the unlucky Brazilian lady approached by the team.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »

Was that the hanggliding roadblock?

Yes. The clue is briefly visible as saying "You need to be able to follow audio cues for this task" or something.