Author Topic: CBS selling LIVE STREAM Web Subscriptions  (Read 3043 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
CBS selling LIVE STREAM Web Subscriptions
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »
Now CBS Is Selling Web Subscriptions to Its Shows, Too
October 16, 2014, 6:00 AM PDTBy Peter Kafka

Yesterday, HBO announced plans to sell Web video subscriptions. Today, CBS.

CBS?

Yup, CBS. The broadcaster is also getting into the digital video subscription business, with an offering that will let users watch almost any show it airs, live or on demand, on a variety of devices.

And like the HBO plan, this one doesn’t require users to have a traditional pay-TV subscription: All you need is an Internet connection and $6 a month.

But there are several big differences between CBS’s Web video service and the one HBO talked about yesterday.

For starters, CBS is selling access to shows that are technically available for free to anyone with a broadcast antenna. And unlike HBO’s service, this one isn’t theoretical: CBS is selling “CBS All Access” right now, via its CBS.com site and its mobile apps.

Think of the service as part Hulu, part Aereo, with tweaks: Like Hulu, the service powered by CBS competitors Fox, NBC and ABC, CBS All Access will give viewers a big library of old shows, as well as ones that have appeared as recently as the night before.

And like Aereo, the startup CBS successfully sued, CBS All Access will let viewers stream shows live, via the Web, to phones, tablets and computers.

The live streams are designed to be counted by Nielsen, and will run with the same ads that appear on regular TV. Some of the newer on-demand shows will also have ads, though for now CBS says it will cut down the frequency of those spots by 25 percent. Shows that are no longer on the air will run ad-free.

Like most digital media offerings, the service also comes with gaps and caveats. The biggest one is that the service can’t show the NFL games that CBS broadcasts on Sunday afternoons and Thursday nights, because it doesn’t have streaming rights to those.

For now, the shows CBS will livestream are only available in the 14 cities where CBS owns the local CBS station, including New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. And the depth of CBS’s on-demand access to recent shows varies depending on whether it owns the program it aired, or if an outside studio like Warner Bros. made the show.

Read more here: http://recode.net/2014/10/16/now-cbs-is-selling-web-subscriptions-to-its-shows-too/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: CBS selling LIVE STREAM Web Subscriptions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
$6 is cheap  :o

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »
Well, considering I don't really watch anything else on CBS other than TAR and football I guess this isn't for me?

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »
I'm in if I can watch old old old old BB/TAR/Surv

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:05 PM »
Doubt it....but who knows?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »
Actually , they are saying lots of old eps!!

For me, the live stream is the deal breaker. Right now it is available Only in these cities.

Live TV is only available in Baltimore, MD (WJZ), Boston, MA (Manchester, NH) (WBZ), Chicago, IL (WBBM), Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX (KTVT), Denver, CO (KCNC), Detroit, MI (WWJ), Los Angeles, CA (KCBS), Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL (WFOR), Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN (WCCO), New York, NY (WCBS), Philadelphia, PA (KYW), Pittsburgh, PA (KDKA), Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA (KOVR) and San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA (KPIX).
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
I give them credit for trying to adjust to the new world, but I don't think they've found the right "mix" of benefits yet. Maybe, for example, they could partner with a foreign broadcaster like BBC or CBC to ease country restrictions: as part of a premium package, we could watch their stuff and they could watch our programs.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
I would be willing to try this...IF the LIVE feature was available in my area.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »
I just took a look at cbs.com and they appear to be streaming ALL episodes from ALL seasons of TAR, Survivor and Big Brother. I clicked on a random early episode of TAR and got invited to get a 1 week free trial subscription, which I didn't do.

They also have several seasons of 60 Minutes for those who want to relive telling Andy Rooney to hurry up and get to the point so that TAR can start.  :snicker:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
If I was in one of the LIVE streaming neighborhoods I would do this in a flash...but next day is not so appealing. But instant access to ALL Of TAR is a goldmine!
RFF's Golden Rule: