Author Topic: TAR 26: Bergen Olson & Kurt Jordan Belcher "Blind Daters"  (Read 25767 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 26: Bergen Olson & Kurt Jordan Belcher "Blind Daters"
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Bergen Olson & Kurt Jordan Belcher

Name: Bergen Olson

Hometown: Sunnyvale, Calif.
Relationship Status: Single
Current occupation: Human Resources Project Manager
Describe what you do: I work for a tech start up in the Silicon Valley, leading the implementation of our company's Human Resources Information System.
3 words to describe you: Energetic, driven and empathetic.
Favorite hobbies: Watching and playing sports, especially volleyball. I love to cook and bake - my favorites include chocolate chip cookies, meatballs, pasta and mashed potatoes! So naturally, I love eating all of my favorites! I also love to travel, even though I haven't done much of it!
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Not to sound cliché, but coming out and being proud of who I truly am to my friends and family, especially in a conservative Minnesota county, was one of my proudest accomplishments. I’m also really proud of where I am at with my career at only age 23.
What scares you most about traveling? I think what scares me most about traveling is the language barrier, as well as getting lost and not knowing where I am is a little unsettling.
What excites you most about traveling? I can't wait to see different cultures and experience the different ways that people live all over the world! To me that will be truly unforgettable, as it will open my eyes to things I haven't experienced before!
How many serious relationships have you been in? It really depends how you consider "serious." I have been in 5 relationships, but none have gone longer than a year. Hopefully that will change soon!
What are your deal breakers in a relationship? I can't date anyone that smokes, does drugs, has poor personal hygiene or has a tendency to cheat and lie.
What are the top 3 qualities you are looking for in a mate? A good personality, has a good sense of humor and someone who makes me feel special and loved. I love nothing more than for my partner to make me laugh and smile each and every day!
What are 3 turn offs or pet peeves in a mate? Smoking/bad breath, poor personal hygiene and bad kisser.
Who is your celebrity crush? Can't just pick one, so... Channing Tatum, Tom Daley and Zac Efron. I may be gay, but Jennifer Aniston is on the list too!
What famous person reminds you of yourself? A mix between the following: Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah and Melissa McCarthy! Just wait till you meet me and the answer will explain itself!
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? This is such a hard question, but one that tops the list would be Bergen, Norway! Anywhere in Europe or Australia too!

Name: Kurt Jordan Belcher

Hometown: Butler, KY
Relationship Status: Single
Current occupation: Pageant consultant
Describe what you do: Anything from coaching, directing, judging, hair and managing production! I’ve done it in 8 states now from local, to state, to National Level Pageantry.
3 words to describe you: Gifted, abrasive (sometimes) and funny.
Favorite hobbies: Karaoke, volleyball and pageants.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Honestly, probably coming out as a gay man in high school. I’m from a very small town.
What scares you most about traveling? Flying! What excites you most about traveling? Being somewhere where you have never been before is very exciting. There is a lot of beauty and charm in the world & it's a basic human desire to explore it. Plus, Once your trip is over you get to go back to good ole' home sweet home.
How many serious relationships have you been in? I have actually never been in a relationship. While I am picky, I have not had the best of luck.
What are your deal breakers in a relationship? Controlling and lazy! I want somebody that’s loving and a hard worker.
What are the top 3 qualities you are looking for in a mate? Family oriented, funny and stability.
What are 3 turn offs or pet peeves in a mate? Personal hygiene - stay clean! Being lazy and not motivated. If they care about me, they better show it! Dedication!!
Who is your celebrity crush? Bradley Cooper- yes please!
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Carol Channing
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Rome - "The Eternal City." Not only is it beautiful and has a romantic atmosphere but it's the Capital of Italy & I LOVE Italian Food.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 26: Bergen Olson & Kurt Jordan Belcher "Blind Daters"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »
Meet BERGEN!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blgS2TLVYfw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blgS2TLVYfw</a>

Meet KURT!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2fEI2zUs1_g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2fEI2zUs1_g</a>
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:03:09 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »
hellomacklomore but anyoing

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »
Okay, I think they look really cute together. Serious. I think they're going to have the most chemistry of the lot (whether bickering or not) and they give me the vibes of the goat farmers <333

#IMayBeWrong

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
I don't know but I have a feeling that Kurt will be annoying but just my feeling.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
I don't know but I have a feeling that Kurt will be annoying but just my feeling.

