Author Topic: TAR25 twists: What worked, and what should go?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
TAR25 twists: What worked, and what should go?
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
TAR25 has arguably the largest amount of changes and twists from previous seasons. Which ones would you like to come back, and which ones to you hope to never return?

*Public Starting Line
*Hashtag Team Names
*Live with Phil!
*The Save
*Only 10 Roadblocks
*Hidden Express Pass
*Blind Detours
*Final Four and Final Leg Elimination
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
Re: TAR25 twists: What worked, and what should go?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
Please do it again:
*Public Starting Line
*Final Four and Final Leg Elimination (Don't do it every season though.)
*The Save (we never got to see it in play.)
*Blind Detours
*Live with Phil!

Don't really care:
*Hidden Express Pass

NEVER do this again!
*Only 10 Roadblocks (We need more roadblocks...)
*Hashtag Team Names (Although it's probably going to happen again anyway...)
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »
Do it again!
Public Starting Line
Phil's Stand-up
Hidden Express Pass
Blind Detours
Final 4 KOR w/ finale elimination (but make it a rare appearance)

Apathetic
Hashtag Team Names

Stop. Just stop.
The Save
10 Roadblocks
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline LFelix

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
Do it again:
*Public Starting Line
*Live with Phil!
*Blind Detours
*Final Four and Final Leg Elimination (But try to do some real task before you eliminate the 4th place team)

Don't care:
*Hidden Express Pass
*Hashtag Team Names

NEVER DO THIS AGAIN:
*The Save
*Only 10 Roadblocks

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Do it again :

*Live with Phil!

Don't care :

*Public Starting Line
*Final Four and Final Leg Elimination
*The Save

NEVER DO THIS AGAIN :

*Hashtag Team Names
*Only 10 Roadblocks
*Hidden Express Pass
*Blind Detours

The hashtag team names are really, REALLY ridiculous.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
Do It Again!

*Live with Phil!: But fix the cinematography (or something), since the only one that looked good on TV for me was the first one in the US Virgin Islands.
*Hidden Express Pass: This was a great twist! The Double EP was getting old (and since Jet & Cord figured out the correct strategy, it's time to give 2EPs a rest). You could do it twice (Legs 1 & 3?), but surprise the teams so they couldn't strategize around it. (Like Leg 1 EP is used to speed to the Leg 3 EP).
*Blind Detours: Adds new flavor to the old task, what's not to like? The trick here is to not place the two sites too far apart.

Their Choice
*Public Starting Line: Doing it for the 25th season was nice, but I don't know for the next few seasons...
*Final Four and Final Leg Elimination: A nice twist, considering the last 3 legs of a given Race are immediately planned out based on the outcome of Leg 9. The other way they could do it is to make Leg 10 a KOR, and Leg 11 a double-elimination leg, w/ warning to the teams at the start of Leg 11.
*The Save: This is honestly a good pseudo-replacement to the EP. The problem that happened is that a very strong team received the Save. My ire for this is that the rules isn't clear cut for the audience. They could also make the usage of it more volatile (unlike giving it back to the team on a non-elimination leg).

Please No, Just... No.
*Hashtag Team Names: I thought it was eyeroll worthy when the season started, and that opinion never changed. The only good thing about it that happened in this season is that the final 6 had relatively good or tame ones. But considering the dating couple twist next season, probably hashtags are here to stay *eyeroll*
*Only 10 Roadblocks: Look producers, old Dave isn't going to be on the show anytime soon, you could revert this now.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the Hashtag team names got everyone talking about Scientists, Wrestlers, Dentists and Surfers easily? It generated discussion easily and facilitated recognition of teams without trouble. :cmaslol

Hated it at first, but just thought they needed to get more proper team names.. The Dating Couple and College Sweethearts are just gross.

Tim and Te Jay could easily be Team California (not the best name i know)... (but I think they want to make the fact that the two of them are dating and gay... i know).. but College Sweethearts hashtag for a gay couple just sounds... inappropriate.

And Shelley and Nici could easily be #FlightAttendants, Keith and Whitney's Team Nashville is fine.. but really don't make an impression. I think #MarriedSurvivors or something along that line (i know cheesy) could have made a deeper impression for them.

