Author Topic: Under-rated Legs  (Read 8611 times)

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
Under-rated Legs
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:05:01 AM »
So I was having a think to myself earlier and what are some of the more under-rated legs in Race history. They can be from any version and any season.

For me one of the more underrated legs was Season 7, Leg 3.

The spectacular drive through the Andes to open the leg, A cool physical detour and the mental challenge of the meat roadblock. I'm surprised this leg isn't talked about more!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Under-rated Legs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:55:21 AM »
TAR24 Leg 4 :lol:

Best ep of that crap TBH.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:17:57 AM »
TAR 18 Leg 5

Huge come-back of the goths, u-turn drama, language problem (China), Taxi drama, challenging roadblock

TAR 23 Leg 5

EP drama of ER doctors and Marie, Taxi drama, U-turn, Crazy run for 1st place

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
I don't think 18.05 is underrated. It's amazing leg with balance detour + W-Turn and good RB!

I think 15.11 is the one I think often got overlooked, it's best leg from that season IMO in term of task and leg design. Fun speedbum + Mental Challange RB + Strange but pretty cool ARI + Good physical Detour. And it's all happened at night in Prague! The only letdown that made this leg crap is that the obvious boot of FT & BE since they don't know how the permutation law work. :res: But all in all, it's still good leg and should get some credit.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
Leg 7 of TAR16 - Seychelles
I still remember the CBS promo for this Leg dubbing it as "Trouble In Paradise" and that made me want to watch earlier than Sunday. :grins: Initially thinking at that time the ad was another one of those hype stunts that would be underwhelming in the broadcast, I was highly impressed with the challenges and task drama in the episode. Luring a tortoise with a banana, the one missing coconuts/the fruit vendor taking one big glance at carts piled high with coconuts and then saying "It's not enough coconuts" with Brent flipping out and Caite tearing up :lol:, underwater bottle Roadblock, and Jet & Cord's backtrack. As for the sights, I would love to go on a helicopter ride from Victoria to La Digue.

Besides Leg 2, TAR16 is a generally underrated season as a whole. Bitter viewers of the Dan & Jordan-Carol & Brandy-Jet & Cord conflict tossed the entire excitement to the curb.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:44:10 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »
TAR 23 - Leg 2.  I've noticed that so many people have no opinion of this Leg, (which is almost worse than hating it), but there's something about it that gives me a Super-Leg feel.  ???

The tasks were great, the drama between Tim & Marie and Rowan & Shane was great, and then Rowans utter fail at the RB, who would've survived had he not went to the wrong Shoe Shiner!  :groan:  And Chester & Ephraims' epic random win, before their disastrous fall in the next Leg.  :'(
Overall, just a great Leg!  :cheer:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
TAR 25 Denmark's leg

Misti and Jim "dominating team wanna be" fall down, great detour and RB, and shelley and nici confrontation in entire leg

also 24 Malaysia's second leg well pretty good for overrated season
what might have been

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »
TAR 23 - Leg 2.  I've noticed that so many people have no opinion of this Leg, (which is almost worse than hating it), but there's something about it that gives me a Super-Leg feel???

The tasks were great, the drama between Tim & Marie and Rowan & Shane was great, and then Rowans utter fail at the RB, who would've survived had he not went to the wrong Shoe Shiner!  :groan:  And Chester & Ephraims' epic random win, before their disastrous fall in the next Leg.  :'(
Overall, just a great Leg!  :cheer:
Location, location, location! ;) That Leg made very whimsical transitions from the Atacama Desert to the urban hub of Santiago and lastly to the forest of Cascada de las Aminas. It was like a mini-adventure without even taking a flight to another country.

In my opinion, Chile 2 is of the best Legs of that season.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
TAR 25 Denmark's leg

Misti and Jim "dominating team wanna be" fall down, great detour and RB, and shelley and nici confrontation in entire leg

25.04 is not underrated, IMO. It's an amazing leg and everyone seemed to love it. Def top two leg of 25. (I think 25.05 / Morocco 1 is a bit better)  :hearts:

In my opinion, Chile 2 is of the best Legs of that season.

I prefer UAE 2 and Indonesia 2 better in 23. Those two legs were a bit underrated too. :(

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:36:08 AM »
Both 23 Indonesia was great (even Indonesia 1 was won an emmy last year.) and I think TAR23 Indonesia leg was the best Indonesia leg so far. (I completely loathed and disgusted the TAR21 Indonesia leg  (:;) :tantrum :res: :barf )
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
15.11 <3 23.2 scenery <3 (if only the Detour was like...good :()

I'm going to throw a vote for 2.7 - it's an undeniably cultural leg...without any physical OR mental tasks aside from cryptic clues <3

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
Canada Season 1, Episode 5.