I actually think it will be the exact opposite! :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
From NDSU student to reality TV: Bergen Olson reflects on blind dating, traveling the world in ‘Amazing Race’

By Ryan Johnson Today at 9:47 a.m.

The 2013 NDSU alumnus, now 24, grew up in Danvers, Minn., attending school in nearby Benson, Minn., and said he was a “huge fan” of reality television since childhood.

But he didn’t make the cut for “Big Brother,” and assumed the casting producer was just being nice when she told him to stay positive – he just might get a call back someday.

Last August, that call finally came, and after a quick casting process, Olson was selected to compete on the 26th season of CBS’ “The Amazing Race” that premieres Wednesday at 8:30 p.m.

Olson, who now works for a tech startup in Sunnyvale, Calif., headed overseas last November to film the race.

The premise of the show – teams of two race across the world for the chance to win $1 million – is extreme enough. But the new season has a twist: Five of the teams partnered two complete strangers in what the show bills as “the most extreme blind date ever,” while the other six teams were couples.

Olson met his race partner, Kurt Jordan Belcher, at the starting line. While he can’t discuss how he did in the race – or if there were any sparks with his teammate – he spoke with The Forum about his decision to compete and what he took away from it all.

What makes you a good fit for reality TV?

I’m really critical about myself, and so I actually asked other people to answer the question for me. Their consensus was just my overall personality.

I’m always trying to find the best in every situation, I try to stay positive and upbeat about everything and I’m always smiling, always trying to crack a joke. So I think it was just my carefree attitude and personality, and obviously my love for reality TV.

Part of this season was the blind date, and I’ve been single for about three years now so it was time for me to get back out there and try that. So what better way to do that than going on a reality TV show that I absolutely love and getting a chance at getting paired up in a good relationship?

Was it as intimidating of a blind date as it sounds?

You just never know who you’re going to get partnered with, and especially in a blind date situation, that’s a lot of pressure to be traveling around the world with someone you just literally met. So I knew it would be a challenge.

Even putting myself out there and sharing my sexuality with everyone, because I haven’t come out to some of my family members and friends.

But I was ready to take a step outside of my comfort zone, and that’s what I really took from this experience is just to take a step out and do something that I normally wouldn’t do.

But you had come out to some people?

In 2010 when I was a sophomore in college, I actually came out to my parents, my sister and my brother and most of my close friends who hadn’t already known. So I did come out to a good majority of people.

But this kind of solidified everything. Once you’re out there on a blind date with a guy on national television, that pretty much solidifies it.

One important person in my life is my only grandparent left, my grandpa, and he hadn’t known. I knew that would be a risk going forward, and I wanted to make sure that he was aware and believed in me and supported me.

We actually had a conversation with him, and he’s totally supportive of it. That wasn’t something I was expecting going into this; I was actually expecting the opposite where he wasn’t going to like it and he wasn’t going to accept who I am. It turned out vice versa, so I’m super happy I went forward with it.

What did you take from the race?

I had never traveled outside of the U.S. I’m only used to the U.S. culture and U.S. lifestyle, so I was really, really excited to be given the opportunity to go to these other countries and see the way that they live their lives.

It kind of brings you back home and think how grateful we are here in the U.S. for what we have. I think you take it for granted sometimes that we have running water or we can just hop in our car and drive to the store and get whatever.

And again, just to take that weight off my shoulders of who I am. I put myself out there, and now I don’t really have to worry.

I’m putting myself on national TV being gay, and I don’t have to worry now, “OK, who knows and who doesn’t know?” Now everyone knows, and I can just live my life, because life’s way too short to worry about that kind of stuff.