The hashtags can stay but PLEASE let it be good like #SweetScientists, #TheDentists, #TheWrestlers, #Soulsurfers and #TheCyclists. I think they got lucky that those with good hashtags did make the final 5.. although #MiamiRealtors and #TheFirefighters are equally memorable too.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:46:51 PM by Jobby »

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
Public Starting Line: It should stay, :cmaslol but not all the time. Maybe it should be on every season number ending with a 0 or a 5. :cmaslol

Hashtag Team Names: It should stay in my opinion. It's not really that bad. Teams can be very creative with what they should be called, but sometimes there are uncreative team names. #TheDatingCouple is boring for me, and so is #MomDaughter. Creative ones include #SweetScientists, #MiamiRealtors, and more. If ever the cyclists come back for all-stars (and if this hashtag thingy will go on), I want them to be called #FunCyclists. :cmaslol :hrt:

Phil on the race course: This should stay. :xmas146 It's interactive enough, and coll imo. :cmaslol

The Save: This... should only come back once in 25 seasons. :cmaslol The twist is really nice, but it wasn't used. This twist should only exist once in a while. I don't wanna see this every season.

10 roadblocks: It's not enough, this should only happen this season, or once in a while (but not too often). Losing a lot of roadblocks ain't that fun. I don't want to see this one returning as much as possible.

Hidden EP: I just love this. :cmas9 This should stay. :cmaslol It'd be better to see 2 teams running for it. The suspense would then be made better.

Blind detours: This is just cool. :cmas23 If I were in the race, I'd have a difficult time choosing as well. This twist adds up to difficulty.

Final 4 and Finale Elimination: It's part of my wishlist ever since I entered RFF. :xmas146 This one should come back, but not in every season as it would make this very predictable.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
Here's my own thoughts

Keep:
Live With Phil: He's so dorky :P
Hidden Express Pass: This reminds me of a few lesser-known reality shows I've seen where bonuses such as this are hidden along the way and have risk associated with trying to find them. Just make them more difficult to find than the one in England.
Blind Detours: But only a couple per season

Indifferent:
Public Starting Line: Though it would be neat to see a starting line task that actually involved the people in the crowd.
Hashtag Names: They're stupid, but get with the times I guess.

NEVER AGAIN:
The Save: This was dumb. It's a tool that's way too powerful. If a team you don't like gets it, then you just end up disliking them even more and feeling like they got off unfairly. If a team you like gets it, then you don't feel like they earned it enough. It's the same reason I hated the Revival Pass in TAR China. Elimination is final.
10 Roadblocks: BETHANY CAN HANDLE HERSELF FINE, TYVM
Final Four & Elimination: I didn't like this at all. The biggest problem was that Amy & Maya did not get a penalty of any kind. Brooke & Robbie received a penalty literally one leg ago, but Amy & Maya got off scot-free. I think letting Amy & Maya into the final leg with a Speed Bump to overcome would be a little more interesting for viewers, because otherwise it's more like a "we like you so here's a free pass". The other issue is that if you're going to pull a twist and have four teams in the final leg, MAKE IT TWO HOURS LONG. All of the time dedicated to Amy & Maya's save and Brooke & Robbie's elimination made the episode WAY too tight. The final Roadblock was like ZIP it's gone!

Extra Thought: The Express Pass and The Save both suffer from the same fundamental flaw. If they're won by a team who never ends up needing it, then it becomes a boring time-waster. (See Misti & Jim, Jet & Cord, Natalie & Nadiya).

So how about this? If you can manage to hold on to your Express Pass (or Save) until it expires, then you can hand it over to receive a Big prize of some kind. If you like the Double Your Money twist, make it so that you have a chance to win $2 million only if you hold onto your Express Pass until it expires.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
:love2: Keepers: :love2:
Public Starting Line - I enjoyed the lively environment in the city that never sleeps, but what would have made the premiere even more enticing is adding the TAR15 Los Angeles River soundtrack ensemble to TAR25's Time Square premiere. I just dislike seeing this type of starting line every season.

Blind Detours - This season proved that the Blind Detour twist could work in Malta between a very simple-looking, extremely tough task and a task requiring patience and cleaning "abilities". I would love to see this in play again.

Hidden Express Pass - In my opinion, I can't stand the Express Passes, I'm an Express Pass hater... However, I do like this new twist to EARN the EP. Add an extra enigmatic task at the branch end of this pathway and I'm all for it. I'd love to see some team v. team competition for the card that basically promotes "giving up" or "refusal to do a task" on the race. :lol3:

:meh Indifferences: :meh
Live with Phil!- I'm still pretty unsure with this add-in.

