Author Topic: TAR 29: Ashton Theiss  (Read 7992 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 29: Ashton Theiss
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:35:33 AM »
Biography

Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas
Current occupation: Real Estate Agent 

Describe what you do: During my time in the industry, I have worked with a wide variety of transactions. My passion is connecting with and helping people achieve their personal goals in real estate. I work with clients on everything from high-rise urban living, to ranchettes in the country, and small, quaint historic cottages to elegant luxury estates. In addition to residential real estate, I do my fair share of farm and ranch transactions. My largest listing is a $8.75m farm right now. In March 2017, I was voted as one of the top real estate agents by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine.   

3 words to describe you: Ambitious, hardworking and adventurous.   

Favorite hobbies: Boxing, cycling, hunting and traveling.   

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I was the first person in my family to attend a university. I graduated cum laude from Texas Christian University with a double degree.   

What scares you most about traveling? Getting lost.   

What excites you most about traveling? Discovering new places and experiencing new cultures. There is so much to be gained from traveling. It truly does make you a richer person.   

What qualities do you hope your partner has? I hope my partner is someone with a go-getter, "we can do anything" mentality. Being confident and positive while keeping your eye on the goal of winning is absolutely necessary to take this thing all the way to the finish line. Hopefully my partner is someone that has a combination of mental and physical strength and will truly be my equal in this race.   

What qualities will be hard for you to put up with in a partner? I will have an extremely hard time with a partner that is negative, rude or lacks common sense. This race requires street smarts, being able think on your feet, and being a chameleon of sorts depending on the challenge at hand. Someone who is rigid will have a difficult time working through the ups and downs on the race. Also, I am hopeful I have a partner who is as strong or stronger than I am. I feel that I trained adequately for the race, but some extra muscle definitely wouldn't hurt.   

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? Being able to work together and set aside differences will likely be the biggest challenge. Not knowing who I will be with circling the globe is terrifying. But, I feel that I can work with just about any personality type.   

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would LOVE to visit Italy. It's been on the top of my travel wish list for a long time. Thailand or Brazil are close runners-up.   

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? There are so many things to be gained by running The Amazing Race. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the world in an extremely unique way. I cannot wait to check more places off of my travel list. I think The Race will push me to my limits mentally and physically, so I am excited to see exactly what I am capable of. 

Follow on Twitter and Instagram: @ashtontheiss
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:56:53 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 29: Ashton Theiss
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:35:48 AM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »
Meet Ashton Theiss From The Amazing Race Season 29

Watch 24-year-old realtor Ashton Theiss talk about her dirty and gritty background, what her hobbies are, and what possible opportunity she's hoping might come out of competing on The Amazing Race.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M8a-wV5zD6I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M8a-wV5zD6I</a>

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:57:11 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Here's another article about Ashton with a few more details.

http://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/tv/article141047038.html

Fort Worth’s Ashton Theiss starts off ‘The Amazing Race’ solo, but not for long

BY DAVID MARTINDALE
Special to the Star-Telegram

Ashton Theiss says she’s good at keeping secrets.

But who knew so many people would test her resolve?

Theiss, a 25-year-old Fort Worth real estate agent, is a participant this season in “The Amazing Race,” the long-running reality/competition show on CBS.

She was instructed not to reveal any details about her adventures in advance. It was easy to keep a lid on spoilers at first, because no one knew she had secrets to spill.

Then the network unveiled its list of 22 racers and suddenly her cover was blown.

“It has definitely been a whirlwind since it was announced,” Theiss says. “I don’t think I was prepared for all of the attention. I have been asked more times than I can possibly count, ‘What countries did you go to?’ ‘Who were you paired with?’ ‘Did you win?’

“I keep telling everyone, ‘You’re just going to have to tune in and see.’ So far, I’ve been really good about keeping everything under wraps, but I’ve certainly been grilled.”

