Author Topic: Please come and SAVE the TAR page on Wikipedia.  (Read 25133 times)

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Please come and SAVE the TAR page on Wikipedia.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
I just want to ask you guys what you like and do not like about the current formatting of the TAR pages on Wikipedia, particularly season 25's.

For me, I actually like the multiple paragraph for the tasks description per leg better than the bullet format for additional tasks. It gives better flow than darting your eyes back and forth between the Detour/Roadblock and ARIs. Though I would like to add markers or icons for major tasks like Detours and Roadblocks, it doesn't really match with Wikipedia's general design.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
Wow, 32-1, now that's what I call a blowout!  :o
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
Actually, there's one more thing, and I'm curious for you guys' opinions.

Remember after the first leg of TAR24, a bunch of teams had their positions shuffled? Margie & Luke checked in 4th, but left 3rd, and others such as that. What do you think should be shown in the 'Leg 1' column? It was my opinion that the "new" placements should be there (ML - 3rd) because these placements were the result of time credit corrections and were basically the producers "correcting/fixing" earlier mistakes. Ryulong was hotly adamant that the "old" placements should be there instead (ML - 4th) because ???
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
I feel like the old ones should be there because that's what they actually got, but I think there still should be a footnote stating their departing positions :)

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »
But my view is that's NOT what they got. Margie & Luke showed up in 4th because production slowed them down, and that's why they got their time credit, meaning they should have shown up in 3rd.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
I have to agree with GB. The main reason why their placements shuffled for the departure time is because of production difficulties (aka the show's fault). If it weren't for those problems, they would have gotten the positions that they got during the departure order.

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
One of the arguments I gave Ryulong was "For years, we showed Paul & Amie as 4th after they arrived in 5th but were given a credit to move up to 4th" and he was like oh, well I'd better go change it then (facepalm)

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
1. Old format. I get that going back and forth is annoying, but even split into paragraphs it's too damn hard to find anything in any of the proposed new formats - and the important details get lost in a sea of "the clue teams received at Tower Bridge told them to...". The reason they're split up to begin with was because we have the little marker logos for Detours and Road Blocks and Fast Forwards, and we don't have them for random extra tasks. I also don't think "this is how other shows do it, therefore this is how we must do it" will work. Because if you haven't noticed, TAR is not like other shows.

2. Whatever position they are in at the end of the episode should be their listed order, with other changes included as part of the notes. That's the only real middle ground between the "but who cares if they left in fourth?" camp and the "but if we listed their arrival order, Heather and Eve would be first for the leg where they got eliminated!" camp. Generally penalties are mentioned in the first episode but time credits aren't (yes, I know there are exceptions to this, but whatever), and I think that makes perfect sense.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
My position on the results table debate is:
1) if the changes in positions is acknowledged on the show (this episode or the next), the positions should reflect the end result. For example: Terrence & Sarah in the Cambodia leg in season 13. Phil didn't tell them that they were penalized on the mat, but it was mentioned on the show. They arrived in 3rd place, but left in 5th place. Therefore, they would should be in 5th place for that leg.
2) If the change isn't mentioned on the show, the pit stop arrival would be used. For example: in Asia 2, Diane & Ann's and Natasha & Paula's positions changed between legs without being acknowledged, so the leg arrivals were used instead of the departures.

The argument here is that no official sources say what actually happened. We could infer (and be probably right, but nothing is confirmed). The gray area then is whether non-official acknoledgements count, such as the TAR 24 Leg 1 positions. Since the reason behind the position changes was tweeted, but no official statement or notes were made, does this count or not. Current rule is that it doesn't count, since ... well, it's a tweet, not exactly the best of the best. There are also rules regarding original research and other things...
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
The RFF Wiki's down! o:

Offline TAR789

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
The RFF Wiki's down! o:

Hoping it will be back soon  :(

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
I don't know if this goes here.. but I once found a leaderboard that did clue by clue of the race? does anyone know where I would find that?

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
I don't know if this goes here.. but I once found a leaderboard that did clue by clue of the race? does anyone know where I would find that?

That was on the RFF wiki, but it's down atm :(
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Yeah, those are implemented for TAR 1-13, TAR 21, and TAR Asia 1-3

Offline TAR789

• RFF Jr. Member

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
If anyone can find a way to back up the contents of the wiki, you win brownie points.

Offline I ♥ TAR

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Edit

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:37:32 AM by Tarrrrr »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
It's probably a little late for me say something here now, but kudos to you all for thinking this through seriously and not allowing Ryulong to continue dominating the TAR pages on Wikipedia. Way back during Seasons 12-17 I used to edit those pages quite a bit (before this current period of my relative inactivity) and I would constantly get into edit wars with him. He would just revert all my changes without ever considering their validity. Needless to say, it got very old.

So thanks for taking him on and working to keep the Wikipedia pages awesome. If I had more time for it, I would certainly join you in your cause.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and say hi! :xmas49
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
 :xmas49 Lovely to see you Hooky!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
You too, Peach! :xmas49
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 11:35:02 PM »
I forgot to mention, but Ryulong got banned for a period of One Year. I think it started in December.

You may just notice that the TAR pages look a tiny bit better now.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 12:28:37 AM »
I forgot to mention, but Ryulong got banned for a period of One Year. I think it started in December.

You may just notice that the TAR pages look a tiny bit better now.

Still doesn't help, I absolutely LOATHE the paragraph form =/

Offline TerraformingYou

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Where in the world is the route map?! 0_o
I might have OCD but it's really annoying that the map of the route isn't in the page..

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
I agree with gamer. Bullet points let you find what you want straight away without trying to delve through paragraphs of slush.

Online G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »
Where in the world is the route map?! 0_o
I might have OCD but it's really annoying that the map of the route isn't in the page..

Apparently no-one felt like making it, so I only just made one last night (a super crappy one)