Final 4 in Final Leg + Elimination - Decent twist for one season, I don't want it in any other seasons. The elimination literally jumped out of the blue. Editing once again is faltering.

Simply and Utterly ;no:
The Save - The team who ends up winning the first Leg doesn't really end up needing this card at all. The non-elimination Leg in Denmark showed how powerful this card was... way too much for even an ego as big as Jim.

Hashtag "Relationships" - Just put a simple Amazing Race discussion tag during the previous episode recap and that's it. Don't go # overload like a gossipy teenage girl who is obsessed with the Kardashians' lives and Orange is the New Black.

10 Roadblocks per Race - MORE Roadblocks please, and please feature it every Leg. Don't cater specifically for those who do just fine with what they have.

<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 02:05:43 AM »
And what, if may I ask, is the problem with being a fan of Orange is the New Black? :res:

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
I really loved most of the additions. Public start line was awesome (but keep it for special editions, ie milestone editions and if they ever do it again, returnee editions), Blind detours were fun (This or that :cmaslol :xmas146) & live with Phil was also fun. Hashtags should have been better but it made talking about the teams easier by giving them labels. F4 finale should have been 2 hours but a concept that should be used again (but rarely, they might of used it again in 26 but hopefully they don't do it again until least 30).

The only thing i don't like is the save. It became too powerful and it should be more like a HII from Survivor

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
And what, if may I ask, is the problem with being a fan of Orange is the New Black? :res:
I don't have a problem with the show. I happen to be a fan of Orange is the New Black too, but I'm putting an imagery on a teenage girl obsessed with trending topics. :lol:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline wishicouldrun

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
My thought about Live with Phil was that it was a tool to get him seen more- more Emmy material. However, I am all for this! I realize the racers are racing, but would like to see him actually talk with the racers as they go by- or as they do the task. Wonder if he was there for all the teams, and not just the first couple?
Loved the public starting line-agree with not every race
Love blind detours but agree they need to be close to each other
Surprised by the final 4- feel this is the same as other KORs- if prior KORs racers did not get a speed bump then that's the norm. I realize that the season 25-26 racers are the only ones who would be surprised by this- any further racers would have seen these seasons so knowing a final 4 is a possibility should eliminate any anger. Felt that Brooke's anger was justified because of this -- funny all of the final 4 teams were saved by a non-elimination leg, which in essence makes all teams equal- saved at some point by a predetermined non-elimination. It's the other 7 teams who should be angry!

Offline tarwe

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
Good things:

*Public Starting Line
*Live with Phil!
*The Save
*Hidden Express Pass
*Blind Detours
*Final Leg Elimination

Bad things:

*Hashtag Team Names
*Only 10 Roadblocks
*Final Four

Guys please help me out: Okey it was a final leg, but there was also a non-elimination leg in Taiwan, so why they didn't have to complete a speed bumb in the final leg (the scientists, of course)?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
It wasn't a NEL per se. Instead, it was a new twist to send 4 to the finals.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
Taiwan...?

The reasoning is because Leg 11 is a No-Rest Leg, which have not carried any penalty whatsoever since their introduction in Season 18.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »
Felt that Brooke's anger was justified because of this -- funny all of the final 4 teams were saved by a non-elimination leg, which in essence makes all teams equal- saved at some point by a predetermined non-elimination. It's the other 7 teams who should be angry!

Actually, Adam & Bethany weren't saved by a non-elimination. Curiosly though, they placed second to last on Legs 4, 7, and 10, all of which are non-eliminations :) They then placed second on the NR leg, and 'last' on the finale.

Out of all the other teams, I think Kym & Alli lost the most. If they didn't go for the Fast Forward, they would presumably be running in the top 3 until (a) Adam & Bethany gets the FF, and (b) they get U-turned. Still, they could U-Turn the Dentists (who would have closed the gap with the lobster Detour, but still behind). And then the Save would take effect, and then the possibilities! I wish we know the full rules of the Save, looking as it wouldn't appear ever again.

I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline tarwe

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 01:29:37 AM »
Taiwan...?

The reasoning is because Leg 11 is a No-Rest Leg, which have not carried any penalty whatsoever since their introduction in Season 18.
PHILippines :-)
thanks BTW i wont remember to this rule.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
I am honestly quite fine with all the changes for TAR25, including the Save and 10 roadblocks (which doesn't really qualify as a twist?).