Theiss will soon be able to breathe a little easier. The first big secret — the identity of her race partner — will be revealed during the season premiere at 9 p.m. Thursday.

For the first time in the show’s 29-season history, the competitors are all strangers leading up to the race, which spans nine countries, 17 cities and 36,000 miles.

Before host Phil Keoghan gives the “Go” command, the racers must compete in a challenge that determines the order for picking a teammate. The new partners then have mere minutes to cover the basics (“What’s your name?” “Where are you from?”) before the journey begins.

The winning duo will split a $1 million prize.

Theiss — a TCU grad (Class of 2014) who lives in west Fort Worth — is a longtime “Amazing Race” fan who loves to travel (although she hasn’t seen as much of the globe as she’d like).

“For me, this was an incredible opportunity to see the world in a unique way,” she says. “I’ve traveled some. I’ve been to South America and the Caribbean quite a bit. But I’ve been to Europe only once for a study-abroad experience in college.

“I wanted to add stamps to my passport and to check more places off my bucket list, which I was able to do. And on top of that, getting the chance to win half a million dollars? For me, it was a no-brainer.”

Theiss grew up in Tomball, about 30 miles northwest of Houston, and moved to Fort Worth in 2010 to study strategic communication and sociology at TCU.

“It was the only university I applied to,” she says. “I was like, ‘If I don’t get in, I don’t know what I’ll do.’ But I did get in with an academic scholarship. I did my four years, walked away with a double degree and then stayed in Fort Worth because I grew to love the city once I got to know it.”

Theiss originally applied to complete on “The Amazing Race” with her friend, unaware that those chosen this season would be asked to go it alone.

“That was definitely a plot twist for us,” she says. “But when they asked if I would be interested in doing this on my own, I said, ‘Absolutely. I don’t care how I have to do this. I just want the opportunity.’

“It was scary but exciting at the same time. I knew there would be certain personality types that I might not mesh well with. But I went in knowing I could play the cards I was dealt with.

“I’m a strong alpha female. I have a big personality. I can make the best of the situation.”

By the way, that friend who applied with Theiss, the one who didn’t get to tag along, didn’t hold a grudge. “She’s been very supportive and super excited about everything. It worked out OK for us.”

Theiss can’t drop even the vaguest of hints about any of the map dots she visited in the show. (In fact, a network publicist listened in during the phone interview, ready to intercede if anything too specific was discussed.) But Theiss can disclose her post-“Amazing Race” travel plans.

“I’ll actually be going to Peru in May for a charity trip,” she says. “I didn’t want to wait any longer than I had to before getting back out there and continuing my world trips. I am so hooked now.”

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
Very interesting to hear that she was recruited (in a way) by Josh of Tanner & Josh.

Although it is very unfortunate that they could have survived had they not gotten lost looking for the cluebox :(

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
A lot of interesting things told from this interview.

Ashton Theiss: I would say that the actual Detours took less than 30 minutes each. Finding the clue box and getting to each point was what was so time consuming. 

I did notice that teams had to do a lot of walking going to each detour side. Maybe that's what made it "equal" from the racers' perspective. ??? Meanwhile...

Ashton Theiss: We were told that we were only about 15 minutes behind LoLo. Had we done the Detours in reverse order, we probably could have beat them to [The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan].

Could this mean that the 1st detour might've been closer to the pit stop? It could also be something else. ???

Ashton Theiss: I think it was a decision made on social and emotional perspectives, not strategy. Yes, Vanck and I were doing well consistently, but we fought like cats and dogs. Why not U-Turn a strong team that had a strong bond? Tara and Joey and Matt and Red would have been the better move strategically. Vanck and I posed less of a threat because we had a hard time getting along.

Gotta agree on this. If this was all Brooke's plan, she's pulling out an awfully pathetic move, like how Caroline & Jennifer told almost every team to target Joey & Meghan and Mona & Beth to save themselves. :groan: This is what I'm seeing so far with Brooke. Hope she doesn't plan all this madness again on another team on the next W-turn.

