Author Topic: The tribe has spoken -- now scram  (Read 5575 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The tribe has spoken -- now scram
« on: August 09, 2004, 05:43:03 PM »
The tribe has spoken -- now scram

August 9, 2004

BY PHIL ROSENTHAL TELEVISION CRITIC Advertisement

Whatever happened to the good old days, when a schmo who lost on a game show was sent off with the home version and a gift certificate from the Spiegel catalog, never to be heard from again?

These days, people who lose on reality shows such as "The Apprentice," "The Bachelor," "Survivor" and "Big Brother" end up at the front of the line for some other TV gig. Witness Ereka Ventrini -- think hard, she was an also-ran on "The Apprentice" -- who has been named the sidekick on Tony Danza's syndicated talk show this fall. Or Chicago's Jennifer Schefft -- who failed to find true romance on TV through "The Bachelor" and then off it with "Bachelor" reject and "Apprentice" winner Bill Rancic -- who will look for love in all the wrong places again on next season's "The Bachelorette."

Elsewhere, Rudy Boesch, the cantankerous former Navy SEAL from the first "Survivor," "Survivor: All-Stars" and "Combat Missions," has been approached by the producers of "The Amazing Race" to compete on a team with one-time "Survivor" champ Richard Hatch.

And that's just what we've learned in the last week.

As if it weren't bad enough that promising concepts in reality TV are being cloned even before viewers have passed judgment on the original idea, now we must deal with the fact that the rejectee on "Next Action Star" gets to be the rejector on "Average Joe"; the singer deemed too lousy for "Pop Stars" ends up on "American Idol"; the obnoxious housemate on "Big Brother" materializes on "The Amazing Race."

How many times do we have to see an NBC promo with Chicago flight attendant Rachel Veltri making a fool of herself for various versions of "For Love or Money"?

Wasn't part of the initial allure of reality TV that it showcased people who weren't professional performers, but ordinary folks with fresh faces we hadn't seen over and over again? Now TV seems bent on making these reality-show competitors into stars, and we're seeing them over and over again.

As viewers, we thought we had an understanding: These people would get brief TV exposure, entertain us for a bit as producers made them eat bugs or pretend to fall in love or whatever. Then they would be discreetly returned to their lives, and we would get a new crop of camera-ready marks to dance like monkeys on a string for us.

But no. Increasingly, these contestants refuse to be pried from the spotlight or, more troublingly, are encouraged to bask in it a little longer.

You've got to respect the ones who resist the urge for an encore. Far more of them, however, seem to be deluded into thinking they should not only be on TV, but also owe it to us to stick around.

So now we have to suffer through more exposure to people we could barely tolerate the first time through (a gimmick practically built into the formats of shows such as "Average Joe," "For Love or Money" and "The Bachelor"/"Bachelorette"). But people with dreams of someday being the next Jillian Barberie (who didn't win her TV job in a contest, but has always seemed like it) are now encouraged to work the reality-show circuit as part of their "career plan."

For every Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the "Survivor" alum now ably holding down the "young, perky and gone in a few years" slot on ABC's "The View," there are dozens more like Jerri Manthey, the annoying actress who keeps saying how terrible it is to be on reality TV, yet can't seem to get a TV job that doesn't involve being a "Survivor" alum. Most recently, she appeared on the second-division cable network GSN, which has become a veritable retirement home for reality losers.

The only good thing about Ventrini landing a gig on "The Tony Danza Show" is it's likely to tick off her combustible archnemesis, Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, who herself is hoping to land another TV job.

"Apprentice" winner Rancic, meanwhile, is set to make some guest appearances on the series' second NBC season this fall, as if we needed to see him again after his "Bachelor" tryout tape (the one in which he talked about his love of "hot girls ... who can be, you know, dirty") made the rounds.

The bottom line: We shouldn't have to hear about "The Bachelorette" couple of Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter until their first child or first trial separation. "Bachelor" Bob should have done his dance and shuffled offstage gracefully, rather than string along a new set of hopeless romantics so he could get invited to network parties and find a soap opera actress he might really want to marry. Schefft may or may not be in love with any of these clowns Mike Fleiss (cousin of Heidi) is lining up for her, but she apparently is in love with being on TV.

But maybe it's too much to ask these reality TV participants to go back to their lives when their reality TV shows are over. But that presumes they have lives to which to return. A lot of them probably don't.

Article copied from~
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-phil09.html

Article found at ~ :)_{}
http://www.realitytvfever.com/index.html

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The tribe has spoken -- now scram
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 08:41:02 PM »
Rudy and Rich on a team together?  That might be fun to watch, lol...

t

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 10:07:45 PM »
YES!! And it fits in with the AR -All Stars rumors  **:)**  **:)**  **:)** This would be amazing  *()*

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 10:57:11 PM »
AR all stars might actually be pretty good.  Mostly if they pick them from all sorts of places.  But i would prefer reality show people not actors and actresses, i dont want it to be cushy...

Offline Cole

• 'RFF Hottie' - This is my life
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Sunshine
    • It's you. Not me.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 11:01:30 PM »
they should mix up the teams from previous seasons...take former enemies and put one half on a team. Those combinations would be HI-larious.

Flo and ???
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" RFF official web board antagonist naked flamin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' stalker \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Google Talk - nikeos@gmail.com

[IM

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 11:07:32 PM »
Ewwww no Flo please.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 11:43:31 PM »
 Yes Flo & Allison as a team LMAO Could you imagine ??

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 12:06:32 AM »
No way, i would want them to go first  :-\

Offline Cole

• 'RFF Hottie' - This is my life
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Sunshine
    • It's you. Not me.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 08:24:58 AM »
Peach, TAR 2, and Frank, TAR 1

:()()
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" RFF official web board antagonist naked flamin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' stalker \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Google Talk - nikeos@gmail.com

[IM

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 01:08:23 AM »
That was a good article and very true.  I would love to see Rudy and Richard be a team on the Amazing Race.  I think they would do well together. :)()

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 01:16:44 AM »
Rudy and Rich on a team together?  That might be fun to watch, lol...
Wow! I would love to see Rudy/Rich as a team on AR, but I wonder if Rudy is up to it now?  The older folks don't seem to make it very far in TAR.

Just don't put Flo or Allison in together or w/ anyone else!!! PUhleezz.

An all-star TAR is a great idea, but like t says...NO celebs.  I didn't like Celebrity Mole at all...

Well, this is an interesting article puddin.  thanks!

Offline Blue Jean Baby

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 07:47:25 AM »
i wondered how long it would take you to notice that Rudy and Richard thing Rudy Rules, i started to point you to it the other night, lol.

t