Even though it was in its own country, this one had elements of a great Amazing Race leg. Every challenge was incredibly difficult.

-A "needle-in-a-haystack" Route Marker task that made 2 teams quit
-A detail-specific Roadblock with a "drill sergeant" kind of judge
-2 very physical Detours, plus Double U-Turn
-A footrace up a flight of stairs to aforementioned U-Turn
-A Fast Forward that was edited out because it was so tough nobody could complete it.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Canada Season 1, Episode 5.

Even though it was in its own country, this one had elements of a great Amazing Race leg. Every challenge was incredibly difficult.

-A "needle-in-a-haystack" Route Marker task that made 2 teams quit
-A detail-specific Roadblock with a "drill sergeant" kind of judge
-2 very physical Detours, plus Double U-Turn
-A footrace up a flight of stairs to aforementioned U-Turn
-A Fast Forward that was edited out because it was so tough nobody could complete it.

I just re-watched this Season over the weekend, and this was without doubt the best Leg.  Like you said it had everything, but I didn't realise there was a Fast Forward.  :o

Do we know what it was? Or which teams attempted to do it?  ???

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

I just re-watched this Season over the weekend, and this was without doubt the best Leg.  Like you said it had everything, but I didn't realise there was a Fast Forward.  :o

It was at the same place where the Roadblock was, and it was some driving simulation they use in police training. Vanessa & Celina (at one point you can see the green envelope in her hand) and Jet & Dave did it. Jet's a cop and even he couldn't get it.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »

It was at the same place where the Roadblock was, and it was some driving simulation they use in police training. Vanessa & Celina (at one point you can see the green envelope in her hand) and Jet & Dave did it. Jet's a cop and even he couldn't get it.

Now you mention it, I do remember seeing the green envelope and thinking there must be a FF, but then just totally forgot about it.  :groan:
Jet & Dave did it? They must've had a serious lead then, if they were able to attempt it, fail and still keep their lead.  ???

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
Some of the first legs of the 15th season were amazing in my opinion.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
Leg 1 of season 15
Legs 2, 3, 9 of season 17

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »
I can't speak for legs from most newer seasons, but there are some real good classics I can think of:

Season 9, Leg 6. This leg was great because of the self-driving, the beautiful countryside, the awesome thrilling Roadblock, and the entertaining Detour.

Season 6, Leg 2. Beautiful scenery, very entertaining Detour. I really liked the overnight rest with the boat race between the teams.

Season 11, Leg 8. This leg was actually really awesome. The visit to Auschwitz was wonderful and emotional. The Detour and Roadblock were both great, and made even more entertaining because this was a night leg.

Season 12, Leg 11. The finale leg had perhaps the most well-designed Roadblock in the history of the Race. Not to mention it was fun to see the teams ice climb, and skin fish.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »
Some of the first legs of the 15th season were amazing in my opinion.

I agree! Intense SLT, Tokyo (Japanese game and tourist task!) and Cai Be (mud pits and duck herding!) were great
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 05:24:32 AM »
Am I the only one alone in my love for TAR24's second Malaysia leg? :lol: :lol:

I thought the RB was pretty fun, and the Detour was amazing. Not culturally relevant, but I had a blast watching the ep.

Offline WinTar

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 05:29:49 AM »
Yes, you are.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
Malaysia 2 in S24 is definitely underrated!!!
It was probably my favourite episode of the season, even though the Roadblock was very linear.

And to think that it was a replacement leg!! :o

Offline clemsonbeav

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »
I must say...based on this thread (and elsewhere), that I find myself struggling to call myself a TAR fan...you guys can recall specific legs from specific seasons...that's some dedication!  :)

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
I think the Malaysia 2 and Sri Lanka 2 in are the only acceptable All-Stars leg in TAR24. Other than that every leg outside those 2 legs was sub-par.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
I must say...based on this thread (and elsewhere), that I find myself struggling to call myself a TAR fan...you guys can recall specific legs from specific seasons...that's some dedication!  :)
We're not your ordinary fans, we're super fans :grins:
I can't say for everyone here, but I usually check the wikipedia pages when I'm lost and I certainly don't recall everything! :)