Ashton Theiss: My #1 regret during the Race was not putting my compass on my fanny pack. I'd left it attached to my pack, which I clearly didn't have at the start line. Then I followed [Jessica "Jessie" Shields] and [Francesca Piccoli] that couldn't read their compasses and that's ultimately why I came in so late.

If I'd had my own compass or followed someone else, I would have been more likely to pick a partner.

This explains something we barely saw in the SLT. I had to check with maf's racing report to see that Ashton finished 2nd to the last in the SLT.

Very interesting to hear that she was recruited (in a way) by Josh of Tanner & Josh.

Although it is very unfortunate that they could have survived had they not gotten lost looking for the cluebox :(

Interesting to know indeed.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:26:51 AM »
I think it is because of the fact boat travel is included in part of the rock climb detour while not for the molding one

So Vanck and Ashton basically travelled in this way
U-turn > Boat > Rock climb detour > boat > molding > boat > pit-stop

Whereas have they reversed the detour order, they can be like
U-turn > Molding > Boat > Rock climb > boat (shorter distance ) > pit-stop

Which would be saving much more time

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 11:43:42 PM »
Getting U-Turned for one of the dumbest reasons I've seen on TAR.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
Agreed. Feels like there's something we didn't see. This started because Matt & Redmond wouldn't wait around to flip a coin?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 02:19:04 AM »
Her exit interview says they were already okay with Matt & Red by that point.

Offline tDawg

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 12:54:39 AM »
Biography

Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas
Current occupation: Real Estate Agent 

Describe what you do: During my time in the industry, I have worked with a wide variety of transactions. My passion is connecting with and helping people achieve their personal goals in real estate. I work with clients on everything from high-rise urban living, to ranchettes in the country, and small, quaint historic cottages to elegant luxury estates. In addition to residential real estate, I do my fair share of farm and ranch transactions. My largest listing is a $8.75m farm right now. In March 2017, I was voted as one of the top real estate agents by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine.   

3 words to describe you: Ambitious, hardworking and adventurous.   

Favorite hobbies: Boxing, cycling, hunting and traveling.   

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I was the first person in my family to attend a university. I graduated cum laude from Texas Christian University with a double degree.   

What scares you most about traveling? Getting lost.   

What excites you most about traveling? Discovering new places and experiencing new cultures. There is so much to be gained from traveling. It truly does make you a richer person.   

What qualities do you hope your partner has? I hope my partner is someone with a go-getter, "we can do anything" mentality. Being confident and positive while keeping your eye on the goal of winning is absolutely necessary to take this thing all the way to the finish line. Hopefully my partner is someone that has a combination of mental and physical strength and will truly be my equal in this race.   

What qualities will be hard for you to put up with in a partner? I will have an extremely hard time with a partner that is negative, rude or lacks common sense. This race requires street smarts, being able think on your feet, and being a chameleon of sorts depending on the challenge at hand. Someone who is rigid will have a difficult time working through the ups and downs on the race. Also, I am hopeful I have a partner who is as strong or stronger than I am. I feel that I trained adequately for the race, but some extra muscle definitely wouldn't hurt.   

What do you think will be the biggest challenge you and your teammate face? Being able to work together and set aside differences will likely be the biggest challenge. Not knowing who I will be with circling the globe is terrifying. But, I feel that I can work with just about any personality type.   

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would LOVE to visit Italy. It's been on the top of my travel wish list for a long time. Thailand or Brazil are close runners-up.   

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? There are so many things to be gained by running The Amazing Race. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the world in an extremely unique way. I cannot wait to check more places off of my travel list. I think The Race will push me to my limits mentally and physically, so I am excited to see exactly what I am capable of. 

Follow on Twitter and Instagram: @ashtontheiss

"I will have an extremely hard time with a partner that is negative, rude or lacks common sense."

I'm not being rude or trying to start anything but who thinks she could have been less negative towards Vanck?