Author Topic: Your Biggest TAR Pet Peeves?  (Read 36057 times)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Your Biggest TAR Pet Peeves?
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
I miss Phil showing us details about the country they were presently in at the Pit Start instead of random unnecessary eat, sleep, mingle moments =/

I thought in the early seasons, they showed a little bit of the "in between" stuff. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that?

I like how they were able to show both in the past. :( I'm learning more with Phil's narration on the nation's history and culture though.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
I miss Phil showing us details about the country they were presently in at the Pit Start instead of random unnecessary eat, sleep, mingle moments =/

I thought in the early seasons, they showed a little bit of the "in between" stuff. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that?

They did sometimes, but never at the expense of Phil talking about the location. And when we did see it, it would be part of a storyline, like Reichert and Chip coming out to the remaining teams or Alex getting together with Tara

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
I hate it when hosts of other versions or Phil in some recent seasons say "You're the xth team to arrive" to announce placements instead of the tried and true "You're team number x!". At this point I'm Pavlovian conditioned to expect a "but..." when they do that and it just really throws me off.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
They did sometimes, but never at the expense of Phil talking about the location. And when we did see it, it would be part of a storyline, like Reichert and Chip coming out to the remaining teams or Alex getting together with Tara

That's what I meant. :P
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »
Damn, I hate it when Phil is like "(team name here) is standing right behind me grabbing their next clue for a De-Tour", I mean just explain the De-Tour and go away
I totally agree with this. I don't want to hear NFL-style play-by-play announcements on the show. It's a distraction.
I like to think that this segment took away the calling of all Pit Stop placements. :groan:
This needs a bump, because when the live commentary was implemented (& placements started to rarely be called out), I started to dislike Phil as a host.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
Phil has still been an awesome host and definitely my favorite of the big three. (Phil>>>>>>>Chenbot>>>>>>>J*ff Pr*bst).

The live commentary is forced but if that's what they make Phil do, then =/

The secret scenes still rock though, especially at the Pit Stop, it's still so much fun to see Phil throw out random quips and questions and talk with the teams!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »
Yeah, I don't care for the live commentary, either. Phil in recent seasons is becoming a lot more stiff and forced compared to how he used to be, and obviously production tells him what to say.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
Phil has still been an awesome host and definitely my favorite of the big three. (Phil>>>>>>>Chenbot>>>>>>>J*ff Pr*bst).

Regarding the bold: Heh. What are the asterisks for?
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
Jeff is the best host out of those 3 by a mile lol

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »

Regarding the bold: Heh. What are the asterisks for?

It's a very dramatic way of hinting that you hate someone :lol:

Jeff is the best host out of those 3 by a mile lol

No lol? Jeff's apparent misogyny (come on, everytime a guy does well they air his comment saying X in the lead ready to win and then if a girl does well he goes "SHOCKER!!! WILL [INSERT MALE CONTESTANT FORMERLY IN LEAD] CATCH UP???") and blatant favoritism sucks.

But let's move on bc this is about TAR =P

To add something to the TAR conversation, I really dislike it when teams intentionally bicker with each other just to get airtime or try to be funny. Being natural is the way to go on the Race.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »
To add something to the TAR conversation, I really dislike it when teams intentionally bicker with each other just to get airtime or try to be funny. Being natural is the way to go on the Race.
Like... Tim & Marie? I HATED them in the beginning of their Race because of their """""Bickering"""""
Phil would be like "Tim & Marie FOUGHT!"
Marie in the most forced way: "I didn't know they made people as dumb as you!"

But... who are you talking about? :lol:

My pet peeve would have to be boring/linear final legs. STOP putting that one "extreme" task in every final leg.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:38 PM »
Like... Tim & Marie? I HATED them in the beginning of their Race because of their """""Bickering"""""
Phil would be like "Tim & Marie FOUGHT!"
Marie in the most forced way: "I didn't know they made people as dumb as you!"

But... who are you talking about? :lol:

My pet peeve would have to be boring/linear final legs. STOP putting that one "extreme" task in every final leg.

Yeah, I meant Tim & Marie at the start :lol:

I loved them but let's be real, a lot of it was forced.

Offline ghmorello

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
Seeing a landslide victory just like tonight.  Compare that with Bates and Anthony in the final leg of TAR22.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

[/quote]

Yeah I know! Sometimes they work like in S26 I thought the tasks were really cool! But look at Season 27's finale it was amazing! Was there an extreme task... No! (Unless you count the fireman roadblock)

Offline NancyandEmilyfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Biggest pet peeve?

The lack of various kinds of teams. The show always has young and good looking teams on it now. There are no out of shape teams , older couple , funny teams anymore. It's mainly a show that now casts only young and good looking persons. Gone are the days where there would be all sorts of teams from different walks of life.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »
I HATE seeing the Head-Shaving FF!!!

Overused!