We’re in 2015 now. You shouldn’t have to worry about how you label yourself as straight, gay, bi, whatever.

http://www.inforum.com/variety/entertainment/3686039-ndsu-student-reality-tv-bergen-olson-reflects-blind-dating-traveling
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:16 AM »
Bergen crying about not finding love on the Race :lol: <3

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
An interesting tweet/response about Bergen and Kurt:

Kelly ‏@kelbottweets
Did the producers of amazing race think Bergen and Kurt would want to date clones of themselves?
5:52 PM - 6 Mar 2015

I can't copy it directly, but Bergen favorited it.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
Everybody thought that tbh. I think they tried to throw a spanner in the works with most of the blind daters

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
Kurt is annoying and he makes me hate the entire team. Pls go home next.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »
Bergen is a star <3

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Kurt loves someone like Tyler.
Bergen loves someone who is combination of Matt, Blair & Jeff.
:))

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 06:34:50 AM »
Uuuuggh FINALLY they are eliminated, I can't remember a team I HATED so much! Or, to be honest, I just hated Kurt and his attitude :gaah: There are no words to describe it, Bergen is just so unlucky :(

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
Bergen is a star who deserves another chance with a better partner. Honestly one of the most uncomfortable boots of all time. :(

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
Bergen should've tore him apart. The car was another excuse for Kurt. Worse version of Colton. Maybe they'd match :):):):) :res:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »
^ lol.
I'm also hoping that they just didn't show us how Bergen got mad or sth at Kurt and tore him apart for his attitude and wanting to give up on the race.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »

Well, so my feeling pre-race is actually right.

Hope that Bergen has another chance but racing with someone he already know, not blind-date.

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »
I never thought they stood a chance at winning, but that's one of the worst ways to go out.  Hopefully Bergen gets another chance.  To lose the way they did is just sad.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »

The stick shift is what got them out. Why didn't the other one drive if he was so desperate to  stay in the race?

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
Because Kurt probably refused or something. I'd have driven off without him

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
Bergen is a star but he was paired up with someone almost useless </3
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »

The stick shift is what got them out. Why didn't the other one drive if he was so desperate to  stay in the race?
Bergen was the one you call "desperate to stay" and he was the one trying to drive the car.
Or am I wrong?

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
You are right, it was Bergen driving. I am surprised he gave in and took the taxi, I guess they were getting tired (of each other mostly).

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
FROM CBS.COM:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/elimination_interviews/1004016/bergen-and-kurt-couldn-t-get-out-of-first-so-they-ended-in-last-what-drove-the-fourth-eliminated-toward-their-dead-end/

Bergen and Kurt Couldn't Get Out of First, So They Ended in Last
What drove the fourth eliminated toward their dead end

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 08:55am

1. Karttie W: Did you guy realize why they gave cars for that leg? And why did you give up when you were doing well for beginners?
Kurt:
There was nothing about being in that car that felt safe. People flying by us and beeping their horns at us, my heart was pounding. I don't look at it as giving up. We both agreed to take another route. I never made Bergen stop driving. It came down to a safety issue and that's what we chose. Bergen told me on the start line that he used to drive a stick on his dad's farm when he was a little boy. A stick shift was gonna come at some point and we were gonna be the comedy of it.
Bergen: Absolutely, I've been a fan of the show ever since Season 1 when I was 10 years old. I knew that a self-driving leg would be coming up soon, especially if we were headed to Europe. I also knew that as soon as we gave up the car, we were going to be eliminated. When you are given a car as part of the leg, 9 times out of 10, you need it for the remainder of the leg, which proved to be the case. As for "giving up", I wanted to respect my partner who didn't feel safe with my driving. This is the one decision I wish I would have pushed him harder on, but when you are in the moment, things are happening so fast and my emotions were a mess!

2. VJ Cole S: You knew you were going to be on the Race, why didn't you learn to drive a stick shift?
Kurt:
I did try to learn, I actually damaged the car I tried practicing with. It was just something I wasn't picking up. One of my biggest fears is a car wreck. After watching one of my best friends almost die from an unfortunate car accident, I'm pretty sure I'm scarred for life. I never feel safe when I'm in a car with somebody else driving.
Bergen: The infamous question... from the time I got the call to starting the race, it was a very short time frame for me! Whereas some teams found out months before the race that they were going to be on, I found out right before the race! I had driven stick shift before so I was confident that I could pick it back up, but knew that I was going to be rough at it. I agree with you all, I should have practiced a lot more, but as you could see, I was making great progress (I drove ~2 miles before we stopped). What was the most difficult for me was trying to navigate us as well as drive us to the Winter Wonderland. I couldn't do both at the same time. I needed help!