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
When contestants complain about where they're going or that they don't want to do the show anymore because of one hard challenge - a lot of people dream to be on the show (me included) and it just annoys me when some contestants (namely mactors) don't realize how lucky they are to be a part of it.
Por ti volaré

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Case to case basis but I just dislike it when teams help other teams who are experiencing difficulties at challenges. This is a race for crying out loud. Wouldn't it be nice if there's a team that gets slowed down and eliminate them because of them having a hard time. You don't just help a team for the sake of helping not unless it is for your advantage.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »
Hmmm. If you are able to help a weaker team get ahead of a stronger team that could well be to your advantage. Who and when to help is a strategy...a valuable TAR tool.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:16 AM »
U-Turn before a Detour  :groan:

Truly the worst contribution of TAR27.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2017, 01:00:49 AM »

AND TAR29, TARAsia5

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »

AND TAR29, TARAsia5

Those seasons followed 27's lead though. I fully blame 27 for starting it :lol:

Offline NancyandEmilyfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
All these new twists(U-turn , Speed bump , salvage pass). I liked it better when there was just fast forward , roadblocks , and Detours.

The fast pace of the show in recent years is out of hand. Very little time to know the teams and are often left without knowing these people.

Having the starting line always in Southern California. California is a beautiful place , but couldn't you have a starting line elsewhere for a change?

The lack of interesting teams. Who ever casts these teams needs to be fired immediately. Every season , it's the same old schtick. Every team is around 30 years of age and is good looking. This is tiring after how many seasons of it. Time to bring back teams like a mother daughter team or old grandparent team. Enough with the younger good looking teams already.

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2017, 03:19:10 PM »
Having the starting line always in Southern California. California is a beautiful place , but couldn't you have a starting line elsewhere for a change?

The lack of interesting teams. Who ever casts these teams needs to be fired immediately. Every season , it's the same old schtick. Every team is around 30 years of age and is good looking. This is tiring after how many seasons of it. Time to bring back teams like a mother daughter team or old grandparent team. Enough with the younger good looking teams already.

1. I think it's better they have the start line in Southern California. Since they've made it clear that it will always start or finish in LA, I'd rather have it start in LA, because then we can use the entire final leg to see a new city.

2. Yes that they need more grandparent teams, but I wouldn't say there's been a lack of interesting teams. While there were no "grandparent teams", the casting for 29 was extremely diverse in personalities and characters, and so was 25. 28, while it was a gimmick season also did pretty well in diversifying the cast given the theme of the season. 27 and 26, I will agree mostly that they were very uninteresting. 24 was an All-Stars, but even though the choices for who to bring back were terrible, most of them were interesting and diverse. 23 only seemed to have a bad and uninteresting cast because all the interesting cast members, with the exception of one team (won't say who in case you or someone else hasn't seen it), got out early. 22 and 21 had great diverse casts. 20 was terrible. 19 was okay, but much better than 20. I would also say that this isn't a new thing, they've had terrible casted seasons since the beginning of the show. We can all agree that the casts for 4 and 6 were awful, and I'd even say that 1 had some of the most unmemorable teams. 13 was unmemorable, 14 was mean spirited, 15 had only like 2.5 teams worth rooting for, and 16 was meh. If anything, I'd say their casting is getting much better these days than it has been, they just need to throw in older teams again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:22:22 PM by nrh2110 »

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »

1. I think it's better they have the start line in Southern California. Since they've made it clear that it will always start or finish in LA, I'd rather have it start in LA, because then we can use the entire final leg to see a new city.

2. Yes that they need more grandparent teams, but I wouldn't say there's been a lack of interesting teams. While there were no "grandparent teams", the casting for 29 was extremely diverse in personalities and characters, and so was 25. 28, while it was a gimmick season also did pretty well in diversifying the cast given the theme of the season. 27 and 26, I will agree mostly that they were very uninteresting. 24 was an All-Stars, but even though the choices for who to bring back were terrible, most of them were interesting and diverse. 23 only seemed to have a bad and uninteresting cast because all the interesting cast members, with the exception of one team (won't say who in case you or someone else hasn't seen it), got out early. 22 and 21 had great diverse casts. 20 was terrible. 19 was okay, but much better than 20. I would also say that this isn't a new thing, they've had terrible casted seasons since the beginning of the show. We can all agree that the casts for 4 and 6 were awful, and I'd even say that 1 had some of the most unmemorable teams. 13 was unmemorable, 14 was mean spirited, 15 had only like 2.5 teams worth rooting for, and 16 was meh. If anything, I'd say their casting is getting much better these days than it has been, they just need to throw in older teams again.
23 and 27 were a little less diverse just for the fact there were a bit more teams than usual from sporting organizations (Chester & Ephraim from NFL, Nicky & Kim representing MLB, Ally & Ashley from NHL, Tim & Marie from LFL) and media (Kelsey & Joey, Kelly & Shevonne, Justin, Logan & Chris). I'd say the best casts are the ones whose true personalities shine on the race like in season 10 when we knew nearly every nuance of almost all twelve teams despite how long they were in the running. It isn't necessarily that older teams aren't in the race, it's that teams now don't really give a lot of amusing substance to work with during editing like teams then used to. Not to mention airport and ticket agency drama was a common tradition in past seasons to build up these characters which the final product barely shows nowadays.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)