3. Tracy R: Were you disappointed or secretly relieved that Phil walked into the train station to put you out of your misery?
Kurt:
Misery? There was no misery in my opinion. I have seen a lot of unfortunate bad things that have happened to people in life. I am healthy, I have a great family, and a lot to be thankful for. So I am not gonna cry over spilled milk. I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when Phil walked in to the train station, but I wasn't surprised either.
Bergen: I think my face told the story – I was EXTREMELY disappointed and very embarrassed that Phil had to come to us, rather than allow us to finish the leg and get eliminated on the mat.

4. Carolyn C: If invited to an All Stars edition, would you race again?
Kurt:
I would compete on an All Star Season if invited back. Why wouldn't you? The most important things I walked away with from the whole experience was seeing new cultures and the new friends I made.
Bergen: Absolutely! I would love nothing more than to race again, whether it be on another blind date (with someone that I'm actually compatible with) or with someone I know! I feel I have something to prove and a redemption race would allow me to show Amazing Race fans that I am a competitor and promise I will prove that I have what it takes to win!

5. Marie C. A: What’s the thing you’ve learned that you value most from this trip?
Kurt:
I wouldn't say I only learned one thing that I value the most. If you're not learning, you are not living. I learned to not let anybody put me down. I learned that you can still be friends with the other racers & still have healthy competition. I learned that I can do anything, because I did TAR.
Bergen: I could write a book with responses to this question, but to sum it up: patience, determination, respect, and appreciation. Patience – you have to have it on the race or you will drive yourself crazy! Things will not always go your way! Determination – you have to have the competitiveness to go far in this race! Respect – every culture is unique and you have to respect their ways of life. Appreciation – sometimes we take life and what we have for granted. This experience opened up my eyes to what is going on around the world in different cultures. I am truly blessed to have experienced what I did!

6. Teonia N: Besides the leg you were eliminated, what was the most difficult leg of the race? And why?
Kurt:
The most difficult leg in my opinion was leg one. The Mud Run was brutal. Following that, a 14 hour flight to Tokyo (which you were still practically dirty from the mud), and then immediately continuing the race after the flight. Then once you got off the mat that night, you slept in a cubby on a couch that I didn't even fit on because I was too tall. And you did all of this with somebody you have never even met before.
Bergen: I would say the 1st leg was the most difficult (besides leg 5), because you are trying to adjust to the start of the race. We went through a gnarly mud obstacle course, then flew to Tokyo, had to navigate in Tokyo, which was extremely difficult, and complete the dance.

7. Suzanne G: Which team was your favorite?
Kurt:
I couldn't pick a favorite team even if I tried. There was a lot of good people from Season 26, and I had the pleasure to meet them all.
Bergen: I honestly can't answer this question. Each and every team is unique in their own ways and I truly enjoy each one of them! I am beyond lucky to call the 20 other racers some of my best friends, and know that when I travel to New York, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, SoCal, Arizona, Las Vegas, Kentucky, etc, I will be able to see these amazing people!!

8. Morgan F: Do you think if the two of you would have met in an environment different from the race, that you would have felt differently towards each other?
Kurt:
After going through the interview process for the show, and being asked several times what I looked for in a partner and what I didn't want... it made no sense to why they put us together. We both kind of asked for the same guy and they gave us the complete opposite. However, after we got eliminated, we were informed that the idea was to put us together as since we were so much alike, we would fight. Bergen Olson is a wonderful man who deserves somebody who is gonna treat him right. Apart from the race, we still wouldn't be each other's cup of tea. But, it was the hand they dealt us, so we played.
Bergen: Unfortunately, I don't. You know that feeling you get when you meet someone you like for the first time, it just didn't happen. We are not meant for each other, so I don't think meeting outside of the race would have been any different. Kurt is a great person and he will find his special someone someday, I know it! As for me, I will too! I'm currently single - so holler at your boy! :) Instagram - bolson2224 Twitter - @bergenolson Facebook - Bergen Olson
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez